• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LucasArts: "Amazing news coming Monday [...] awesome news for our old school fans"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

Xater said:
Not only that but it would also fill the space-sim void.

What if they did real time damage on capital ship hulls?

What if instead of slowly whittling down a Hull Integrity percentage you could actually fire a volley of torpedoes at a Star Destroyers 'neck' and just cut the bridge away from the rest of the ship?

And yeah, the world needs a new awesome space sim.

duckroll

There are only two sorts of oldschool Lucasarts fans. The adventure game fans, and the Star Wars space sim fans. I'm kinda leaning on the latter, because Monkey Island SE already got announced...

epmode

Sinatar said:
I would die of a joy attack if it was a new X-Wing/Tie Fighter game but life isn't that good. I suspect it'll be some rerelease of classic games or somesuch.
Even if there was a new game in the series, I can't help but think that it would be some hyper-arcadey Rogue Squadron ripoff, rather than THE MOST AWESOME SPACE SIM IN THE HISTORY OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION.

Mrbob

This has to be adventure game related.

LucasArts has a massive treasure load of old school adventure games ready to be released onto the gaming public once more.

If better not be star wars related. :x

Nif

I never got into the Lucasarts adventure games as a kid, so I'm really hoping they're talking about a space sim. :/ Dark Forces game would rock, too, but that's not really oldschool.

epmode

Nif said:
I never got into the Lucasarts adventure games as a kid
You should fix that.

Man, Lucasarts used to be the best dev house around. EVERYTHING was gold. ..and then Rebellion hit and it was downhill from there. I'm still depressed by what happened to them.

duckroll

Mrbob said:
This has to be adventure game related.

LucasArts has a massive treasure load of old school adventure games ready to be released onto the gaming public once more.

If better not be star wars related. :x

But like I said, they just announced Monkey Island SE. It would only be fair to have something on the X-Wing/Tie-Fighter side now to balance it out.

androvsky

I'm a big fan of both the Star Wars space sims and Lucasarts adventure games, there's almost no way this can go bad for me. Even a Jedi Knight 1 remake would be cool.

So it's probably Dark Forces. With bad hair. :(

Mrbob

Or it could just be the tipping point of re-releasing all their adventure games through a digital format i.e. steam. It wouldn't cost them much just to get the games up. Free money!

I could accept a xwing/tie fighter remake, but I would still be disappointed.

From Twitter:
It doesn't have to do with any specific intellectual property...

So forget about X-wing or MI or anything like that.
It's a re-release of some kind of their old library. Either Steam or Portable. Probably iphone.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
civilstrife said:
So forget about X-wing or MI or anything like that.
It's a re-release of some kind of their old library. Either Steam or Portable. Probably iphone.

Why not DS? Didn't they speak, not to long ago, about looking into releasing their classic adventure games on platforms like the DS?

Hesemonni

Banned
epmode said:
Even if there was a new game in the series, I can't help but think that it
would be some hyper-arcadey Rogue Squadron ripoff, rather than THE MOST AWESOME SPACE SIM IN THE HISTORY OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION.
That would be Freespace 2.

Xater

Shiggy said:
Star Wars Rogue Squadron is not old-school :/

It's probably the release of classic games on XBLA.

No one is talking about Rogue Squadron. That game is nothing compared to the X-Wing series.

Shiggy

Xater said:
No one is talking about Rogue Squadron. That game is nothing compared to the X-Wing series.

I didn't say that anyone was talking about Rogue Squadron; I was rather talking to myself ;)

There is too many old Lucasarts IPs that I would want that I'm guaranteed to be disapointed.

I want this to be something on XBLA

1. Dark Forces II : Jedi Knight
2. Grim Fandango
3. Day of the Tentacle / Full Throttle
4. Tie Fighter

Not sure I'd trust the current Lucasarts to do something new with an existing IP and not botch it.

Davidion

"We're going to milk some IPs and wreck your gaming nostalgia all over again!"

1qq3cn.gif
1qq3cn.gif
1qq3cn.gif

Calcaneus

I'm no marketing expert, but don't announcements usually go over better when the audience doesn't huge expectations in their mind because you promised "amazing news"? Why wouldn't they just lay it on us?

epmode

Calcaneus said:
I'm no marketing expert, but don't announcements usually go over better when the audience doesn't huge expectations in their mind because you promised "amazing news"? Why wouldn't they just lay it on us?
Because announcements of announcements are the new awesome. Ask Konami.

Fucking Twitter.

duckroll said:
There are only two sorts of oldschool Lucasarts fans. The adventure game fans, and the Star Wars space sim fans. I'm kinda leaning on the latter, because Monkey Island SE already got announced...
Not true. There are also the very old school fans from the 8-bit computer days where Lucasfilm Games (aka LucasArts) made their debut with games like Ballblazer, Rescue on Fractalus, and Koronis Rift. :)

As for the announcement...HD renditions of classic SCUMM stuff?

Meesh

Calcaneus said:
I'm no marketing expert, but don't announcements usually go over better when the audience doesn't huge expectations in their mind because you promised "amazing news"?
Probably because whatever's announced will support...

...Motion plus! *Spoooooooooooooooogizzzzzzle* :D :D :D

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Tie Fighter/X-wing on consoles/PC with multiplayer.

Maniac Mansion/DOTT remake/sequel.

...of course, it will end up being Zak McCracken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom