• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucy Bradshaw - You don't want to play SimCity offline!

StUnNeR H2K

"We keep the simulation state of the region up to date for all players. Even when playing solo, this keeps the interactions between cities up to date in a shared view of the world."

More lies. My single player region that I've been building up myself has not stayed up-to-date. I built a great works and so far the only cities that can see the great works is the cities attached to it. When I load a city that isn't connected to the great works I built I don't see it... Thought the whole point of the great works was the benefit the region? Not just the 3-4 cities attached to it.

I love SimCity. Played the crap out of it on PC & SNES growing up, but this has been a massive failure. I would love a single player offline mode where everything was working locally. Just seems they don't want to provide this... if the online thing was so important then why was it in the one feature that flopped day one?

I'll pick the game back up later, but once the circus act is over.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I just love the tone of the PR spin coming out of Maxis after this debacle, trying desperately to convince people that losing options is a good thing.

Yes, I like the online connectivity features of SimCity, they're quite good once it all works fine (Which as we know, it doesn't because much of it is disabled). I also like the option of playing while offline, or at my sisters on a laptop without the internet etc. How is removing that option in any way a good thing?

DR2K

Banned
But we’re also hearing from thousands of people who are playing across regions, trading, communicating and loving the Always-Connected functionality.

PR has to be the easiest job in the world.

ido

lol

Seems pretty practical to offer both, considering how fucking easy it would appear to be to have an offline mode.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I wonder how much it would've cost to make an offline mode.
not more than 44k (console patch price) =D

lol

Seems pretty practical to offer both, considering how fucking easy it would appear to be to have an offline mode.
I already made it easy
\

and make it 2 different cities/options.

Want to play City1? Please connect to the internet.

Want to play city2? loading....

^ why the fucking hell they couldn't/didn't do this?

(all the Sims are happy, the criminals can't create serious crime since there's no commercial or industrial, city is profitable, nobody has a job, tax money is coming from thin air, there's no other cities in the region)

That's some broken shit right there. Residential areas are immune to crime? Ha!

I have the belief that game developers can and should ignore the fans and do what they think will be fun. If Maxis thinks they should break the Sim City mold and make an online-centric game, then they should. One criticism of EA is that many of their games are "safe" or too derivative, so they should try to do something unique. If developers weren't allowed to do this, we wouldn't have gotten half the Zelda games we do, like Majora's Mask or Wind Waker.

However, the game still has to be good. If the final product is unpolished, the lack of servers prevent people from playing, or the game doesn't deliver on many of the developer's promises, then they should not blame anyone but themselves when people reject their game.

I can't stand shameless PR. I don't think anyone, even commenters, can be posted on Polygon now. Not like I ever went there, but recently with this whole debacle I have visited a few times.

But we’re also hearing from thousands of people who are playing across regions, trading, communicating and loving the Always-Connected functionality.

They must be CG people.

She's right though. I don't want to play SimCity.

GetemMa

She's right. After playing it for 20 hours online I have no desire left to play it at all.

The game kind of sucks. I try to avoid games that suck.

Why not an actual community manager to write this?

I can only presume that the job fell to Lucy Bradshaw because it was the closest available open job slot on her way into work.

Sethos

Banned
325sqr.png

Umi88

we’re also hearing from thousands of people who are playing across regions, trading, communicating and loving the Always-Connected functionality

people loving the online functionalities? sure.. but people loving the always-connected DRM?... dont think so

Mindlog

Whatever, Obi-Wan.
I'll be looking forward to the inevitable updates that vastly reduce region dependency. I've already seen many players get pissed when others stop playing their cities. This is only going to become a bigger problem as player counts fluctuate. There's only a slim chance this will become the Farmville they hope it will.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

LoL wat? seroiusly fuckin wat the wat??? Mayhaps they made two versions ... and one was managed/coded by the daughters of the actual employees on take your kid to work day?

that getfudgedpop command should just say "getfucked.lovemaxis"

MYE

I hate to disturb you when you’re playing SimCity, but I’d like to offer some straight answers on the topic: Always-Connected and why SimCity is not an offline experience.

hah, I like her already

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I hate to disturb you while you sit in a queue...

JDSN

Banned
Bradshaw’s post, which appears to be some sort of attempt at damage limitation – without actually ever addressing the issues raised – re-emphasises the point that they wanted it to be always online because of how they designed the game. She then lists the functions those server sums supply. And they’re what we already knew – they let the social game be social. This list that is basically just “the game has co-operative multiplayer” eight times seems to be an attempt to reveal just how grand this aspect is, how intrinsic it is to… something. It doesn’t manage this. What we’re learning from the many players posting videos, and the reviewers who actually played the game properly before smothering it with rosettes, is that those regional functions don’t work very well either.

Geez, I wonder at who is that rightful Walker ether aimed at.

I just honestly don't even want to play this anymore at this point.

I got it launch day and after it started working, I actually had some fun with some friends. But the broken nature of the game and the fact that it seems like it's not even reacting to what you're doing while BUILDING your city has soured me completely...

nekomix

PR department delivered :) They keep digging for their core, I really hope for them that their social crap will appeal some people because I'm not one of them :/

Top Bottom