• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lunar Genesis for DS IS a new game in the Lunar RPG series!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Culex

Banned
I own Grandia II on the PC. It's not as bad a port as people would like to lead you to believe. Sure, it's glitchy at first, but once you get the settings right, it runs perfectly.

jarrod said:
But GameArts has already announced Project GO and a DS RPG... unless Project GO is actually Grandia 3. But it's confirmed to be online already, which would be weird shift. :/

What do you think Project GO is? ;-)

As far as the DS RPG, it is almost assuredly outsourced to another team.

jarrod

Banned
MassiveAttack said:
What do you think Project GO is? ;-)
Well, going by the little information we have, it's MMORPG that's going to be publisheed by Gung Ho Online. Gotta say I'm a bit dissapointed if that's going to be Grandia 3. :/

MassiveAttack said:
As far as the DS RPG, it is almost assuredly outsourced to another team.
That's possible I guess, similar to Kama Digital handling Gun Griffon Xbox. It seems strange that Game Arts would announce it themselves then though (they didn't say anything about GG Xbox, Kama and then Tecmo did all the PR there)... I figured it'd be that Pure Dragon game they were working on for GBA shifted over.

EBwiz

On Lunar Genesis' behalf...

My comment about the DS having a retro feel wasn't worded properly. What I really mean is, that's were you're going to see 2D in the future, is the DS. Yes, the PSP has the more powerful engine, so what are developer's going to do? Make 3D games on it. It's why Konami is giving almost equal support to the DS and PSP. I bet if we look at the majority of Konami's listings for PSP, they are 3D games. Yet Castlevania DS and other 2D games are seeing life on the DS? Why? Because it's the PSP. I know that sounds dumb, but that's what the developers are going for. It 'feels' right. It's why you won't see a 2D Castlevania on PS2 either, but you will see the new, 3D games. Lunar is no exception to this rule, it's feel, it's appeal, is 2D, SNES style game play... which developers are going to feel more at home developing on the DS, then they will the PSP, despite the PSP being the more powerful system. It's like this: You have a kid, you know he can be the best, so are you going to raise him to be mediocre? No, of course not, you want your child to be the best, so developers are going to give their PSP games, their children, the most potential they can have, which is 3D. Sony's hate of 3D in the past is well construded, and I'm sure alot of biasness has caried over, but even past that, I'm sure developers would want to make and fill out their UMDs to the best of their potential, so you're going to see mainly 3D gaming on PSP... as for the DS, well, gimmicks aside, it's where the 2D gaming is going to be seen, be it Castlevania, Harvest Moon, or Lunar. Long as we can accept that, we can forget this stupid handheld biasness and just enjoy a new Lunar... provided it's not another Lunar Legends, my true concern.

What'd be so bad about Lunar being 3D anyway? Cell shade that or give it the KH look and it'll be perfectly fine in 3D. It's likely going to continue the turnbased style of the previous Lunar RPG's, so whether its 2D or 3D isn't really going to affect the actual gameplay.

Monk

Banned
dark10x said:
Now, what I'm saying really doesn't make sense from a business standpoint.

And thats the bottom line.

The whole point of making games on the DS is to make the games interface simple on the user and try and get into a new userbase. You also have the fact that the user base on the PSP will be much less inclined to buy a 2d game. And the fact that the PSP has a much greater amount of 2d rpgs that its going to be competing with(nearly all the traditional RPG's on it are 2d).

And if it wasnt going to be made for the DS, do you think that vic may have got the go ahead from the publishers to make the game on the "superior" consoles? The chances are that a sequel may never come. Keeping it 2d also reduces costs making the game.

demi

Culex said:
I own Grandia II on the PC. It's not as bad a port as people would like to lead you to believe. Sure, it's glitchy at first, but once you get the settings right, it runs perfectly.

I've got that as well, I've been meaning to fire it up on my PC for some reason...

I still haven't finished Grandia II.

Tsubaki

dark10x said:
Though Grandia Xtreme looked better than all of them

Er, I beg to differ. I was really disappointed in Xtreme's look. It was like they took the engine they used to build Grandia II, and then thought of many ways to remove its personality and make it bland.

Yeah, I love Xtreme too. That game always gets unfairly shat upon. :(

Or it's a Grandia game with the awesome battle system... but without anything else. Add in horrible game design in the inability to progress at the end of the game until you've gone back to re-clear older dungeons because you're way underpowered otherwise, and you wonder how GA has fallen so much.

I was so excited about Xtreme and forked out $70 for the import on release date. It was such a middle finger to the fans. Like Sakura Taisen 4.

Shouta

Tsubaki said:
Er, I beg to differ. I was really disappointed in Xtreme's look. It was like they took the engine they used to build Grandia II, and then thought of many ways to remove its personality and make it bland.

I thought Grandia II looked like it didn't have personality and was bland while Grandia Xtreme was vibrant and interesting myself. Quite the opposite heh.

Tsubaki said:
Or it's a Grandia game with the awesome battle system... but without anything else. Add in horrible game design in the inability to progress at the end of the game until you've gone back to re-clear older dungeons because you're way underpowered otherwise, and you wonder how GA has fallen so much.

I was so excited about Xtreme and forked out $70 for the import on release date. It was such a middle finger to the fans. Like Sakura Taisen 4.

While they could've easily designed it to be easier on the progression, it really doesn't fit with the type of game it is. It was designed to be a dungeon crawleer and "inability to progress at the end of the game" is sort of the spiel of that type of game. If there's anything to blast Grandia Xtreme on, it's the lack of dungeons in the game and slightly obtuse/annoying Egg system.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Damn I missed alot of good DS news over the last couple of days.

(St. Patricks Day haze)

Anyway, I loved Lunar, and it's been a long time. This should kick much ass.

Blackbird

EBwiz said:
It's why Konami is giving almost equal support to the DS and PSP. I bet if we look at the majority of Konami's listings for PSP, they are 3D games. Yet Castlevania DS and other 2D games are seeing life on the DS? Why? Because it's the PSP. I know that sounds dumb, but that's what the developers are going for. It 'feels' right. It's why you won't see a 2D Castlevania on PS2 either, but you will see the new, 3D games.

I could be wrong here, but out of the 4 DS games Konami showed during the past few months, three were '3D' (Dragon Booster, Lost in Blue and Frogger) and one was '2D' (Castlevania).
Add the 3D-ish Yu-Gi-Oh: Nightmare Troubadour and I've got a feeling your reply was based on just one game.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Blackbird said:
I could be wrong here, but out of the 4 DS games Konami showed during the past few months, three were '3D' (Dragon Booster, Lost in Blue and Frogger) and one was '2D' (Castlevania).
Add the 3D-ish Yu-Gi-Oh: Nightmare Troubadour and I've got a feeling your reply was based on just one game.

and one is 2.5D (Goemon)

I dont get it.

Are you Ds haters saying that the Ds is inferior because it has lower graphics than the Psp?
The Psp isnt even the most powerful protanle gaming device on the market, a laptop Pc is. Are you guys suggesting that all games should be made for a laptop Pc becuase it has better graphics than a Psp.

Please, elaborate.

ChronoMagnus said:
I dont get it.

Are you Ds haters saying that the Ds is inferior because it has lower graphics than the Psp?
The Psp isnt even the most powerful protanle gaming device on the market, a laptop Pc is. Are you guys suggesting that all games should be made for a laptop Pc becuase it has better graphics than a Psp.

Please, elaborate.

Dammit. I was expecting new info on Lunar Genesis. There's probably a thousand DS/PSP debates going on in other threads. Why resurrect this one?

duckroll

BobbyRobby said:
Dammit. I was expecting new info on Lunar Genesis. There's probably a thousand DS/PSP debates going on in other threads. Why resurrect this one?

Cause he's trying to troll and he's afraid he'll get eaten in the other threads. He was probably hoping that since no one gives a shit about Lunar anymore, the regular people won't be posting here and he can fight with small fishes. :lol

Ha. I have posted my arguements on other threads too.

Afraid of what? Thats someone isnt going to agree with my opinion? :lol
The reason I bring up stuff is because i believe its relavant to the topic.

But i still dont have any hate towards you duckroll, i guess ignorance is bliss.

BuddyC

ChronoMagnus said:
Ha. I have posted my arguements on other threads too.

Afraid of what? Thats someone isnt going to agree with my opinion? :lol
The reason I bring up stuff is because i believe its relavant to the topic.

But i still dont have any hate towards you duckroll, i guess ignorance is bliss.
There's enough PSP/DS debate occurring elsewhere, you didn't need to bump this. This, by the way, is your warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom