• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

m.2 SSD is shit! (TITLE UPDATED)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
use the right screwdriver and you'll be fine.

also m.2 nvme is nice but for games it's not really worth it. well, i mean SATA at this point is not gonna be updated so NVME is the future but SATA is just fine for games. until NVME becomes more standard then it's only really useful to people doing heavy work on their PC.

xool

Pics or it didn't happen.

Apparently they use a M2 ISO Screw thread screw - is that why they call it an M2 drive ?

btw once you know the size you can buy boxes of 100s of this shit in 316 Stainless Steel for next to nothing from Shenzhen .. and have a good nights sleep

longdi

Banned
Are we talking ps3 blue hard drive screw levels of shitty?
Slightly better or the same. Be ware potential m.2 ssd buyers. Dont screw too hard, make sure it has even clearance if you get those with taller heatsink.

Oh and dont lose it, on some motherboard it comes prefix or others in a tiny bag. Im against sata cables, but m.2 needs a little rethink in form factor

Last edited:

keraj37

Never had an issue with them. I think they're great.

Unless they are made by
477.jpg

TaySan

Banned
Yup i have 2 of them for my new 3900x build and everything loads so much faster. OS, Games and all and the installation is easy without any cables.

Pimpbaa

also m.2 nvme is nice but for games it's not really worth it. well, i mean SATA at this point is not gonna be updated so NVME is the future but SATA is just fine for games. until NVME becomes more standard then it's only really useful to people doing heavy work on their PC.

That' t may not be the case when next gen consoles come out and the ports of their games on PC.

As far as the screw goes, realistically how often will you be removing it? Seems like once it is installed that would be it unless you were upgrading to a larger capacity one, and that one would come with a new screw. So not really sure I understand the complaint in the first place. Properly sized screwdriver - install - done.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
stripped a screw on my brothers laptop changing the wifi card. had to go at it with pillars...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

The next gen consoles will help gaming as a whole with all of this.

Futaleufu

My Gigabyte Aorus board came with a decent size screw/standoff combo and a heatsink that makes the SSD M.2 run at 28ª C. The other SSD I have in another computer runs at 50-55ª C

I've seen a few YouTube videos comparing m2 to SSD load speeds and, while it tends to be a bit all over the place at times, in the main the takeaway is that you're spending more money on m2 and only shaving off 1 or 2 seconds. I saw one or two instances where the difference was 4 seconds, but that seemed to be the exception, rather than the rule. It's certainly not an HDD to SSD improvement. Hell, it's not even a 10% improvement in most cases.

Kagero

Thread title is like an M Night movie. Came in excited expecting one thing, and leaving triggered and disappointed :/

I've seen a few YouTube videos comparing m2 to SSD load speeds and, while it tends to be a bit all over the place at times, in the main the takeaway is that you're spending more money on m2 and only shaving off 1 or 2 seconds. I saw one or two instances where the difference was 4 seconds, but that seemed to be the exception, rather than the rule. It's certainly not an HDD to SSD improvement. Hell, it's not even a 10% improvement in most cases.
Outside of high end drives I dont see much difference in price.

One thing I've noticed a massive difference in was game installs that validate the files before completion.

KungFucius

King Snowflake

Interesting. I wonder what the bottleneck is. Is the OS also installed on the same drive as the games in these tests? Do the controllers just kind of suck compared to Samsung? The PCIe 4 drive just barely beats the gen 3 EVO. Though it is cheaper so its worth it. Similar delta for traditional SSDs to M2 drvies. You get about a 5% improvment in load times tops going NVME over SSD and at best half of that gain again going for a new NVME PCIe gen4 over an EVO.

I watched a comparison video between HDD, SSD, NVME and damn. I am glad the solid state options are cheap enough nowadays.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
well it def is smaller .
old ssd's are allready stupid fast.
maybe when consoles makers start using them it will actually be useful for gaming.

Dontero

Banned

NVME isn't any faster than sata for games. NVME makes sense when you have large files and you need to copy them over to other NVME drive, but when it comes to reading a lot of small files it has effectively same perfomance as SATA3 ssd.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

NVME isn't any faster than sata for games. NVME makes sense when you have large files and you need to copy them over to other NVME drive, but when it comes to reading a lot of small files it has effectively same perfomance as SATA3 ssd.

Wrong.

I got sata 3 ssd evo 850 samsung i believe 512gb and its far slower then a 970 evo plus m2 drive. I use both of them to benchmark with and frankly big loading games u see a drastical change in performance. Also less spikes in games because of background loading. Which reduces pop in and stuttering. BDO its really visible on this front.

Some games won't profit out of it like league of legends or path of exile, because most of the time its about connections that you wait on instead of loading times. But in games like ac unity/origin there is a big difference between the two. It also helps big time with emulation and dealing with large shader files.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
I got sata 3 ssd evo 850 samsung i believe 512gb and its far slower then a 970 evo plus m2 drive. I use both of them to benchmark with and frankly big loading games u see a drastical change in performance. Also less spikes in games because of background loading. Which reduces pop in and stuttering. BDO its really visible on this front.

That is remarkable considering every single benchmark doesn't show this.

Shai-Tan

Banned
yeah from what i've seen there's little if any difference with current games but I put all my games on nvme anyway. I also put all my Plex metadata on an sx8200 (nvme) and have no idea if it makes accessing it any faster than a normal ssd.

Last edited:

Ailike

Interesting. I wonder what the bottleneck is. Is the OS also installed on the same drive as the games in these tests? Do the controllers just kind of suck compared to Samsung? The PCIe 4 drive just barely beats the gen 3 EVO. Though it is cheaper so its worth it. Similar delta for traditional SSDs to M2 drvies. You get about a 5% improvment in load times tops going NVME over SSD and at best half of that gain again going for a new NVME PCIe gen4 over an EVO.

I watched a comparison video between HDD, SSD, NVME and damn. I am glad the solid state options are cheap enough nowadays.
I don't know where they got those prices. I just bought a 970 evo (not plus) for half the price of the corsair. Thats the reason I made that purchase. Half the price for a current small difference in performance is a big deal. When the 4.0 controllers get better or when players besides Corsair and Gigabyte throw in, then Ill jump in 4.0.

Riven326

Banned
I use a Samsung SSD in my PS4 Pro. It's a little bit faster. Shame it doesn't take full advantage. But I plan on using it when I finish my pc build in the winter.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Wrong.

Some games won't profit out of it like league of legends or path of exile, because most of the time its about connections that you wait on instead of loading times. But in games like ac unity/origin there is a big difference between the two. It also helps big time with emulation and dealing with large shader files.
frankly big loading games u see a drastical change in performance

Are you selling us or yourself that your m2 purcase was a good one?
any random ssd is a huge jump over old hdd.
between al the ssd's in gaming? hell no

I use a Samsung SSD in my PS4 Pro. It's a little bit faster. Shame it doesn't take full advantage. But I plan on using it when I finish my pc build in the winter.

Mod your ps4 to have rgb fans.
And use liquid metal on your gpu

def will be worth it,
i am planning to watercool mine

Last edited:
Important little distinction: m.2 is a form factor. SATA and NVMe are the actual different standards, and both can come in m.2 (in addition to the standard 2.5" for the former).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Important little distinction: m.2 is a form factor. SATA and NVMe are the actual different standards, and both can come in m.2 (in addition to the standard 2.5" for the former).

Right, and 2.5”,m.2 SATA, and mSATA use different connectors for the SATA i/o transfer.

That’s what sometimes makes it confusing for some.

Last edited:

Ecto311

I have sata ssd and a evo m.2 NVME drive and hardly notice any difference in the 2 drives. Both are light years faster than platter drives but between them I can't tell any difference ssd is ssd it feels like.

Last edited:

demigod

Wrong.

No, there is not much difference in games and there are videos out there. And yes i have nvme.

longdi

Banned
Planning to go all m2 ssd in next build, no more sata cables soon.

In my research, most vfm and performing m2 are corsair mp510 or wd black sn750.
You can ignore the rest.
Intel and crucial dropped the ball.
Samsung has a little premium.
Sabrent is most most vfm, but not sure about warranty support.

Last edited:
Top Bottom