• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M2 President says "Contact Square Enix if you want Seiken Densetsu 3 in English"

antibolo

Banned
We got Earthbound Zero, we can get this.

Not the same thing at all, it was already localized, they just never released it. This is more akin to getting Mother 3, which... hasn't been a success so far.

If this comes out in the west, they'll probably replace SD3 with Secret of Evermore and just call it the "Secret Collection".

I... would definitely buy this. Secret of Evermore is an amazing game.

Pyrrhus

I seem to remember this game being an absolute nightmare for Neil Corlett to disassemble and modify back when Seiken Densetsu 3 was fan translated back in the late '90s. Lots of tiny, hard coded menus designed for kanji, text being scattered all over the ROM in non-sequential order, multiple compression schemes for that text, that kind of of thing. It was like winning a war or something when they managed to release the completed translation patch.

I really don't see the people who were fine with cheap, broken, adulterated ports and remakes of all their legacy games on mobile and Steam being willing to go to that level of trouble for 23 year old ROM-hack on a niche release for what is still a niche system, unfortunately. I would be elated to be wrong, however.

You mean the same Square Enix that needs Nintendo to localize most of its games for DS and 3DS (and Fortune Street)?

Yeah that's not happening.

I seem to remember this game being an absolute nightmare for Neil Corlett to disassemble and modify back when Seiken Densetsu 3 was fan translated back in the late '90s. Lots of tiny, hard coded menus designed for kanji, text being scattered all over the ROM in non-sequential order, multiple compression schemes for that text, that kind of of thing. It was like winning a war or something when they managed to release the completed translation patch.

I really don't see the people who were fine with cheap, broken, adulterated ports and remakes of all their legacy games on mobile and Steam being willing to go to that level of trouble for 23 year old ROM-hack on a niche release for what is still a niche system, unfortunately. I would be elated to be wrong, however.
They gave us Dragon Quest VII last year, anything is possible. Speaking of which...

C'mon France Gaf, help us out one more time lol

Pyrrhus

They gave us Dragon Quest VII last year, anything is possible. Speaking of which...

C'mon France Gaf, help us out one more time lol

DQVII was a suprising thing, yes. But the game was a modern remake already designed in such a way that they could probably more easily translate it since they ran into such trouble when the original DQ7 released. DQ4r on PS1 had to be scrapped because nobody but the original programmers could make any sense of the code and they were busy or out of the business or something along those lines. SD3 is a ROM of the original program rather than a remake, so it's going to be a similar situation to that.

Nairume

Banned
M2's involvement suggests they are taking this at least slightly more seriously.

You mean the same Square Enix that needs Nintendo to localize most of its games for DS and 3DS (and Fortune Street)?

Yeah that's not happening.

Was looking for a way to say this, but came up short.

But pretty much this. Look at SE's effort towards localizing games for Nintendo's systems in the last gen and you can pretty much expect that they won't do it this time. Any effort past collecting money and I'm pretty sure they're out. I'm up for being pleasantly surprised though.

Any major publications report on this yet? If not, can we give a couple places (Kotaku, Siliconera) a heads up? I know they've reported on these kinds of things before.

CamHostage

I seem to remember this game being an absolute nightmare for Neil Corlett to disassemble and modify back when Seiken Densetsu 3 was fan translated back in the late '90s. Lots of tiny, hard coded menus designed for kanji, text being scattered all over the ROM in non-sequential order, multiple compression schemes for that text, that kind of of thing...

Yeah, understood; people are mobilizing probably in reasonable vain here, this isn't just a slam-dunk money-printer.

That said, I am surprised SD 2 & 3 have been so under-utilized by Square Enix in their remake catalog. They have Secret of Mana on iTunes (with adjusted art and other port adjustments) but no Steam release, no console/portable release, no totally remastered/kinda-screwed-up redraw of all the art ala FF, no 3D remake ala other FF (they did remake SD 1 for Vita/Mobile not too long ago, authentic play yet 3D graphics, was an interesting remake to study wrongs and rights of remaking,) no version of the game ever with online play... These two games are sought after by Square Enix fans but have mostly been passed over by the S-E machine.

Dalius

Tweeted to SE for the second time about this (first time was when the game was announced). I'd like this very much.

ys45

Can't wait to see this getting localized and then people starting to complain that it's 50$ for 3 roms with little options :p

Edit: I'm not against the localization by any means , just stating the obvious

CazTGG

My work here is done.

a4qSOtF.png

I wonder if the first 2 games will at least have English options, since they already exist, for the Japanese release.

Good question. I know M2's JP exclusive Phantasy Star Collection and Monster World Complete Collection were bilingual for all games that had an English language release.

Can't wait to see this getting localized and then people starting to complain that it's 50$ for 3 roms with little options :p

Edit: I'm not against the localization by any means , just stating the obvious
M2 are some of the best in the business when it comes to retro game emulation. Even if it is "just 3 roms", the quality will be exceptional and I will gladly eat crow if that's not the case.

TheEndOfItAll

Neo Member
Man, if Falcom's tiny localization team was able to localize the massive Trails in the Sky dialogue, no reason not to do this for SD3.

Good question. I know M2's JP exclusive Phantasy Star Collection and Monster World Complete Collection were bilingual for all games that had an English language release.

I'm importing regardless, but I'd be content with at least that much. Secret of Mana has more of a special place to me anyways. Having that physical again will mean the world to me.

Hellraider

This isnt happening.
Unless they are planning on putting the game also on mobile and other systems - just for the Switch collection ? I dont thnk so.

I'm pretty confident that this is exactly what they plan on doing. Release them on the Switch first for 5000 yen or so and then release the third game on mobile for whatever much they ask for it there.

There is a good chance that they have both a mobile and worldwide release in mind which would mean that they are already working on translating the third game. All this may or may not include the switch version(s), though.

I think it would be better if the iPetition title/statement covered Europe as well, instead of just USA. Plenty of SD3 fans on this continent too!

Begging companies to release localized products. Please, multinational corporation, put in the effort that fans did 18 years ago when you initially decided it wasn't worth a US release due to physical hardware costs that no longer exist.

MLH

careful what you wish for. I can see this coming to the west, but it'll be it typical SE manner: only the first two games of the collection for $60. No way they're going to translate and put it all the work to localize SD3.

I still want it though.

MrT-Tar

Signed the petition and contacted S-E.

Since the release of DQVII 3DS last year, I was wondering what my most desired localisation would now be. This game is now the clear number one.

Top Bottom