• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macross Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thaedolus

So I started watching the Macross Saga of Robotech a few days ago, and man am I glad I did. This show has a special place in my heart, the first real 'anime' I ever watched, and really I was completely in love with it. I taped all the episodes off Cartoon Network when it showed up there and now I've got it in DVD quality...not that it's much of an improvement over my VHS tapes

Anyway, I just watched "Bye Bye Mars" last night, and man, for all the crappy animation and somtimes cheesey voice acting, I can still see why I loved this show as a kid. It was so unique compared to the repetetive formulaic shows like GI Joe and (less so) Transformers. I remember really being emotionally effected when
Roy and Ben die
later on, and Force of Arms was my favorite episode ever. I must have watched it a hundred times, because the dialogue is still imprinted in my head. And aside from Minmay's songs, the American show really had a lot of catchy tunes too. Whoever did the music did a good job, and I would buy a CD of it if I could.

Whatever Carl Macek did is moot, the Macross Saga rocks and stands on its own. If there was ever a show that needed to be remade with modern animation, it's Macross.

macross-.gif

You should pick the entire seires up on DVD, there is even a mew remastered version that just started release a few months back. I still have yetto watch every single episode...was plannning to do that last X-mas.....

Macross Plus is outstaning, and I've seen some of the Macross 3 series form Japan, good stuff!!

teepo

FUCK YEH

EVERYONE BUY THE YAMATOS NOW!

and if you're lucky, snag the 1/48's. i had a chance to buy the stealth valkyre one for 140 last year but no... NOOOOO, i decided to save the money to take my x out to eat or something :(.

FnordChan

macross-logo.jpg

Ah, Macross. Sweet, sweet Macross.

If you're a fan of the original series in any way whatsoever, pony up for the hyper-swank AnimEigo remaster rather than the completely ass ADV release of Robotech. It's so worth the extra scratch.

max-pimp.jpg

It's a damn shame that Macross: Do You Remember Love? isn't available in the US. It's sweet Macross lovin' of the highest order. (Though, re-watching it recently, I must admit that the middle portion fo the film is damn near interminable.)

Summ842.gif

The hardcore should also keep an eye out for Flashback 2012. Granted, it's mostly a collection of Minmei music videos, but the tidbits of new animation (including footage of Hikaru, Misa, and Minmei leaving on the Megaroad-01) is worth the effort.

mroadad.gif

"A new life awaits you in the Off-World colonies! The chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure..."

As for Macross II...

zChouzikuu_Yousai_Macross_-_Macross_II.png

...okay, let's just skip Macross II.

For the record: Macross Plus is pretty and all, but it completely falls apart in the final OVA.

mcr220l.jpg

Yeah, that's right I'm talking to you.

On the flip side, Macross 7 is criminally underrated. I'm the first to admit that it takes a while to get going, but when it does (around the mid-teens) it gets to be pretty freakin' great, and the payoff in the final episodes is phenomenal. One of the best TV shows of the 90s, destined to be a beloved classic, etc, etc, etc. No, really, I'm dead serious here, it's fantastic.

mcr333l.jpg

Mylene says, "Watch it or Gubaba and I will beat the hell out of you."

The verdict is still out on Macross Zero, but I'm betting on "pretty but incoherant, round two".

macrosszero110.jpg

Though, admittedly, the in-cockpit transformation sequence in the first OVA made me go all tingly. I blush thinking about it.

So, there you have it. Macross = Truth and Beauty. 'Nuff said...

...well, amost. One more thing:

macstill-51.JPG

ROY FOKKER LIVES!

FnordChan

I bought a couple of the Robotech series DVDs months back. They honestly barely looked better than my FYE VHS copies.

However, the remastered versions honestly look about forty times better. $20 bucks for two DVDs (some include a free Veritech toy) is definitely not bad. Worth picking up. I was going to pre-order that Animego set, but it was super expensive. No clue what it costs now.

I've never honestly seen the original Macross shows Robotech is made from. I have seen Plus and II however... and I have a bootleg of Do You Remember Love? (well, I didn't know it was one at the time heh).

Robotech was probably my first exposure to anime and it still has the biggest impact on me compared to other anime out there. I absolutely love it.

Thaedolus

Macross Plus rocks too, I haven't seen Macross 7. The idea and story Macek had about Robotech wasn't too bad actually, if you read the books you can see where they were going with it. Honestly I haven't seen anything Second Generation, so I can't really comment. But when I was watching Southern Cross I know I wasn't able to connect to it very well since there were absolutely no recurring characters, and the connections to the Macross saga were vague. Had they used original animation to create the story (like what they were doing with Robotech II) it may have worked...

Alucard

Banned
I know I've seen one or two of them. Which is the one with that robot singer that everyone loves so much? And is that the same one with the two dudes who have a bit of a rivalry? (one of them has green hair I think) Anyways, I really liked that one. I miss anime Fridays on Teletoon in Canada.

Alucard

Banned
Wheeljack539 said:
Alucard the one your referring to is Macross Plus.

As for Robotech/Macross, it too is my all time favorite series.

That would be the one. Man, I get so nostalgic thinking of the scenes from that movie. (giant windmills, mech battles, motorcycles...) I want my childhood back. :( I really need to pick this up on DVD.

neptunes

I only watched Macross Plus and I liked it,

Alucard, I also remember when Teletoon showed anime OAV's/Movies on friday nights :(

Subitai

Alucard said:
That would be the one. Man, I get so nostalgic thinking of the scenes from that movie. (giant windmills, mech battles, motorcycles...) I want my childhood back. :( I really need to pick this up on DVD.
Dude, you're talking about Macross Plus, that Fnordchan is saying is pretty and incoherent.

I read all 20 of the Robotech books based on Carl Macek's retelling with other mech series. I actually like them more then the original storyline that's getting drawn out now, but I can appreciate why the original is arguably better.

Thaedolus

Subitai said:
Dude, you're talking about Macross Plus, that Fnordchan is saying is pretty and incoherent.

I read all 20 of the Robotech books based on Carl Macek's retelling with other mech series. I actually like them more then the original storyline that's getting drawn out now, but I can appreciate why the original is arguably better.

See, I read most of the books, but I skipped the Second/Third generations and moved on to Robotech II stuff, but I don't think I finished it. I should, though, because I'm much more of a reader than when I was at that time...

ShadowRed

Banned
I read all the Robotech 2 books and the final Book in the series that was a condensation of nother series that was suppose to happen after Robotech 2. It took place after the 3rd war and had Scott Madies Invid clone Dana Sterling and Bowie and musoica i believe as well as the fighter pilot guy who was second in command of skull Squadon with Max during Robotech 2. They were taking the Arc Angel from Robotech 2 and searching for the SDF3 that never folded back into space with the rest of the fleet. Which was lucky for them because they would have been destryed when the Invid Mother left Earth at the end of The Next Generation. The name of the book was called Full Circle or Complete Circle or something like that. Not to give away the ending but the title says it all.

Asbel

Macross Saga = way ahead of it's time.

Minmei = most annoying fictional girl ever.

Rick Hunter = chump

Lisa Hayes = nag

And yet, the show fucking rocks. Nadesico was a nice tribute to it too.

Thaedolus

So does anyone know where I can acquire Macross: Do You Remember the Love? As far as I can tell, there's no DVD release in the US and the only copy I have is a crappy rip, which I admit is better than the dubbed version I first saw. Since it hasn't been released on DVD in the US is it ok for bittorrent to be discussed, or import sites where could buy it?

I know it's kind of a weak movie, but I like the different take on the Macross story...

Buggy Loop

Alucard said:
I miss anime Fridays on Teletoon in Canada.

Oh me too :( Its where i first saw Wings of honneamise, ninja scroll, patlabor, macross plus, etc. I wonder why they stopped playing them? Certainly had more viewing than the bazillion of other shitty cartoons that are overloading teletoon lately.

Is there an anime network in canada? Never heard of one but its certainly something we need, badly.

FnordChan

Thaedolus said:
Great, where'd you get it? :p

Unfortunatly, DYRL is tied up in licensing hell at the moment, thanks in part to the last company that released it here going belly up and vanishing completely - no one can figure out who to buy the rights from. Hopefully someone will work out the details eventually, but for the time being it just doesn't appear to be worth the effort. For the time being, you're better off sucking up a bootleg of some sort; good luck finding one with passable English subtitles.

FnordChan

teepo

FnordChan said:
Unfortunatly, DYRL is tied up in licensing hell at the moment, thanks in part to the last company that released it here going belly up and vanishing completely - no one can figure out who to buy the rights from. Hopefully someone will work out the details eventually, but for the time being it just doesn't appear to be worth the effort. For the time being, you're better off sucking up a bootleg of some sort; good luck finding one with passable English subtitles.

FnordChan

um... the new dyrl bootlegs have pretty damn good subs and the video and sound are the same quality as the japanese release.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'm more of a fan of Robotech:The Macross Saga than I am of Macross (or even Robotech as a whole), but yeah it holds a special place in my heart.

Phoenix

Macross was always a gift and will always hold a special place in my memory. It was one of the most engaging and complicated shows I had seen at that point in my life and I knew many adults at the time who watched it as if it were a soap opera (which it was).

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Alucard said:
I know I've seen one or two of them. Which is the one with that robot singer that everyone loves so much? And is that the same one with the two dudes who have a bit of a rivalry? (one of them has green hair I think) Anyways, I really liked that one. I miss anime Fridays on Teletoon in Canada.
Ahh....anime Fridays.
Sweet Nostalgia. Fuck, I was in fricking junior high back then :(
Macross Plus was cool. I remember Teletoon only showed the first 3 episodes and only showed the 4th and final episode like 3 years later. Me and my friend were going crazy at the time.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
As the biggest Macross whore in this entire forum there's no way I could let this thread die without giving my props.

Let it be known that Macross is by far the greatest anime franchise in Japanese Animation HISTORY. Berserk? Naruto? FMA? One Piece? MEH!!! It's all about Macross baby!

Reprezent!!! No one else here comes close to being as big a Macross fan as me! I have met and gotten autographs and home video footage of nearly EVERYONE involved in this franchise including.

1)Shojo Kawamori
2)Nuburo Ishiguro
3)Mari Iijima(Minmay herself)
4)Yoko Kanno

plus voice actors for Roy, Isamu, Myung, etc. I even have home video footage of the Japanese VA for both Isamu and Myung doing a live voice over scene from Macross Plus the movie!! It was done at AX 2000. I also got my DYRL DVD and Animeigo Boxset autographed by Shoji Kawamori and Harihiko Mikimoto!! And even a Minmay sketch from Mikimoto!! As well as tons of home footage from our annual Macross World Con!

DSC00076.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

DSC00085.jpg

Macross is bigger than life itself!!!!

Valkaries galore!.....

DSC00077.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

DSC00075.jpg

jam.gif
jam.gif
jam.gif
jam.gif

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
DSC00075.jpg

[Guy looks to his left] "AHHHH! What the hell is that?!" Kidding, kidding...

I've been a big fan of Macross since ever since watching Robotech as a kid...I guess it is the most influential anime I've ever seen, eventually making me into the anime fan that I am today (though I'm really more of a casual viewer nowadays). The Macross TV series (both the Robotech and the original Japanese versions) and Macross: Do You Remember Love will always have that special place in my heart, in a way that connects me to my childhood =) The other Macross series that followed are great too (except Macross II which is, uh...not so great =P)

I've been able to meet Shoji Kawamori at Anime Expo 2002 (he signed my Macross Deisgn Works book and the wing of my Yamato 1/60 VF-1J Valkyrie toy), and Mari Iijima at AX years before.

I have some Macross books, DVDs/Videos/CDs, toys, and whatnot, but I've been loving these ever since I've gotten them a couple of months ago:
DSC01504a.jpg

Nike Dunk Hi SB, Daniel Shimizu colorway

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
I had a big topic on Robotech music (Michael Bradley specifically), where were the rest o' you Robotech-whores?!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
GamePnoy74 said:
I've been a big fan of Macross since ever since watching Robotech as a kid...I guess it is the most influential anime I've ever seen, eventually making me into the anime fan that I am today (though I'm really more of a casual viewer nowadays). The Macross TV series (both the Robotech and the original Japanese versions) and Macross: Do You Remember Love will always have that special place in my heart, in a way that connects me to my childhood =) The other Macross series that followed are great too (except Macross II which is, uh...not so great =P)

I've been able to meet Shoji Kawamori at Anime Expo 2002 (he signed my Macross Deisgn Works book and the wing of my Yamato 1/60 VF-1J Valkyrie toy), and Mari Iijima at AX years before.

I have some Macross books, DVDs/Videos/CDs, toys, and whatnot, but I've been loving these ever since I've gotten them a couple of months ago:
DSC01504a.jpg

Nike Dunk Hi SB, Daniel Shimizu colorway

kick ass GamePnoy74! you rawk!!!

Future Trunks said:
I had a big topic on Robotech music (Michael Bradley specifically), where were the rest o' you Robotech-whores?!

I was the biggest Robo-slut in existance ten years ago and even attended the 15th Anniversary Robo-con hosted by the Bateman brothers. Got tons of video footage of that event as well. Good times indeed! But after that I opened my eyes and was made aware of the true origin of Robotech, discovered Macross and never looked back! Though it still has a special place in my heart, Robotech is TEH INFERIAAAR!!! :D

isamu

FnordChan said:
macross-logo.jpg

Ah, Macross. Sweet, sweet Macross.

If you're a fan of the original series in any way whatsoever, pony up for the hyper-swank AnimEigo remaster rather than the completely ass ADV release of Robotech. It's so worth the extra scratch.

max-pimp.jpg

It's a damn shame that Macross: Do You Remember Love? isn't available in the US. It's sweet Macross lovin' of the highest order. (Though, re-watching it recently, I must admit that the middle portion fo the film is damn near interminable.)

Summ842.gif

The hardcore should also keep an eye out for Flashback 2012. Granted, it's mostly a collection of Minmei music videos, but the tidbits of new animation (including footage of Hikaru, Misa, and Minmei leaving on the Megaroad-01) is worth the effort.

mroadad.gif

"A new life awaits you in the Off-World colonies! The chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure..."

As for Macross II...

zChouzikuu_Yousai_Macross_-_Macross_II.png

...okay, let's just skip Macross II.

For the record: Macross Plus is pretty and all, but it completely falls apart in the final OVA.

mcr220l.jpg

Yeah, that's right I'm talking to you.

On the flip side, Macross 7 is criminally underrated. I'm the first to admit that it takes a while to get going, but when it does (around the mid-teens) it gets to be pretty freakin' great, and the payoff in the final episodes is phenomenal. One of the best TV shows of the 90s, destined to be a beloved classic, etc, etc, etc. No, really, I'm dead serious here, it's fantastic.

mcr333l.jpg

Mylene says, "Watch it or Gubaba and I will beat the hell out of you."

The verdict is still out on Macross Zero, but I'm betting on "pretty but incoherant, round two".

macrosszero110.jpg

Though, admittedly, the in-cockpit transformation sequence in the first OVA made me go all tingly. I blush thinking about it.

So, there you have it. Macross = Truth and Beauty. 'Nuff said...

...well, amost. One more thing:

macstill-51.JPG

ROY FOKKER LIVES!

FnordChan

I have new found respect for you sir! :)

Though I think I enjoyed M+'s ending more than you did.

Guld's death was nothing short of captivating! AND THAT DOGFIGHT!!!!!!

Oh and right on about M7 being criminally underrated! What if I told you I like it better than Berserk???

*sniff* It's great to see nobody's forgotten about these masterpieces. I've stopped watching anime for close to a year now and, looking at it all from a distance, Macross is one of only a handful I'd proudly say I loved.

shuri

Banned
neptunes said:
I only watched Macross Plus and I liked it,

Alucard, I also remember when Teletoon showed anime OAV's/Movies on friday nights :(

The thing is, They showed Ninja Scroll, Patlabor, Wind of the whatevertehfuck, and i think Ghost in the shell over and over again

isamu

Shouta said:
isamu has a short memory. Fnord and I have posted about Macross 7 ages ago.

my memory aint the greatest but I do remember that thread. It's hella old, and purged. :(

Marty, my Yamato 1/48 is in the background of my pic above =)

But as great as the Yamato 1/48 is, this is my favorite Macross toy (one of the very few toys I still have from my childhood; the 1/55's in the background are the recent Bandai re-issues):
DSC01821.jpg

Here's a pic of my Yamato 1/60 VF-1J signed by Kawamori:
DSC01818.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom