• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macworld's analysis of E3 - Nintendo/MS/Sony are "complacent swine", "out of touch"

Sydle

What an awful read. Just another reason why I will continue not even considering to buy Apple products. I dislike their audience so much.

Fredescu

Talon- said:
I'm sorry, I'm tired of folks complaining about new IPs.

Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Take2 etc. are all going to hedge their bets with new IPs by relying on their cashcows. Consequently, they will take their funds and create new IPs. Without Halo, there's no Crackdown (or whatever). Without Madden eleventy, there's no Mirror's Edge. Without GTAIV, there's no Red Dead Redemption. Hell, Assassin's Creeds probably the most successful new third party IP this generation, right?
Financing new IPs completely aside, most of the best video games are sequels. It's rare that a new IP knocks it out of the park in the first try. I agree with what someone said on the first page, that complaining about sequels is just a sign that you're looking for something to complain about.

Sirius

Well that's some nice trolling, Mr. H.
28b43z6.jpg

At first I was like "lol random apple fanboy site" but then I saw MACWORLD and... wtf?? So much fail from so many angles in one article.

And that video of him talking about trolling to get more hits is just the worst. A "journalist" admitting to that is a crock of shit, and just follows the reasoning of (for real)Apple fanboy-hate to a T. Feigned arrogance/knowledge when their heads are actually up their own ass.

vantastic

an apple fanboy complaining about competitors is absolutely NOTHING NEW. they think any and everything apple creates is total gold. i bet they could sell shit on a stick with an apple logo on it and the fanboys would eat it up.

PARANO1A

Makes me want to link to the thread where the guy complained about being judged as an obnoxious Apple guy for pulling out his Iphone in starbucks. "why do people judge us do quickly?" :lol

I guess that the Hunter S Thompson references didn't really connect with a lot of people but the assumption that only glorious Apple understand the future of handheld gaming is a real eye roller. Nintendo are easily just as good at constantly upgrading hardware and convincing us customers that their shit doesn't stink because their design is so superior.

Replicant

FFS Apple, the reason you don't have game sequels is because the only games you have on your store do not warrant sequels.

/typing on MacPro 2x2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Why For?

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
at this point I am really hating Apple fans

/typing on a Macbook Pro

I'm the same, I hate Apple as a company, and their fans are fucking jerk offs.

But I own an iPhone and MacBook Pro. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Ironically, I can even understand where the OP is coming from too. If it hadn't come from MacWorld, most of GAF would probably be agreeing with it.:lol

Why did he even need to mention what he was writing the article on? Bizarre. Mind you, I've seen enough posts on GAF specifying that they've been posted from an iphone/ipad so I shouldn't be surprised.

Why For? said:
I'm the same, I hate Apple as a company, and their fans are fucking jerk offs.

But I own an iPhone and MacBook Pro. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Ironically, I can even understand where the OP is coming from too. If it hadn't come from MacWorld, most of GAF would probably be agreeing with it.:lol
So in other words you're trolling yourself as a fan?

Belfast

I'm trying to fathom how he got so much right AND so much wrong at the same time. Few true major leaps forward are being made in the industry, sure. And as much as I love existing franchises, it would've been nice to see a ton of new ones (especially from Nintendo, continually the worst offender).

But if he thinks that Apple's app store full of glorified Flash games is the next step forward, he's delusional. In terms of sales? Maybe, they tend to reach a wider audience. But that doesn't mean it's pushing anything forward in terms of sophistication or new genres.

ArjanN

Vinci said:
That's because you're not a lunatic Apple fan.

If you ignore the Apple part I think he actually has somewhat of a point. Nintendo MS and Sony all seem kind of clueless of where they want to go.

Quasar

Well...I can't say I disagree much about the whole eating its own tail with the industry dominated by remakes and sequels. Its just like Hollywood. Of course the iOS gaming platform is no bastion of quality original games.

That said I certainly do see Apple eating up the dedicated handheld market to some degree. I'm certainly evidence of that where I had some thoughts about getting a PSPGo pre-launch, but in the end just got an iPod though. And given how poorly Sony has done getting every new PSP game on the PSN day and date I'm rather thankful I avoided that bullet.

And I just shake my head at Nintendo still pushing cartridges, where they should have went digital.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ArjanN said:
If you ignore the Apple part I think he actually has somewhat of a point. Nintendo MS and Sony all seem kind of clueless of where they want to go.

I'm genuinely curious why you think Nintendo is clueless as to where they want to go.

Link Man

Banned
Well, thinking back on this past week, the only Apple-related announcement I can remember was Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (please correct me if I'm wrong here). So from that perspective, I don't think this man has a pedestal upon which he can declaim against remakes.

Quasar

duk said:
apple are becoming what ms is... elitest and hated

What do you mean becoming? Apples been elitist pretty much since the launch of the Mac. Hated though...they certainly aren't being more widely hated.

I agree with the sentiment, I guess - this E3 did suck balls, but:

As I type this on my MacBook Pro in my air-conditioned hotel room in Los Angeles, I’ve just sat through presentations by three major console companies and I don’t there was an original idea among them.

What and the fuck is this? I'm an Apple fanboy - been on Apple computers since the ][e, but if this passes for "journalism" then we have indeed hit rock bottom. Yes, there wasn't an original idea among them, but who the fuck care about the your air-conditioned hotel room, as if there's a hotel downtown w/out AC? And who gives a fuck what you're writing you're article on? And who is the editor that lets this pretentious shit past his desk?

M3d10n

Aren't most of the top selling iPhone apps ports of long running franchises, with EA and Gameloft dominating? How many times has Tetris been remade?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
People who don't know what they're talking about shouldn't talk. The writer of the article has taken so many assumptions into account without actually doing his research that what would've been a valid complaint about some trends in the game industry, has become nothing but an ignorant opinion.

Micromegas said:
I agree with the sentiment, I guess - this E3 did suck balls, but:

As I type this on my MacBook Pro in my air-conditioned hotel room in Los Angeles, I’ve just sat through presentations by three major console companies and I don’t there was an original idea among them.

What and the fuck is this? I'm an Apple fanboy - been on Apple computers since the ][e, but if this passes for "journalism" then we have indeed hit rock bottom. Yes, there wasn't an original idea among them, but who the fuck care about the your air-conditioned hotel room, as if there's a hotel downtown w/out AC? And who gives a fuck what you're writing you're article on? And who is the editor that lets this pretentious shit past his desk?

That sentence reminded me of Tim Rogers and his vegan burritos.

Turns out the same Associate Editor for Macworld wrote an E3 Preview Article, last week:

Will Nintendo or Sony respond to Apple?

Mac gamers may roll their eyes when they here of fanboys geeking out for Nintendo or Sony announcements, but Mac gamers have a reason to pay attention this year as well. Apple has quietly started eating into Nintendo and Sony's mobile gaming market but so far the gaming giants haven't responded. Nintendo's various DS launches have had mixed success, so it'll be interesting to see if they double down on the DSi XL or go with something different. Sony's PSP Go is a sad Band-aid trying to heal a mortal wound.

Will Nintendo or Sony open up their platform to third parties the same way Apple has? Or is it too late? Gaming on the iPod and iPhone has become so popular because virtually anyone can use Apple's tools to design and build a game. Nintendo and Sony have used a more conventional development model for their mobile platforms, and while they have higher-end games, neither platform offers the quick-turnaround or low-development costs of Apple's iPhone OS.

He does credit the DS as having achieved "mixed success". His description of Onlive is certainly a bit bold:

How will OnLive change the industry?

Imagine using an old Mac Mini to play the latest hit games for PC and consoles. Imagine seeing these games play with a flawless frame rate and their highest resolution. Imagine never having to invest in an expensive graphics card again, or dropping a thousand dollars for a new tower, or constantly having to update your hardware. That's the promise of OnLive.

Due to a pre-E3 embargo, there hasn't been much fanfare to greet the launch of OnLive, but don't let that fool you: more than anything else this week, OnLive has the power to change the Mac gaming landscape. When the cloud-based gaming service was announced at 2009's GDC, no one could believe that the company would make good on its promise: allowing people to play high end games on almost any machine, from Mac Minis to old Dell PCs to your TV set.

If OnLive can really produce fast, streaming content from its servers to your home and render the graphics card arms race a thing of the past, OnLIve will have changed the face of gaming forever. Imagine playing high end titles like Crysis on your Mac Mini. Or Arkham Asylum on your iPad. If publishers get on board, we're talking a complete shakeup of the conventional gamer model.

M3d10n

Also, many Apple fans are unable to see that Apple excels in making luxury products. They'll never "dominate" anything because they have no interest in leaving the highly lucrative overpriced bubble they live in.

Anyone else feel dumber after reading this tripe? If it wasn't flame bait I might be able to see a small portion of what he's trying to say, but geez.

andymcc

Banned
M3d10n said:
Also, many Apple fans are unable to see that Apple excels in making luxury products. They'll never "dominate" anything because they have no interest in leaving the highly lucrative overpriced bubble they live in.

yeah, they'll never dominate the smart-phone market, media player market or anything like that right.

this is a terrible article. i use a mac and own an iphone, but this is really embarrassing. this is anecdotal but, most of my friends are mac users, and they're predominately console gamers. imagine that.

Quasar

M3d10n said:

Oh I dunno. I think they did so with both music and the iPhone. Of course actual phone plans with smart phones make them a little expensive for many.

Nessus

MacWorld said:
challenging, creative, or fun.

Can't think of very many iPhone Games to which any of those apply. Sure they exist, but you have to sort through the dross to find the few gems, astoundingly with a ratio even worse than consoles.

Sure, Apple has the $1, barely a step above "Shoot Osama bin Laden in the head to win an iPad" Flash-derivative games market locked down. And I'm not even saying that isn't a lucrative market, clearly it is.

But I really don't believe you can recreate on a glass touch screen with only tilt controls the types of experiences a dedicated portable, with physical buttons with actual tactile response can provide.

Hell, I own a Mac and an iPod. They make pretty gadgets. Not denying that. They definitely have a market carved out for themselves and it's amazing the turnaround they've managed in the past decade.

But these micro-transaction games are not the same thing as a full fledged game experience, and they never will be.

And just because the casual market is finally being tapped doesn't mean that the market composed of people who like full, in depth games is suddenly going to vanish. It may not be where most of the growth is occurring, but it can still be very profitable, as can be attempting to bridge the gap between the two and trying to lure in some of the casual market to those conventional gaming platforms, and converting some of them even.

Call me when the iPhone has something approaching Metroid: Other M.

DarkKyo

Oh my god... whenever I buy a game on the ipod I play it for about an hour or two and then move on.. and it's pretty rare that I do.

Apple and their followers is teh funniez.

Quasar

andymcc said:
yeah, they'll never dominate the smart-phone market, media player market or anything like that right.

Well I'm not sure they will dominate the phone market. They will keep a sizable slice though. I expect smart phones to go down the pc road becoming commodities with untold varieties.

DeathNote said:
Cumulatively. Apple and apple owners have sky rocketed in arrogance this year.

This year? Why do you think there's always been so much hate towards Apple? There's just something... wrong... with die-hard Apple fans. They're the most arrogant people I've ever seen. Most (like this article writer), constantly act like somebody stepped on their baby.

clo1_2000

Banned
As I type this from my iPad (seriously) I can say that I don't see Apple encroaching too much in Nintendo's space. Virtual controls on the iPhone are horrendous. The iPad is great for srpgs, but I need real controls for my games.

Vdragoon

ArjanN said:

you're pretty dumb aren't you.

Dreohboy

andymcc said:

this is a terrible article. i use a mac and own an iphone, but this is really embarrassing. this is anecdotal but, most of my friends are mac users, and they're predominately console gamers. imagine that.

Because most Mac owners that game know that the Mac is a shitty gaming platform.

I too own a Macbook Pro, but I built a PC and own a PS3 for my "serious" gaming pleasure.

The Apple hatred in this thread is really amusing though. :D

If Major Nelson were to type a bs PRO-Microsoft article, would that make me think less of Microsoft?

People need to separate the person from the product.

Top Bottom