• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

F!ReW!Re

Was going to go to the 23:10 screening but you guys pulled me onto the hype train so am going to the first screening at 16:10...

If I like it enough might go to the 23:10 again after all ;-)

Nibel

HSAEFpq.png

And so it has begun

Super great movie. I only have minor nitpicks, but they're easily dismissed. That climax sequence was one of the best I have ever seen. Totally going to watch it again on Saturday

Hopefully it does well, I need those sequels!

Mdk7

I watched it last night, with huge expectations, and yet it seriously blew me away.
Like seriously, it's probably the best movie i've seen in theaters in the last decade, with that aura of instant classic all over it.
I went to bed almost shocked at its goodness, unable to think about anything other than that, and the first thing that came to my mind when i opened my eyes this morning was "MAD MAX!!!".
Going to see it again tonight, it's that good.
Oh, and kudos to Warner Bros for investing lots of money in a project like this.

Jb

Holy shit this was every bit as awesome as I hoped it would be. All the dull superhero action stuff made me forget that an action movie could be this visually inventive and exciting and funny. God damn George Miller, God damn. I actually had trouble going to sleep afterwards because of the adrenaline.

Carbonox

Blitzed through the whole Mad Max Trilogy again last night in prep for this evening.

Mad Max 2 is definitely my favourite followed by the first and then then Beyond Thunderdome. The third film has some really great stuff in the first and last thirds but the lost boys shit is a real wtf. The last chase scene was fucking awesome too. Overall it's a good film still, not a bad film at all. Just very odd story decisions were made.

BRING ON FURY ROAD

ezekial45

Banned
Some good news. International BO is doing well so far.
http://deadline.com/2015/05/mad-max-fury-road-international-box-office-opening-cannes-1201427405/

Cheers greeted the official screening of Mad Max: Fury Road in its Cannes premiere last night — both at the beginning and the end of the projection. The reception across France has thus far been equally enthusiastic with the Warner Bros/Village Roadshow actioner scoring 2015’s best opening day for the greater Paris area on Thursday. Across the country, early numbers show $2.25M from 802 plays at 618 sites. Fury Road is by far the No. 1 film in the market with 53% of the Top 5 share.

In director George Miller’s native Australia, early results give Fury Road more than 50% of the market and approximately $804K, which is 65% higher than No. 2 Pitch Perfect 2, and five times bigger than 3rd place Avengers: Age Of Ultron, which is headed into its 4th frame.

Fury Road also dominated play in New Zealand, grossing an estimated $129K from 70 locations with 50% of the Top 5 share.

Cannes is serving as the international junket for Miller’s return to a dystopian future that stars Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron. The critically-praised pic rolls out in a total of 68 markets on 16,000 screens through the weekend. Yesterday, it entered 48 overseas territories including Germany, Korea, and Russia. It adds a further 20 today, including the UK, Spain and Mexico. There are about 200 IMAX screens, with 300 4D screens looking to Max-imize exposure in all big theaters.

Estimates on the offshore opening are hovering above $70M, and we’ve heard as high as $85M. China and Japan are still to come with a strong multiple expected.

Spoo

A masterclass of filmmaking -- one of the best movies I've ever seen. Beautiful, action-packed, emotional, strange, terrifying, and absolutely fucking badass. Cannot wait to go see it again.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
My buddy just confirmed that he wants to see this movie as well. Means I'm going to see it again soon.

5RhS5.gif

First movie for me to see twice in cinema since Gravity (and Avatar before that).

Le-mo

This movie blew me away. I went in with low expectations and knowing nothing about Mad Max in general and I came out with complete shock and awe. This is by far the best action movie I've seen in a long while.

Just came back from an IMAX viewing. Movie was fucking awesome though I wish it had stayed as chaotic in the second half as it was in the first

So this is how I rate it.

Mad Max 2 > Mad Max:FR > Mad Max 1 > Mad Max 3

Charlize Theron felt more like the star instead of Tom Hardy. It's funny because we're going to get an Imperator Furiousa movie soon.

I'll be honest. This just felt like an origin movie for Furiousa using the Mad Max name to establish the upcoming spin-off.

So this is how I rate it.

Mad Max 2 > Mad Max:FR > Mad Max 1 > Mad Max 3

Charlize Theron felt more like the star instead of Tom Hardy. It's funny because we're going to get an Imperator Furiousa movie soon.

I'll be honest. This just felt like an origin movie for Furiousa using the Mad Max name to establish the upcoming spin-off.

i think it's like the good the bad and the ugly where tuco was the star of the film. max is sort of like a post-apocalyptic man with no name. he's a badass and somebody you really want to have on your side but he's always getting caught up in some shit rather than the other way around.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
After sleeping on it, I really want to see this movie again asap. There's one long action sequence in particular,
where they get attacked by the dirtbikes
that's just spectacular. But! The score really adds a lot. In this scene, and the movie in general. The soundtrack is just amazing.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
l.jpg

this is it. The most excited I've been about going in a theater in a year or so. 10.45PM is the time, it's half a mile to the theater, got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes and i'm wearing sunglasses. Let's hit it

F!ReW!Re

Well just came back....

I don't know what just hit me.
Driving back from the cinema and I was just constantly thinking: What have I seen these last 2 hours?

It's just fucking amazing.
It's one big adrenaline rush! Amazed how George manages to basically tell a deep and awesome story (+world building) just by visuals alone.
I mean; dialogue is sparse and the only nitpick I would have is that some of the dialogue was unlegible but I'm deeply impressed by the world building, the characters and ofcourse the cinematography: Best action movie I've seen in years!
Heck I need to just say that I've never ever seen anything like this. There's nothing out there remotely like this movie.

I said earlier I would go see it a second time today if I really liked it, but to be honest I don't think I can handle a second viewing this close to my first viewing!
It's just one big amazing adrenaline rush and I need a breather now!

What a day.... WHAT A LOVELY DAY!!!!

Metal-Geo

Got another ticket right here next to me for a second viewing. 2D this time.

First time in ever that I'm going to watch a movie a second time in the theaters...

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Watched it last night, in 2D.

Awesome visuals and some visceral action scenes, but I didn't like it nearly as much as some gaffers. It's cool and all, but not "genre-defining" or some of the things I read.

I wouldn't watch it again.

It's like, all these years of watching directors like Michael Bay or Zack Snyder dicking around with their DUPLO train toys, and then Grandpa Miller comes round to visit, loudly exclaims, "You fucks call that action?" and whips out his Gomez Addams-style railway table of madness to show them all how the hell it's done.

God. Damn.

i think it's like the good the bad and the ugly where tuco was the star of the film. max is sort of like a post-apocalyptic man with no name. he's a badass and somebody you really want to have on your side but he's always getting caught up in some shit rather than the other way around.
That's actually a really good comparison and you're totally right about Max. For the next movie I'd love to see him as a lone wanderer without any help. I would say add a dog but we already have MM2 plus this new wasteland is even more hostile that the old trilogy. There were barely any roads!

Unrelated but I loved how the action was shown. One thing in action movies I really hate is how the camera pans overhead showing us a fight or the battle area which just takes me out of the scene and makes it look cheesy. Here everything was at eye level - like you were witnessing it with them which sold it extremely well.

Movie End spoiler:
Max leaving the Citadel after giving a smile and nod to Furiosa was just perfect.

Just came from the movie, don't wanna add to the already insane hype but I'm still shaking, never been teared up by the pure action sequences until now. We are not fucking worthy

DOWN

Banned
How does the PS3/4 theme look ? It's free in the store.

Really awesome it has the main poster of Max and the girl and when you scroll up it says Mad Max in huge text with Max and the girl with guns looking badass. Definitely worth downloading. Sorry I don't know the girl's name as I'm watching no trailers and going in blind.
Who do I yell at to get this onto the U.S. store?

Simo

So a friend, who is a big MM fan and who saw this last year at a test screening where the film was incomplete and a different cut that he liked enough but thought it had its fair share of issues, just saw the film last night. Pretty much did a big turnaround on his opinion saying he adored and loved the film! Mentioned the issues he had all got fixed and even though he didn't care for Hardy as Max last year he now like him in the role. lol

I guess the issues he had that were in the test screenings and now cut/fixed were more narrations by Max along with a longer opening montage of real world scenes and the flashbacks were more frequent, drawn out and generally executed a lot more poorly in those cuts.

F!ReW!Re

I guess the issues he had that were in the test screenings and now cut/fixed were more narrations by Max along with a longer opening montage of real world scenes and the flashbacks were more frequent, drawn out and generally executed a lot more poorly in those cuts.

I did like the opening montage here, short and to the point and then it drops you right in the story.
And I can see why your friend didn't like more flashbacks, they were ok-ish now and basically served to
make him join the wives and mothers and tell them the plan, and save his own life when "catching" the arrow".
It didn't feel annoying yet but can imagine if they kept doing it, it would be...

Probably the first movie in a long, long time where in retrospect, I love it more after thinking about it.

And I can't stop thinking about how 'real' the movie felt, which in hindsight, sounds completely insane.

The world-building was truly amazing.

jackal27

Banned
GOOD LORD THIS MOVIE. Saw it last night and just could not believe what I was watching. It's. Been way too long since a film actually shocked and amazed me with its stunts and special effects. Everything this else this year has so damn much to live up to.

Practical effects and real explosions man. This is filmmaking. A tight knit story that moved at a blistering pace as well. Get on board or get left behind. CanI just say that I love how WEIRD this movie is too? It has tons of personality. It hasn't been watered down for mass consumption, it confidentially is who it is. I love this movie.

Honestly my only complaint is that I wish the trailers had shown a little less.

Foggy

I have to keep reminding myself that an entire generation of people aren't familiar with Mad Max or The Road Warrior. Also, George Miller made a landmark action film 30+ years ago that hasn't come close to being replicated in the interim and then at the age of 70 he does the same damn thing again for a new generation. What's old is new again. What a dude.

mantidor

I think people should not overhyped it too much, I think it damped my appreciation of the movie when I saw it.

But this is an excellent piece of cinema, which I guess is why is so highly reviewed, this is a true film if that makes any sense, it's visual storytelling in it's purest form, movie junkies, people who are into the making of movies are going to love this, because it shows how much effort was put into it, editing, photography, all that stuff is award worthy.

I read here or elsewhere that Miller said that his movie should be understood and enjoyed in places like Japan without any subtitles, and that is exactly what this movie does. It's an enormous achievement.

Top Bottom