• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/638334684695515136[/tweet]

Almost like WB are trying their best to sabotage this game (unless it's a dud in which case it makes sense). At least they've put out lots of gameplay vids, and people's impressions here are keeping me excited.

Don't care if the game turns out to be a steaming pile of turd (actually no I do, just being hyperbolic), the steel book already won me over. One of the best I have ever owned. Might even use this for the Fury Road bluray instead? (but putting the game in the Fury Road case would be weird...)

Very nice! All shiny and chrome.

Okay, I've played the first hour.

Quick impressions ( on Xbox One ):

- Graphics are amazing
- No performance issues so far
- Combat is fun, not as fluid as the Batman games but more brutal
- Car combat is great, explosions look nice
- Story? No idea. The beginning is slow, but I kinda like that.

Sounding good so far. I just watched Fury Road last night. It was my first Mad Max movie, and it was awesome. I'll wait for the GameTrailers review (trusted them for years) and go from there!

ironcreed

Banned
Can you go in first person when driving? Swear I saw a screenshot. Ps4 version here.

Yes.

ZtKhyHO.gif

Okay, I've played the first hour.

Quick impressions ( on Xbox One ):

- Graphics are amazing
- No performance issues so far
- Combat is fun, not as fluid as the Batman games but more brutal
- Car combat is great, explosions look nice
- Story? No idea. The beginning is slow, but I kinda like that.

GLORIOUS

Definity

Turned the game back on and noticed I'm getting a second update (380 MB). The game downloaded an update a few days ago that was around 480 MB.

I remember the first patch added different control schemes and a hand brake. Any notes on what this second patch is doing?

Hip Hop

Atmosphere is fantastic btw.

Characters and story are pretty average so far (not very far into the story though).

I'm not at all too familiar with the Mad Max universe (Only saw Fury Road), are there any "safe heavens" like towns or establishments in the game? Or is it all pretty much a free for all?

mossypne

I'm not at all too familiar with the Mad Max universe (Only saw Fury Road), are there any "safe heavens" like towns or establishments in the game? Or is it all pretty much a free for all?

you can take over camps which become safe bases for you.

Human_me

Atmosphere is fantastic btw.

Characters and story are pretty average so far (not very far into the story though).

This is exactly what I am expecting.

They will nail down the atmosphere and world/gameplay of Mad Max.
But fail on the story side.

Which is fine, I just want to drive around blow stuff up and survive the storms.

mossypne

This is exactly what I am expecting.

They will nail down the atmosphere and world/gameplay of Mad Max.
But fail on the story side.

Which is fine, I just want to drive around blow stuff up and survive the storms.

That's exactly what the game is brilliant at.

janisar

Neo Member
I've got it early (PS4) and spend quite a bit time with it (~15h). Love it so far! They captured the setting perfectly and the game is just gorgeous.

• Combat is fun from the start, but gets much better once Max learns some additional moves. It's not as complex as Arkham's system, but easier to manage.
  • Car combat is amazing! It is really fun once you have a couple of upgrades.
  • Explosions! Best I've seen in a game! Love them!
  • Performance is great on the PS4, no slow downs, everything feels fluid and responsive.
  • The map is huge and the locations diverse.
  • Story is ok so far, there is a lot going on at least. Voice acting seems a bit forced at times (especially the Australian accent). Like in Fury Road, the world building is much better than the dialogue.
  • Side missions are quite fun: not that many fetch quests, quite some with a story, and a lot of camps/fortresses with different layouts and challenges. If you liked open world games like Far Cry 3/4, you will enjoy them.
  • Side activities are easy to do, that's how it should be.
  • The capture mode ist one of the best ones I've seen. You can setup everything from perspective to filter and play the game this way.
  • Max on foot is not the most responsive character to control. Feels like JC2 at times. And he can't jump, he just hops... I hate it when games don't have a dedicated jump (button).

Definity

Simo - here are a couple more screenshots that show the controls for the video and photo editor in the game. The tool basically gives you all kinds of options like filters, logos, hud disable, etc. and then you use the share feature of the console to take the screenshot or start recording the video. I've still not had a chance to get someone use a second controller to control the camera while I play:

BiggNife

Any proper reviews out yet? Shiny and chrome or mediocre?

Embargo drops in 5 hours. Only two reviews came out beforehand from no-name sites, including one guy that apparently didn't even beat it, so I don't think they're worth looking at. The review thread is currently locked until the embargo drops.

Oneself

Oh yeah! So, by using capture mode I can remove the hud and continue playing?
Or just add a filter like in The Order and play the entire game that way??

Embargo drops in 5 hours. Only two reviews came out beforehand from no-name sites, including one guy that apparently didn't even beat it, so I don't think they're worth looking at. The review thread is currently locked until the embargo drops.

Wow - midnight UK time for the review embargo? You'd think WB would be trying to get great reviews out there quicky after the Arkham Knight/PC debacle.

Preloaded on PS4 and ready to go!

First time preloading a game on anything. I'm usually a physical only gamer, but I have to stay up all night tonight for work reasons, and didn't want to wait until tomorrow morning to buy the game.

Now it's just me and Max, all night long!

Zabuza

Banned
To those who have played for a while:

How repetitive has it gotten? Does the combat/driving/side missions stay fairly fresh?

Simo - here are a couple more screenshots that show the controls for the video and photo editor in the game. The tool basically gives you all kinds of options like filters, logos, hud disable, etc. and then you use the share feature of the console to take the screenshot or start recording the video. I've still not had a chance to get someone use a second controller to control the camera while I play:

Are you fucking kidding me? That is one of the coolest things I've seen. The second player can act a camera operator. Aspiring movie directors: take note. :p

Anyone order from Best Buy's site? My copy still hasn't shipped yet. I'm in Michigan. Anyone else running into this?

Orca

The way fairly large places didn't get review copies, but these little no name places have reviews up before the embargo makes me want to see some proof they even have the game lol

Ooccoo

Honestly the game looks pretty solid but that release date is SO unfortunate. Everyone will be talking about MGSV for the next couple of days and Mad Max will get buried.

The way fairly large places didn't get review copies, but these little no name places have reviews up before the embargo makes me want to see some proof they even have the game lol

They're all b/s. 7-8 grafs of what the author cobbled together after watching some streams/reading previews.

Definity

Seems a bit inconsistent. He complains of framerate issues and repetition but gives the gameplay a very respectable 8.5? Something doesn't add up. I wonder which version was reviewed too.

I've honestly never seen a frame rate issue with car combat at all. The only time I've seen the frame rate chug is in an enemy camp right when I came back from suspend mode on the PS4 and it's only happened once in 25 - 30 hours of playtime.

Is the AI good in this game? Are there many difficulty levels? From streams I've seen the AI looks kind of brain dead and I'm hoping its due to being on easy.

ironcreed

Banned
I've got it early (PS4) and spend quite a bit time with it (~15h). Love it so far! They captured the setting perfectly and the game is just gorgeous.

• Combat is fun from the start, but gets much better once Max learns some additional moves. It's not as complex as Arkham's system, but easier to manage.
  • Car combat is amazing! It is really fun once you have a couple of upgrades.
  • Explosions! Best I've seen in a game! Love them!
  • Performance is great on the PS4, no slow downs, everything feels fluid and responsive.
  • The map is huge and the locations diverse.
  • Story is ok so far, there is a lot going on at least. Voice acting seems a bit forced at times (especially the Australian accent). Like in Fury Road, the world building is much better than the dialogue.
  • Side missions are quite fun: not that many fetch quests, quite some with a story, and a lot of camps/fortresses with different layouts and challenges. If you liked open world games like Far Cry 3/4, you will enjoy them.
  • Side activities are easy to do, that's how it should be.
  • The capture mode ist one of the best ones I've seen. You can setup everything from perspective to filter and play the game this way.
  • Max on foot is not the most responsive character to control. Fees like JC2 at times. And he can't jump, he just hops... I hate it when games don't have a dedicated jump (button).

And the good word of mouth player impressions keep on coming. That means more to me than any review ever did.

TI82

Banned
Almost like WB are trying their best to sabotage this game (unless it's a dud in which case it makes sense). At least they've put out lots of gameplay vids, and people's impressions here are keeping me excited.

Very nice! All shiny and chrome.

Not sure they would do the free uber promo in Seattle if they were sending it out to die.

Top Bottom