• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden 08 Online for Wii is an abomonation and and insult to gamers

kpop100 said:
You have a 360 and you were even considering the Wii version?

Well, I'm short on cash so first reason was it was cheaper. Also, I don't care if graphics don't look as nice I bought godfather on the wii over the 360 version, if its more fun to play then I'd rather have fun then good graphics. Also, friends of mine seemed to really enjoy the wii version when they played it last year but were disappointed with no online so since it had online and I never played it before I wanted to give the wii version a shot. But like I said if the online is wonked it makes my interest in it greatly drop.

Edit: "Maybe he doesn't like the 360.. I know I hate mine."

I like my 360, I like all the consoles I own, but I wasn't thinking about getting madden at first and it just got sent out the other day for repair and I really want to play madden now and all the reasons I said above.

chemicals

to the original poster.. didn't you kinda figure the Wii version of Madden would suck? I mean.. it doesn't take much smarts to figure that game would suck on the Wii. If you have the 360, for christ's sake buy THAT version. Dummy.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
chemicals said:
to the original poster.. didn't you kinda figure the Wii version of Madden would suck? I mean.. it doesn't take much smarts to figure that game would suck on the Wii. If you have the 360, for christ's sake buy THAT version. Dummy.
clearly this is a well though-out post fully backed by sound reasoning and compelling arguments. Your family should be proud as you have honored them greatly with your brilliant insight.

chemicals said:

Wow thanks for adding to this conversation by trolling. Some people enjoy the wii version *gasp* the only thing a lot of people think were missing from last year was online and games like strikers had working online people didn't see any reason for the online not to work.

borghe said:
this has not been proven or disproven on the Wii... please don't spread mis-information. We obviously know the Wii can access flash memory in game. If EA put hooks into Madden Wii to allow for patching (which given the title's history of online cheating you'd think they would do) then the Wii wouldn't have any problem working with game patches.

Its think its worth noting that plenty of VC titles have already been patched, there should be no technical reason why retail games can't be patched.

On the Wii vs. 360 debate, I know if I ever did buy Madden I'd only ever go with the Wii version. I've never played or been interested in a Madden game before (I am from the UK afterall) but the controls sound like something that could work really well for a offline multiplayer game. There's a lot of rugby fans in my house and I know they'd love a good physical sports game like this. Wii sports proved that sports games have massive potential on the Wii and I had a great blast with Strikers online so this looked like a decent offering to follow it up if the online is sorted out. It doesn't hurt that it should be a good £10 cheaper over here either.

So Madden 08 needs a fix for playing online already? It will be fixed?

It will be nice to see one shitty update to use 10% of wii storage.

borghe

brain_stew said:
Its think its worth noting that plenty of VC titles have already been patched, there should be no technical reason why retail games can't be patched.
You're right in that there's no technical reason why Wii games can't be patched. However VC games aren't patched per se.. The game itself on the server is patched. You just download the new version of the game. It's entirely different than this.

kay

borghe said:
this has not been proven or disproven on the Wii... please don't spread mis-information. We obviously know the Wii can access flash memory in game. If EA put hooks into Madden Wii to allow for patching (which given the title's history of online cheating you'd think they would do) then the Wii wouldn't have any problem working with game patches.
Patches could obviously happen (yeah I shouldn't have used can't) but is it really likely? Whichever it is though, Nintendo will be upset that patching has now claimed another console or the game wasn't tested enough.

bryehn

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Well, I'm short on cash so first reason was it was cheaper.

Same price here in Canada. For me it was a no-brainer. I played and enjoyed 07 on Wii, but I new 08 would suffer a similar fate as the Xbox/PS2 version...you know barely any upgrades...old graphics engine, etc.

No NCAA on Wii is what really did it though. I really enjoy sending dudes through the legend/superstar mode. I think it's cool for created characters to have a "history".

I had to go with the 360 version over Wii and PS3. I'm glad I did. Having a blast with it so far. The game is smooth as heck.

Achievements were way too easy though. NCAA's were more fun. That and the Weather Channel feature from NCAA is missing :\

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some sort of patch released since launch for TP? It was included with a system update?

borghe said:
You're right in that there's no technical reason why Wii games can't be patched. However VC games aren't patched per se.. The game itself on the server is patched. You just download the new version of the game. It's entirely different than this.

Are you sure? Some of the patches I've downloaded have been MUCH quicker than downloads for the full titles. I'm talking a couple seconds quick, rather than the couple of minutes it usually takes. Unless my memory is playing tricks.

brain_stew said:
Are you sure? Some of the patches I've downloaded have been MUCH quicker than downloads for the full titles. I'm talking a couple seconds quick unless my memory is going.

Either way, those patches are overwriting the game on your hard drive most likely (replacing key parts of the original file). It's a different story when you have to patch code that's hard-wired onto a disc.

RiskyChris said:
Either way, those patches are overwriting the game on your hard drive most likely (replacing key parts of the original file). It's a different story when you have to patch code that's hard-wired onto a disc.

No doubt, but if EA were forward thinking enough, their online code should be setup in a manner where it can be easily patched, like basically every modern online title on other systems is.

Nintendo could of course be acting utterly retarded and blocked developers from doing this. It would make no logical sense but its not like they haven't done similar things in the past.

brain_stew said:
No doubt, but if EA were forward thinking enough, their online code should be setup in a manner where it can be easily patched, like basically every modern online title on other systems is.

Nintendo could of course be acting utterly retarded and blocked developers from doing this. It would make no logical sense but its not like they haven't done similar things in the past.

Well, there's your problem right there.

sk3tch

jonezer4 said:
Get Strikers if you want a decent online experience, but even then, only do so if you can stomach inane 20 second cut scenes every minute.

:lol

I'm surprised no one has commented on this Strikers stealth troll! :D

But seriously, thanks for making a new thread. This brings the online issue to the forefront (where it should be) - it's a serious gaffe on EA's part, especially since (as you said) this is one of the primary reasons '07 owners are buying '08.

It's good to hear that the single player (or offline) experience is excellent. I'm still leery of playing a game I've enjoyed since it's original Genesis version in a non-traditional manner (i.e. waggle). The TRU deal is pushing me towards it, though...

"Same price here in Canada. For me it was a no-brainer. I played and enjoyed 07 on Wii, but I new 08 would suffer a similar fate as the Xbox/PS2 version...you know barely any upgrades...old graphics engine, etc.

No NCAA on Wii is what really did it though. I really enjoy sending dudes through the legend/superstar mode. I think it's cool for created characters to have a "history".

I had to go with the 360 version over Wii and PS3. I'm glad I did. Having a blast with it so far. The game is smooth as heck.

Achievements were way too easy though. NCAA's were more fun. That and the Weather Channel feature from NCAA is missing :\"

I never played NCAA so that wasn't a factor. In the states the wii version is $10 cheaper and like I said graphics aren't something that makes or breaks the deal. I still play plenty of ps2 games.

To anyone who's played it online besides the lag issues is the interface pretty nice? Is it easy to join games and play with friends?

theguy

Have patience. Don't use that disc as a coaster just yet. And don't rant so much, you'll give yourself a headache.

RBH

borghe said:
clearly this is a well though-out post fully backed by sound reasoning and compelling arguments. Your family should be proud as you have honored them greatly with your brilliant insight.

:lol

Dorfdad

Gold Member
chemicals said:

maybe because for the PS3 and 360 the game is THE SAME every Year! Spuced up graphics but thats about it.. The Wii version offers more features, options, and better overall fell for the game.. Minus the current online situation.

kay

Dorfdad said:
maybe because for the PS3 and 360 the game is THE SAME every Year! Spuced up graphics but thats about it.. The Wii version offers more features, options, and better overall fell for the game.. Minus the current online situation.
It's Dogurday

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
To anyone who's played it online besides the lag issues is the interface pretty nice? Is it easy to join games and play with friends?

It's extremely easy. You don't need friend codes like other Wii games. It's strictly 1-on-1 online, but I don't think that should discourage anyone from enjoying it.

Any of the mini-games good?

I'm sure they are all football related like drills?

Also, couple of the EA PSP games had similar online issues. The first madden and college football games were outright broken.

I believe you could exchange your old game for a new one once they came out with a fix?

Vong_Assassin said:
It's extremely easy. You don't need friend codes like other Wii games. It's strictly 1-on-1 online, but I don't think that should discourage anyone from enjoying it.

Since its no friends codes is it done by user names? Or is there no way easy way to play with friends?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Since its no friends codes is it done by user names? Or is there no way easy way to play with friends?

Players online are divided by their Mii's, and yes you can have a Friend List to easily play with friends.

Haunted

AdmiralViscen said:
:lol :lol :lol

Such a great contrast to the original Madden Wii topic.
should've had 'worst version' in there somewhere for perfect contrast, though.

and ftr, I don't mind the bashing of Madden Wii's online - it it's broken, it's fucked, and the game simply should not have been released in this state.

Crimmy

can someone help me? i cant even get online. everytime i try to connect it says "You have lost your connetion to ea servers. would you like to reconnect?" everytime i do it never goes thru. i basially never get past the "connecting to ea servers" screen. my opera browser and stuff works flawlessly so it cant be my connection. any idea on wut it cud be?

Crimmy said:
can someone help me? i cant even get online. everytime i try to connect it says "You have lost your connetion to ea servers. would you like to reconnect?" everytime i do it never goes thru. i basially never get past the "connecting to ea servers" screen. my opera browser and stuff works flawlessly so it cant be my connection. any idea on wut it cud be?

Maybe ea has already taken the servers down in preparation for Madden 09.

wow contacting ea about the problem blows. I emailed them and got this "

To view or update your question from our support site, click here.

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL. REPLIES WILL NOT BE PROCESSED.

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts Customer Support. The issue you are reporting has been received and will be addressed within 24 hours. In order to view updates on this issue, please follow the link provided below to access the ‘My Stuff’ section of our support site. Once you are logged in to the ‘My Stuff’ section, you can update your issue with additional information, check the status of your incident or close incidents that have already been resolved."

I doubt this is gonna be fixed that soon. O, man it says adressed crap thought it said they were gonna fix it in 24 hours... O, well I tried I guess.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Well, I'm short on cash so first reason was it was cheaper. Also, I don't care if graphics don't look as nice I bought godfather on the wii over the 360 version, if its more fun to play then I'd rather have fun then good graphics. Also, friends of mine seemed to really enjoy the wii version when they played it last year but were disappointed with no online so since it had online and I never played it before I wanted to give the wii version a shot. But like I said if the online is wonked it makes my interest in it greatly drop.

Edit: "Maybe he doesn't like the 360.. I know I hate mine."

I like my 360, I like all the consoles I own, but I wasn't thinking about getting madden at first and it just got sent out the other day for repair and I really want to play madden now and all the reasons I said above.

Can we get some modship over here?

BirdBomb

Banned
is anyone really surprised? i mean, ALL of the interviews and previews i read were about nothing but how great the next gen improvements were in the 360 and ps3 versions. the only thing they ever said about the wii version were the mini games and how dumbed down it is in family mode or whatever.

borghe

BirdBomb said:
is anyone really surprised? i mean, ALL of the interviews and previews i read were about nothing but how great the next gen improvements were in the 360 and ps3 versions. the only thing they ever said about the wii version were the mini games and how dumbed down it is in family mode or whatever.
did you even read a single post in the thread, or did you hope to get by on blatant stupidity alone? do you know what's being talked about here?

BirdBomb

Banned
borghe said:
did you even read a single post in the thread, or did you hope to get by on blatant stupidity alone? do you know what's being talked about here?

wow, someone should probably calm the hell down. go jack off or something.

my point was ea seemed to be focusing almost entirely on the ps3 and 360 versions. so it doesnt really surprise me to see "new" wii features half assed or broken. i mean, it IS ea we are talking about. really, no need for petty insults, it's not rocket science or anything.

BirdBomb said:
wow, someone should probably calm the hell down. go jack off or something.

my point was ea seemed to be focusing almost entirely on the ps3 and 360 versions. so it doesnt really surprise me to see "new" wii features half assed or broken. i mean, it IS ea we are talking about. really, no need for petty insults, it's not rocket science or anything.
The hell are you talking about? The only problem that should be discussed is the online mode, which is unfortunate. All other aspects of the game are great. We'll see if this one major problem is fixable.

Christine

brain_stew said:
Are you sure? Some of the patches I've downloaded have been MUCH quicker than downloads for the full titles. I'm talking a couple seconds quick, rather than the couple of minutes it usually takes. Unless my memory is playing tricks.

Your memory is tricking you. VC updates involve downloading a new full ROM. The VC downloader is ignorant of whether or not you're updating a ROM or downloading a new one, all it knows is to allow a permitted download. You can see this when you update, it calculates the "free space after downloads" incorrectly because it doesn't know that it's replacing a file.

Top Bottom