• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '15 |OT| Now This is Current Gen

Have to work in the morning. Found a cheap cj spiller finally. Gotta wait till tomorrow evening to use him. Oh well. Good way to end the day.

DagsJT

As someone who doesn't follow NFL but enjoys watching once in a long while and playing Madden, the tutorials are brilliant.

But I need more. It's a lot to remember about the differences between different cover systems etc and as good a job it does, it's encouraged me to look on YouTube for more info and guides.

Great addition from EA, long overdue.

Skele7on

Banned
anyone else finding the online is so so laggy?

I'm from the UK running 66mbps up 20mbps down

are only the US servers on atm? As I'm from the UK.

Is this available for ps4 on the PlayStation store in the UK? can't seem to find it.

Friday for the UK dude.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Good morning Madden Gaffers, or good afternoon/evening for those no in the US.

First impressions:

- I bought the game digitally, yet it still needed an update for some reason, probably just an in-game thing though, e.g., roster updates

- You can't skip the intro scene of the game...which I utterly cringe at when I can't skip. I started keeping a stop watch of time of how long it would take till I actually start playing

- By the time I got to the main menu and skipped every tutorial and cut scene, finally I was able to cycle the menus, first thing I did was goto the options and tweak the gameplay settings: turned game speed to standard (default is slow...why??), toggled off all the auto-move things like strafing, tackling, positioning, etc.

- Next thing I wanted to do was just play season mode...this doesn't exist naturally...so I started the closest thing I could find to a season which is the coach mode or whatever...I have no desire to play it online against people, I just wanted an offline season mode with my Texans.

- As soon as I pick the coach of the Texans, more and more time has to go by before I can even play a game. I'm at about 12 minutes into this damn game and I have yet to play the game

- Finally I can start my season, however, I simmed the pre-season weeks, this takes time as well

- First game of the season against Washington Redskins, finally. Then there's more loading until the game actually begins...I try and try to skip as much as I can, I don't care about intros and presentation, just bring me to the field to play

- 15 minutes later, I'm actually playing the game, game play is solid in my opinion and I still suck at football. I'm not a fan of the default zoomed in camera, so I had to adjust that to classic or whatever it's called.

After two quarters of getting my ass kicked, my NHL 15 demo popped up and said it was finished downloading, yay! I fired that up and my god, the presentation alone in the NHL demo is beyond the Madden game which I find very odd. Anyway, I'm not a fan of long load times and unskippable cut scenes, so my first 15 minutes with Madden 15 (ha, that's a pun eh?) was not fun, but once in the game and playing football, the game is quite enjoyable.

I'm probably going to increase the game speed up to the next level, the game still feels slow to me.

it's cool man.....it's just that when decisions are made that don't make sense to me, I start losing my mind trying to understand or give the benefit of the doubt...like what the hell were they thinking????...how hard is it to notice that the down and distance is not showing, when testing the game....or when ever. Little things like that boggle my mind.

I mean this is the first time EVER in a football videogame I've seen this happen.

down and distance.. top left corner... you're just missing it. its there. i know my down and distance all the time

mbmonk

I know...and when you try to quickly do this on offense...it thinks you are trying to do a no huddle spike.

but on defense, even when you do...you don't get much time to pick a defense. I like to do formation subs...can't do that let alone search for a play.

AND THE DUMBEST SHIT IN THE WORLD, it doesn't tell you the down and distance when picking a play after certain point... it does the little replay or cut scene and it doesn't show you ANYWhere, when you are choosing your play. You have to remember the distance right after the play happens.

Exactly. It's terrible. How does that make it into a released game? I can't grasp how that made it past QA. Oh wait it's EA... BF4... got hit that release date regardless, I suppose.

down and distance.. top left corner... you're just missing it. its there. i know my down and distance all the time

I can't find down & distance anywhere on the screen. Am I blind? Is there an option I need to enable?

http://xboxclips.com/video.php?uid=...monk&vid=9135ac5e-116c-4f69-a6f5-7f4f23c6e223

I got a penalty because the play clock wasn't shown either on the playcall screen.

eznark

Banned
- By the time I got to the main menu and skipped every tutorial and cut scene, finally I was able to cycle the menus, first thing I did was goto the options and tweak the gameplay settings: turned game speed to standard (default is slow...why??), toggled off all the auto-move things like strafing, tackling, positioning, etc.

I'm probably going to increase the game speed up to the next level, the game still feels slow to me.

I'm guessing you didn't pick All Madden when you were given the option?

And yeah, the presentation and load times in NHL should be fantastic this year. When you completely gut the entire game that stuff should really improve.

anyone else finding the online is so so laggy?

I'm from the UK running 66mbps up 20mbps down

are only the US servers on atm? As I'm from the UK..

Might be just because it was launch day. For all of their faults, EA's online system is usually very good. Give it a day or two and it should be really solid... if past years are any indication.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I'm guessing you didn't pick All Madden when you were given the option?

And yeah, the presentation and load times in NHL should be fantastic this year. When you completely gut the entire game that stuff should really improve.

I didn't pick all madden cause I'm not a knowledgeable football player, but I can't stand snail-speed sports games.

eznark

Banned
I didn't pick all madden cause I'm not a knowledgeable football player, but I can't stand snail-speed sports games.

Just saying, that's why it was on slow speed. It's not the default and neither are the things you had to toggle off. You chose those.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
This doesn't make sense to me:
AGGRESSIVE TACKLES
Aggressive Tackle combines both dive and Hit Stick tackles. If a ball carrier is within three yards of the defender, pressing the Aggressive Tackle button (X on Xbox One, Square on PS4) will trigger a Hit Stick tackle. If the offensive player is outside of three yards, pressing the Aggressive Tackle button will result in a diving tackle attempt.

The success of these tackle are based on a number of factors, including player ratings and timing. If a user attempts a tackle before the ball carrier reaches them, they could whiff on the tackle entirely.

The new tackling system creates more decision-making on defense. Do you go for the big hit and potential turnover, or simply wrap up to prevent the big play? These decisions will not only depend on your team’s personnel, but your skill level as well. The choice is yours.

I thought the hit stick was the right analog stick on the controller? Does this not work for tackling anymore? Why would a face button initiate a hit-stick tackle?

Source: http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news-updates-gameplay/article/new-feature-tackling-mechanic

eznark

Banned
It's a semantics issue. "Hit Stick" has essentially been turned into Aggressive Tackle. My guess is that next year the only way to do the high risk/reward aggressive tackle will be with the button and they will have some other use for the right stick on defense. It does seem incredibly limited to use it as essentially a button so I hope they have something good planned.

How was I suppose to know that beforehand? LOL. My bad.

Ha, not ripping you or anything, just saying there really isn't a "default." But yes they do a garbage job of telling you what those four choices mean. I blame Apple.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Ha, not ripping you or anything, just saying there really isn't a "default." But yes they do a garbage job of telling you what those four choices mean. I blame Apple.

Apple would have been like...there's only one button in Madden, it does everything.

This doesn't make sense to me:

I thought the hit stick was the right analog stick on the controller? Does this not work for tackling anymore? Why would a face button initiate a hit-stick tackle?

Source: http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news-updates-gameplay/article/new-feature-tackling-mechanic

You can still use the hit stick. X/Square is an aggressive tackle. Holding A goes for a more conservative wrap up tackle (with a higher likelihood that the offensive player will fall forward but a low likelihood that they will break the tackle), tapping/pressing A is in the middle.. a standard tackle. Hit stick and X are the feast or famine tackles... either a big hit with potential to jar the ball loose or a diving attempt that is hard to land. In my experiencing, hit stick tackles seem more devastating than X tackles, a successful hit stick usually floors the offensive player, but I could be wrong.. maybe they're the same. If they both do the same it's probably because Madden has a history of introducing new buttons for something and the community loses it because they have to learn something new.

Also with game speed, you have it set to slow. The default is "Normal" and there's a fast and faster. Personally, I like it at Slow or even Slower because it makes the game more realistic (IMO) and more reliant on player actions... But I'm crazy.

I know...and when you try to quickly do this on offense...it thinks you are trying to do a no huddle spike.

but on defense, even when you do...you don't get much time to pick a defense. I like to do formation subs...can't do that let alone search for a play.

AND THE DUMBEST SHIT IN THE WORLD, it doesn't tell you the down and distance when picking a play after certain point... it does the little replay or cut scene and it doesn't show you ANYWhere, when you are choosing your play. You have to remember the distance right after the play happens.

Two of my main complaints. It's almost impossible to go through your plays on D once the offense picks a play.

I am waiting for the PS4 version to arrive in tomorrow's post here in the UK but I have played the XBO version when I paid for a month's EA Access subscription at £3.99 (then promptly cancelled to avoid it renewing!).

Anyway, I was impressed by how much of an improvement this is graphically over last year's disappointing debut on the PS4 and XBO, which I bought for the former. It played OK but, boy, were those visuals lame considering the more powerful hardware. Well, this year the game at least looks the part, though I still would not describe it as photo-realistic by any means (The Show on PS4 comes closer IMO) and Tiburon have even managed to reduce that annoying hitching that has plagued EVERY Madden ever so it is now much less noticeable when switching between the playbook and the action. There's still some but it is easier to ignore. The game still plays pretty much the same as always but in any sports game there is only so much you can do anyway and Madden has always played fine anyway.

I must admit that I used to enjoy the NFL 2K games more and it is sad that EA now have no competition so they don't have to do much each year as people who want an NFL game have no choice but to buy Madden. Thankfully, this year it looks like Tiburon have put some effort into the game and I look forward to the yearly improvements that are sure to come.

angrygnat

We get to see stills of the slo mo replays. Admittedly they look great. But they always look great. Show me the screens during actual gameplay. The play menus. Do the play books come from the teams that you are using? Most of the time they are just generic plays that are pretty much rubber stamped from team to team. The fact that the gameplay and the actual flow of the game doesn't resemble anything close to football? Has that been fixed? Are there city specific chants and actions from the crowds that don't seem like they are phoned in or completely nonexistent? I always hold out hope that Madden will someday live up to the artificial hype. I'm so tired of being disappointed.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Anyway, I'm not a fan of long load times and unskippable cut scenes, so my first 15 minutes with Madden 15 (ha, that's a pun eh?) was not fun, but once in the game and playing football, the game is quite enjoyable.

During the intro I was trying to figure out why my controller wasn't working. Then I realize it wasn't me, the game was just forcing me to watch the intro. It did take very long to get a game started. I think it was around 20 minutes for me since it took a little extra to figure out which option was season mode.

Two of my main complaints. It's almost impossible to go through your plays on D once the offense picks a play.

My main issue is that it seems to suggest defenses that are ridiculous based on the offensive personnel. I don't want to run a base 3-4 defense against 3+ WR sets, why are the "strategy" recommendations suggesting this.

Overall the game seems solid though, even if I find a lot of the menu systems to be somewhat convoluted in franchise mode, etc.

Loading times could be better, and I'd like to be able to skip the pre-game intro.

Still light years better than the last couple of maddens, but that may laragely be because this is my first PS4 version.

Krakn3Dfx

Load times on the XB1 version seem pretty bad for everyone? I haven't seen how the PS4 loads, but I felt like I was sitting longer than I was with Madden 25 on the PS3 for the game to load last night when I finally was able to fire it up.

LOL!!! I find that a lot of the complaints are from the newbies with little football experience. Just take the time and do the Skills Trainer mode. It makes a world of difference once you go through them and complete a few tasks in the Skills Trainer mode. Every sports game thread goes through this every year I tell you LOL!!!

Cheech

They need to fix something in MUT that's infuriating.

madden15.jpg

Let's say I wanted to switch Dion Lewis with Andre Williams instead of Matt Tucker. There is absolutely no way to do this from that screen. I can either swap him for my starter or go fuck myself and fiddle around in the main team screen. They need to fix that, it's a huge pain in the ass. If I'm missing anything here and there's some way to do this, may you get an elite QB in your next Pro Pack. Hah.

eznark

Banned
Load times on the XB1 version seem pretty bad for everyone? I haven't seen how the PS4 loads, but I felt like I was sitting longer than I was with Madden 25 on the PS3 for the game to load last night when I finally was able to fire it up.

Load times in all EA Sports games (and all sports games in general) are fucking trash.

CyberChulo

Something must be wrong with your settings or eyes. This looks slightly worse then nba 2k and mlb the show. Best looking madden we've had for sure.

Yes. It is still the best but not by a milestone.

Madden 12 PS2

Madden 15 PS4

Madden 12 Crowds

Madden 15 crowds

MLB the show. Now this is next gen crowds! Different game I know, but still....

Cheech

lmao

Greatest pancake block of all time

also it looks like they improved their fantasy draft logic. if you don't take a QB in the first 2-3 rounds....you're fucked lol

It reminds me of the old Simpsons gag where Homer and Bart are in the woods trying to trap a rabbit, so they hold down an entire tree. Rabbit steps into the trap, and it catapults the rabbit like 2 miles away.

I can't stop laughing.

IndustryX

Love this game so addictive, owner mode is awesome!! Playing as the browns and did a fantasy draft, rolling with cam newton and McCoy. My offence is nearly unstoppable!

Cheech

The Show has good crowds. Madden has online that works.

Tiburon made the right asset allocation.

Also, you know we have a quality Madden on our hands when the chief complaint is the repetitive crowd.

I'm sure it will get fixed, these consoles are finally capable of it, but they had to hold SOMETHING back. Madden 15 is the most perfect Madden in many, many years.

eznark

Banned
Also, you know we have a quality Madden on our hands when the chief complaint is the repetitive crowd.

I'm sure it will get fixed, these consoles are finally capable of it, but they had to hold SOMETHING back. Madden 15 is the most perfect Madden in many, many years.

I kind of wish they gave you the option of removing all of the broadcast/fluff stuff. I'd like there to be a setting where it's just the field and the players. Wonder how much power it takes to render all the superfluous garbage.

ShaneB

I kind of wish they gave you the option of removing all of the broadcast/fluff stuff. I'd like there to be a setting where it's just the field and the players. Wonder how much power it takes to render all the superfluous garbage.

I definitely would want this as well. Not a fan of how bloated it all seems.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

Am I in the minority if I say I skip all of the presentation fluff? Even between snaps, I don't care to view the replays and the broadcast fluffery, I just want non-stop football action. I don't want to feel like I'm playing an interactive TV broadcast.

eznark

Banned
Am I in the minority if I say I skip all of the presentation fluff? Even between snaps, I don't care to view the replays and the broadcast fluffery, I just want non-stop football action. I don't want to feel like I'm playing an interactive TV broadcast.

I used to think everyone thought that way but these threads are full of people who bitch about commentary and crowds and the idiotic NFL2K inspired STUDIO SHOW WHERE IS THE ESPN STUDIO SHOW OMG EA YOU SUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK

Greg

yeah, this always bothers me, especially when they remove things like the coin toss to 'speed up the game' but they always make time to shove laggy replays in the middle of it

Bacon

Anyone feel like playing against the CPU is more difficult than in previous years?

I was playing on all-pro, which is where I usually play and had a bunch of close games and outright losses. The CPU is usually a complete pushover, it was pretty refreshing to play against competent AI without having to mess with the sliders a whole bunch.

Who has time to look at the crowd in game when you're focused on making reads and not getting sacked. I tell you the complaints some of you have is ridiculous. LOL!!!

ShaneB

Who has time to look at the crowd in game when you're focused on making reads and not getting sacked. I tell you the complaints some of you have is ridiculous. LOL!!!

In the streams I've been watching I've constantly wondered why the heck they show the crowd so much! Just unnecessary.

abrack08

Finished downloading last night, played for a couple of hours. I love the beginning Panthers/Seahawks scenario, I'd love more stuff like this... Basically fictional Madden Moments with voice overs/commentary and a story. Really give it that NFL Films feel. It probably shouldn't have been mandatory to start the game though, as some people obviously just wanted to play a real game ASAP.

I went into the skills trainer right after, thinking it would be nice to get a ~15-20 minute refresher, as I didn't play Madden 25 much (didn't really like it). 2 hours later... I was still doing drills. Way more than I thought. There were times it felt a little unfair, like when it's teaching you how to attack defenses, sometimes none of the routes they tell you to look for are open. That's obviously a possibility in game, but doesn't seem the best from a learning concepts standpoint.

I also had the game force me to run one of those All-Curls plays on 4th and 13 during one of the drills where you have to drive and score a touchdown. No audibles or hot routes allowed.

Can't wait to get home today and actually play a game though, it feels much better than 25 so far. Really like the new tackling mechanics and defensive cameras.

EDIT: About the Panthers/Seahawks thing at the beginning... I remember thinking "Panthers in the Championship game? Psh, yeah right!" I COMPLETELY forgot they were the #2 seed last year. Crazy. In my head they're still an up-and-coming 8-8/9-7ish team with upside.

KingErich

Banned
Good morning Madden Gaffers, or good afternoon/evening for those no in the US.

First impressions:

- I bought the game digitally, yet it still needed an update for some reason, probably just an in-game thing though, e.g., roster updates

- You can't skip the intro scene of the game...which I utterly cringe at when I can't skip. I started keeping a stop watch of time of how long it would take till I actually start playing

- Next thing I wanted to do was just play season mode...this doesn't exist naturally...so I started the closest thing I could find to a season which is the coach mode or whatever...I have no desire to play it online against people, I just wanted an offline season mode with my Texans.

- As soon as I pick the coach of the Texans, more and more time has to go by before I can even play a game. I'm at about 12 minutes into this damn game and I have yet to play the game

- Finally I can start my season, however, I simmed the pre-season weeks, this takes time as well

- First game of the season against Washington Redskins, finally. Then there's more loading until the game actually begins...I try and try to skip as much as I can, I don't care about intros and presentation, just bring me to the field to play

- 15 minutes later, I'm actually playing the game, game play is solid in my opinion and I still suck at football. I'm not a fan of the default zoomed in camera, so I had to adjust that to classic or whatever it's called.

After two quarters of getting my ass kicked, my NHL 15 demo popped up and said it was finished downloading, yay! I fired that up and my god, the presentation alone in the NHL demo is beyond the Madden game which I find very odd. Anyway, I'm not a fan of long load times and unskippable cut scenes, so my first 15 minutes with Madden 15 (ha, that's a pun eh?) was not fun, but once in the game and playing football, the game is quite enjoyable.

Where did you find this? All I could do is make a stupid super team or create a player. I want to do neither. All I wanted is to choose AZ Cardinals and play a freakin season!

Also, what did you think of NHL? Cause I am considering returning Madden. Anyone know if Gamestop will take back a new game if I didn't like it and let me exchange it for something else? Or is this only with Used games?

abrack08

Where did you find this? All I could do is make a stupid super team or create a player. I want to do neither. All I wanted is to choose AZ Cardinals and play a freakin season!

Also, what did you think of NHL? Cause I am considering returning Madden. Anyone know if Gamestop will take back a new game if I didn't like it and let me exchange it for something else? Or is this only with Used games?

You need to play Connected Career Mode. You can play offline and by yourself, of course. You can choose to be one player, a coach, or an owner. If you play by yourself and as an owner or coach, it's the same as regular franchise mode in the olders games. All they really did was combine Superstar Mode and Franchise mode and allow you to play them together with other people if you want.

Top Bottom