• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '16 |OT| It's Madden Season

I've played 15 online games of Draft Champions.

I have never seen an opponent punt. I've seen 1 field goal in the countless times a guy has been 4th and 10 within my 30.

Its not even funny. Cause they just throw in double or triple coverage and aggressive catch and make it. My opponent right now has Garopollo and still makes those throws lol. He just has to make 1 in 4.

Yeah I pretty much refuse to play Madden online unless it's with somebody I'm familiar with. I can't deal with the douchebaggery. Hell the number of people I hear quitting after throwing a pick in MUT is pretty outrageous too.

I have never seen an opponent punt. I've seen 1 field goal in the countless times a guy has been 4th and 10 within my 30.

Its not even funny. Cause they just throw in double or triple coverage and aggressive catch and make it. My opponent right now has Garopollo and still makes those throws lol. He just has to make 1 in 4.

Yes, they definitely need to address this in a patch. All of my opponents do this on 4th down. If you are on far side of the 50, your passing stats should be penalized on 4th down. At least for the first three quarters.

Stat!

Yeah I pretty much refuse to play Madden online unless it's with somebody I'm familiar with. I can't deal with the douchebaggery. Hell the number of people I hear quitting after throwing a pick in MUT is pretty outrageous too.

Let me know if you are up for playing some games then.

Can't really play franchise either since franchise keeps crashing on me.

Let me know if you are up for playing some games then.

Can't really play franchise either since franchise keeps crashing on me.

I have some company over in 45 minutes so I don't want to risk going too long, but I'll be down for some later tonight if you are around...PSN ID is york887

I suspect this will be an ongoing problem in DC because there isn't any reason to not go for it all the time. At worst you quit out of the game or lose, and you just get to draft another team and give it a shot. At least in MUT you are losing contracts or getting a very small amount of coins if you lose games online.

GobFather

So I was playing Madden Online and it went over time. It was 3rd and 31 with a few seconds left on the clock. Threw a Hail Mary and made the catch. With 2 seconds left I tried to do a field goals to break the tie when suddenly I butchered the kick and failed... At that moment the other player had already rage quit.

http://youtu.be/l5CpVArg32w

This has gotta be some sort of a penalty....... right...?

qGJ3SWJ.gif

So I was playing Madden Online and it went over time. It was 3rd and 31 with a few seconds left on the clock. Threw a Hail Mary and made the catch. With 2 seconds left I tried to do a field goals to break the tie when suddenly I butchered the kick and failed... At that moment the other player had already rage quit.

Holy shit that's amazing. I wonder if you botched it because of that guy quitting though... could have frozen your game for a split second?

THe guy controlling the wire cam in my game was drunk:

https://youtu.be/DzTODGBFSc8

(around 15 - 20 seconds into this clip)

Yeah... I like the idea of draft champions mode, that you actually get relatively even but different teams... but I can't believe the level of cheese in this mode, it's just unbelievable. It's not that it makes it yard... I am 4 - 0 in it, but it's definitely less fun to *never* see a punt or realistic play. Also 50% of kickoffs are onsides kicks. Thank god there is no "surprise onside" in this game because everybody would do it in this mode. The guy I beat in the championship, I was shocked how bad he was... He just did 4 verts four plays in a row, NOTHING else, feast or famine. I won 28 - 0 and I was shocked he stayed till the end of the game, but I just couldn't believe that someone who had "Won" 3 straight games had NO other plays other than 4 verticals over and over again. Meanwhile I think the only play he could defend was 4 verts as well, because all I did was run zone runs after I had the lead and he couldn't stop them at all.

soxxx

Banned

Someone should send that guy a link to the video lol..........

This has gotta be some sort of a penalty....... right...?

[imghttp://i.imgur.com/qGJ3SWJ.gif[/img]

Holy shit that's amazing. I wonder if you botched it because of that guy quitting though... could have frozen your game for a split second?

THe guy controlling the wire cam in my game was drunk:

https://youtu.be/DzTODGBFSc8

(around 15 - 20 seconds into this clip)

Yeah... I like the idea of draft champions mode, that you actually get relatively even but different teams... but I can't believe the level of cheese in this mode, it's just unbelievable. It's not that it makes it yard... I am 4 - 0 in it, but it's definitely less fun to *never* see a punt or realistic play. Also 50% of kickoffs are onsides kicks. Thank god there is no "surprise onside" in this game because everybody would do it in this mode. The guy I beat in the championship, I was shocked how bad he was... He just did 4 verts four plays in a row, NOTHING else, feast or famine. I won 28 - 0 and I was shocked he stayed till the end of the game, but I just couldn't believe that someone who had "Won" 3 straight games had NO other plays other than 4 verticals over and over again. Meanwhile I think the only play he could defend was 4 verts as well, because all I did was run zone runs after I had the lead and he couldn't stop them at all.

4 verts with a TE like Gronk and aggressive catch is downright deadly in the right hands against the CPU.

demolitio

Part of me wonders if that Real Sports story about the high school coach that never punts the ball and only onside kicks encouraged more people to play that way in Madden...lol. I thought the coach had to be a Madden fan when I first watched it since it's something you only really see in video game football. They were saying the analytics supported his strategy though and his team was up 28-0 3 minutes into a game against the best team in their state which is once again, something you'd see in Madden.

I don't mind people doing that if catching the ball wasn't so fucking easy. It reminds me of NFL2K on Dreamcast where I could run an all streaks play every single time with Moss and Carter who could jump 20x higher than any defender. I never would do it online since that defeats the purpose of playing a competitive game.

Lol thats hilarious. After playing a lot this week I've come to find Aaron Rogers to Jordy Nelson just throw it up and he brings it in 75% of the time. Same thing with Romo and Bryant no matter what coverage man zone double team play under over press just doesn't matter. Not as much a problem with Cowboys though because every other game I play people aren't using the Cowboys like they're the Packers. Pack is by far the most common opponent and every game has way to many that's just bs moments. Don't mean how this pass was completed he was open I'm talking about getting a sack 3rd and 18 coming up and every time you can count on them throwing it up and converting more times than not. I use Cincy and the dbs on there are rated lower than they should after opponent qbs having 2nd lowest rating against them in league after facing qbs like Big Ben twice Flacco twice Brady Luck Newton Ryan. Not saying they should be top but they have 5 1st rounders in secondary that being said they're not ranked to bad either and this throw it up bs just gets ridiculous sometimes. Actually a lot depending on opponent. I can have no such luck with Dalton to Green. I shouldn't say any because 1 on 1 he will come down with it a goid bit but double covered hardly ever. Last I saw Green has what 5 inches height, longer arms and probably higher vertical jump than Nelson does Which leads me to believe this is more of a qb accuracy on deep passes issue than a wr or te etc issue. But when put in tandem with certain recievers makes the best Madden in a long time in my opinion, frustrating.

Part of me wonders if that Real Sports story about the high school coach that never punts the ball and only onside kicks encouraged more people to play that way in Madden...lol. I thought the coach had to be a Madden fan when I first watched it since it's something you only really see in video game football. They were saying the analytics supported his strategy though and his team was up 28-0 3 minutes into a game against the best team in their state which is once again, something you'd see in Madden.

I don't mind people doing that if catching the ball wasn't so fucking easy. It reminds me of NFL2K on Dreamcast where I could run an all streaks play every single time with Moss and Carter who could jump 20x higher than any defender. I never would do it online since that defeats the purpose of playing a competitive game.
Nail on the head man. Stats do support going for it on 4th down etc to be beneficial but you can make stats say or back anything you want them to really. Doesn't take in to account emotion momentum clock management match ups and other things though. I know what you mean with the streaks from 2k where people would just throw it up to Moss. So frustrating to have 4th and 20 you're in perfect defensive call but it doesn't matter they're just gonna throw it up to insert name here > for a 1st down if not a td. Then to top it off on the kickoff after the bs 4th play of game td they just scored 1 min into 1st quarter now here comes the onside kick. At least it isnt like the one year I can't remember what one where you would get the people on kickoffs that would kick it short inbetween the 1st and 2nd line of blockers and you had to hope you could get control of a player and beat them to the ball which didn't happen to often. Other than that was nothing you could do as you were limited to onside or return plays. Makes the game not even fun to play. When they cheese it you feel cheated like you lost over things not in your control and when you win you feel as they made it easier for you doing it.

jwhit28

Please forgive my whining. I haven't been a great Madden player since the PS2 days and I'm sure most of this stuff is just unfamiliarity, but there are so many small things really getting on my nerves. There is a weird pause when you are trying to call a bunch of hot routes before a play. Maybe they are trying to simulate waiting for the QB to bark out the calls I don't know. Using the dpad for audibles always ends up with me at the wrong camera angle. They still haven't allowed the man in motion to reverse direction before crossing the whole formation. Players are getting called for encroachment when running to position during no huddle. Replay challenges take forever. They won't show who got credit for a tackle after a play. I can't stand Phil Sims in real life or videogames. I wish Kevin Harlan could do NBA 2k and Madden.

On the positive side, these gang tackles are what I imagined when they first announced gang tackles back in the day. The running game is a lot more fluid, to the point of almost being too effective even on all-madden. The franchise mode is nice, but still not as fun as NCAA dynasty mode. The new receiving/defending system works pretty well even though there are a few more miracle catches than I would like.

mrpookles

Been playing franchise mode... the CPU aggressive catch is really shitting me. Holding EJ Manuel to a 3rd and long and he just throws 30-40 yard bombs for a spectacular catch over and over.

The frustrating thing is I know it's coming and can't do anything about it.

Bread

Banned
Been playing franchise mode... the CPU aggressive catch is really shitting me. Holding EJ Manuel to a 3rd and long and he just throws 30-40 yard bombs for a spectacular catch over and over.

Yup, it almost feels scripted at points. Hold the CPU to 3rd and long with under 2 minutes left? They throw a deep ball to put them in field goal range. Every damn time.

This is the best Madden I've played in years. Now it's time for them to go towards signature style attributes. With ratings based animations ala NBA 2K16.

A problem with Madden and real life, something they'll never be able to figure out really, is that if coaches in real life started universally running onside kicks and never punting, then it would significantly change the way defenses play and they would effectively shut down those plays. In real life, an onside kick works about 10% of the time, but if every team onsides kicked on every kickoff, it would work much less than that because part of that 10% in real life is surprise, inexperience by the recovering team, and and unpreparedness. If the onside kick were run 3/4 kickoffs in the NFL, then teams would recover virtually all of them.

In Madden, it can't work like that because the plays to combat an onside kick are pre-set, pre-determined plays. Also, of course, in real life, you actually have fans and organizations judging a coach... In my draft champions mode, the guy onsided the opening kickoff, didn't get it, didn't punt once, and ran the same play for the entire game... He lost 28 - 0. If this were real life, the coach would be fired, but in Madden, it's just a loss like any other for this guy... Offset by the 3 wins he had to get to that game. There's obviously no risk to simply throwing a game like that with abandon.

I don't know if forcing someone to call a specific call is really the right answer... but I don't really know if there is a right answer towards fixing this other than "It's part of the game when playing online and those are the breaks when you play random people."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

It's getting really frustrating.

I find that the defensive play last year is much better than this year. The aggressive catch is almost breaking the game.

Afrikan

It seems you can definitely knock the ball out if you do play receiver more often when they are going for agressive catch

I was about to post earlier and bitch about this, but I said I'll give it another try and try it the whole game... and more often than not, they still caught the ball.

shit is ridiculous and makes me want to shelve the game until the first patch...and if they don't fix it, then I'm out early in the season for the first time in a while and I'm trading it in.

Gamestop will still give you $30 for it by the end of the Sept.

I don't know how they could go backwards but they found a way again. All I play is online head to head. And even with that bullshit, I'm up to rank 4,332...and would be much higher.

Stat!

Anyone have any tips for the guy in Draft Champions who throws to Calvin Johnson each time with Tom Brady and Johnson makes the catch in triple coverage lol? Not sure how to defend that.

Just got a PS4 and used to be a huge Madden fan but I haven't played in about 3 years. How's the franchise mode? Can I change players position? Example I draft a DE but want to make him an OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Is it possible to do a 32 team season/franchise?

Anyone have any tips for the guy in Draft Champions who throws to Calvin Johnson each time with Tom Brady and Johnson makes the catch in triple coverage lol? Not sure how to defend that.

Don't play the ball, play the man. It's not easy, the guy has 2 great matchups there. But if you play the man you'll have a much better job of breaking it up... If you play the ball Johnson will out play all of your CBs. Still might catch it more often than not, but figuring he's probably going up against 2 60s or 70s on a given play int hat, Johnson is a big advantage.

Can't win a game only going deep and aggressive catching.

Just got a PS4 and used to be a huge Madden fan but I haven't played in about 3 years. How's the franchise mode? Can I change players position? Example I draft a DE but want to make him an OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Is it possible to do a 32 team season/franchise?

Yep but you can only do this in the off-season, which will happen after season 1. THere's usually a pretty significant drop in ratings for a positional change like that, unless it's a very specific player

Franchise mode is definitely the bread and butter of Madden, it's a pretty great mode, although word is they need a patch for it.

I find that the defensive play last year is much better than this year. The aggressive catch is almost breaking the game.

I was about to post earlier and bitch about this, but I said I'll give it another try and try it the whole game... and more often than not, they still caught the ball.

shit is ridiculous and makes me want to shelve the game until the first patch...and if they don't fix it, then I'm out early in the season for the first time in a while and I'm trading it in.

Gamestop will still give you $30 for it by the end of the Sept.

I don't know how they could go backwards but they found a way again. All I play is online head to head. And even with that bullshit, I'm up to rank 4,332...and would be much higher.

Weird how different everyone's experiences can be in this game. I actually find the people who just throw bombs all day the easiest to play against. Just played a DC game against a guy who threw to Calvin all the time deep and held him to 10 total points and picked him off twice. I've found playing the man works so much better especially if you don't have an elite corner.

So I went online with my 64 overall MUT team with 0 golds (saving the contracts for when I get serious, resisting urge to spend real money tho) so literally all my players are 50s and 60s and some are even out of position in the 40s.

I only wanted to start the season to get my MUT reward so I wasn't going to take the game seriously and was pretty much going to afk on defense and run the clock out on offense to speed up the game. Somehow I stop the guy on 4th down after he gets the ball first. My first play, HB toss for 3 yards. Next play, slants to my right receiver who is actually a TE who takes it to the end zone for 60+ yards. Guy just quits.

I'll take the W I guess.

Afrikan

Weird how different everyone's experiences can be in this game. I actually find the people who just throw bombs all day the easiest to play against. Just played a DC game against a guy who threw to Calvin all the time deep and held him to 10 total points and picked him off twice. I've found playing the man works so much better especially if you don't have an elite corner.

If someone was throwing it deep everytime... then it would be easier and I can just double those outside guys and maybe get tipped INTs... but I'm playing tough people who are ranked in the 100s-1000s.

so I have to worry about potential big play runs... so I stop their runs and their underneath routes..and get them on 3rd down and boom chuck it deep into double coverage, and even if i know it's comming...doesn't matter most of the time.

and it's not just deep passes but the snap quick no look passes....aiming high and reciever some how catches it when i have a defender glued infront of him and behind him.

I have one game recorded where I was playing Green Bay..and Dude just snaped and throw even though i have his guy locked up... and dude somehow catches in the endzone. like he is draped..and he's doing a side diving animation. Which turned the game around.

The issue is, when some players did that last year...it might have worked against single coverage.. but it would be picked or broken up if you doubled the receiver. You paid for doing that dumb shit. But this year because od the aggressive catch...there are weird *catches* being made. Some that look like INTs, but some how the receivers hand is holding the ball like glue.

Again, this is embarrassing.

mrpookles

Yep. I think I'm almost out until they patch it. The game is stellar apart from that, but it's a such a huge issue.

I copped it to a degree playing against Roethlisberger, but Manuel? Fuck off.

Don't play the ball, play the man. It's not easy, the guy has 2 great matchups there. But if you play the man you'll have a much better job of breaking it up... If you play the ball Johnson will out play all of your CBs. Still might catch it more often than not, but figuring he's probably going up against 2 60s or 70s on a given play int hat, Johnson is a big advantage.

Can't win a game only going deep and aggressive catching.

Yep but you can only do this in the off-season, which will happen after season 1. THere's usually a pretty significant drop in ratings for a positional change like that, unless it's a very specific player

Franchise mode is definitely the bread and butter of Madden, it's a pretty great mode, although word is they need a patch for it.

Thanks!

Quikies83

So I played my first match online and lost to a first possession field goal in overtime... Like right after the coin toss with the official explaining the new rules... How the fuck can this slip by testing????

Love the game offline and vs friends/league mates but online versus randoms the catching mechanic has brought me to a new level of rage I have never reached before while playing Madden.

I've been getting destroyed by Rogers, Stafford, and Dalton against Seattle's defense. Seems like the A.I. will just start fumbling the ball or letting my defense get sacks later on in the game to let my team either win or get back into the game, but my team always shuts down the run. Zone blitzing seems to be to only way to slow them down even remotely. This has always been my biggest problem in Madden games.

So I played my first match online and lost to a first possession field goal in overtime... Like right after the coin toss with the official explaining the new rules... How the fuck can this slip by testing????

Goddamn man... is this yet another year where Overtime rules STILL don't work online? It's been... 3 years... since this rule changed, right?

Searched for this, and other people aren't getting it. This guy has a twitch stream of it working correctly: http://www.twitch.tv/cooper417/v/12595326

The rule is even a little more confusing because if time expires in OT1, the game continues, which is somethign that very rarely happens in the NFL.

Quikies83

Goddamn man... is this yet another year where Overtime rules STILL don't work online? It's been... 3 years... since this rule changed, right?

Searched for this, and other people aren't getting it. This guy has a twitch stream of it working correctly: http://www.twitch.tv/cooper417/v/12595326

The rule is even a little more confusing because if time expires in OT1, the game continues, which is somethign that very rarely happens in the NFL.

I read another person is seeing this in franchise mode. We are both playing as the Chiefs... Maybe they just don't respect KC.
Seriously though, this is odd.

Maybe they just correctly assume that KC is incapable of winning overtime games...? :D

Wouldn't be surprised if this issue is limited to Franchise mode. There are seemingly plenty of inconsistencies between gameplay in the two modes. Last year, in career mode, you had that wind bug that was never fixed.. 10MPH + winds in every game blowing endzone to endzone... in EVERY GAME... And it's not something that affected other modes.

This year I played 1 CC game and noticed strong winds again, so I'm really hoping it's not in the game again this year. It made it so frustrating that in every game you had one team kicking with the wind one quarter and agaisnt the next, and it was always STRONG wind. So, you'd see 65+ yard field goals for one quarter, and then a max of 45 yard field goals for the next.

They really need to get rid of aggressive catches. It's breaking the game similar to what the rocket catch did a few years ago in NCAA.

Also I never play it online unless it's a CFM with some friends. I hated running into that so much.

Found some awesome sliders on OS where you control only one player on defense and offense. Has a strict no switching rule. Actually makes building your team important. The sliders are built in a way to have the plays made from the their ratings. It has produced the most realistic results of any sliders I've used.

4-3 with the Lions in the first season.

Kumquat

I'm interested in playing people who are about actually playing a realistic game of football and not constantly going for 2, onside kicking, and running the same broken route over and over.

PSN: Kumquatv1

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Wow so franchise mode in this game is broken. Waste of a purchase I guess....can't even use updated rosters in franchise mode...okay.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I totally recommend people get the doritos packs if you are looking for chips. It is like a deluxe pack for MUT that can include up to 4 gold or elites along with LT!

I played the Super Bowl weekly challenge against the Cowboys 5 times. I normally play, and win, on all-pro but this challenge was just pro so I had it in the bag. Each time I would storm back, get the lead and the last drive they scored a touchdown EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Like clockwork. I literally pulled my linebacker and put him on Dez Bryant along with the corner and he would aggressive catch every time, march the Cowboys down the field and win the game.

Top Bottom