• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia definitive edition is the remake I (nobody?) wasn't expecting

Denton

What are the major differences that put you off the remaster compared to the original?
1) gameplay is much more arcadey/actiony, right down to stupid conveniently placed exploding barrels, many more enemies, less emphasis on simulation, lame cover system, almost no recoil, removal of many drives around the city and Lucas Bertone sidemissions, shortening some missions significantly..

2) rewritten ending in a way that turns memorable, touching-yet-cynical ending with an actual point into a banality

3) Much less memorable atmosphere due to completely different (and much worse) soundtrack, both original and licensed

That said, I did enjoy it and have fun with it. But at the same time, I was thinking how much better it could have been had it adhered to design principles and storytelling of the original (and kept its brilliant soundtrack).

I don't really consider this a remake (and definitely not "definitive edition"), but more like a...reimagination.

Someone on youtube translated some of Daniel Vavra's comments about the remake:

I am bit more positive about the remake (and especially about Mafia 3) than Dan, but he ain't wrong.

Last edited:

xPikYx

1) gameplay is much more arcadey/actiony, right down to stupid conveniently placed exploding barrels, many more enemies, less emphasis on simulation, lame cover system, almost no recoil, removal of many drives around the city and Lucas Bertone sidemissions, shortening some missions significantly..

2) rewritten ending in a way that turns memorable, touching-yet-cynical ending with an actual point into a banality

3) Much less memorable atmosphere due to completely different (and much worse) soundtrack, both original and licensed

That said, I did enjoy it and have fun with it. But at the same time, I was thinking how much better it could have been had it adhered to design principles and storytelling of the original (and kept its brilliant soundtrack).

I don't really consider this a remake (and definitely not "definitive edition"), but more like a...reimagination.

I am bit more positive about the remake (and especially about Mafia 3) than Dan, but he ain't wrong.
This because you didn't play it on PC, on PC you can mod it and you can get back the original soundtrack as well as the realism difficulty where with one shot you get killed and behind cover you can't see your enemies so you have to actually shoot and cover like the original

IDappa

See I haven't played the original so guess I didn't know what I was missing out on. As I said above I thoroughly enjoyed it. However it did seem like it was missing content like side missions. It was weird to have this open world but have nothing to actually do in it.

I'll have to play the old one on pc, hopefully there's some visual mods as the remaster spoiled me in that department.

Last edited:

Denton

This because you didn't play it on PC, on PC you can mod it and you can get back the original soundtrack as well as the realism difficulty where with one shot you get killed and behind cover you can't see your enemies so you have to actually shoot and cover like the original

Of course I played it on PC. Maxed out, 60fps. Back when it launched, so there were no mods. I played on "classic" difficulty, which was pain in the ass to be honest, with enemies too bullet spongey.

See I haven't played the original so guess I didn't know what I was missing out on. As I said above I thoroughly enjoyed it. However it did seem like it was missing content like side missions. It was weird to have this open world but have nothing to actually do in it.

I'll have to play the old one on pc, hopefully there's some visual mods as the remaster spoiled me in that department.

I totally see how for people who never played the original but enjoy storydriven games, this reimakination is awesome. It is well polished, it looks beautiful, plays well.

And while I prefer the original in most ways, it being 20 years old obviously means it is deficient in some ways (mostly graphics and the fact that it has no full controller support, although amazingly enough, driving with gamepad works well). There are also some story enhancements in the new game - specifically characters talking during drives is great, and a bit more space given to Sarah is good too.

For 20 year old game with some mods the original can still looks pretty damn nice though

original:

mafiascreenshot2020.0u6joc.png

remake:

mafiadefinitiveeditiof8k61.png

aries_71

In general terms this remaster was very good, but at it's core is an old game. Under the polished graphic layer you notice that many elements are very old school.

One thing that REALLY put me off in this remaster is the music. I don't recall if the original game was the same, but music mood/selection was so bad that at times it became distracting.

xPikYx

I just reworked my reshade using an ultra realistic reshade made for assetto corsa, especially to use when driving in first person

Top Bottom