• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering - Arena |OT| Adventures in the Forgotten Realms - Rollin' Crits

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
0LSm01Z.png

Welcome to the Magic: The Gathering - Arena NeoGAF community. I'll be updating this OP as new stuff comes out.

Let's talk about the game, discuss strategies, and coordinate online duels.

Newest set:
Strixhaven

Previous sets:
Kaldheim

A.Romero

Thanks for creating the thread!

I haven't played as much recently but I still enjoy playing once in a while. Mostly with my brother.

Normally I use the preconstructed decks and have modified a few of them to create new ones. For example I added an extra Bane Slayer Angel to the black and white deck because my brother's deck was heavy on demons.

Right now I'm holding a bunch of wildcards, I have avoided using them because I'm not 100% sure what would be the best deck possible to create. However, it seems the RNG equalizes things a bit because I can beat my brother 50% of the time while he is using custom decks with a lot of info from the meta game.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Is the mobile version of this coming ? I played on PC for a while but I felt I would always play more on mobile like I did hearthstone.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is it normal that the Kaldheim mastery tiers are like... empty? Seems like there is only a new reward every 2-3 tiers. On the previous one, there was an unlock for every tier.

A.Romero

Is it normal that the Kaldheim mastery tiers are like... empty? Seems like there is only a new reward every 2-3 tiers. On the previous one, there was an unlock for every tier.

No, every tier has a reward. I got the pass today and it was so.

I have iPhone :(

It's going to be a while, then. If it's any consolation, it seems that is not very fit for a phone because of the size of the text and such.

jshackles

No, every tier has a reward. I got the pass today and it was so.
Weird, I wonder if it's some kind of bug with my account? Shows this on both PC and Android:

qn7jNIg.png

And this starting page is one of the better ones. Some pages (out of the 8 there) are completely blank. Most of them look like this:

XuEMX8V.png

Maybe they just really want me to unlock that mastery pass.....

A.Romero

Weird, I wonder if it's some kind of bug with my account? Shows this on both PC and Android:

qn7jNIg.png

And this starting page is one of the better ones. Some pages (out of the 8 there) are completely blank. Most of them look like this:

XuEMX8V.png

Maybe they just really want me to unlock that mastery pass.....

I misunderstood. I thought you said you had the mastery pass.

Higher levels have less rewards. The game is designed to hook you at the beginning but once you are in the rewards come in slower and slower.

I caved and bought the mastery pass but I think it's worth it. I play about 4 or 5 hours a week.

A.Romero

I don’t understand why it didn’t launch on the iPad and tablets ages ago. Need to drive precious paper card sales probably.

I personally think it's not that. It's about development capacity. The pc client had priority and now that everything has been tested and the business model works, they are launching elsewhere.

They had other magic games in the past in all platforms. I remember playing one on PS3.

Cyberpunkd

I personally think it's not that. It's about development capacity. The pc client had priority and now that everything has been tested and the business model works, they are launching elsewhere.

They had other magic games in the past in all platforms. I remember playing one on PS3.
You either go out of the gates guns blazing or you don’t, especially in a market where Hearthstone exists. Should have hired more devs, but once again - like Games Workshop, Wizard of the Coast is paranoid about not cannibalising their existing MtG card sales.

A.Romero

You either go out of the gates guns blazing or you don’t, especially in a market where Hearthstone exists. Should have hired more devs, but once again - like Games Workshop, Wizard of the Coast is paranoid about not cannibalising their existing MtG card sales.

Could be, just saying that if that was the case there wouldn't be at least 3 other previous games.

Personally I don't care. Never played with physical cards and have only spent about $25 to play on pc so far. If I'm a reference they are reaching people they wouldn't otherwise.

Cyberpunkd

Could be, just saying that if that was the case there wouldn't be at least 3 other previous games.
AFAIK these games were not full fledged Magic games, always cutting corners and holding back. Arena is the first game since MGO that keeps up with new set releases.

Last edited:

A.Romero

AFAIK these games were not full fledged Magic games, always cutting corners and holding back. Arena is the first game since MGO that keeps up with new set releases.

That's probably true. I didn't know much about the game back then.

All I can say is that right now I'm hooked. To be honest I can't imagine playing with physical cards and keeping track of everything. Doesn't sound fun to me.

jshackles

One of the nice QoL changes in Kaldheim is that "mill" is an actual term now. So cards that used to say "target player puts the top two cards from the top of their library into their graveyard" now just say "target player mills two cards". It's what everyone's always called it anyway, since the introduction of the mill stone in the revised edition in 1993.

Swj8SIY.png

One thing that's cool about Arena specifically, is that all of the older cards that used this mechanic have now been updated to the new verbiage.

One thing that's not cool about cards automatically being errata's is that my Godzilla is now Zilortha (I guess because they lost the rights to the characters?)

God Enel

I was heavily invested in mtg back in the days and am looking at spoilers from time to time. Kinda following what’s going on but I don’t really have the time to play.

they should implement a feature when you buy the cards in paper that you can use them in arena.
Would be even more awesome if it would be possible with cards that have been printed pre arena.

still have 3 white bordered mint underground seas and two volcanic islands. (It’s like my best investement. Bought them back in 2005? Or so when they’ve been 30bucks. And they’re up and rising lol. Though I traded my sliver queen and cradle. Fuck me but it is what it is)

A.Romero

I was heavily invested in mtg back in the days and am looking at spoilers from time to time. Kinda following what’s going on but I don’t really have the time to play.

they should implement a feature when you buy the cards in paper that you can use them in arena.
Would be even more awesome if it would be possible with cards that have been printed pre arena.

still have 3 white bordered mint underground seas and two volcanic islands. (It’s like my best investement. Bought them back in 2005? Or so when they’ve been 30bucks. And they’re up and rising lol. Though I traded my sliver queen and cradle. Fuck me but it is what it is)

I think they do support using codes that come in physical to unlock the digital version in Arena but only newer cards.

I think the wildcard system is alright. You get to unlock wildcards that you can trade for any card you want. The idea is to complement the rng with something similar to what you would get by trading with other people or purchasing the cars directly irl.

I think it works fine and makes the game a bit more fair. I'm guessing the physical game is inclined towards people spending more money having an advantage.

God Enel

I think they do support using codes that come in physical to unlock the digital version in Arena but only newer cards.

I think the wildcard system is alright. You get to unlock wildcards that you can trade for any card you want. The idea is to complement the rng with something similar to what you would get by trading with other people or purchasing the cars directly irl.

I think it works fine and makes the game a bit more fair. I'm guessing the physical game is inclined towards people spending more money having an advantage.
Never new that they supported it. I have to admit that I only tested the beta of it and afaik it wasn’t supported back then. But it’s awesome that they’re making it possible. I think it’s a smart decision to be able to play your decks that you physically own offline to use online.

Are planeswalkers still ruining the game?
No, I wouldn't say so.

I've been playing again and on mobile since my laptop is in the shop. Have been drafting Kaldheim which has been fun but kinda tricky on such a small screen. In game is also fiddly too but hey, it works and I would have killed for mobile MTG a few years back.

Hey everyone, is the below deck just really terrible? I'm struggling to get a win in bronze 2 and I'm surprised to have hit a wall this early. It's a giants deck I drafted with a few tweaks for constructed but it's not doing very well. It's possible that I'm also piloting it very badly. Anyway, thoughts please:

Deck
2 Invasion of the Giants (KHM) 215
1 Frostpyre Arcanist (KHM) 58
1 Facet Reader (IKO) 50
2 Littjara Kinseekers (KHM) 66
1 Cinderheart Giant (KHM) 126
1 Brinebarrow Intruder (KHM) 49
1 Depart the Realm (KHM) 53
1 Disdainful Stroke (KHM) 54
1 Birgi, God of Storytelling (KHM) 123
2 Strategic Planning (KHM) 77
2 Craven Hulk (KHM) 127
2 Behold the Multiverse (KHM) 46
1 Saw It Coming (KHM) 76
2 Surtland Frostpyre (KHM) 271
1 Provoke the Trolls (KHM) 144
1 Run Amok (KHM) 147
1 Essence Scatter (IKO) 49
1 Moritte of the Frost (KHM) 223
1 Mistwalker (KHM) 68
1 The Bears of Littjara (KHM) 205
4 Snow-Covered Mountain (KHM) 282
3 Forest (ANB) 112
1 Tectonic Giant (THB) 158
5 Snow-Covered Mountain (KHM) 283
7 Snow-Covered Island (KHM) 278
3 Snow-Covered Island (KHM) 279
1 Bind the Monster (KHM) 48
1 Frost Bite (KHM) 138
1 Squash (KHM) 152
1 Bloodline Pretender (KHM) 235
1 Open the Omenpaths (KHM) 143
2 Shock (M21) 159
1 Aegar, the Freezing Flame (KHM) 200
1 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
1 Pilfering Hawk (KHM) 71
1 Dragonkin Berserker (KHM) 131

A.Romero

Hey everyone, is the below deck just really terrible? I'm struggling to get a win in bronze 2 and I'm surprised to have hit a wall this early. It's a giants deck I drafted with a few tweaks for constructed but it's not doing very well. It's possible that I'm also piloting it very badly. Anyway, thoughts please:

Deck
2 Invasion of the Giants (KHM) 215
1 Frostpyre Arcanist (KHM) 58
1 Facet Reader (IKO) 50
2 Littjara Kinseekers (KHM) 66
1 Cinderheart Giant (KHM) 126
1 Brinebarrow Intruder (KHM) 49
1 Depart the Realm (KHM) 53
1 Disdainful Stroke (KHM) 54
1 Birgi, God of Storytelling (KHM) 123
2 Strategic Planning (KHM) 77
2 Craven Hulk (KHM) 127
2 Behold the Multiverse (KHM) 46
1 Saw It Coming (KHM) 76
2 Surtland Frostpyre (KHM) 271
1 Provoke the Trolls (KHM) 144
1 Run Amok (KHM) 147
1 Essence Scatter (IKO) 49
1 Moritte of the Frost (KHM) 223
1 Mistwalker (KHM) 68
1 The Bears of Littjara (KHM) 205
4 Snow-Covered Mountain (KHM) 282
3 Forest (ANB) 112
1 Tectonic Giant (THB) 158
5 Snow-Covered Mountain (KHM) 283
7 Snow-Covered Island (KHM) 278
3 Snow-Covered Island (KHM) 279
1 Bind the Monster (KHM) 48
1 Frost Bite (KHM) 138
1 Squash (KHM) 152
1 Bloodline Pretender (KHM) 235
1 Open the Omenpaths (KHM) 143
2 Shock (M21) 159
1 Aegar, the Freezing Flame (KHM) 200
1 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
1 Pilfering Hawk (KHM) 71
1 Dragonkin Berserker (KHM) 131

Personally I think 3 colored decks have a tougher time competing unless you take your time to really analyze possible scenarios.

You can look for some tri colored lands (not sure if they are still a thing) or at least dual colored (forest and mountain or forest and island). Having these greatly increases your chances to get what you need to work with the hand you are dealt. You could also get some stuff like evolving lands so you can get the colors you need.

Otherwise, I feel you have to be very lucky to get enough mana to get your synergies going, specially in the first few turns. Aggro decks could beat you while you are still trying to get enough mana to start.

If you are starting I'd recommend using the pre-built decks. I still use them for dailies and have taken those as base to build my own for competition.

Personally I think 3 colored decks have a tougher time competing unless you take your time to really analyze possible scenarios.

You can look for some tri colored lands (not sure if they are still a thing) or at least dual colored (forest and mountain or forest and island). Having these greatly increases your chances to get what you need to work with the hand you are dealt. You could also get some stuff like evolving lands so you can get the colors you need.

Otherwise, I feel you have to be very lucky to get enough mana to get your synergies going, specially in the first few turns. Aggro decks could beat you while you are still trying to get enough mana to start.

If you are starting I'd recommend using the pre-built decks. I still use them for dailies and have taken those as base to build my own for competition.
It's only a splash of green, I don't think it's really made the much of a difference. It only two green cards and I've not been stuck needing to cast then. Yes they might be a greedy splash but I don't think they are the main problem.

The pre built decks are trash, I really don't think going back to them is going to push me into bronze 1.

I'm not that new but haven't played in six months and it seems the decks in lower bronze are currently way better then they seemed to be before. I've lost probably six in a row now and it feels so bad. I'm remembering why I gave up magic in the first place. I guess I'll just have to net deck to get anywhere or play red aggro.

I've made tons of misplays for sure but I usually get some wins in spite of them. I guess made this deck really is just that bad but I'm not sure why. Not enough creatures? Removal? Bad curve? Not enough draw?

Who the f knows? Might as well just boring net deck.

A.Romero

It's only a splash of green, I don't think it's really made the much of a difference. It only two green cards and I've not been stuck needing to cast then. Yes they might be a greedy splash but I don't think they are the main problem.

The pre built decks are trash, I really don't think going back to them is going to push me into bronze 1.

I'm not that new but haven't played in six months and it seems the decks in lower bronze are currently way better then they seemed to be before. I've lost probably six in a row now and it feels so bad. I'm remembering why I gave up magic in the first place. I guess I'll just have to net deck to get anywhere or play red aggro.

I've made tons of misplays for sure but I usually get some wins in spite of them. I guess made this deck really is just that bad but I'm not sure why. Not enough creatures? Removal? Bad curve? Not enough draw?

Who the f knows? Might as well just boring net deck.

Maybe try adding some dual lands for probability sake?

Regarding prebuilt decks: I usually hover in Patinum Tier 1 with the prebuilt changing 2 or 3 cards. I have a huge amount of wildcards because I'm too lazy to build from scratch.

Maybe try adding some dual lands for probability sake?

Regarding prebuilt decks: I usually hover in Patinum Tier 1 with the prebuilt changing 2 or 3 cards. I have a huge amount of wildcards because I'm too lazy to build from scratch.
The decks it gives you at the start for the colour challenges?

That can't be possible?

A.Romero

The decks it gives you at the start for the colour challenges?

That can't be possible?

Yes, those decks. You can unlock 1 per color and several mixed. Here is a list of the ones you can unlock:

They are pretty capable in general. Some of them have 50-60% win rate.

I've had very good runs with To adventure and Stomp Stomp.

Plus you get to build new decks with all the cards that belong to those pre-constructed.

Yes, those decks. You can unlock 1 per color and several mixed. Here is a list of the ones you can unlock:

They are pretty capable in general. Some of them have 50-60% win rate.

I've had very good runs with To adventure and Stomp Stomp.

Plus you get to build new decks with all the cards that belong to those pre-constructed.
There's no way that the preconstructed free decks can get you to platinum rank and have a 60% win rate unless you're in the MTG hall of fame or something. The cards are just so underpowered compared to net decks at that level I imagine.

Plus it's incredibly boring to unlock them. I've done two colours but it's mine numbing.

Maybe I'll just drop the game again. It's a shame as I love it (so much so I listen to a podcast about limited - limited resources) but I can't take losing. It's like it's fun right until I lose for the tenth game in a row and then in want to throw my phone out the window. It's not healthy.

A.Romero

There's no way that the preconstructed free decks can get you to platinum rank and have a 60% win rate unless you're in the MTG hall of fame or something. The cards are just so underpowered compared to net decks at that level I imagine.

Plus it's incredibly boring to unlock them. I've done two colours but it's mine numbing.

Maybe I'll just drop the game again. It's a shame as I love it (so much so I listen to a podcast about limited - limited resources) but I can't take losing. It's like it's fun right until I lose for the tenth game in a row and then in want to throw my phone out the window. It's not healthy.

No reason to lie. There is a big luck factor in the game so despite going against more expensive decks, it is not impossible to win with the preconstructed decks. The highest tier usually play on Diamond but I have beaten players using decks filled with God cards or really good synergy. Based on luck and a little bit of skill (I don't consider myself particularly good).

Some examples of changes I've made to the pre-constructed decks:

Stomp Stomp: Added embercleave (1), Ironscale hydra (1), Anax, hardened in the forge (1) and Tajuru Blightblade (1) Lukka Coppercoat Outcast, Swarm (for a total of 2). To be honest can't remember what I removed.
Life skills: Added a second Baneslayer Angel and Griffin Aerie (for a total of 3)

Switched basic lands for snow lands just because they look cooler.

Personally I liked the initial grind to unlock the dual color decks. Right now I play the colors that the daily quests need on Ranked just for fun.

Yes, I get to lose but I don't particularly care. If I did I would exchange some of the wildcards I currently have: Mythic (13), Rare (29), Uncommon (72) and Common (58). I just don't find joy in copying decks in the first places on meta just for the sake of always winning using the same cheap shots (Urgin, et al).

I like being able to quickly play a match to add on to the daily grind but I'm not deep into the meta game. I'm subbed to the Arena subreddit and that's it.

Even the best decks tend to lose quite a few times. You can check the best places in the meta rankings. I've played against pretty good decks and I can tell the other players are frustrated but hey, it's just the nature of the game. When luck is involved you can always lose against a better draw.

Oh so I'm gonna have to complete all the colour challenges and then grind dailies to unlock the two colour pre constructed?

Wish I could just construct a deck out of my collection that wasn't trash, would save a lot of faff. I'm sure it's possible but what I've tried isn't working at all.

Also, what are you grinding for? You said the daily grind but isn't the point to grind for cards to then use to get a great rank in ranked? Otherwise what's the point of grinding?

Last edited:

A.Romero

Oh so I'm gonna have to complete all the colour challenges and then grind dailies to unlock the two colour pre constructed?

Wish I could just construct a deck out of my collection that wasn't trash, would save a lot of faff. I'm sure it's possible but what I've tried isn't working at all.

Also, what are you grinding for? You said the daily grind but isn't the point to grind for cards to then use to get a great rank in ranked? Otherwise what's the point of grinding?

Well, it's F2P so you either spend money or time, no way around it. You can build a deck but you are going to have to open decks. Each dual color has at least 30 cards that you can later use to build something else so...

Regarding the grind, I don't know. I just enjoy playing. I'll probably trade in some wildcards with the new coming set.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It's still a few months away so we can probably amass some more.

Do you know how many mythic cards are going to be part of the FR set?

No idea but I'm going to spent a stupid amount of money on that set. Already planning to buy a lot of physical cards for it and I only play on Arena now. Going to buy all of the decks that include the Arena code and then probably the pre-order bundles on Arena.

A.Romero

No idea but I'm going to spent a stupid amount of money on that set. Already planning to buy a lot of physical cards for it and I only play on Arena now. Going to buy all of the decks that include the Arena code and then probably the pre-order bundles on Arena.

Nice! I don't own any physical cards. To be honest that's what always stopped me from playing.

I will get the mastery pass for arena, though.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Nice! I don't own any physical cards. To be honest that's what always stopped me from playing.

I will get the mastery pass for arena, though.
Haven't had many physical cards for a long time. I did have complete sets of Revised through Ice Age back in the day though. But for Forgotten Realms I will buy physical just to have the cards.

A.Romero

Don't forget, the mastery pass gives you 10 mythics from the set, if you finish it.

I didn't know. This is a very good tip.

I'm currently at level 65 with only 4 days left so I really doubt I can make it this time but I'll try to do a better job next time.

Top Bottom