• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

One of my friends was running an Olivia Voldaren, which I thought could be a cool Black/Red vampire tribal deck, but my friends tell me that combination is pretty weak for EDH for its relative lack of artifact/enchantment removal. Given my lack of keeping up with new sets, (Some of the new effects/abilites I'm reading are nuts, btw) are my friends bullshitting me or no?

I can't think about enchantment removals but red has a few destroy arifacts cards such as Ancient Grudge and Manac Vandal (I think it's what it's called).

Fake Edit: I did a little research for you. Sticking with R/B, here's what I found
Destory enchantments:
-Duergar Hedge-Mage
-Quagmire Druid

Hex

Banned
One of my friends was running an Olivia Voldaren, which I thought could be a cool Black/Red vampire tribal deck, but my friends tell me that combination is pretty weak for EDH for its relative lack of artifact/enchantment removal. Given my lack of keeping up with new sets, (Some of the new effects/abilites I'm reading are nuts, btw) are my friends bullshitting me or no?

Red has some of , if not the best artifact removal in the game.
Enchantments on the other hand not so much.
There are some artifacts that destroy permanents though and that deals with enchantments like anything else.
Red and black also has some serious hate on white/green/blue cards which can also get rid of enchantments.

ultron87

*randomly buys three boosters at store*

*get Huntmaster of the Fells, Garruk Relentless, and cards to finish play set of Lingering Souls and Drogscol Captain for spirit deck I'm building*

This is not going to help dissuade my pack buying habit.

*randomly buys three boosters at store*

*get Huntmaster of the Fells, Garruk Relentless, and cards to finish play set of Lingering Souls and Drogscol Captain for spirit deck I'm building*

This is not going to help dissuade my pack buying habit.

Used up all your luck for the year. No more!

Hex

Banned
I would have said Innistrad.

Geist, Liliana, duals, Delver, Snapcaster, unburial rites, Olivia.

NP has some good stuff, but the rarity mix in boxes of NP has always been bad for me.

well i have been looking at buying a box of cards, I guess I could include scars of mirrodin and mirrodin besieged as well. basically anything that is able to be purchased for around or under $100.

ajf009

picked up a few boosters of DA today, pulled a Sorin, Mikaeus the Unhallowed, Predator Ooze, and Ravenous Demon.. god I can't wait to try em out.

and is it just me or does it feel like Tragic Slip was a typo in the morbid effect?

y2dvd

picked up a few boosters of DA today, pulled a Sorin, Mikaeus the Unhallowed, Predator Ooze, and Ravenous Demon.. god I can't wait to try em out.

and is it just me or does it feel like Tragic Slip was a typo in the morbid effect?

The -13/-13? I guess it's an odd number. The number "13" is associated with bad luck or death isn't it?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The number 13 is a theme in this block so.

(Yeah it's not very creative)

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Pulled my first Sorin last night. :)

So, did that Cockatrice playgroup ever get off the ground?

Anyone else here a MODO beta tester? I just realized there's a playset of Standard on the beta client. That would be a sweet way to test and play.

f0rk

My local store started a DA league today with a sealed pool that you can add 1 booster to each week. I got a sick zombie pool with Gravecrawler, Diregraft Ghoul, 2 Screeching Skabb, Scabb Goliath, Stitched Drake, Evil Twin, Helvault, Boneflinger and some removal. Went 5-0 for the first week, and opened the 4/4 undying zombie and another Screeching Skabb for next week. It's probably one of the best zombie archetype decks you could hope for out of 6 boosters, despite not having the captain.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
My local store started a DA league today with a sealed pool that you can add 1 booster to each week. I got a sick zombie pool with Gravecrawler, Diregraft Ghoul, 2 Screeching Skabb, Scabb Goliath, Stitched Drake, Evil Twin, Helvault, Boneflinger and some removal. Went 5-0 for the first week, and opened the 4/4 undying zombie and another Screeching Skabb for next week. It's probably one of the best zombie archetype decks you could hope for out of 6 boosters, despite not having the captain.

Undying is damn good, your deck will become ridiculous if you get the lord.

f0rk

Undying is damn good, your deck will become ridiculous if you get the lord.

I have two Undying Evil and a Ghoulcaller's Chant as well lol.

I just sleeved up the version with the new booster and drew a hand.
Diregraf Ghoul
Spectral Flight
Stiched Drake
Reap the Seagraf
Island Island Swamp

I wish Modern was cheaper to get into and more widely played, the top decks all seem powerful and interesting.

Lucario

I'm really liking Runechanter's Pike more now that we have Thought Scour..... So fun to run a deck with 4 each of scour, ponder, and probe and occasionally have 10 instants in your 'yard by turn 3, and swing for the kill with a flipped delver on a pike the next turn :p

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Playing standard at a tournament for the first time in a very very long time. Can't decide between mono green, blue black zombies, or tempered steel. Zombies has been very consistent beating my friends delver decks consistently, but it can be a little slow. Mono green is very fun, with dungrove elders, strangleroots, and predator oozes using swords to quickly beat opponents down. It destroys everything except when facing mirran crusaders, which are quite common in standard unfortunately. And tempered steel is a pretty fun deck but I'm not all that sold on it.

OnPoint

Siddx: Tempered Steel is the fastest build in standard, currently, based on my experience. However, if Tempered Steel doesn't have you on the ropes or win by turns four or five, you can usually overtake it and outmuscle it. It's not suited well for a late game push at all.

Monogreen is currently unproven but I believe it has a lot to offer. I'm curious to see what people do with it... Dungrove and Thrun were already almost enough to push it over the edge, but awesome new creatures like Strangleroot and Vorapede are already proving to be worthy additions as well. Blue black zombies can work as well, but I have a friend who is trying to build one out (best deck builder I know) and he can't get past the fact that there isn't a great two-drop for the deck to play. It can be an absolute bitch to play against, though.

I'm really liking Runechanter's Pike more now that we have Thought Scour..... So fun to run a deck with 4 each of scour, ponder, and probe and occasionally have 10 instants in your 'yard by turn 3, and swing for the kill with a flipped delver on a pike the next turn :p

Spliterfright and Boneyard Wurm also benefit from this card greatly.

siddx

Siddx: Tempered Steel is the fastest build in standard, currently, based on my experience. However, if Tempered Steel doesn't have you on the ropes or win by turns four or five, you can usually overtake it and outmuscle it. It's not suited well for a late game push at all.

Monogreen is currently unproven but I believe it has a lot to offer. I'm curious to see what people do with it... Dungrove and Thrun were already almost enough to push it over the edge, but awesome new creatures like Strangleroot and Vorapede are already proving to be worthy additions as well. Blue black zombies can work as well, but I have a friend who is trying to build one out (best deck builder I know) and he can't get past the fact that there isn't a great two-drop for the deck to play. It can be an absolute bitch to play against, though.

Spliterfright and Boneyard Wurm also benefit from this card greatly.

Thats my experience with zombies as well, I have go for the throats and mana leaks in there which let me counter on my second turn or kill their delver off, but I'd rather be putting a creature out. But there are no good two drops. Turn three and on is nuts though, cemetery reaper or diregraf captain (running four of each means I pretty much always have one of either to drop) and once the lich comes out things get nasty, dragging creatures out of my opponents graveyards that I murdered with go for the throat or countered with mana leak is very satisfying. And if the game lasts long enough for me to draw and play rooftop storm, things get absurd. The only thing I am missing is a way to sac my creatures to diregarf captain, but I am going to replace my skaab ruinators with something that gives me that option.

Monogreen has been a great surprise for me. My first ever "real" deck when I started playing back in 96 was a stompy deck that I adored, since then I haven't built a similar deck until this one, which is a blast to play. First turn elves or young wolf, second turn strangleroot, third turn dungrove or sword, forth turn thrun or garruk or sword equip. Mine is a bit different from the others i've seen as I run ambush vipers for removal, young wolf because I fucking love that card, and an extra sword to give me 5 total. The only problem is like I said, anything progreen makes life hell.

siddx

Young Wolf might be one of my favorite one drops ever

Yup, it's hard for me to chose between elves and a wolf on turn one sometimes. If I have three lands in my hand I almost always go for the wolf.

Highborn Ghoul is a decent 2 drop zombie, 2/1 Intimidate.

I thought about it, my friend's mono black zombie deck uses it and if I was going monoblack I would definitely as well. But despite wanting a good two drop in my blue black zombies deck, the more I think about it, using my turn two to kill or counter my opponents early game play is useful for letting me have a clean battlefield for the diregraf or cemetery reaper to arrive on. It also gives me a creature in their graveyard to yank out later on if need be.

Wichu

Went back home for my birthday yesterday, and played some EDH with my brothers (MTG is basically their life, and I don't see them much during term time, so we played something they enjoy). Charge counters are way too much fun - Grindclock + Unwinding Clock + Voltaic Key + Everflowing Chalice + proliferate = ridiculously fast milling (I don't think either were using Eldrazi).

Building whole decks around a single mechanic is pretty awesome (as long as that mechanic has decent support) - it's a shame there aren't any charge counter/proliferate commanders (making do with Sharuum). My 'strategy' is basically get out a ton of charge counter artifacts, give them tons of charge counters, and see what I can do from there.

I still need to get the actual cards for the deck; I'm currently proxying about half the non-land cards. I've tried to avoid really expensive ones (and I've procured most of the costly ones already), so it shouldn't be too much more. Then I can start getting the cards for my Snake tribal deck.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, boxing up all the cards I'm sending out. I owned way too many goddamn cards. If you responded with your wishlists, they're on their way tomorrow.

Anybody have 2 Lords of Illusion up for trade, btw? Technomancer?

siddx

Went back home for my birthday yesterday, and played some EDH with my brothers (MTG is basically their life, and I don't see them much during term time, so we played something they enjoy). Charge counters are way too much fun - Grindclock + Unwinding Clock + Voltaic Key + Everflowing Chalice + proliferate = ridiculously fast milling (I don't think either were using Eldrazi).

Building whole decks around a single mechanic is pretty awesome (as long as that mechanic has decent support) - it's a shame there aren't any charge counter/proliferate commanders (making do with Sharuum). My 'strategy' is basically get out a ton of charge counter artifacts, give them tons of charge counters, and see what I can do from there.

I still need to get the actual cards for the deck; I'm currently proxying about half the non-land cards. I've tried to avoid really expensive ones (and I've procured most of the costly ones already), so it shouldn't be too much more. Then I can start getting the cards for my Snake tribal deck.

My friends and I don't play nearly enough EDH anymore, we played for the first time yesterday in months and it was a blast. Sharuum vs. olivia vs. tessa, vs. myself playing Azami. Pulled it out a turn before my death by getting the last counter on my archmage ascension letting me just search out every card I needed to copy my opponent's magister sphinx and put him at ten, search out a spellbook to give me 5 artifacts, and then steal his tezzeret with 5 counters on it and pop it to deal him ten.

y2dvd

Agreed on Undying being a good mechanic. The utility is nice.

So, boxing up all the cards I'm sending out. I owned way too many goddamn cards. If you responded with your wishlists, they're on their way tomorrow.

Anybody have 2 Lords of Illusion up for trade, btw? Technomancer?

Did you get my reply PM?

WanderingWind

Did you get my reply PM?

I did. You mentioned a lot of cards and their prices, but not what you think a fair price is for them. I think something above the 50% offered at a game store, and lower than the 100% they sell them for. Obvious compromise is 75%, but I'm not too versed in the sales habits of the MTG community. I would even be willing to trade the valuable stuff for packs, etc.

The fun for me is in casual play and opening packs. Not having super uber cards that destroy my friends and cause them to not want to play the game any longer...

y2dvd

What does a pirate deck consist of?

I did. You mentioned a lot of cards and their prices, but not what you think a fair price is for them. I think something above the 50% offered at a game store, and lower than the 100% they sell them for. Obvious compromise is 75%, but I'm not too versed in the sales habits of the MTG community. I would even be willing to trade the valuable stuff for packs, etc.

The fun for me is in casual play and opening packs. Not having super uber cards that destroy my friends and cause them to not want to play the game any longer...

If only I had packs or cards you'd be interested in for trading lol. I'll post up I guess fair prices when I get home from work.

suffah

Does maths and stuff

WW, you still need the Illusion Lord? I can send ya a playset.

WanderingWind

Don't need anything right now, I'll drop em in the post tomorrow. To tell you the truth, I somehow ended up with a gazillion of these bastards and just want to dump them, lol.

Nice. Well, let me know what you may be looking for in the future. I have crazy stupid luck with power cards. Thanks man!

shaowebb

Saw this dude at a con one time. Thought you'd get a kick out of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41y3QFQcNu8

Sorry about the camera tilt. I thought the video portion of that old shitty camera also had the ability to position recorrect. I was going for a taller shot and all I got was one on its side. Still though...Magic the gathering armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom