• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunoku

Noble is gonna get disgusting for sure. At this point they can't even put it in Commander because it would mess with the EV too much.

On the bright side, if Noble spikes I might be able to sell out of Hatebears mostly to start work on Delver.

The issue is that Mana Dorks were deemed too strong for Standard, despite the fact that no one was complaining about turn 1 Elvish Mystic, and as long as we continue to get stupid power 3 Drops we're never going to get Dorks again. I'd gladly take Mana Dorks over Spell Queller/Reflector Mage/Rallier

OnPoint

I too miss my spells being spells and not stapled to creatures, and mana dorks with which to ramp. I kind of don't like the modern philosophy on either of those things.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
On the bright side, if Noble spikes I might be able to sell out of Hatebears mostly to start work on Delver.

The issue is that Mana Dorks were deemed too strong for Standard, despite the fact that no one was complaining about turn 1 Elvish Mystic, and as long as we continue to get stupid power 3 Drops we're never going to get Dorks again. I'd gladly take Mana Dorks over Spell Queller/Reflector Mage/Rallier

Nah ill take those sick value 3 drops. Less 2 drop bombs would be fine though. Its not like Green misses dorks that much.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Just had a look at the full spoiler list. Cards I'm happy to see (that weren't previously spoiled):

Soul Warden
Spell Pierce
Cyclonic Rift
Augur of Bolas
Desecration Demon
Unburial Rites
Vampire Nighthawk
Ancient Grudge
Mizzium Mortars
Pyroclasm
Zealous Conscripts
Explore
Advent of the Wurm
Call of the Conclave
Coiling Oracle
Ghor-Clan Rampager
Goblin Electromancer
Obzedat, Ghost Council (at rare!)
Unflinching Courage
Wall of Denial
Boros Reckoner
Gift of Orzhova (because foils are beautiful)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hilarious they just didn't spoil all of the dollar rares at all and left them for the dump.

OnPoint

Bought Countersqualls like a year ago with the intent to build Fae and then didn't. I had no idea they jumped a bit. They were so cheap.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Zelda is awesome
Horizon is awesome
Nier has like a 94 Metacritic
Modern Masters 2017 looks dope

stop it I only have so much money and time

red13th

22 cards I want for Frontier frame/new templating/art upgrades, plus two for EDH decks. And I don't care about several of the high profile reprints such as Tarmogoyf or Cavern of Souls.
I think this is a new record.

Rafy

Zelda is awesome
Horizon is awesome

I feel you. Looks like I will not be spending any money on games in these next few months. All my budget will go towards MM3 and building a Modern collection.

ironmang

Zelda is awesome
Horizon is awesome

Looks like there's some mediocre gaming months ahead so at least we'll all have time to catch up on these relentless first few months.

While I'm happy to see MM17 be such a success, I doubt I'll spend much money on it. Really no cards I'm trying to acquire unless goyfs drop enough that I can lock down a $300 playset. Should get a lot of local interest in the format so I'll probably be playing a lot of modern tournaments from April onwards.

Angry Grimace

That hasn't even covered Mass Effect and Persona

traveler

Not Wario
Zelda is straight up incredible thus far.

Seth Manfield continues to predict Jace's unbanning. I really don't know what the point of that is; I'd love for blue to be better in the format, but blue is weak because it lacks the tools to deal with overly aggressive starts and explosive combos, not because it can't grind out the endgame. The strongest arguments for blue tend to kick in in effectiveness around mid to late game- Ancestral Visions, Snappy, and Cryptic. Unbanning Jace just seems like it would make blue absurdly strong at the stage it's already ok at and do nothing to address its weaknesses.

Angry Grimace

Zelda is straight up incredible thus far.

Seth Manfield continues to predict Jace's unbanning. I really don't know what the point of that is; I'd love for blue to be better in the format, but blue is weak because it lacks the tools to deal with overly aggressive starts and explosive combos, not because it can't grind out the endgame. The strongest arguments for blue tend to kick in in effectiveness around mid to late game- Ancestral Visions, Snappy, and Cryptic. Unbanning Jace just seems like it would make blue absurdly strong at the stage it's already ok at and do nothing to address its weaknesses.

They're not unbanning Jace even if its practically the only viable unban target left. There's the simple fact that even if its mediocre, an unbanned Jace is a $200 card.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
They're not unbanning Jace even if its practically the only viable unban target left. There's the simple fact that even if its mediocre, an unbanned Jace is a $200 card.

Unbanning Jace without another major reprint would be lunacy.

y2dvd

White seems pretty good so far as far as limited goes. Lots of blinking shenanigans. I tend to draft UW fliers anyways.

And sigh, I guess I'll get the WiiU version of Zelda. Don't really game much anymore but the hype sounds real.

Wulfric

What's on my shopping list?

Jund, The Deck
4x Tarmogoyf
4x Liliana of the Veil
4x Verdant Catacombs

The deck went from outrageously expensive to... regular expensive. You couldn't ask for a better setlist in nearly every color except blue. Ancestral Visions is a huge miss. So is Chalice to a lesser extent.

Angry Grimace

The other problem is the idea that unbanning Jace, the Mind Sculptor would lead to something that we traditionally think of as blue control coming back. What you would actually get is:

Lands

4 x Verdant Catacombs
1 x Blooming Marsh
4 x Polluted Delta
2 x Watery Grave
3 x Creeping Tar Pit
2 x Darkslick Shores
1 x Breeding Pool
1 x Overgrown Tomb
2 x Swamp
1 x Forest
1 x Island
1 x Misty Rainforest

Creatures

4 x Tarmogoyf
4 x Snapcaster Mage
4 x Dark Confidant
1 x Vendilion Clique
2 x Tasigur, the Golden Fang

Planeswalkers

4x Liliana of the Veil
3x Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Spells

1 x Remand
4 x Fatal Push
3 x Inquisition of Kozilek
3 x Thoughtseize
3 x Abrupt Decay
1 x Maelstrom Pulse

e.g. a $3000 Sultai deck that looks like Jund with a ridiculous top-end that prevents your opponent from doing anything.

Santiako

The other problem is the idea that unbanning Jace, the Mind Sculptor would lead to something that we traditionally think of as blue control coming back. What you would actually get is:

Lands

4 x Verdant Catacombs
1 x Blooming Marsh
4 x Polluted Delta
2 x Watery Grave
3 x Creeping Tar Pit
2 x Darkslick Shores
1 x Breeding Pool
1 x Overgrown Tomb
2 x Swamp
1 x Forest
1 x Island
1 x Misty Rainforest

Creatures

4 x Tarmogoyf
4 x Snapcaster Mage
4 x Dark Confidant
1 x Vendilion Clique
2 x Tasigur, the Golden Fang

Planeswalkers

4x Liliana of the Veil
3x Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Spells

1 x Remand
4 x Fatal Push
3 x Inquisition of Kozilek
3 x Thoughtseize
3 x Abrupt Decay
1 x Maelstrom Pulse

e.g. a $3000 Sultai deck that looks like Jund with a ridiculous top-end that prevents your opponent from doing anything.

Oh man, current Jund that can just lock you out of the game after turn 5 or 6 sounds just disgusting.

Angry Grimace

The other deck that wants Jace, the Mind Sculptor is Lantern Control (although I don't think it plays enough or any blue to swing it, but Jace almost instantly wins you the game).

hermit7

What's on my shopping list?

Jund, The Deck
4x Tarmogoyf
4x Liliana of the Veil
4x Verdant Catacombs

The deck went from outrageously expensive to... regular expensive. You couldn't ask for a better setlist in nearly every color except blue. Ancestral Visions is a huge miss. So is Chalice to a lesser extent.

I need these too, but only 3 Liliana.

What do edh players do if they want to get into more modern? I have burn with fetches but have a fair number of edh decks that I pulled them for (and not playing modern much). Do you only get one playset so the deck is always done and built?

Santiako

I need these too, but only 3 Liliana.

What do edh players do if they want to get into more modern? I have burn with fetches but have a fair number of edh decks that I pulled them for (and not playing modern much). Do you only get one playset so the deck is always done and built?

I keep my fetches in my modern deck and proxies of them in the edh decks.

Jace isn't getting unbanned because as was pointed out, Blue gets better in the late game. The issue with Blue right now is that getting to that late game. When you've got 2-3 Visions on suspend, Cryptic, Snap, etc, you've got it good. Not so much when you kept a hand of Fatal Push, Serum Visions, Ancestral Vision, Snapcaster, and 3 lands against Tron, where they go "Turn 3 Karn? And starting nuking your hand"

What Blue needs is some way to stall in the early game/draw the right answers. I know everyone here thinks Preordain is off the table, but if Serum Visions isn't good enough, and Preordain is too good, what is just right? Would something like "Scry 1, Draw 1, Scry 1" be too strong?

Angry Grimace

I like how people figured out the EV of MM2017 with wacky math. Every time I see one of these, I have to laugh at the assumption that bulk has literally any value at all.

The average common is worth 0, the average uncommon is worth 0 and most "dollar rares" are worth 0.

OnPoint

You guys think Exalted might be a mechanic in Amonkhet and we might see NH there? It would fit the potential Shard theme.

Angry Grimace

I would be less surprised to see Birds of Paradise in standard again.

Angry Grimace

I doubt it would be a Masterpiece either. Why would a Noble Hierarch be hanging around Amonkhet?

Like, its too bad Hierarch isn't in the set, but I don't consider Hierarch's price point anywhere near as egregious as Mishra's Bauble's price-point. Hierarch is a pushed, powerful card; Bauble is a dumb cantrip.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";231437840]I wanna see Deathrite Shaman in amonkhet as a guy that makes mummies.[/QUOTE]

Because what Black/Green needs right now is a 1-mana planeswalker.

OnPoint

I doubt it would be a Masterpiece either. Why would a Noble Hierarch be hanging around Amonkhet?

Like, its too bad Hierarch isn't in the set, but I don't consider Hierarch's price point anywhere near as egregious as Mishra's Bauble's price-point. Hierarch is a pushed, powerful card; Bauble is a dumb cantrip.

Because what Black/Green needs right now is a 1-mana planeswalker.

Because if there are Shards it accounts for the colors. And if a Hierarch is a "chief priest", why wouldn't they be flavorful enough? There are Gods to be worshiped, no? One may even be Bant colored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom