• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
On first blush I feel like this "at least three cards with the mechanic" rule is pretty dumb, but it does explain a lot of the decisions in this set -- I think almost every significant absence is covered by either the three-cards-per-mechanic rule, overlap with Kaladesh Inventions, or a squeeze for space with a higher priority reprint. Since this set came out pretty good I guess it's forgivable, but I think they're still gonna have to up their reprint outlets a bit if this is how it's gonna work.

Yeah, I'm just guessing it's more Electromancer/Wee Dragonauts/etc. type shit than tribal proper.

Over/Under on Guttersnipe being in the deck is 2.5.

bigkrev

Everyone should listen to today's Drive to Work about Duel Masters, if for no other reason to hear Maro pronounce "Manga" as "Main-geh" about 10 times in a 30 second span

Lucario

About to start a whole-box aether revolt sealed tournament.

...anything to look out for? I figure I'm pretty much guaranteed to get 5+ copies of some commons, and I assume there's something broken to do with Improvise.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
About to start a whole-box aether revolt sealed tournament.

...anything to look out for? I figure I'm pretty much guaranteed to get 5+ copies of some commons, and I assume there's something broken to do with Improvise.
What's the pack distribution? 24 AER/12 KLD?

Card Boy

Banned
Good thing about Commander Anthology is i own none of the decks! I got the blue and white 2014 decks and all the 2015 decks except for Plunder the Graves (which is in Anthology) and none of the 2013 or 2011 decks.

I am going to have so many Elf cards now to do a Elf Tribal. I'm also starting to build quite afew Snake cards.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Commander Anthology seems like its gonna be a rip off at MSRP and over printed, just like Planechase.

y2dvd

Trying to draft MM17 through sim. Computer keeps passing me fetches and Liliana. That just ain't happening with the foil card also being passed lol.

Rafy

Trying to draft MM17 through sim. Computer keeps passing me fetches and Liliana. That just ain't happening with the foil card also being passed lol.

Had the exact same issue on Draftsim. It also does not account for 3 or more color decks...

Santiako

Man, I've tuned twice today to the GP Barcelona stream and it's been always Mardu mirrors. Thankfully scg stream is back with modern.

Santiako

GP New Jersey now on stream, with Marshall and Huey. First match on camera, turn 4 combo, opp has a response, turn 5 combo again for the win. It's so getting banned on monday.

Wulfric

JC Tao apparently has the wrong Ajani in his deck. He wrote down Valiant Protector when he's using Unyielding. :O

Poor guy, they're the same CMC too, I can imagine them easily being mixed up.

Edit: Game Loss on feature match D:

Santiako

JC Tao apparently has the wrong Ajani in his deck. :O

Poor guy, they're the same CMC too, I can imagine them easily being mixed up.

Edit: Game Loss on feature match D:

It was the other guy, JC Tao won. But yeah, the game loss on camera was unfortunate.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";231882966]Well, they used Wesley Burt again to maintain art consistency in the cycle.[/QUOTE]

Burt's a good artist.

Ashodin

YxslDLY.gif

Blade of Artifice 2.0.

I've been messing with additions and subtractions for the past two weeks, but with the current meta I feel this setup is the best one to sit on.

I've been playing with it and goldfishing up some great scenarios - a LOT of the cards synergize with each other, and it's hard to find a playthrough where things don't just "click".

The biggest addition to the deck so far is Metallic Mimic (calling Artificer). It triggers the Inventor's Goggles and turns a 2/1 into a 3/3 on turn 2, allowing any future Artificers to be pumped the later the game goes.

Worth noting that it turns Mimic into a Heart of Kiran crewer. There's a minor energy subtheme, with Aether Hubs and Harnessed Lightning. It's not uncommon to have a stockpile setup where you can blast a high priority target out of the water, or continue generating value hits with Aethersphere Harvester for lifegain.

Thalia used to be in the main, but Pia has really outshined her by giving you an artifact when she enters, being an Artificer, and her abilities are relevant (making unblockables, etc).

A big surprise hit to me has been Skeleton Key - it becomes Inventor's Goggles 5 and 6, but the ability on Heart of Kiran or Aethersphere Harvester (or Pia's token!) makes Smuggler's Copter re-appear much to the bemoans of the opponent.

I'm really excited to try out this deck when I get the pieces together (I still need two more Pia Nalaar) and see how great it is in paper practice.

bigkrev

Due to Chalice?

Chalice, the fact that people are playing more Path and Fatal Push as opposed to Bolt for removal (which kill your Paladin when he has 6 shields), and that Death's Shadow Zoo is a terrible matchup because they have so much hand disruption, and can easily kill you if you need a few turns to find a Sram/Paladin.

I took my try at the deck apart because I don't think it can actually compete right now

They are more likely to return to Alara than make a 3-color themed set for a new plane

Combined with the shard theme in Modern Masters 2017, it seems pretty unlikely that Amonkhet will be a shard set. Instead, the other major possibility, an enemy color theme, seems much more likely now.

While I'm inclined to agree in part, there's also the fact that MaRo likes to play coy with near future sets. He said in March of last year that Madness was unlikely to be in a future set, and then SoI had Madness revealed.

The other issue is that Wizard's solution to "How do we make Tamiyo not likely to see play in Standard" was by making her Bant, and I doubt they'd put Bolas(Who has to be Grixis) into a set where the mechanics don't encourage Shards. Considering Wizards R&D didn't test for 4 color in BFZ Testing but Bolas is going to be the face of Hour of Destruction, they have to have built an environment themselves that they can justify going Grixis in.

Also, MM2017 didn't have a Shard theme. It's Ally Colored focused on the duos, but there is a Shard subtheme. I think Stoddard said they're expecting something like "On average, 1 person in a pod will draft a Shard, and one person every 2 drafts with draft either a Wedge or an enemy pair".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
While I'm inclined to agree in part, there's also the fact that MaRo likes to play coy with near future sets. He said in March of last year that Madness was unlikely to be in a future set, and then SoI had Madness revealed.

The other issue is that Wizard's solution to "How do we make Tamiyo not likely to see play in Standard" was by making her Bant, and I doubt they'd put Bolas(Who has to be Grixis) into a set where the mechanics don't encourage Shards. Considering Wizards R&D didn't test for 4 color in BFZ Testing but Bolas is going to be the face of Hour of Destruction, they have to have built an environment themselves that they can justify going Grixis in.

Also, MM2017 didn't have a Shard theme. It's Ally Colored focused on the duos, but there is a Shard subtheme. I think Stoddard said they're expecting something like "On average, 1 person in a pod will draft a Shard, and one person every 2 drafts with draft either a Wedge or an enemy pair".
More like everyone drafts 4 color.

bigkrev

GP Barcelona Top 8- 4 Mardu Balista, 4 Copycat

We are getting bannings tomorrow, but I don't know what you ban to balance the format. In a perfect world, you would ban only commons and uncommons- Felidar Guardian to kill Sahili, Winding Constrictor to hurt the G/B deck (in the same way they banned Reflector Mage to preemptivly hurt UW), but there is nothing you can ban out of Mardu that really hurts it. Thrabin Inspector? Looks like you need to ban either Gideon or Walking Ballista, and I don't think they want to ban another double digit rare card.

I'm starting to wonder if the drop in attendance in standard that they attributed to the new Standard rotation was actually just because Standard has been bad for a while, and that maybe they should revisit faster rotations (

Was it a Zigguraut deck?

Yep, and Pillar of the Paruns and Mana Confluence and Reflecting Pool for 16 5-color lands, plus Noble Hierarch for fixing, and allowing for T1 Noble, T2 Mantis Rider (hit for 4) T3 Falkenrath Aristocart (hit for 7), T4 Siege Rhino makes it kind of nutty.

I expect they'll just ban Felidar Guardian, and hope that the decks held down by the combo will better be able to counter Vehicles and Snek. I don't think they'll ban Winding Constrictor, if only because conceptually you just have to use kill spells on the creatures. If they want to use a heavier hand, then they'll ban Gideon, because we know there's another one coming and it's a versatile and resistant card.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
GP Barcelona Top 8- 4 Mardu Balista, 4 Copycat

We are getting bannings tomorrow, but I don't know what you ban to balance the format. In a perfect world, you would ban only commons and uncommons- Felidar Guardian to kill Sahili, Winding Constrictor to hurt the G/B deck (in the same way they banned Reflector Mage to preemptivly hurt UW), but there is nothing you can ban out of Mardu that really hurts it. Thrabin Inspector? Looks like you need to ban either Gideon or Walking Ballista, and I don't think they want to ban another double digit rare card.

I'm starting to wonder if the drop in attendance in standard that they attributed to the new Standard rotation was actually just because Standard has been bad for a while, and that maybe they should revisit faster rotations (

Yep, and Pillar of the Paruns and Mana Confluence and Reflecting Pool for 16 5-color lands, plus Noble Hierarch for fixing, and allowing for T1 Noble, T2 Mantis Rider (hit for 4) T3 Falkenrath Aristocart (hit for 7), T4 Siege Rhino makes it kind of nutty.

No they need to be willing to ban rares and especially mythics. Gideon should have been gone long ago. No half measures. No waiting for CoCo to rotate out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom