• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I understand that they can't throughly test every card with every card, but seriously there should be a list of effects that get triple scrutiny:
-Any kind of cost reduction effect
-Any kind of effect that places permanents directly on the battlefield
-Anything that could be a piece of an infinite loop if coupled with one other specific effect

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I still think we might need to wait and see if the combo really is all that busted. Admittedly people said that about Eldrazi after BfZ and that really was that busted. But there's gonna be some egg on some faces if this combo isn't actually all that.

My anger at Sam Stoddard is mostly that he's the face of Development, and he'll do anything to try and paint a positive picture even when it's clearly wrong. See his own poll on Twitter, where the format average was a 3 or 4 but he acted like most think standard is fine right now.

Honestly, I'm still amazed that Emerge hasn't been broken somehow. It screams "This is broken", but literally nothing has actually worked out for it. I keep thinking there's something to be done there with Evoke/Convoke

I still think we might need to wait and see if the combo really is all that busted. Admittedly people said that about Eldrazi after BfZ and that really was that busted. But there's gonna be some egg on some faces if this combo isn't actually all that.

For a while, Jeskai Ascendancy seemed unbeatable in both Standard and Modern, and we know how that turned out.

Yeef

In sealed today, a guy opened a Steel Overseer and an Animation Module which seems nuts. You could go turn 1 Module, Turn 2 Overseer, never play another nonland card and win handily.

Ashodin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv05ZHvralg

q83fqwi.png

Talking about Aether Revolt and the dreaded combo.

kirblar

My anger at Sam Stoddard is mostly that he's the face of Development, and he'll do anything to try and paint a positive picture even when it's clearly wrong. See his own poll on Twitter, where the format average was a 3 or 4 but he acted like most think standard is fine right now.

Honestly, I'm still amazed that Emerge hasn't been broken somehow. It screams "This is broken", but literally nothing has actually worked out for it. I keep thinking there's something to be done there with Evoke/Convoke
It's because it's self-limiting. We actually saw this mechanic before in Kampala block and nothing bad happened there either.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Except even assuming it's not busted there's nothing to hate Turn 4 Emrakul out of the format.

The only thing hating that out of the format is an even more busted deck.

Time for one of my random ideas again.

I think an interesting direction for red to go in is for it to have rare enchantments that consistently punish players for doing something, but opponents can get rid of it with a one time cost that heavily punishes that something. This would in theory be a once a block thing.

Grave Inferno - 1R
Enchantment
Whenever one or more cards are put into a graveyard, Grave Inferno deals 1 damage to that player for each card type in his or her graveyard.
0: Destroy Grave Inferno. Exile your hand, then draw that many cards and exile your graveyard. For each card type among the cards exiled this way, Grave Inferno deals 2 damage to you. Any player may activate this ability.

It's because it's self-limiting. We actually saw this mechanic before in Kampala block and nothing bad happened there either.

Yeah, pretty much the most obvious line of delineation between fair cost-reducing mechanics (convoke, emerge) and unfair ones (untap-x-lands mechanic, tinker, affinity) is that the former involve you trading something 1-for-1 for the cost reduction while the latter let you repeat or scale the effect in a disproportionate way.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Servocrats is going to be a fun BW deck.
I haven't come up with a version that's good at all yet.

Probably because I've switched over to trying too hard to make Distended Mindbender work.

Ashodin

I've been goldfishing the list and I feel like 4 Metallic Mimic might be too many - you can easily get one out and it does nothing. I think going all in on the sacrifice servos to power stuff instead of trying to go anthems might be the thing, or you just go all in on anthems.

cheerios vs UB summonings my opponents hand was exactly essence extraction, murder, spell shrivel, disallow and he had to the land enough mana to play all of them to counter my marvel activation as well as paradoxical outcome and kill 2 of my guys.

Won game 3 after siding in 2 negates 2 dispels and a disallow. I'm currently experimenting with Baral in the main to make paradoxical oucome cheaper as well as 2 unsubstantiate which I'm unsure about. Metallic Rebuke becomes effectively a mana leak off a single artifact and go down as low as 1 mana mana leak, pretty good. I'd play Whir of Invention but Aetherflux Reservoir and 0 mana artifacts are the only feasible targets and even looking for all artifacts available there just aren't that many good artifacts on their own.

duxstar

I consider myself a competent player, and i dont think there has ever been a set of cards that made me think standard is doomed until this combo.

I built a deck with 4 thought knot seers, 4 warping wails, 4 Thalia Heretic Cathars, 4 Eldrazi Displacers in the main, along with 4 Stasis Snares, then in the sideboard had 4 authority of the council and still lost a game.

That's 20 cards in the main that stop the combo , along with 4 out of the sideboard.

They just countered everything, killed what they didn't played saheeli on turn 5 with backup negate , then turn 6 did the combo with backup counter magic.

Seriously wizards what the fuck

Angry Grimace

I don't think Jeskai Ascendancy is a very good comparison. That wasn't a 2 card combo.

Also, I just played a guy who was playing Cat Lady and got angry he drew all lands and called me a "noob." I must have blacklisted his draws somehow (what I actually did was play a bunch of discard so that he had nothing but lands in his hand).

Angry Grimace

Well, so far today and yesterday I played 10 matches of beta.

7 of them were Saheeli Rai decks. I started mainboarding Lost Legacy just to fuck with people.

Threw together a random Saheeli Twin by taking stock UW flash cutting all the avacyns and some other stuff for 4 of each piece and after winning quit. Deck is scum and only reaffirms my belief in the twin ban, stay banned for good.
is it funny if I say that deck is more an equipment deck than mine by a factor of 1?

a factor of 1 more would be either identical or double, if you mean I have 8 to your 7 then that's more by a total of 1

Is the first SCG with Aether Revolt next weekend? Looking forward to Patrick and Cedric discussing Standard and seeing what shakes out of all this madness :)

Following weekend.

Prerelease is the 14th actual release is the next Friday.

Oh, that's right. Damn. Oh well... A part of me hopes it is absolutely as bad as everyone is saying. For at least one tournament, I find it fun to have bonkers combo decks and early turn kills. Of course, it gets stale rather quickly :)

Aetherworks Marvel was one thing in the beta, people build it wrong but Crazy Cat Lady just slots right into existing decks and neither combo piece is all that bad in them.

Pick your poison
  • die to gideon, smug copter, spell queller, ref mage
  • die to Saheeli Twin
cause those go into the same deck and you need a heck of a draw to beat both

I hope PT is going to be a complete trainwreck because this is no game of skill.

Ashodin

I feel like the PT might not be the best indicator of standard any more because the teams that go will try to out meta each other, resulting in wildly different decks that never are meant for a meta outside the PT. See Shota Yasooka saying "don't play my deck, I made it just for the PT."

So you'll get this weird diverse meta which is not representative of the game and WotC will see that and think Ohhhhh ok everything is fine

I feel like the PT might not be the best indicator of standard any more because the teams that go will try to out meta each other, resulting in wildly different decks that never are meant for a meta outside the PT. See Shota Yasooka saying "don't play my deck, I made it just for the PT."

So you'll get this weird diverse meta which is not representative of the game and WotC will see that and think Ohhhhh ok everything is fine

eh, people still ended up bringing bad Aetherworks Marvel decks en masse to the last PT. Gut reaction is that Saheeli makes one of the best decks in the format even better and is resilient to hate so far.
Lost Legacy is not an easy card to splash and if it becomes prolific you can always just side out part or all of the combo and still have UW flash proper.

Santiako

GP Lousville Top 8 is stacked!

Brian Braun-Duin, Reid Duke, Craig Wescoe, Michael Majors, Andrew Sullano, Cody Napier, Nate Barton and Charles Hinkle

But no streaming so they could show the sunday super series <.<

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

I dunno. Marvel was everywhere at the PT then it died and people where like lol PT, then it came back and ate UW Flash's lunch.

duxstar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";227900569]Unlicenced Disintegration killing both Saheeli and the cat is pretty good.[/QUOTE]

How often do you have 2 of them? As soon as they think you have removal to kill the cat they just pass the turn with open negate/glimmer of genius mana up, or spell queller, and now they just wait for you to tap out from a kill spell.

It's a CONTROL deck that wants you to do nothing.

4x Saheeli
4x felidar cat
4x Torrential gearhulk
4x Glimmer of Genius
4x Harnessed Lightning
4x Void Shatter

Fill the deck out how you like from there
4x anticipate
4x Disallow
2x radiant flames
3x negate

Is how I would build it right now but I have no intention of ever building the deck.

How often do you have 2 of them? As soon as they think you have removal to kill the cat they just pass the turn with open negate/glimmer of genius mana up, or spell queller, and now they just wait for you to tap out from a kill spell.

It's a CONTROL deck that wants you to do nothing.

I think the tempo deck way stronger

4 thraben inspector
4 selfless spirit
4 reflector mage
4 spell queller
4 felidar guardian

4 Smug Copter

3 Stasis Snare

4 Saheeli Rai
4 Gideon

from my experience it eats the control version for breakfast as well.

Someone on r/magic is trying to convince me standard has better answers to Saheeli twin than modern had to twin.

Jhriad

What's your reasoning or is it just a gut feeling? Looking at the Pro Tour Kaladesh and the current Standard Metagame breakdowns via MTGGoldfish and they seem to show a number of parallels for the most commonly played archetypes even months later. Yes, given the smaller field it'll be warped by meta calls but it's hardly been entirely unrepresentative of Standard going forward. Also Shota playing a blue based control list is a bit like using Craig Wescoe and White based lists. That's more a mix of preferred play style and deck construction bent around that play style while keeping in mind the assumed meta, isn't it?

Ashodin

eh, people still ended up bringing bad Aetherworks Marvel decks en masse to the last PT. Gut reaction is that Saheeli makes one of the best decks in the format even better and is resilient to hate so far.
Lost Legacy is not an easy card to splash and if it becomes prolific you can always just side out part or all of the combo and still have UW flash proper.
On camera though. They'll make it seem like everything is &#128076; &#128076; &#128076; &#128076; &#128076; &#128076;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom