• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

"Print to Demand" requires demand. There's no demand.

I know some MTG Finance folks on Twitter have been cracking boxes/cases but the volume has been moderate so far. The print to demand on Conspiracy is a slower turnaround than say, Commander decks, since they have to wait for enough demand to build up and the appeal is more limited. Even if more stores/financiers start cracking product it'll be a slow burn. Boxes are around an EV of $88 now so it's really only profitable if prices move a little more or if you're able to get product for near the cost to retail. One thing to note, the floor on the EV currently is fairly high at just under $60 which is reasonable.

Wow, that's a lot of counter spells from Jim Davis.

EDIT: Confirm Suspicions went off!

EDIT: Torrential Gearhulk -> Confirm Suspicions, without even breaking any of the clues. Then concede.

OnPoint

Yeah, and the 4C decks are "Four-Colour Saheeli". Alas. Maybe future Opens will have a diff name. I suppose it is only week one.

Nah they get weird about names sometimes. I remember them pushing "Jeskai Black" real hard, despite Wizards official coverage using other names.I do like that they never bent to them calling Affinity "Robots" though. Fuck that.

Santiako

Wow, that's a lot of counter spells from Jim Davis.

EDIT: Confirm Suspicions went off!

EDIT: Torrential Gearhulk -> Confirm Suspicions, without even breaking any of the clues. Then concede.

His opponent was on a mull to 4, against a counters + removal deck that's real harsh.

How do you screw up that game , Jesus Christ, I'm so done with terrible players

Rudy is known for using a face pace of play to throw his opponents off. This time, he made hasty decisions and it cost him. A lot. Pressuring someone with fast play when they have very few outs left to them doesn't work. They're already under pressure from the impending loss. Jim's deck just punished him the most it could.

Firemind

Rudy is known for using a face pace of play to throw his opponents off. This time, he made hasty decisions and it cost him. A lot. Pressuring someone with fast play when they have very few outs left to them doesn't work. They're already under pressure from the impending loss. Jim's deck just punished him the most it could.
What? It's not like Magic has a clock like chess does.

What? It's not like Magic has a clock like chess does.

No, but at FNM through SCG Open levels of play, you can often get your opponent to play at the same pace as you by making hurried decisions and actions. If you're at least slightly better at it than the average player, you can force mistakes from opponents by inducing them to play at a pace they're not comfortable with. I've seen it at my LGS a lot and you can see it on the SCG Tour a occasionally.

So how is Copy Cat? I'm not following the stream.

It's instant win when the combo is assembled, and still pretty good when it isn't. A lot of its losses today seem to be misplays against aggro decks, since they often put down Saheeli on turn 3 and have it get destroyed by attacking creatures.

Not to mention it's control decks with limited slots going into a new meta blind.

I almost wish the bans didn't happen so you'd see the true menace the combo was in the UW tempo shell.

Ashodin

It's instant win when the combo is assembled, and still pretty good when it isn't. A lot of its losses today seem to be misplays against aggro decks, since they often put down Saheeli on turn 3 and have it get destroyed by attacking creatures.

I knew it. Super low to the ground kills the deck, which my deck is poised to exploit.

UB Control I've been working on today. Just keeping it as streamlined as possible for now.

sdfsdfgfswo.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I knew it. Super low to the ground kills the deck, which my deck is poised to exploit.
Super low to the ground isn't terribly good in general though. You can win against Cat but it's not like the percentages are super high especially post board.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The judge at my store kept complaining about how much Tezzeret sucks but I personally find the card really fun. His ultimate looks bad on paper but when you build a deck around him it's actually very good and it's pretty easy to actually get.

Supast4r

Was a consensus ever reached on whether we believe they thought Copy Cat was okay to print, or whether they just flat out didn't notice it? I still can't figure out which is worse.
It's my belief that it was intentional but they will deny the shit out of it.

No way. Flicker creatures have always been safe (Glimmerpoint Stag, Flickerwisp) as long as there aren't ways to put them out at instant speed. The mistake they made was in having the flicker happen immediately instead of at end step; they did this almost certainly for Limited so that the cat could make the Revolt creatures retrigger themselves. I'm guessing nobody even thought to test it with everything else in standard.

Santiako

The upside of the combo being in standard is that Cedric and Psulli are having a ton of fun commenting it. It's been hilarious so far.

I don't think I can watch scg anymore , the misplays by all these players makes me want to cry

How do you screw up that game , Jesus Christ, I'm so done with terrible players

Don't mean to be super negative nor direct this entirely at you, but I feel like your stance on the SCG players is really unfair.

Are the SCG players the absolute best in the world every turn of every game? Of course not. They are players. Playing. "You can't watch" opinions are absurdly dismissive. Do mistakes bother you? Sure. That's reasonable. However, unless you are on that circuit, your dismissive opinion bothers me.

I'm glad you are so good at the game that you can have knowledge of both players' hands and boards and, from your chair, know the perfect play.

I do understand your position, though. I hate watching a deck I like misplay and lose to a deck it should otherwise beat, but I don't and won't turn my back on the whole thing because a player didn't do what I wanted.

red13th

It's pretty hard to watch supposedly competent people doing very stupid things, I've stopped watching a few cube drafts because of picks I cringed at (especially Cheon and Marshall, yikes)

Angry Grimace

It's pretty hard to watch supposedly competent people doing very stupid things, I've stopped watching a few cube drafts because of picks I cringed at (especially Cheon and Marshall, yikes)
I mean, Marshall is really good at limited, he's just trying to keep it entertaining.

Marshall is really good at understanding limited, but he ignores his own advice a lot when he drafts for his VODs.

Owen Turtenwald and Ben Stark are the only people you should be watching for consistently high level play and commentary.

Ben Stark has the best commentary of any player I've ever seen in limited, and Owen talks like he's from the FGC which I love. "I AM PLAYING AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL AND YOUR MULLIGANS PLEASE ME"

Well, only three Copycat decks, I guess it isn't a problem!

For those actually thinking that, Copycat is extremely adaptable. You can plug that combo into any deck that runs those colors, so you can easily change the cards around it to handle the metagame. Plus, a lot of the players didn't play their decks very skillfully.

I was thinking of making a Winding Constrictor deck, but I was afraid everyone would think it was too simple/dumb, like my Red/White Human Aggro deck during Eldritch Moon.

I guess Copycat made it cool to be square.

Angry Grimace

Walking Ballista has looked mighty impressive all weekend.

It's fine in the right deck. Just don't expect to dump it on Turn 2 in every random deck the way Hangarback Walker could be played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom