• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

Amonkhet promo and stuff:
YNc9eGg.jpg
VDIfy9x.jpg
mkPe6DR.jpg
mW4klai.jpg
O4OQhl2.jpg
lObF0DE.jpg
nYOAgs5.jpg
fwi4u5q.jpg
scrRlDl.jpg

From the toyfair, stolen from reddit.

Santiako

Also, these boosters are the same we saw in the Atlazan leak, so this would confirm no Bolas until Hour of Devastation. That's going to disappoint a lot of people.

Also, these boosters are the same we saw in the Atlazan leak, so this would confirm no Bolas until Hour of Devastation. That's going to disappoint a lot of people.

If the gods are shard colored, then it makes sense that they wouldn't want two Grixis mythic rares in one set.

Wulfric

Oh dear, that is a lot of yellow. Maybe it looks better in person. I am excited to see another Liliana though; Amonkhet would be the best place for a reanimation planeswalker.

Hmm, it would be a shame if someone leaked the player's guide soon...

Santiako

Lantern on camera. Boo hiss
Oh dear, that is a lot of yellow. Maybe it looks better in person. I am excited to see another Liliana though; Amonkhet would be the best place for a reanimation planeswalker.

Hmm, it would be a shame if someone leaked the player's guide soon...

This is not a leak, they are showing them publicly in the Hasbro Toy Fair. I'd love to see a leak of the guide though :9

lupin23rd

Damn was there really that much Tron at GP Vancouver?

Went 0-4 drop with burn today and didn't see any Tron, would have been so happy to play against it :(

Wulfric

Lantern on camera. Boo hiss

This is not a leak, they are showing them publicly in the Hasbro Toy Fair. I'd love to see a leak of the guide though :9

Lol, it would be almost as bad as the New Phyrexia leak.

If anyone wants HD card images from AER (Ashodin?), those are available here. They are from the survey that WotC did a while back. I believe this is the largest size artwork we have for most of these cards.

Ashodin

man gideon's new armor is awesome. It's almost plate mail. He's taken the "shirtless" thing to heart and put more clothes on :p

Damn was there really that much Tron at GP Vancouver?

Went 0-4 drop with burn today and didn't see any Tron, would have been so happy to play against it :(
The first round had lots, but I've seen progressively less.

My rounds have been GB Tron, Abzan, Turbofog, Lantern, and Jund.

BGx is the source of my draw and my loss so far. Turns out always remember to check your board count, because I did my post-board games with 65 in the main.

Bant Eldrazi though.. ayayaua

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Why would you play Eldrazi Tron when G/x Tron is so much more consistent? Also of course there is a lot of Tron. Infect, Suicide Zoo and Suicide Bloo all got nerfed, some of the deck's worst matchups. Things are still reaching equilibrium.

The best thing though is watching Grixis Control chain K Commands, Surgicals and Fulminators on a Tron opponent. It feels good.

If they ban anything from Tron itll probably Stirrings if they dont care about hitting Bant Eldrazi.

Bandini

Why would you play Eldrazi Tron when G/x Tron is so much more consistent?

You get to use Chalice of the Void and it's a bit more resilient against hate like Blood Moon or land destruction. Also just a fun deck, Endbringer/Walking Ballista + Basilisk Collar is the best

Well, ended up dropping the event in round 8. Went 4-3-1.

Losses were to Jund, Bant Eldrazi, and Grixis Control. Turns out staying fed is pretty damn important, as I was on Tilt from lack of food for 3 straight rounds. Jund I beat Game 1, Game 2 I lost for the aforementioned "Accident ally played 65 Cards", and Game 3 I got stuck on 2 Lands, no creatures, and starring down an impending Liliana The Last Hope Ultimate.

Bant Eldrazi I lost game 1, Won Game 2(But recieved a Game Rule Violation for failing to maintain Board State because my opponent didn't read big Thalia), then got another GRV in Game 3 when I let his Dismember resolve for one mana when I had a Thalia in Play.

Grixis is just.. ugh. I love the deck, I loved the guy playing it(Dude is super cool), but I just was drawing the complete wrong half of my deck. Need a Scooze and have 4 in the main board game 2? Counter each. Need any creature for Worship to not be a brick? Nope, Draw 12 land in a row.

All in all, I enjoyed it, but ugh, I need to remember to pack snacks.

traveler

Not Wario
First gp, first time playing modern- 7-2 atm. It'll be a haul to stay in it tomorrow, but I've got a shot. Bgx decks are the only thing I fear really. Ad nauseam has largely been as well positioned as I expected when I picked it.

castlegar

First gp, first time playing modern- 7-2 atm. It'll be a haul to stay in it tomorrow, but I've got a shot. Bgx decks are the only thing I fear really. Ad nauseam has largely been as well positioned as I expected when I picked it.

Having a similar experience, minus I'm on Jund. This (GP Van) is my first real modern tournament, after slowly putting the pieces of the deck together over the past few years.

Finished day one at 7-2, losing to Esper Control and Grixis. Luckily, I haven't encountered Tron, and I've beaten Eldrazi, R/W Prison, Lantern Control, Valakut, and some sort of white weenies deck, after my two byes.

I'm not super versed in the modern meta and how some of these decks work, but thankfully Jund's whole discard/threat/removal game has been straightforward enough to go against mostly unknown (to me) decks.

Tunoku

I just looked at the Dredge list and I realized that I actually own some of these cards. It would probably cost me another 150€ to finish the deck(Life from the Loam, Bloodghast, Thoughtseize, Abrupt Decay are all cards I don't have). Really considering it. Playing the Amalgam decks in Standard made me get really excited about graveyard decks and it seems like a fun, albeit antisocial, deck to figure out.

Supast4r

I tied Abzan Round 2, thanks to the little Engine that could(Seagate Wreckage is nuts in grinding) currently 2-0-1

Tron has no bad matchups now that it's finally not just GR. Each different color pair just covers another weakness, and the core is the same.

Eldrazi Tron is going to get something banned, believe me. 16 Conditional Sol or better lands is beyond dumb.

Ummm yes it does. Tron loses to: Death shadow zoo, affinity, burn, infect, etc. Anything fast has a good game.

Ummm yes it does. Tron loses to: Death shadow zoo, affinity, burn, infect, etc. Anything fast has a good game.
Not really, the recent idea of adding Blessed Alliance, Fatal Push, Collective Brutality, etc depending upon your colors has given Tron a better Matchup. Not great, but being able to Collective Brutality Infect, killing their infect creature and removing a pump is underrated. Blessed Alliance is a godsend against half of those decks(2 Mana to gain 4 on a modal card is underrated af), and Affinity is the only one you can't Ugin to clear the board.

Tron has Affinity as a definitely bad Matchup, but otherwise? Most of it's bad matchups have been improved due to GR not being the default choice any more.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";230610190]BBD won the largest legacy tournament of all time. Dude is a cross format monster, only doesn't have a gp win in modern I think because he got second place to...

Deck people used to insist was garbage wins its second GP c:[/QUOTE]
To be fair, the deck is 50% unplayable(except in Lantern) cards. No one is rushing to go buy their Glint Nest Cranes, or their Shredders/Lanterns/Bells/Pyxi.

I mean, I love the deck, but from an outside view it looks like a pile of Draft chaff+Good cards :p

It is the closest deck that fits Sultai though, I mean, people laugh it off at first but then get milled out.

Turbo Turns vs Unburial Gifts in the GP stream. What a beauty.
Oh my.

I still think there's a few things that could be better in Modern(Cough Blue and White, Cough a better counter then Mana Leak for 2, Wizards to stop breaking the format every other set), but I'm very impressed with the format from both the stream and experience. I didn't play a single deck more then once yesterday, and despite my moaning about Tron, at least it's different.

Supast4r

Not really, the recent idea of adding Blessed Alliance, Fatal Push, Collective Brutality, etc depending upon your colors has given Tron a better Matchup. Not great, but being able to Collective Brutality Infect, killing their infect creature and removing a pump is underrated. Blessed Alliance is a godsend against half of those decks(2 Mana to gain 4 on a modal card is underrated af), and Affinity is the only one you can't Ugin to clear the board.

Tron has Affinity as a definitely bad Matchup, but otherwise? Most of it's bad matchups have been improved due to GR not being the default choice any more.

Have you been watching coverage? Tron has been getting beat by death's shadow. Hence why the deck has placed so well this weekend.

Supast4r

Also many pros have been saying that grixis reaminator is the best deck due to the kari zev + breaking/entering interaction.

Have you been watching coverage? Tron has been getting beat by death's shadow. Hence why the deck has placed so well this weekend.
Tron was everywhere around me Round 1 though, and my friends who were half the centre away were in similar positions. Tron was the deck to beat this weekend(As In I saw way more GQ in non D&T/Hatebears then usual), with my Grixis Control opponent had 4 Fullminator mages in his sideboard.

Tron having a gun pointed at it as "The Deck to beat", with a bunch of Modern players being prepared for it, does not mean that it is somehow immune from being called the best deck. Push kills every creature in Death Shadow Jund, and the fact that no one remembered to bring Graveyard hate doesn't help against Goyf.
Also many pros have been saying that grixis reaminator is the best deck due to the kari zev + breaking/entering interaction.
That's what I meant when I say I wish they would stop "breaking" modern every other set. Since BFZ, We've had Eldrazi Winter, Dredge Fall(Where Skred took down a GP because turns out 8 Maindeck anti-dredge cards is pretty good against Dredge), where decks lost to Dredge even after boarding in 4+ hosers and potentially Reanimator.

A deck doesn't have to be in the Top 8 to warp the format, because if the decks that are in the top 8 are the only good matchups against it, then it's warping enough. No one can play Wraths to kill BG's swarm because CopyCat can kill you the next turn and Mardu Vehicles DGAF.

bigkrev

I really like the Death's Shadow decks now using Tarfire and Traverse the Uvenwald in place of Gitaxian Probe to give the deck more versatility. The deck is different than it's previous all-out approach, and might even be a little better?

LOL Josh "I've played exactly 1 match with this deck before the tournament (where he is 13-1), but my team said the deck was insane, so I ran with it"

Tron was everywhere around me Round 1 though, and my friends who were half the centre away were in similar positions.

Remember that most Pros have between 1 and 3 byes- meaning they are only going to be playing X-0 players when they start, who have suruvived the early rounds

Santiako

I really like the Death's Shadow decks now using Tarfire and Traverse the Uvenwald in place of Gitaxian Probe to give the deck more versatility. The deck is different than it's previous all-out approach, and might even be a little better?

They've completely wrecked the field, GerryT and Josh Utter Leyton are already locked for top 8 and Sam Black and Matt Severa are live for it still.

bigkrev

8-Rack at 12-2?!?!
AND HE MANAGED TO GET 2 CARDS WITH A WRENCH MIND AGAINST AFFINITY?!?

AND HE CHOSE TO -DRAW- IN GAME 2 VS AFFINITY

red13th

supposedly yes.

I love the fact Eldrazi Tron exists, I hope they leave it be seriously. I love the concept of mono... brown? clear? (since eldrazi) decks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom