• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

An-Det

en_7srM4tmHyG.png

Fucking finally

en_ZJttl9Ht3G.png

n0K7fqEw4e_fetch.png

Enemy fetches too

Fuck yes, about time Damnation was reprinted, and at rate too. It's been too fucking long.

Lucario

At current SCG prices (already lowered to accommodate MM17 reprint drops, although naturally they'll dip more), fetches and damnation contribute $5.85 towards each pack.

Jesus.

Tunoku

I'll keep my OG Zendikar Goblin Guides, I just prefer the look of this goblin:

tumblr_ngz25iUDFo1t7m1kbo3_1280.jpg

This dude has no fucking idea where left or right are.

Joe Molotov

garbage set no value

We knew Guides were in. Let's just see if the value lasts beyond the initial burst of spoilers. Fetches + Guides + Damnation means we already have 7 rares with ~$40+ of value. How deep are they gonna go with this thing? I mean, I would love it if it was packed to the gills with value and reprinted out the ass from here to eternity, I'm just trying to keep my expectations in check.

Firemind

Will my Scalding Tarns lose value? I'd rather not sell them because that MM symbol is hideous. At least this is better than reprinting them in Standard.

Tunoku

The price is gonna stabilize and then rise again after a while. Unless they start reprinting them in every MM from now on. I only own 2 Tarns and 2 Arid Mesa, so I'm not too upset by this or anything.

Firemind

Yeah, I know. I'm gonna keep my Tiago Snapcasters as well cause he looks cooler.

Glad I got rid of my Guides, though I'm not glad I got rid of them for nickles and dimes.

bigkrev

The price is gonna stabilize and then rise again after a while. Unless they start reprinting them in every MM from now on. I only own 2 Tarns and 2 Arid Mesa, so I'm not too upset by this or anything.

You can take the ultra-cynical view and say that Wizards is trying to kill Modern, but are using this set and it's large print run and high MSRP as an opportunity to "cash out" on the format, and won't be doing MM again. I think last year made it clear that they need to reduce the amount of product they are making, after all.

Being upset by reprints is stupid, more fetches in circulation is better for everyone.

I get frustrated to no end by the type of people that complain about any and all reprints because they "take a loss". Yes, if it's large enough it can hurt shops but for individuals I can't stand the people that only buy cards to profit off them instead of to play with or at least collect them. Reasonable reprints are the only way to keep older formats alive.

Well look at that!

So them giving us ZEN fetches is pretty much an admission that the rest of the set is garbage, right?

That was certainly my reason for assuming they weren't happening, but it's not really plausible from a set design perspective. We've had Goblin Guide spoiled, we know Snapcaster is in. We can be almost certain Liliana is in. There's a list of plausible moderate-money cards with lots of demand (Linvala, Cavern, Ancestral Visions, Opal, Through the Breach, Craterhoof, etc.) of which we can assume at least half will show up.

I think we have to assume at this point that they increased the print run on this set in part to explicitly drop prices more aggressively on the cards reprinted in it. If they print this comparable to EMA we should see a significant hit on the included cards.

Also: man, anyone who actually gets one of those $170 ebay boxes without getting their order canceled is gonna be thrilled with themselves now.

Horizon Canopy is OUT based on Grull Guildgate and Izzet Guildgate numbers

I mean they have to keep something for people to be waiting for. Grove and Canopy are gonna hang around for MM 2019, heh.

(I do hope Cavern of Souls is legit included, though, that is a much clearer call.)

I mean at least Stoic is a rare and not a mythic.

Yeah, it's not really comparable. The original MMA (which people widely considered good at the time) had junk like Adarkar Valkyrie, Earwig Squad, and Molten Disaster at rare. Mythic is very different just because of the way the slots are limited and the number of desirable reprints that can really only practically be at mythic.

This is a good take, and probably a better explanation of what WotC mean when they say "increase availability" than anything they say themselves.

You can take the ultra-cynical view and say that Wizards is trying to kill Modern, but are using this set and it's large print run and high MSRP as an opportunity to "cash out" on the format, and won't be doing MM again.

Yeah, one could, but this is like #peaksalvation reasoning.

You can take the ultra-cynical view and say that Wizards is trying to kill Modern, but are using this set and it's large print run and high MSRP as an opportunity to "cash out" on the format, and won't be doing MM again. I think last year made it clear that they need to reduce the amount of product they are making, after all.

I mean, you could take that view but it would make no sense. High price reprint sets will only go away due to retailer pressure or the demand going away. Why would they stop printing something that doesn't require new cards being designed and that they can sell for higher unit prices (most likely at somewhat higher cost per unit but still) than normal boxes?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This will be the most demanded modern masters set and possibly the most demanded set in magic history possibly

We only know like 8 cards, and I would assume Tarmogoyf, Cryptic Command, Vendilion Clique and Dark Confidant are finally gone.

While those aren't super awesome cards these days in terms of value, there's only so many chase rares that exist.

OnPoint

Those may rotate out but if we have LotV in, plus Snapcaster, this is looking good. I just wanna see Blood Moon again. Maybe Ranger of Eos.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Those may rotate out but if we have LotV in, plus Snapcaster, this is looking good. I just wanna see Blood Moon again. Maybe Ranger of Eos.

I'd like to see Auriok Champion. Maybe without the Combat Bikini. No, I take that back, the Combat Bikini is hilarious.

There's a lot of options though, some of which have never seen a reprint in the last 5+ years:

Ensnaring Bridge
Oblivion Stone
Scapeshift
Blood Moon
Grafdigger's Cage
Cavern of Souls
Crucible of Worlds (does anyone play this?)
Voice of Resurgence
Infernal Tutor (lol)

Tunoku

My favourite is the promo, but I think I like MM3 better than ZEN

For me it's: ZEN>Judge>MM2017
But each artwork has has its own appeal, I can understand any one of them being someone's favorite.

I'm also glad that they kept the old fetch land artwork, I think they're all just fantastic. Especially compared to the shit they pulled with expedition fetches. Those look absolutely horrible.

ultron87

Oh, Guide is at Rare. That's rad.

Glad I ordered that box at 180 over weekend. Even though I fully intend to just draft it with folks so it isn't some huge value win.

OnPoint

For me it's: ZEN>Judge>MM2017
But each artwork has has its own appeal, I can understand any one of them being someone's favorite.

I'm also glad that they kept the old fetch land artwork, I think they're all just fantastic. Especially compared to the shit they pulled with expedition fetches. Those look absolutely horrible.
Maybe didn't have rights to the old art? Doesn't excuse the new art quality though, if you dislike it (I personally find it fine).

Angry Grimace

Oh, Guide is at Rare. That's rad.

Glad I ordered that box at 180 over weekend. Even though I fully intend to just draft it with folks so it isn't some huge value win.

I got mine at 172 with an eBay code.

Maybe didn't have rights to the old art? Doesn't excuse the new art quality though, if you dislike it (I personally find it fine).

There's nothing wrong with the art. The reason they commission new art is so they can use it on packaging and merchandise. That's why we already saw the art on this. And then last MM we had new art for Clique which was on all the GP playmats. (although in fairness, Etched Champion didn't have new art and was on the box itself, and I think like Karn was on the pack art)

red13th

Oooh Blood Moon, forgot about it. That would be a juicy reprint. Isn't it like $40 now? I think it would compensate for red having zero noteworthy mythics.
I'd put Thundermaw Hellkite and Through the Breach and have the value cards be rares like Guide and Blood Moon.
However, TTB has splice... idk if they would reprint it without an Arcane theme.

Angry Grimace

Through the Breach and Kiki-Jiki are basically the best they can do at Red to not make you want to throw something, and Kiki-Jiki still only sees play in goofball Chord brews.

Oooh Blood Moon, forgot about it. That would be a juicy reprint. Isn't it like $40 now? I think it would compensate for red having zero noteworthy mythics.
I'd put Thundermaw Hellkite and Through the Breach and have the value cards be rares like Guide and Blood Moon.
However, TTB has splice... idk if they would reprint it without an Arcane theme.

It's a Masters set, it doesn't matter at all if it has a weird one-off mechanic unless you're talking Inkmoth Nexus, and even then they might do it. They had splice onto Arcane in Modern Masters 1, and it wasn't a theme, really. There were 5 cards with splice in 3 colors. Bitterblossom and All is Dust were the only tribal cards I remember in MM2015, either.

Angry Grimace

Everything past a certain point (Masques?) is assigned copyright to WotC immediately, they can use any of it whenever they want with no cost.

I would be really interested if they actually gave Liliana new art since so many people complained about the original.

Angry Grimace

cards go down in value in response to reprints

everyone complains value isn't high enough in MM2017 because of reprints

3AQmK.gif

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
MM17 is designed with only the allied pairs in mind:

White-Blue Blink—Use creatures with enter-the-battlefield abilities and ways to reuse these abilities
Blue-Black Instant Control—Use lots of instants and counterspells to control the board
Black-Red Unearth—An aggressive deck that uses creatures with unearth to keep attacking
Red-Green Go Wide—Make tokens and use cards that make them all bigger
Green-White Populate—Take advantage of the populate mechanic from Return to Ravnica

Those sure are some...archetypes

Angry Grimace

Those sure are some...archetypes

Of those archetypes I assume

White-Blue Blink—Use creatures with enter-the-battlefield abilities and ways to reuse these abilities

Means Resto Angel and Flickerwisp or something and uh

Blue-Black Instant Control—Use lots of instants and counterspells to control the board

There would have to be a lot of removal (e.g. Doom Blade) for this to be a good archetype, but B/U is so rarely good outside of cube, I'm skeptical.

Black-Red Unearth—An aggressive deck that uses creatures with unearth to keep attacking

Hilariously, the only Unearth card I remember off the top of my head is Fatestitcher, which is blue.

Red-Green Go Wide—Make tokens and use cards that make them all bigger

This seems very Green-White, and it in fact, sounds just like the Green-White strategy does.

Green-White Populate—Take advantage of the populate mechanic from Return to Ravnica

Voice of Resurgence and comedy Emmara Tandris reprint

It's a Masters set, it doesn't matter at all if it has a weird one-off mechanic unless you're talking Inkmoth Nexus, and even then they might do it.

No Inkmoth in this one, though, since even though they canceled the WMCQs for 2017 the promo this year was supposed to be Inkmoth Nexus.

I would be really interested if they actually gave Liliana new art since so many people complained about the original.

I wish they'd print a version with the key art from Innistrad with Liliana on the throne. The previous promo didn't get a new picture so I can imagine they might do it this time.

Angry Grimace

I have no idea what the Mythics for this set will look like with a lot of the staple MM cards presumably gone. Other than Black presumably is Griselbrand and Liliana of the Veil. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they just put Avacyn in as a counterpart troll card.

Firemind

Hilariously, the only Unearth card I remember off the top of my head is Fatestitcher, which is blue.
There's the black Hill Giant with cycling and unearth. Combos well with Corpse Connoisseur and Grixis Slavedriver. And there's Shambling Remains, 4/3 for three with unearth. Man, Alara was aces. Want to do a flashback draft now.

OnPoint

I have no idea what the Mythics for this set will look like with a lot of the staple MM cards presumably gone. Other than Black presumably is Griselbrand and Liliana of the Veil. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they just put Avacyn in as a counterpart troll card.
At $25 is it really a troll card?

Jhriad

MM17 boxes up on massdrop for $180 shipped. When I checked like 30 minutes ago there were only about 200 sold, now it's almost 700. Probably going to pull the deal soon since I doubt they'll be able to cover the demand.

Just in case anyone is interested now, Mass Drop has boxes of MM2017 up for $169.99. No idea what shipping and/or fees would be but I figured I'd give everyone the head's up since I'm sure people are scrambling to grab boxes right now on eBay and TCGPlayer with the Fetch announcement.

EDIT: Heh, I just can't win today.

This Mass Drop didn't list a cap but has apparently blown past their expectations in a matter of hours and is now closed after 1725 orders.

bigkrev

Alright, i'm going to throw a wild prediction out there

At least one card that has been printed at Mythic in MM1 or 2 will be printed in this set at Rare

Joe Molotov

Golgari Grave Troll at Mythic. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom