• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
they gave Terminus for Joe Lossett to preview.

Does Yuuki Ichikawa get to preview Golgari Charm?

Sadly we don't get that option here. So grab em if they come up! I'm actually curious as to how this will draft.

Nothing like a mechanic that shouts, "HEY OPPONENT LOOK AT THIS AWESOME CARD I TOPDECKED JUST NOW AND GET TO CAST FOR SUPER CHEAP!" Designing cards to publicly reward you for topdecking them is just stupid game design. It's not so much that its a bad choice from a pure strategy perspective, but its a bad choice from the perspective of making the game fun for players. Your opponent topdecking stuff is already tilting; the game doesn't need to shout it from the rooftops that it happened.

Santiako

So we have GR (Domri) and UW (Sphinx's Rev) mythics spoiled. Any guesses on the GW, UB and RB?

GW is most likely Voice, but no idea on the other two. Olivia maybe? UB is really barren though.

OnPoint

Nothing like a mechanic that shouts, "HEY OPPONENT LOOK AT THIS AWESOME CARD I TOPDECKED JUST NOW AND GET TO CAST FOR SUPER CHEAP!" Designing cards to publicly reward you for topdecking them is just stupid game design. It's not so much that its a bad choice from a pure strategy perspective, but its a bad choice from the perspective of making the game fun for players. Your opponent topdecking stuff is already tilting; the game doesn't need to shout it from the rooftops that it happened.

Does Mana Leak fit the number crunch? Unless they upshift it to rare...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So we have GR (Domri) and UW (Sphinx's Rev) mythics spoiled. Any guesses on the GW, UB and RB?

GW is most likely Voice, but no idea on the other two. Olivia maybe? UB is really barren though.

They don't balance multicolor mythics. There isn't necessarily even 1 more of them. We're missing a green mythic and 3 others, at least one of which is likely colorless (aka it's Cavern of Souls because FUCK YOU PLAYERS).

traveler

Not Wario
Might have an Agent of Bolas reprint. Not sure how far out this set would have been locked in from the sword/thopter unban and they might have anticipated more value there he has. Pretty bad in limited though, without the theme to support him.

Voldaren and Huntmaster both seem possible.

Weird that miracles are here and not the next Eternal Masters.

Santiako

They don't balance multicolor mythics. There isn't necessarily even 1 more of them. We're missing a green mythic and 3 others, at least one of which is likely colorless (aka it's Cavern of Souls because FUCK YOU PLAYERS).

Oh, really? I assumed they'd give each represented guild a slot. Bummer if Voice is not in there.

Might have an Agent of Bolas reprint. Not sure how far out this set would have been locked in from the sword/thopter unban and they might have anticipated more value there he has. Pretty bad in limited though, without the theme to support him.

Voldaren and Huntmaster both seem possible.

Weird that miracles are here and not the next Eternal Masters.

There's no DFC, so Huntmaster is out.

Angry Grimace

I'll laugh until I pass out if the other green Mythic is like Thrun or something.

Jhriad

As exciting as the flurry of spoilers are in the morning are, the lull afterward is pretty irritating. Wish they would space these out a bit more throughout the day.

EDIT: Also, if that Voice is fake it'd probably be better to remove it from the thread since it's pretty misleading.

Santiako

As exciting as the flurry of spoilers are in the morning are, the lull afterward is pretty irritating. Wish they would space these out a bit more throughout the day.

Yeah, with the spoiler season being literally 4 days long, they should be dropping a card on twitter every hour or so.

Angry Grimace

EDIT: Also, if that Voice is fake it'd probably be better to remove it from the thread since it's pretty misleading.

It's too much of a pain in the ass to go back and edit a bunch of people's posts. It's fake, people can figure that out.

Angry Grimace

Yeah there is going to be an Artifact or Colorless Mythic

I can only assume Mox Opal or Batterskull. There were 2 colorless mythics in both of the other MMA sets. (MM1 has Swords, MM2 has Karn and Opal)

Actually the top 8 most valuable cards in MMA only includes 1 Mythic in Tarmogoyf.

Angry Grimace

Crazy theory: It'll be Batterskull since it, just like Lili, Snapcaster and Griselbrand, had promo printings

The biggest issue with Batterskull is that it requires its own specific token to play. It's not like that wouldn't happen if they had Voice in the set, but it would be pretty odd to do it now and not in 2015 where the set that had lots of Living Weapon.

They wouldn't really put Cavern at mythic... would they?

No, I don't think so. Snapcaster is a card with a wild flashy ability that's completely iconic and widely played across numerous formats; it makes "sense" as a mythic by the same logic they used for upshifting Goyf and Bob. Cavern is in large part a mana-fixing land that fills a utility function in decks that run it. It doesn't scan the same way and doesn't have the same level of reprint equity to preserve. Like: this is the logic people apply where the company does one bad thing and so they assume they will also do other bad things because they're letting their assumptions be guided by their emotional reaction. I don't think people would come to the "Cavern will be mythic!!" conclusion from a blank slate otherwise.

If they want a colorless mythic, the number one obvious choice would be Mox Opal, which would be a pretty reasonable carryover from the last set and is still a top-ten priced card. Two of the other obvious choices, Engineered Explosives and Chalice of the Void, were both rares in MMA and that bump I still don't think they're willing to do yet.

Angry Grimace

People were confused by the obvious fakes with fake set symbols and 'FAKE' or 'PROXY' written on them.

I'm not saying people can't be confused, I'm saying what you're asking for isn't within reason. Its not charlequin's job to trawl through the back pages of the sole catch-all MTG thread on the forum to correct every rumor that turns out to be false.

ultron87

I do hope they just keep Goyf in. Excluding Clique and Bob is fine, since those prices aren't that insane, and it does make the set feel different, but Goyf is still over a hundred dollars. And it isn't as if there are tons of opportunities to reprint it elsewhere.

Angry Grimace

If only posters could easily edit their own posts...

I guess more of the point I'm making is that you're asking a lot of different people (either individual posters or mods) to put in effort to police all of their own previous posts for very little net benefit. There isn't a spoiler gallery like on MTGS here, it doesn't actually matter.

Like, why is it necessary when the immediately following posts confirm its fake?

Santiako

OQsxota.png

Another great uncommon.

Jhriad

Like, why is it necessary when the immediately following posts confirm its fake?

Because it's a common courtesy to fellow users that takes literally seconds of effort on our part. We've seen the issues with proxies/user created cards during spoiler season before so why wouldn't we want to make the minimal effort to eliminate any chance of confusion? That's all.

Angry Grimace

And Noble Hierarch. Price is going through the roof if it's not reprinted.
It's like 45 now and only went to like 35 at its lowest last time. Just get it now haha

Goyf is either not in the set or at Rare. They can't keep playing coy if he's at Mythic, because it does nothing to continue the hype for the set.

All this set needs to be GOAT to me is Vial, Hierarch, and Cavern, and it just needs 2 of those imo. It's kind of odd how good this set is

Does Yuuki Ichikawa get to preview Golgari Charm?

Ah, the often forgotten 4th mode on Golgari Charm: Counter target Selesyna Charm.

Look on the brightside, Miracle is never coming back with new cards, so it's just stuck in 3 formats.

I just realized, the amount of focus unearth has in this set means it probably won't be an Amonkhet mechanic. If it was just a few cards, sure, but it's a Limited archetype.

Angry Grimace

I just realized, the amount of focus unearth has in this set means it probably won't be an Amonkhet mechanic. If it was just a few cards, sure, but it's a Limited archetype.

I'm gonna laugh if they do another graveyard theme and therefore justify no graveyard hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom