• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have a Mirri's Guile reprint

Would be nice but might be too expensive to toss in :(

Mirri is cool, it's interesting that they are turning weird old Enchantment / Artifact effects into Commanders. Like, how long before Enchanted Evening or Crucible or whatever are just Commanders so you can actually build around the effect? With all of this EDH speculative buying, it's getting hard to keep up if you want to play with stuff cheaply. Commander spoilers get me the most nervous for my "list of things I thought looked cool but haven't bought".

*I almost exclusively play 60 card casual, and love making shit decks around weird effects.

hermit7

I like the main general of the cat deck but am a bit disappointed by the equipment theme.

I guess I will wait for the decklists to come out but I am hoping that the wizard or vampire deck aligns more with what I am looking for. (Have a scion deck already)

leaning towards wizards but I am thinking that the deck I get is just going to be sleeved and run without modifications as a better entry point that I can pull out for low powered pods.

bigkrev

DGoy3njUMAAc7xq.png

Color-shifted weaker Notion Thief

Justin

why is a card with the name of alms collector doing some heroic pose/run in the art.
The act of collecting alms for the poor is generally much more religously tinted and mundane.

The flavor text makes it read more like a thief / robin hood than someone collecting taxes or a tithe. It fits the card ability.

Edit: I am going to call him Bernie.

A_Dang

why is a card with the name of alms collector doing some heroic pose/run in the art.
The act of collecting alms for the poor is generally much more religously tinted and mundane.

I think the flavor is supposed to be Robin Hood, but I agree, "Alms Collector" does not fit the art.

Edit...a minute late...

The flavor text makes it read more like a thief / robin hood than someone collecting taxes or a tithe. It fits the card ability.

Edit: I am going to call him Bernie.

I think the flavor is supposed to be Robin Hood, but I agree, "Alms Collector" does not fit the art.

Edit...a minute late...
But it's also a cleric which fits more with the name again. There's some disconnect going on with the card overall.
At least the effect is fitting both ends of the spectrum.

So, like, it works with wheels and it's a bit of a beating against Brainstorm or Griselbrand (not in commander, obviously) but it misses hitting a whole lot of things since anything that draws one card repeatedly gets past it.

Would this work with Howling Mine?

No. The extra draw from Howling Mine is a triggered ability that happens after you've done your normal draw for the turn meaning that only one card is drawn at a time.

Matriox

No. The extra draw from Howling Mine is a triggered ability that happens after you've done your normal draw for the turn meaning that only one card is drawn at a time.

Even though howling mine says "draw an additional card"? Seems like it would, considering additional means plus one aka 2 in most cases. Just making sure.

Edit: for the record I think you're right, but I'm caught up on the word additional. Why doesn't it just say "At the end/beginning of your draw step, draw a card".

Honestly, when you add in the art and the flavor text, the name starts to feel like a euphemism.

It's definitely a euphemism.

Even though howling mine says "draw an additional card"? Seems like it would, considering additional means plus one aka 2 in most cases. Just making sure.

Yeah, if it was a replacement ability it would say "instead" on it somewhere. I think the oracle text says "additional" card just to make clear that it's on top of their regular draw or any other Howling Mines in play, I don't think it has rules meaning.

kirblar

Alms collector is playing up whites collectivist nature. The religion aspect is why not everyone gets a card.

It's not a thief cause that's not the flavor here. It's "taxing"....but all the taxes go to you instead of being spread.

Edit: for the record I think you're right, but I'm caught up on the word additional. Why doesn't it just say "At the end/beginning of your draw step, draw a card".

It says "additional" because it's less confusing that way. "But I'm already drawing a card during my draw step???" type stuff. It would need to be a replacement effect to actually have you draw two cards at once for your normal turn draw.

Matriox

Yeah, if it was a replacement ability it would say "instead" on it somewhere. I think the oracle text says "additional" card just to make clear that it's on top of their regular draw or any other Howling Mines in play, I don't think it has rules meaning.

It says "additional" because it's less confusing that way. "But I'm already drawing a card during my draw step???" type stuff. It would need to be a replacement effect to actually have you draw two cards at once for your normal turn draw.

Thanks, I wasn't thinking in that way and that totally makes sense. Appreciate it.

What happens with one of these in play when two other players each control a Consecrated Sphinx?

Depends. Sphinx is a may so they can roughly control how many times draws occur. It's not quite as one sided as it is with Notion Thief (where the Thief player is decked and the Sphinx player draws any multiple of two cards) but each can choose to have the cat controller and themselves draw however many cards they'd like. Combined they can almost certainly deck the cat controller if they want.

Hungry Lynx is fantastic.
Glad to see they're open to making better cards for characters that were already legendary creatures. Maybe one day we'll get a Gerrard that isn't boring... even if that does reflect his character.
Secretly naming a player is really interesting. Plus, it's a one-use effect that doesn't place a reminder counter. I guess you can crumple up the paper you wrote the name on.

In terms of power level, you've got to remember that Commander is a singleton format. Yes, you're going to play Stoneforge Mystic and a Sword over the Equipcats, but more to the point you're probably going to play Stoneforge Mystic and a Sword in addition to the Equipcats.

Yeef

Why are they so stubborn about reprinting certain cards
They work 2 years out and sometimes reprints just don't fit. I'd love for them to reprint Maelstrom Archangel, because I think it's way too expensive for a card that's not terribly competitive, but there's not very many places that they could fit it in that would work with the overall design of a set; even moreso because it referenced a specific event.

I haven't been paying attention to the number crunch, but it seems likely they could reprint Aura Shards in the GW cat deck.

OnPoint

They work 2 years out and sometimes reprints just don't fit. I'd love for them to reprint Maelstrom Archangel, because I think it's way too expensive for a card that's not terribly competitive, but there's not very many places that they could fit it in that would work with the overall design of a set; even moreso because it referenced a specific event.

I haven't been paying attention to the number crunch, but it seems likely they could reprint Aura Shards in the GW cat deck.

I don't think a mythic creature and a utility uncommon are on the same level, but I totally get what you're saying.

That said, it's played in a ton of commander decks and, even if we do concede to them working 2 years out, it's been how many years now since the original Commander deck printings? They've had a lot of points where they could slot it in, like either Conspiracy set or Eternal Masters.

It's time for this one to see a reprint.

Yeef

That said, it's played in a ton of commander decks and, even if we do concede to them working 2 years out, it's been how many years now since the original Commander deck printings? They've had a lot of points where they could slot it in, like either Conspiracy set or Eternal Masters.
It wouldn't really make much sense in Eternal Masters. There was a big enchantment theme. Having a card that can completely hose a whole deck would be bad; moreso because the hoser would be in the same colors that play the deck.

The first Conspiracy came out about 3 years after it was last reprinted; it wasn't really urgent then. It could have worked in Conspiracy 2 fine, however.

Why are they so stubborn about reprinting certain cards

It's historically like a six to eight dollar card. If you had asked me to guess without looking whether it needed a reprint I would've said no. I don't think this one is stubbornness so much as it just not being on people's radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom