• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

Speaking of... I'm sure when we return to Theros we'll get a new Brimaz. Curious to see what they do for Brimaz 2.0.

Santiako

If you want to stick with Naya, Samut or Bruse Tarl + Somebody else are probably the best choice available, none of them angels though.

Firemind

As much as I love Mayael because of her glorious artwork she is no angel, literally not figuratively.
Zirilan of the Claw isn't a dragon either yet is perfect for mono red dragon tribal.

I think more to the point, 5+ Power restriction actually cuts off tons of Angels, considering how much 4 Power is a "thing" for the tribe.
There are enough 5+ power angels to make it work. You underestimate how many freaking angels exist in mtg.

Tbh after AKH and HOU the time does feel kinda ripe for Naga and Minotaur tribal. Round out those tribes, build some standards of play and flavor.

I wonder if, even if they don't do full tribes, they might just print a few scattered color-fixing commanders for tribes that have color identity problems like zombies, vampires, and angels. Probably not, I suppose, since they'd rather leave that option open for a complete different Commander set.

y2dvd

Isn't there an artifact that lets me put target card in graveyard to the bottom of the library? I want such an effect for my EDH boros deck.

As long as the rest of the deck is tribal I think it's fine. I mean, Kaalia is neither angel, dragon or demon and loads of people use her as a tribal commander.
Kaalia is an abomination mixing things that shouldn't be mixed.

I want my commander to share the decks tribe if there is one. Zirillian is like Scion more toolbox than tribal anyway.

They'd better not do an Elf tribal. That one needs no more buffing or options.

The only thing I would like for elves is a GBW commander. But yeah that doesn't warrant taking up a deck next month. I'm currently making an Elf Tribal EDH deck and the amount of options and directions you can take it in is already great.

Crocodile

Tbh after AKH and HOU the time does feel kinda ripe for Naga and Minotaur tribal. Round out those tribes, build some standards of play and flavor.

I would be down for Minotaur Tribal (and more good Minotaurs that cost 2 or less mana) but with Nagas, are Snakes just dead as a tribe moving forward? I still don't get why they decided toe embrace Nagas. Seems like falling into the same pitfalls things like Kamigawa did.

DrArchon

We just got a brand new Minotaur commander. And a pretty good one at that. How many more BR Minotaur legends do we really need?

All Nagas need are for Kaseto to be errata'd to let his ability hit Nagas and for all the Kamigawa snakefolk to be nagas as well. Or just make all Nagas snakes.

I'll place my bets on Sphinx Tribal and Vampire Tribal (to bridge their continued insistence on adding white into Vampires color identity and bridge into white Ixalan vampires) being the remainder.

No real reason for Sphinx other than they seem to have been pushing it increasingly hard for the last few years, so I guess the push will continue.

Crocodile

forget minotaur tribal. It'll never be good.

______ can and will become good as long as you add enough good low drops. It's the low drops that are key to turning any tribe competitive. Minotaur are pretty well covered in the 3+ mana range. Not so much the 1/2 mana range.

We just got a brand new Minotaur commander. And a pretty good one at that. How many more BR Minotaur legends do we really need?

All Nagas need are for Kaseto to be errata'd to let his ability hit Nagas and for all the Kamigawa snakefolk to be nagas as well. Or just make all Nagas snakes.

All Nagas need is to not be Nagas but rather be Snakes

Sounds easy :p

Also begs the question why they weren't snakes to begin with

DrArchon

Mardu Vampires would be pretty fun, and it would serve the purpose of letting one deck use Vampires from multiple sets.

Better than my idea for Esper Zombies for sure. They really dropped the ball on the number of white Zombies in Amonkhet.

They'll probably just Oracle Nagas to add Snakes to their type line at some point. It honestly seemed inevitable as soon as they announced Amonkhet and frankly kind of pisses me off that they wouldn't just manage it preemptively.

Do you want Ants Tribal, Wizards? Because this is how you get Ants Tribal.

Edit: As per Esper Zombies, I think the main problem with it is that all of the Amonkhet White Zombies are just hardcore in the "who even cares" category, yeah. Like, they exist, but they may as well not.

______ can and will become good as long as you add enough good low drops. It's the low drops that are key to turning any tribe competitive. Minotaur are pretty well covered in the 3+ mana range. Not so much the 1/2 mana range.
Not until they get a powerful mechanical theme, heckbent and self discard is the opposite of that. Minotaurs are just majorly bad cards in addition to being in the 2nd least powerful colour combo.

DrArchon

As per Esper Zombies, I think the main problem with it is that all of the Amonkhet White Zombies are just hardcore in the "who even cares" category, yeah. Like, they exist, but they may as well not.

Well, there aren't any rare white zombies that I can remember. Only uncommon ones. If there were rare or mythic white zombies that'd be one thing. Instead we get a bunch of commons plus the embalm/eternalize stuff, which I wouldn't put into any zombie tribal deck even if there was an Esper commander.

Hell, the only good Zombie tribal cards from Amonkhet that I'd think about using are Liliana's Mastery and Plague Belcher, two mono black cards!

Lord of the Accursed, too, though he's also mono-black.

There's the Zombie tribal support instants (In Oketra's Name and Time to Reflect), but they're nothing to really write home about.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So how fucked will I be playing other players if I get in with this new expansion?

I'll basically have my free starter deck from last release and whatever I get if I do prerelease or buy a Planeswalker deck am I gonna get wrecked?

DrArchon

So how fucked will I be playing other players if I get in with this new expansion?

I'll basically have my free starter deck from last release and whatever I get if I do prerelease or buy a Planeswalker deck am I gonna get wrecked?

Are you talking about going into standard? Yeah you'll probably get wrecked. The set before this was really powerful, much more powerful than this one, and a lot of very good decks are out there.

I'd recommend sticking to limited until you get your footing. Don't have to worry about people who spent over $100 on a deck crushing you in a handful of turns.

Lord of the Accursed, too, though he's also mono-black.

There's the Zombie tribal support instants (In Oketra's Name and Time to Reflect), but they're nothing to really write home about.

Can't believe I forgot about Lord of the Accursed. He's the one that actually sees a bunch of play in Zombie decks (though I love Plague Belcher's design so much more).

Justin

Stick to drafting and limited at least until September when Ixalan comes out since that is when the 4 oldest sets will rotate out and no longer be a part of standard. If you still are into the game at that point it would be a good time to jump into standard. If you want to get in sooner then just look around online at some budget decks. You can find some decks to play with at FNM for 40 or 50 bucks (mtggoldfish has some good cheap decks). You wont win often but you will at least get a lot of practice and help you learn the game.

Supast4r

I finished my play set of Baleful Strix this weekend and thought how I wished it were legal in Modern.

It got me thinking though being a sweet UB costed creature, flying and deathtouch, 1/1 and has card draw when it comes into the battlefield. What makes this a great creature for those colors? Obviously the card draw but it's also a great blocker with the flying and deathtouch.

Perhaps a UB mechanic that buffs the creatures power but also enables some card draw. Like maybe you get card draw when it enters the battlefield, but it also puts a +1/+1 counter on the creature for every card drawn until end of turn.

Think of a combination of Baleful Strix and Glaze Fiend (but not artifacts causing the buff, actual card draw).
I was wishing for Strix when we went to Kaladesh in the first place. Strix would be very good in modern but it would slot into death shadow so idk. As a modern faeries player I would love it.

1v1 backlist update for mtgo is out. On mobile, can't link but the big 3 blue cantrips got axed along w vial smasher.

Part of me wondered if Vial Smasher was going to be allowed but it was always an obvious ban for 1v1 in any format. Especially the Duel Commander format where life totals are 20.

y2dvd

I know there is for sure, but for the life of me I can't remember it.

Look up Grenzo, Dungeon Warden decks. It'll be in there for sure.

Edit: Reito Lantern

Reito Lantern
Conjurer's Bauble
Vessel of Endless Rest
Canal Dredger
Junktroller
Epitaph Golem

I could kiss yall! Definitely think I'll add Reito Lantern and Canal Dredger in my deck. Constantly getting back targets for my Sunforger will be nice.

Jaeyden

Sorry to go off topic. Have about $10K worth of cards I want to get rid of. $8k is in cards above $10 based on deckbox pricing. Any advice on moving it quick and maximizing value? Would be fine with 50% of total value if I could dump the whole thing.

bigkrev

Sorry to go off topic. Have about $10K worth of cards I want to get rid of. $8k is in cards above $10 based on deckbox pricing. Any advice on moving it quick and maximizing value? Would be fine with 50% of total value if I could dump the whole thing.

If they are mostly above bulk, and you want to do it quick, head to buylists. If your cards are in pristine condition, use Cardkingdom (they have the best prices but your idea of NM is their idea of SP), otherwise,shop around a bit- but keep it to 2 or 3 lists total so you aren't loosing your mind shipping.

Ashodin

Magic Story -Favor

• Hazoret fights dudes. She meets Samut, who tries to convince Hazoret of Nicol Bolas being a trespasser, but Hazoret has headaches.
  • She eventually can't deal with the carnage, and prays for the God-Pharaoh.
  • Big Nick shows up through a lengthy and elaborate Planeswalk. He rekts the place some more with Torment of Hailfire.
  • Bontu shows up and kneels to big Nick, even calls him by name, which makes Hazoret freak out.
  • But that would mean... Nicol Bolas orders Bontu to kill Hazoret, and she complies without hesitation.
  • Bontu and Hazoret fight, with Hazoret trying to make nothing personnel, kid and Bontu not having any of it. Hazoret remembers everything after getting mind blasted. Bontu was never under mind control, had been running the show the whole time.
  • Hazoret gets rekt and laid at Nicol Bolas' feet. Bontu's reward? Blast to the chest and death by zombies. She last resorts, then frees Hazoret of her death magic as big Nick flies away. Only Hazoret remains.

Interesting thing about Bontu's betrayal on reddit: the art for Bontu is the only one without gold and Bontu is kneeling.

tumblr_inline_opdwf9vRzG1se18ln_1280.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom