• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
They moved laterally with Ravnica. The guilds are the face of Ravnica and while within the same city they are not that different from the cities and orders of Otaria, the stage just looks different.

Yeah but they're two colors and they have distinct roles within the overall society, both of which help make them less cartoonish.

Ashodin

mmm with Otaria it was more a loose collection of factions, rather than strict outlined ordered roles, symbols, etc.

It was more Game of Thrones than Ravnica.

Ooh, now I want Game of Thrones the Plane. Wait, isn't that just Fiora?

Joe Molotov

I like reading the increasingly out-of-date comments on Gatherer sometimes.

z429k3o.png

mmm with Otaria it was more a loose collection of factions, rather than strict outlined ordered roles, symbols, etc.

It was more Game of Thrones than Ravnica.

Ooh, now I want Game of Thrones the Plane. Wait, isn't that just Fiora?
Fiora is the Italian Renaissance Politics Plane.

Westeros is late Medieval period, so they're close but not exactly there.

I'd kill for a regular Fiora block though. Or even a "HBO Rome" Plane about a war of successors to"Caesar"

that's less cartoonish?

Having people self-organized into formal groups that perform societally important tasks (like, y'know, we have in real life) is less cartoonish than The Society of All Super Eggheaded Smart People Who Live Under the Blue Sun, yes. Every setting from Ravnica onwards has a more nuanced model for factions and color associations than the Odyssey -> Kamigawa period.

Is there really not a single instant or sorcery in blue that returns more than one instant or sorcery from the graveyard to the hand?

This is what I have for Taigam right now, a little over a hundred cards witht he lands and there's still equipments an counters to be included
//Artifacts
1 Azorius Signet
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mind Stone
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Smuggler's Copter
1 Sol Ring
1 Talisman of Progress
1 Thought Vessel

//Enchantments
1 As Foretold
1 Consulate Crackdown
1 Counterbalance
1 Land Tax
1 Metallurgic Summonings
1 Mind's Dilation
1 Rest in Peace
1 Rhystic Study
1 Steel of the Godhead

//Instants
1 Brainstorm
1 Cryptic Command
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Dig Through Time
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Frantic Search
1 Gush
1 Intuition
1 Mystic Confluence
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Ojutai's Command
1 Path to Exile
1 Reality Shift
1 Return to Dust
1 Sphinx's Revelation
1 Supreme Will
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Valorous Stance
1 Warping Wail

//Sorceries
1 Ancestral Vision
1 Austere Command
1 Bribery
1 Council's Judgment
1 Fabricate
1 Gitaxian Probe
1 Hour of Revelation
1 Idyllic Tutor
1 Manifold Insights
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Preordain
1 Replenish
1 Restore Balance
1 Rise from the Tides
1 Serum Visions
1 Spelltwine
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Temporal Mastery
1 Terminus
1 Time Spiral
1 Timely Reinforcements
1 Treasure Cruise
1 Windfall

//Planeswalkers
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

//Creatures
1 Academy Rector
1 Consecrated Sphinx
1 Dragonlord Ojutai
1 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
1 Kefnet the Mindful
1 Leonin Arbiter
1 Monastery Mentor
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Stoneforge Mystic
1 Sun Titan

Having people self-organized into formal groups that perform societally important tasks (like, y'know, we have in real life) is less cartoonish than The Society of All Super Eggheaded Smart People Who Live Under the Blue Sun, yes. Every setting from Ravnica onwards has a more nuanced model for factions and color associations than the Odyssey -> Kamigawa period.
I don't wanna regurgitate arguments and my problems with Ravnica too much but groups more or less openly FIGHTING EACH OTHER performing societally important tasks is not as much of a step up as you make it out to be.

Otaria at least had factions compete that weren't so dependent upon each other.

traveler

Not Wario
Assuming Horizon Canopy is too good for WotC to ever complete the cycle, but have they ever said anything one way or another on it?

Is there really not a single instant or sorcery in blue that returns more than one instant or sorcery from the graveyard to the hand?

This is what I have for Taigam right now, a little over a hundred cards witht he lands and there's still equipments an counters to be included

Definitely is. Let me do some searching.

Edit:
Image.ashx

and

Image.ashx

is the one I remembered. Forgot the flashback was red, though, so if this is a commander color identity thing, you can't use it.

traveler

Not Wario
Yeah, they've been playing it more safe with recursive cards that could return copies of themselves in recent sets. Exiling on resolution is a pretty common clause nowadays.

With Taigam, aren't the single card recursion spells like Call to Mind ok since you've getting them twice anyways? Not sure how cutthroat you want to be, but in the right board state, I'm assuming 2 call to mind effects and a non exiling Time Warp effect wins the game.

man those suck compared to Metallurgic Summonings

The artifact clause isn't a free rider; that's a serious condition, especially if you're looking to immediately recur cards when you cast the spell. 10 mana is pretty hefty too, even in commander and split across 2 payments.

Speaking of commander I was writing this card off until I saw it in action
It's effectively a "draw 3 answers" for 3 mana which is an amazing deal.

Taigam, aren't the single card recursion spells like Call to Mind ok since you've getting them twice anyways? Not sure how cutthroat you want to be, but in the right board state, I'm assuming 2 call to mind effects and a non exiling Time Warp effect wins the game.
Probably they are just so mana inefficient, I don't like going too heavy on extra turns. The miracle is the only one I'm running right now.

Taigam for reference.

traveler

Not Wario
I was going to suggest pieces of the puzzle, but that looks pretty great too. Not sure which would be better, as three nonland cards is likely always great, but you do get the choice yourself with pieces and if you have recursive/delve elements, can leverage the graveyard dump as well.

I don't like cutthroat EDH either. If you're going less brutally competitive and more flavorful, myth realized might be a fun include, as it's affiliated with the Ojutai monks as is, your deck likely has outlets to make creatures unblockable to trigger Taigam's ability, and Taigam's ability should give 2 triggers to the Myth in place of one.

Image.ashx

traveler

Not Wario
Rebound is part of resolving isn't it, doesn't that make it a nonbo?
That is a sweet card, easily forgotten. I'm gonna compile the deck by function and then I'll see if I have room for another wincon.

Taigam makes all your instants/sorceries uncounterable. You now have a permanent that lets all your stuff through while countering all of your opponents. You still get birds, too, so dtt resolves, gets 8 birds, rebounds, gets 8 birds and resolves both times.

traveler

Not Wario
It's bound to be coming in one of the next two masters sets. Not sure it really fits the "iconic" theming, but I doubt all of those cards will adhere to that theme anyways. Wouldn't be a bad idea to unload them some time in the next two months if you're not planning on playing with them.

Taigam makes all your instants/sorceries uncounterable. You now have a permanent that lets all your stuff through while countering all of your opponents. You still get birds, too, so dtt resolves, gets 8 birds, rebounds, gets 8 birds and resolves both times.
oh shit. I need this and I was looking for Academy rector targets that weren't omniscience anyways.

Tunoku

Went 3-1 with Burn today. I lost to Grixia Death's Shadow and the matchup is pretty rough. My draws weren't the greatest, but I feel like it was hard to actually ever put pressure on my opponent and force a move from them. I'm kinda thinking about throwing in Ensnaring Bridge or Mirran Crusader.

traveler

Not Wario
Went 3-1 with Burn today. I lost to Grixia Death's Shadow and the matchup is pretty rough. My draws weren't the greatest, but I feel like it was hard to actually ever put pressure on my opponent and force a move from them. I'm kinda thinking about throwing in Ensnaring Bridge or Mirran Crusader.

I'm assuming from the burn side of the matchup, you hold burn back till they've intentionally knocked themselves down to 4/4 or 5/5 DS range, then unload. How does the deck deal with anglers or tasigur, though? I guess that's the idea behind those sb options? Bridge won't work too well since they can stub it or k command it after resolution, so crusader is your better choice there. Actually applies pressure too in the absence of needing to hold the fort.

Alternatively, if you have access to white, as the crusader suggestion implies, you could just run a more flexible piece of hate in rest in peace. With the gy gone, they won't be hardcasting their delve threats anytime soon and you eliminate a good chunk of snappy/thought scour functionality. It is pretty terrible if it shows up after the delve threat comes online, though.

Tunoku

I'm assuming from the burn side of the matchup, you hold burn back till they've intentionally knocked themselves down to 4/4 or 5/5 DS range, then unload. How does the deck deal with anglers or tasigur, though? I guess that's the idea behind those sb options? Bridge won't work too well since they can stub it or k command it after resolution, so crusader is your better choice there. Actually applies pressure too in the absence of needing to hold the fort.

Alternatively, if you have access to white, as the crusader suggestion implies, you could just run a more flexible piece of hate in rest in peace. With the gy gone, they won't be hardcasting their delve threats anytime soon and you eliminate a good chunk of snappy/thought scour functionality. It is pretty terrible if it shows up after the delve threat comes online, though.

This is how I board:

-4 Searing Blaze
-3 Monastery Swiftspear

+2 Relic of Progenitus
+3 Path to Exile
+2 Deflecting Palm

As you said, the plan is to burn them on their end step, untap, and then burn them some more. Creatures are not great against their threats past turn 3 or 4 and Searing Blaze is a bad Lava Spike in the matchup. I prefer Relic to RiP and the Relic at least replaces itself and can come down on turn 1. The Paths are obviously necessary and do a good job at dealing with Death's Shadow and the upside of Deflecting Palm is just too high in the matchup.

My current list:

4 Goblin Guide
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Rift Bolt
4 Searing Blaze
4 Skullcrack
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Helix

4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Arid Mesa
2 Scalding Tarn
3 Inspiring Vantage
2 Sacred Foundry
1 Stomping Ground
2 Mountain

/sideboard

2 Kor Firewalker
3 Path to Exile
4 Destructive Revelry
2 Deflecting Palm
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Relic of Progenitus

Alright revised list not includeing mana production and way too many cuts to make since I haven't even put in regular counters yet.
Wincons:
1 Metallurgic Summonings
1 Mind's Dilation
1 Bribery
1 Rise from the Tides
1 Dragonlord Ojutai
1 Kefnet the Mindful
1 Sun Titan
1 Monastery Mentor
1 Dovescape

Evasion + Haste:
1 Steel of the Godhead
1 Lightning Greaves

Card Selection:
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Smuggler's Copter
1 Brainstorm
1 Frantic Search
1 Gitaxian Probe
1 Preordain
1 Serum Visions

Card Draw:
1 Rhystic Study
1 Dig Through Time
1 Gush
1 Sphinx's Revelation
1 Manifold Insights
1 Pieces of the Puzzle
1 Time Spiral
1 Treasure Cruise
1 Windfall
1 Consecrated Sphinx
1 Ancestral Vision

Tutor:
1 Academy Rector
1 Stoneforge Mystic
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Fabricate
1 Idyllic Tutor
1 Merchant Scroll

Modal Counters:
1 Cryptic Command
1 Mystic Confluence
1 Ojutai's Command
1 Supreme Will
1 Warping Wail

Wrath:
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Austere Command
1 Hour of Revelation
1 Restore Balance
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Terminus

Removal (Creature+):
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Valorous Stance
1 Council's Judgment
1 Path to Exile
1 Reality Shift

Removal (Non Creature):
1 Consulate Crackdown
1 Return to Dust
1 Grip of Phyresis

Recursion:
1 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Replenish

Miscellaneous:
1 Leonin Arbiter
1 As Foretold
1 Counterbalance
1 Land Tax
1 Temporal Mastery
1 Rest in Peace
1 Timely Reinforcements
1 Jace, the Mindsculptor

On first glance I can cut Mind's Dilation, too many options.

Ashodin

Ooh are we posting advance CMD 2017 lists?

Here's Ramos

"BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED"

1 Arid Mesa
1 Breeding Pool
1 Cascading Cataracts
1 Command Tower
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Exotic Orchard
1 Flooded Strand
2 Forest
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Henge of Ramos
2 Island
1 Marsh Flats
1 Mirrodin's Core
1 Misty Rainforest
2 Mountain
1 Overgrown Tomb
2 Plains
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Rupture Spire
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Stomping Ground
2 Swamp
1 Temple of the False God
1 Transguild Promenade
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Watery Grave
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Amulet of Vigor
1 Arcbound Wanderer
1 Birds of Paradise
1 Bringer of the Black Dawn
1 Bringer of the Blue Dawn
1 Bringer of the Green Dawn
1 Bringer of the Red Dawn
1 Bringer of the White Dawn
1 Burgeoning
1 Chromanticore
1 Chromatic Lantern
1 Clearwater Goblet
1 Commander's Sphere
1 Coretapper
1 Cultivate
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Darksteel Forge
1 Darksteel Ingot
1 Darksteel Reactor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Diluvian Primordial
1 Energy Chamber
1 Etched Oracle
1 Eternity Vessel
1 Exploration
1 Explosive Vegetation
1 Eye of Ramos
1 Farseek
1 Fist of Suns
1 Gemstone Array
1 Heart of Ramos
1 Heliophial
1 Heroic Intervention
1 Horn of Ramos
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Legacy Weapon
1 Luminate Primordial
1 Lunar Avenger
1 Maelstrom Archangel
1 Maelstrom Nexus
1 Maelstrom Wanderer
1 Mirari's Wake
1 Molten Primordial
1 Opaline Bracers
1 Oracle of Mul Daya
1 Painful Truths
1 Pentad Prism
1 Power Conduit
1 Prismatic Geoscope
1 Privileged Position
1 Progenitus
1 Rampant Growth
1 Sepulchral Primordial
1 Shard Convergence
1 Skull of Ramos
1 Sol Ring
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Sphere of the Suns
1 Spinal Parasite
1 Suncrusher
1 Surge Node
1 Titan Forge
1 Tooth of Ramos
1 Trinket Mage
1 Trophy Mage
1 Zendikar Resurgent

Also LSV's Red is up https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/hour-of-devastation-limited-set-review-red/

traveler

Not Wario
What do you think of Etched Monstrosity in that list, Ashodin? It's more work than etched oracle for sure, but a legitimate beatstick in its own right and can actually play politics by ancestraling another player.

Ashodin

What do you think of Etched Monstrosity in that list, Ashodin? It's more work than etched oracle for sure, but a legitimate beatstick in its own right and can actually play politics by ancestraling another player.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. I don't own the card.

edit: Wait I do! Hmm I need SPACE

I like Spinal Parasite threatening to eat planeswalkers.

It'd be a bit of an adjustment to the deck to support it, but the other option I thought of was Sacred Excavation.

I don't wanna regurgitate arguments and my problems with Ravnica too much but groups more or less openly FIGHTING EACH OTHER performing societally important tasks is not as much of a step up as you make it out to be.

I mean it's all fantasy worldbuilding (and therefore inherently goofy) but there really is a far greater amount of richness in the Guilds than Generic Onslaught Soldier People or whatever and it's one of the big reasons Ravnica is so popular.

bigkrev

Barnes and Nobel website has a one-time use coupon "GOODBUY" to get 20% off. Good if you want to pick up one of the MTG artbooks, makes it cheaper than Amazon.

It'd be a bit of an adjustment to the deck to support it, but the other option I thought of was Sacred Excavation.
In light of that revelation I'm reevualitng that card but yeah not playing it.

I mean it's all fantasy worldbuilding (and therefore inherently goofy) but there really is a far greater amount of richness in the Guilds than Generic Onslaught Soldier People or whatever and it's one of the big reasons Ravnica is so popular.
Absolutely but they are still Bella cart9onish and trite.

In light of that revelation I'm reevualitng that card but yeah not playing it
Absolutely but they are still hella cartoonish and cliche. Mostly because the whole colour pie is bad in that regard.

DrArchon

Red really does look great at common and uncommon.
Shame about some of those rares.

I'm actually really glad that a lot of the Hour of Devastation rares seem to be a lot more toned down in terms of limited usefulness compared to Amonkhat. Just thinking about some of the matches I lost makes my blood boil.

"Oh, I couldn't kill you before you got Sandwurm Convergence out and I'm not playing colors with enchantment removal so I just lose this game."

"Oh, I don't have instant speed removal for your Glorybringer, so I guess I just eat 4 damage and lose a creature."

"Oh, I don't have enough removal to cast two in a single turn, so your Glyph Keeper is just untouchable. And even if I save up it'll just come back."

bigkrev

Just realized that this will probably be only the second Pre-release I miss since I started playing again with Scars of Mirrodin (I missed one previously due to a massive snow storm a few years ago), and that I'm kind of OK with it? My only experience with Amonkhet limited was that Pre-release as well, and I doubt i'll have time to do FNM draft the rest of the summer.

Tunoku

Just realized that this will probably be only the second Pre-release I miss since I started playing again with Scars of Mirrodin (I missed one previously due to a massive snow storm a few years ago), and that I'm kind of OK with it? My only experience with Amonkhet limited was that Pre-release as well, and I doubt i'll have time to do FNM draft the rest of the summer.

I can't blame you. I'm going to the midnight prerelease, but that's probably it for the weekend.

In other news, I finally ordered my first Snapcaster Mage. Gonna work towards getting that playset sometime soon. My local shop is selling them for 47,50€ which is steep, but not more expensive than the ones you order online from strangers. I should have bought them after Modern Masters 2017 came out, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom