• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

noquarter

New logo sucks. Hope it actually draws people to the game, but think it is garbage. Wasn't a fan of the old logo, but after 23 years had gotten used to it.

Nope, last small set ever.
Wow, calling that a little soon, aren't you? The last small set tha5 is scheduled, but I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the future they decide to a small set again.

Edit: Dammit, top of page, sorry guyd!

Those thieving dinos are super cute and way better than the owl man. I may have to get that.

Vraska's Contempt now more expensive than Fatal Push.

Everyone's getting giddy about the UB control deck. It's like 15 years ago again. I think I want a UG Merfolk deck with hexproof everywhere.

Lucario

People were not prepared post-Masterpiece, post-Redemption changes.

This is much more like how things were around RTR/INN/etc.
Yup. This was inevitable, and it’s happening to every Ixalan card that’s even seeing sideboard play. Deathgorge Scavenger is seven bucks!

Things could get silly when edh players make their inevitable post-rotation run on the flip lands, Arcane Adaptation, and Vanquisher’s Banner.

Akim

Banned
What is the general consensus on Magic Online going forward? I have the itch to do some drafting, but mostly play standard. Is Magic Online seen as dead now that Arena is coming? It's probably dumb to put any money in it at this point...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Wow, calling that a little soon, aren't you? The last small set tha5 is scheduled, but I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the future they decide to a small set again.

Core sets will be functionally small. Half the cards will be reprints.

Tunoku

What is the general consensus on Magic Online going forward? I have the itch to do some drafting, but mostly play standard. Is Magic Online seen as dead now that Arena is coming? It's probably dumb to put any money in it at this point...

Plenty of people are still drafting, the full Arena release is not out until next year, and we don't even know which form Draft is going to be available in Arena exactly. So if you want to play limited, just go for it.

Boogiepop

Ooh, didn't know about that Merfolk vs Goblins thing. I was thinking on using Ixalan Merfolk as a springboard to set up a (probably janky) Merfolk Commander deck. Is it likely that that'd be a good investment when it comes out for those purposes? Not sure if such a product would likely have solid, worthwhile cards on offer, or just be mediocre jank not worth the money. Guess either way, I should ultimately wait and see what's in there (and probably to a lesser degree Explorers of Ixalan)...

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
People were not prepared post-Masterpiece, post-Redemption changes.

This is much more like how things were around RTR/INN/etc.

Redemption was much, much better then, and cheaper.

Alot of these price increases I'm guessing are due to there being no big value in the land cycle.

noquarter

Ooh, didn't know about that Merfolk vs Goblins thing. I was thinking on using Ixalan Merfolk as a springboard to set up a (probably janky) Merfolk Commander deck. Is it likely that that'd be a good investment when it comes out for those purposes? Not sure if such a product would likely have solid, worthwhile cards on offer, or just be mediocre jank not worth the money. Guess either way, I should ultimately wait and see what's in there (and probably to a lesser degree Explorers of Ixalan)...
They aren't really 'good investments' but it should be a decent way to get some Meefolk, since the rares will be one ofs, but buying singles will probably be cheaper. Would wait until it releases for sure to get serious about your build, unless you are looking at cards that are greater than $10, as those are unlikely to be reprinted in it.

kirblar

Redemption was much, much better then, and cheaper.

Alot of these price increases I'm guessing are due to there being no big value in the land cycle.
That's part of it as well, yes.

Note that this is a good thing for the game. Higher singles prices relative to the BFZ->AER era helps drive people to draft and such.

Unless the Ixalan ones are a big departure, they shouldn't honestly have most of these problems. The only one-ofs in the PWs decks are usually a couple of Rares from the set and the PW themselves, the rest should be 2-, 3-, or even 4-ofs.

Maybe I’m remembering wrong, but I don’t think there’s any 4-ofs, and I don’t think there’s more than a few 3-ofs.

Just checked, two cards have three copies and there’s 4 Castaway’s Despair, everything else is one or two copies.

If you are in the US, cardkingdom sells what they call "battle decks", which are cheap (10 bucks), fully built theme decks, they are supposed to be close in power level with each other. https://www.cardkingdom.com/catalog/shop/battle-decks

I saw these advertised on Tolarian Community College and was interested, has anyone bought one of these?

Ashodin

Checking back in Hour thread for people who picked up on Scarab God being bonkers and good for value post rotation.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=243563656&postcount=3742

Zocano said:
I feel like I should pick up a copy of Scarab God right now before the price goes up any more on it. Feel like it's not really gonna go down at all since, as some have mentioned, this set will not really be opened much and it's got such shit value overall that the few cards that are worth it will just retain their value really well.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241833663&postcount=1629

Me said:
The Scarab God and The Locust God look like solid top-ends for the decks that want them. They're not setting the world on fire, but they'll do incredible things, and you have to exile them to stop them from coming back.

Scarab God isn't setting the world on fire, but it's setting your wallet on fire!

There just are zero benefits to small sets. They're not cheaper to design, they're not that much cheaper in art, they sell less on average, they only really work in limited attached to a large set because they're too repetitive on their own, they often have design problems when they try to carry stuff over while still having room for new stuff... even if they bring back blocks (permanently or occasionally) there's nothing about small sets that can't be made better by just doing the blocks with two large sets.

Repgnar

Glad I got 3 scarab gods at HOU release. Also opened quite a few Vraska's contempt including a promo one. Only thing I didn't really jump on are fetid pools and I think I only have one currently. Don't think I'll play U/B control but who knows.

Get back from a 2 week trip so will finally be ordering the Ixalan cards for what I want to play. Def looking into tokens for myself and my wife wants to play merfolks. Mostly to play with friends but going to try and build them to stand a chance at FNM as well. Still going to try and make Fleet Swallower work even though I know that one won't be competitive.

It's funny how Hour of Devastation really did turn out to be Dragons of Tarkir 2, with everyone thinking it would be terrible from previews but it turning out to have a fair amount of Standard-important cards.

Card Boy

Banned
It's funny how Hour of Devastation really did turn out to be Dragons of Tarkir 2, with everyone thinking it would be terrible from previews but it turning out to have a fair amount of Standard-important cards.

Doesnt really have many cards used in other formats or any modern staples. Abrade might be used and Firebrand Archer is amazing in Pauper burn. Acouple of the God cards are good.

Ashodin

lack of solid exile effects in standard too don't help much either.

Violet_0

Banned
I really liked the Scarab God but I think I undervalued it because I just assumed that my liking it was in part due to me being an easy mark for Zombies Tribal.

I absolutely liked all the Grixis Gods better than the monos, though. And still do. Yes, even doofy-ass Scorpion God.

No shaming intended but an Eminem thread was the last place I'd expect to run across this face
He looks like LSV (Magic the gathering alumni)
CODTOFaO.jpg

Justin

Couple of good Rosewatta Stones from the last few days. For those who haven't seen them they are cards run though google translate 12-14 times until you get results like below.
2UB for photos of rural life is good value. No wonder the card is $40

Looking at mtggoldfish's format staples.
You have Abrade, earthshaker khenra, chandra's defeat, scarab god, champion of wits and supreme will as the cards from HOU among the top 50 cards played in standard.

Ixalan: 8
Hour of Devastation: 6
Amonkhet: 11
Aether Revolt: 8
Kaladesh: 17

Going by that random census HOU is the least impactful set but not by much and Kaladesh was a mistake

Amonkhet was the real underrated set.

Justin

Looking at mtggoldfish's format staples.
You have Abrade, earthshaker khenra, chandra's defeat, scarab god, champion of wits and supreme will as the cards from HOU among the top 50 cards played in standard.

Ixalan: 8
Hour of Devastation: 6
Amonkhet: 11
Aether Revolt: 8
Kaladesh: 17

Going by that random census HOU is the least impactful set but not by much and Kaladesh was a mistake

Surely Ramunap Ruins is on that list for HOU. It is a four of in one of the three tier one decks.

Violet_0

Banned
Couple of good Rosewatta Stones from the last few days. For those who haven't seen them they are cards run though google translate 12-14 times until you get results like below.
Hazoret and Treasure Cruise are pretty good, but Longtusk Sex is amazing
all the text on the card goes together almost too well
these cards are funnier than anything the Un-sets can ever hope to accomplish

Justin

Jace smiled. "Your story is worth telling. Thank you for sharing it with me."

The gentle smile she gave in return gave him pause. It was vulnerable and honest. Eyes locked with his.

She had stopped rowing.

Everything about this jungle was bright and over-saturated. It all felt weighty with meaning. Jace had dozens of questions lined up, all of them severely different from one another in tone, a hodgepodge of inquiries both mundane and fantastical. Did she like books? What were the metaphysical properties of the space between planes of existence? How was planeswalking different from casting a normal spell? What was her favorite dessert?

They are about to move onto the dessert part of the relationship

Jace smiled. "Your story is worth telling. Thank you for sharing it with me."

The gentle smile she gave in return gave him pause. It was vulnerable and honest. Eyes locked with his.

She had stopped rowing.

Everything about this jungle was bright and over-saturated. It all felt weighty with meaning. Jace had dozens of questions lined up, all of them severely different from one another in tone, a hodgepodge of inquiries both mundane and fantastical. Did she like books? What were the metaphysical properties of the space between planes of existence? How was planeswalking different from casting a normal spell? What was her favorite dessert?

Time to celebrate.

I fixed it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A bunch of action happens in the story.

Meanwhile, Jace and Vraska are riding down a river on a boat together underneath an invisibility spell literally staring into each others eyes while Jace wonders about what kind of dessert she likes.

Magic Story - The Race, part 1
* At the vampire fort Adanto, a vampire in the midst of his blood fast approaches. The human guards know not to approach him and fetch a vampire priest. He carries a bag of destroyed navigational tools, claiming he did not need them to get there.
* The priest recognizes him as Mavren Fein. He became a vampire 200 years ago. He suddenly attacks a guard at the top of the fort wall, biting at his armor, but they manage to restrain him. The priest tells him that they'll ritualistically break his fast at dusk, feeding him a prisoner.
* They seal Mavren in the cell next to the prisoner, and Mavren rambles about the origin of the vampires.
* Saint Elenda was a warrior nun who guarded the Immortal Sun in the mountains of Torrezon. She was nine feet tall, with black hair and sharp nails (this might be exaggeration). While she fought off Pedron the Wicked, a winged beast stole the Immortal Sun.
* Elenda turned to dark magic in order to search for the Immortal Sun, becoming the first vampire. She searched for centuries, then returned to Torrezon to pass on the vampiric rite to others. Mavren was one of the first to become a vampire after her.
* Elenda sailed back west and was never seen again.
* After this, Mavren tears apart the cell wall and eats the prisoner. The priest rushes over, and reacts with reverence. She's only ashamed she wasn't able to complete the ceremony in time.
* Now sated, Mavren is calm. He explains that the rest of his ship's crew died when they ran aground. To continue his mission, he just needs clothes and a staff; he has no need for a compass.

* Perspective switches to Vona, Butcher of Magan. She was very happy when they were conquering Torrezon, but had a hard time transitioning after they were done.
* She was given her own lands, but eventually got bored and hunted and killed every human there. This was 50 years ago.
* When the voyage to search for Saint Elenda was announced, she joined right away.
* Her ship approaches The Belligerent (Vraska's ship), but then a storm summoned by merfolk appears.
* Both ships are destroyed and she washes up on shore. Many of her crew has died, but they are only means to an end.
* She rushes toward an injured pirate and drinks his blood. She rushes into the jungle, confident that her crew will follow when they could keep up. Not that she needs them, anyway.

* Jace and Vraska abandoned ship before it crashed.
* Jace is attacked by a vampire, who he puts to sleep. Vraska mentally tells him to close his eyes, and she turns a vampire behind him to stone.
* The remaining crew will fight off the vampires while they go inland, then follow after them. Jace will make an illusion signal for them every hour. Vraska tells them to kill all the vampires, but avoid fighting the natives.
* They take a boat onto a river, and Jace makes them invisible.
* Vraska decides to tell him about planeswalking. Jace explains what he learned about the compass. Vraska says she'll stop hiding things from him, though she doesn't explain who Bolas is. Shippy stuff happens.
* Jace notes that he senses the following in the jungle: a human, a vampire, a merfolk, and a minotaur.

* Huatli goes to the area of the battle, hoping to find a merfolk guide.
* They come across Tishana, unconscious from Kumena's attack. She wakes up and Huatli explains that she doesn't want to fight.
* Tishana speaks esoterically and doesn't explain herself, which annoys Huatli.
* Huatli explains she saw a golden city and needs a guide. Tishana seems to be vaguely aware of the existence of other planes and questions what she really saw.
* She explains that she sensed Huatli and others, and that she knows that some fall into their world but are unable to leap out.
* Tishana agrees to help as long as Huatli only wants to find the city, not to possess it. This is really more means to an end to stop Kumena.
* Tishana summons an elemental to carry her. She tells Huatli to follow after her.
* Huatli sees Vona go into the jungle and tells the people with her to follow after the vampire.
* At the river, Tishana notices that someone is using an illusion to hide their presence. They move on. Huatli explains that it might be the gorgon pirate they've heard of.
* When the river narrows, they will attack them and take their compass.
* Tishana explains that she doesn't actually know where the city is, just the general location.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Has anybody tried to create Magic cards from an AI? Kinda reminds me of the Hearthstone cards created from a neural network.

Ashodin

A bunch of action happens in the story.

Meanwhile, Jace and Vraska are riding down a river on a boat together underneath an invisibility spell literally staring into each others eyes while Jace wonders about what kind of dessert she likes.
Just fuck already so we can get the inevitable cat fight

Top Bottom