• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Supast4r

What decks want Hazoret in modern that wouldn't rather have Chandra and Koth?
Koth requires you to commit to full red and Chandra doesn't hit people. Hazoret is decent as a 1 of in shadow decks because they go hellbent due to liliana

Supast4r

Wow, "sacrifice a permanent" is a new effect for red, right? Or at least one that wasn't really considered a primary ability for red, just something that incidentally was used to implement a rare effect. Certainly not at common.
Crack the earth would live to have a word

Supast4r

Anyone (kirblar) have their eye on any under-priced preorders? What's the Collective Brutality or Locust God of this set?
Soecerous spyglass, settle the wrekage, the 4/5 dino that draws cards when hit, captain storm all seem like good pickups. The biggest buy is captain storm. She is $1 preorder and she will become a staple in rdw

bigkrev

Duress is such a good and safe card that it should be permanently in standard.

They used to have a a term called "UBS" (Universal Basic Set), that they used for cards that were designed to be put into core sets in perpetuity, back when they weren't printing new cards in Base Sets. Stuff like Diabolic Tutor and Zombify were printed in Oddyessy for the express purpose of being cards to be legal in standard "forever".

There are a bunch of cards- Lightning Strike (or Searing Spear, ect), Negate, Naturalize, Banishing Light- that should be in standard at all times.

They actually do this with Serra Angel, Shivan Dragon and others for the Welcome decks.

Spell Pierce, Duress, Opt, Kitesail Freebooter, and Siren Stormtamer are going right into a blue/black tempo deck that is looking pretty amazing post rotation.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't remember those are blackborded.
I wasn't aware that they were. The box only had one copy of Bolt in it anyways.

If you want black bordered original frame lightning bolt the only real option I know of is Italian revised. There are Japanese/Chinese ones but they cost more because people pay a lot for moonrunes on cards.

Santiako

You better buy your scarab gods while you can. All I'm going to say.

That ship has sailed long ago, the card is really expensive now.

I picked up two a little while back, you think a third is necessary?
Gabriel Nassif has been brewing UB for some time and he's on a 3-2 split with Scarab God and Gearhulk.

The UB control deck that just won the GP plays 3, and it feels like the best control win con now that Gearhulk is more vulnerable.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Anyone (kirblar) have their eye on any under-priced preorders? What's the Collective Brutality or Locust God of this set?

The best cards likely to see Standard play is Lightning Strike. Opt and Spell Pierce will have demand because they see play in other formats, but both are commons and Pierce isn't' that great in standard where there's a lot of stuff it doesn't counter.

I think I have like 5 copies of Hazoret, one of which is a pack foil. That wasn't on purpose, I was playing an Honored Hydra deck (lol).

Santiako

New Jace could be a good pickup if he's cheap. There seems to be a ton of support for Ux tempo/aggro, and he slots right in there.

I don't have any money for cards at the moment and I've been actively seeking 3 scarab gods for the last 3 weeks. From where we are in spoilers as of right now, he's a card you want to pick up a third copy of.

Everything could change with some crazy shit like an aetherling reprint though, so WHO KNOWS.

bigkrev

Prices could be weird this set- there are no Masterpieces, and the lands are cards that have been reprinted to death already.

Angry Grimace

New Jace could be a good pickup if he's cheap. There seems to be a ton of support for Ux tempo/aggro, and he slots right in there.

I don't really see it. He's cheap but he largely doesn't do anything and I'd be highly surprised if an aggro deck wanted a 3 drop that makes a single 2/2 and with a plus that's both conditional and not very powerful.

I mean, I wasn't right about Vryn's Prodigy but Vryn's Prodigy was obviously better given it's cost to effect.

Neoweee

My LGS in Chicago closed, one of the two big ones. Ixalan pre-releases are going to be a complete trainwreck without them hosting a substantial chunk of the load. Noooooooooooo.....

They must have had a fundamental change in Philosophy for standard.
Either that, or the pendelum had swung so far to the side of creatures/threats the last few years, that they decided that they could go back to printing spells at the previous power level.

Most of this stuff is about their plan to dial up answers. Duress is a classic safety valve for all kinds of different issues. Spell Pierce is an efficient but very selective counter. Both, very pointedly, don't work on creatures at all. Both are really good if there are other strong non-creature spells in the environment but weak against dumb wall-of-guys creature decks. Neither is a free include but both can do a lot of work in many metas. Lightning Strike similarly ensures that more decks have solid anti-creature tools, esp. when overlapped with stuff like Abrade.

(I'm a bit less clear why they decided to go with Opt.)

MaRo did say on his podcast a month or two ago that they had made "the biggest change in the history of magic" in regards to how they approach the development of new sets. He said he would have an article out about it later in the fall when the set first the change affected get closer to release.

To be clear though this has to do with their process, not with their goals in set design. From the hints we have so far this is about replacing the "design -> development" process with a new one where the leadership of a set stays steady throughout the process and more of R&D are working in functional groups like Play Design.

Angry Grimace

yo! Has anything shown yet made my playset of Samuts I picket up for 7 bucks good??? anything???

I sincerely hope you mean the 5 mana creature Samut lol

I mean, Naya might be a decent color combo - most of the Dinos are in those colors.

There are a bunch of cards- Lightning Strike (or Searing Spear, ect), Negate, Naturalize, Banishing Light- that should be in standard at all times.

This was also their single biggest factor in bringing back Core Sets -- after dumping them they kept deciding in favor of individual set needs rather than shoehorning in these reprints and once they saw how that was working out they seriously regretted it.

I wasn't aware that they were.

They're not, Beatdown was white-bordered except a couple foil cards.

To be clear though this has to do with their process, not with their goals in set design. From the hints we have so far this is about replacing the "design -> development" process with a new one where the leadership of a set stays steady throughout the process and more of R&D are working in functional groups like Play Design.

It'd be interesting if they actually shortened the lead time on sets so they can actually be more reactive and not lag behind as much as they do. Them not being able to react quickly is one of the reasons they got into this mess.

Angry Grimace

Actually, I'm not even sure I remember what removal is still legal and what isn't at this point (meaning post-Ixalan).

Murder, Anguished Unmaking, Stasis Snare, Grasp of Darkness are rotating. Fatal Push isn't wonderful in Standard, Unlicensed Disintigration is 2 colors and the upside is contingent, etc.

I mean, we have Walk the Plank, but sorcery speed against red aggro feels bad, man.

y2dvd

Wow I'm excited to play control again. I'm thinking it goes Grixis. You get access to so many cheap removals, to the Scarab God and to Bolas, along with Duress in the sb. I can see more copies of Torrential being played.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Koth requires you to commit to full red and Chandra doesn't hit people. Hazoret is decent as a 1 of in shadow decks because they go hellbent due to liliana
I don't see any shadow decks I could find playing Hazoret. In fact those decks don't seem to play any 4 cmc cards.

Angry Grimace

I have no idea if Dinosaurs are going to be a good deck, but I would surmise that the first four cards you probably put into are all Chandra, Torch of Defiance at a clip of $140 a set.

But again, I digress in that I don't know why you'd necessarily want to ramp up to big dinos when Gearhulk is already better than most of them for a reasonable 5 mana.

Firemind

I have no idea if Dinosaurs are going to be a good deck, but I would surmise that the first four cards you probably put into are all Chandra, Torch of Defiance at a clip of $140 a set.

But again, I digress in that I don't know why you'd necessarily want to ramp up to big dinos when Gearhulk is already better than most of them for a reasonable 5 mana.
There has to be a 3/3 dinosaur for RG, right?

Wow I'm excited to play control again. I'm thinking it goes Grixis. You get access to so many cheap removals, to the Scarab God and to Bolas, along with Duress in the sb. I can see more copies of Torrential being played.
the issue there is you want to be center blue and there's going to be 2 allied and only 1 set of enemy colours avaialable.

As such esper should have much better mana than grixis.

Angry Grimace

I definitely don't think lightning strike needs to be a core set staple

I mean, I see why they don't reprint it as often as people imagine though - even at double the cost of Bolt it very much changes the dynamic of Standard by enabling lots of decks to win by direct damage. It can't possibly be as annoying as the Stoke the Flames / Lightning Strike era though. You got ripped for shitloads of damage super early in that format. Stoke the Flames was a tilting fucking card.

the issue there is you want to be center blue and there's going to be 2 allied and only 1 set of enemy colours avaialable.

As such esper should have much better mana than grixis.

Even if there were the INN checklands, checklands are kind of bad in three color decks. Particularly when you're not living in fairy tale land where Ravnica Shocks + Checklands are a thing.

bigkrev

I definitely don't think lightning strike needs to be a core set staple

From Alpha to Magic 2015, we only had 2 core sets that did not have a 1-2 mana spell that did 3 to a creature or player

Alpha-4th edition: Bolt
5th: Incinerate
6th: Nothing
7th-9th: Volcanic Hammer
10th: Incinerate
M10-11: Bolt
M12: Incinerate
M13: Searing Spear
M14: nothing
M15: Lightning Strike

It's a basic effect that should exist in some form at all times in Standard

Tibalt pre-ordered for $20. There were a few pros claiming that being able to begin building a walker at turn 2 was a huge enough advantage to offset random discard. Of course, we all know how that eventually panned out.

Top Bottom