• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Lucario

They found another box of the Yosei playmats and ARE GIVING THEM OUT WITH EVERY EVENT REGISTRATION WHAT THE FUCK

I'm signing up for every event and I'm screaming

Boogiepop

So guys, what would you say is the best place to pick up physical singles online? With the note that I'm solely looking to spruce up my Commander Cat deck, so it wouldn't be in bulk (so if shipping is a significant cost, that'd hurt a good bit). Also, pretty casual, so not overly concerned about condition. Like, wouldn't want to pay a moderate amount for something that's falling apart or anything, but I certainly don't need it to be mint condition.

Santiako

So guys, what would you say is the best place to pick up physical singles online? With the note that I'm solely looking to spruce up my Commander Cat deck, so it wouldn't be in bulk (so if shipping is a significant cost, that'd hurt a good bit). Also, pretty casual, so not overly concerned about condition. Like, wouldn't want to pay a moderate amount for something that's falling apart or anything, but I certainly don't need it to be mint condition.

That would depend on what country you're in.

Daedardus

I always like CoolStuffInc. Prices are reasonable for rares (might be expensive for bulk commons), shipping shouldn't be too much, they are always well packed when they arrive, never had issues with the grading and they have plenty of stock. And over time you get that nice 10% discount, which might give you the edge over other vendors for the expensive cards.

Triggered abilities that damage a player are another problem. Eidolon of the Great Revel and Guttersnipe will no longer be able to handle Planeswalkers without a hoop-jumping errata change.

This category is fairly easy though since the wording change is always the same -- "or a planeswalker he or she controls." The Blightning-type effects are the tough one since there's about 180 cards in this category and they have different enough effects that they'd need custom errata.

It's a marginal improvement as any substantial change in function would be bad.

Most of the functional elements of this come up very rarely. This change will be much less significant from a functional standpoint than either damage-on-the-stack change, for example. And the benefit of having cards actually do what they say they do in the long run is immeasurable.

Are planeswalkers the only (legendary) cards with a designated gender? I have never seen 'her controller' before.

Yes, planeswalkers are gendered in Oracle while creatures never are unless they transform into planeswalkers.

Boogiepop

...well damn! Looked through a stack of old cards I had inherited from my older brother back when I wasn't really playing, and I hadn't really ever given them a look. They were just kind of sitting in a box with old Pokemon cards and junk. And... amongst other things, there was a Tropical Island and a Bayou just casually hanging out in there (white border, if it matters)!

Also, just a ton of old cards, some of which I remember, a lot of which I don't, many of which are weird. Like, a lot of Ice Age stuff for sure (hey there, Snow Covered lands! And one dude with the most useful of keyword abilities: "Snow-covered forestwalk". Also, plenty of stuff with just no set symbol in general).

Of course it's empty, nothing about this event makes sense.

I think the fact it's happening in Rhode Island (yes, I know where Hasbro was founded; no one cares) is really the piece d'resistance.

Like if you did it in LA or NYC or Vegas you'd at least be able to get a decent amount of cross-traffic just on idle curiosity and basic convenience.

PsionBolt

Are planeswalkers the only (legendary) cards with a designated gender? I have never seen 'her controller' before.

Sort of -- they've also done it on legendary creatures if you count the front side of the sparkers from Origins. Still the planeswalker characters, but on a creature card.
...return him to the battlefield...
YWcHgbS.jpg

Boogiepop

Oh wow. Looking through the reserved list to make sure I don't have anything else of value in this stack. And I don't have it, but I saw Chaos Orb. Wow, that's... certainly something.

Oh wow. Looking through the reserved list to make sure I don't have anything else of value in this stack. And I don't have it, but I saw Chaos Orb. Wow, that's... certainly something.

There's a story Mark Rosewater tells about how when he was just starting to play Magic, people would tell him he had to space out his cards specifically to avoid it.

Boogiepop

Um... so, wait. Just looking at Amazon and googling a site for MTG card values... the Bayou and Tropical Island I randomly found (which seem to be either Unlimited or Revised, don't know the difference) are showing values of like $150-250. Is... is that accurate? I knew there was value there, but I assumed like, $40 or so, which is still a lot to me for a card, but probably wouldn't be something worth the pain of trying to sell "right." But... that's a bit much to just sit on and keep as a "haha, I own rare cards that don't actually noteably boost my casual commander deck" (The new Cats, so W/G. So I could technically throw those in and they COULD be of more value than a basic land, but eh).

duals are extremely powerful in combination with fetchlands in commander but yeah if they are in good condition they are worth a ton and still a pretty penny even in terrible condition.

Boogiepop

duals are extremely powerful in combination with fetchlands in commander but yeah if they are in good condition they are worth a ton and still a pretty penny even in terrible condition.
Yeah, they look to be in, at least to my eyes, pretty darn good condition. I... may have to look into this further, because damn... that's a lot for a single card.

noquarter

Yeah, they look to be in, at least to my eyes, pretty darn good condition. I... may have to look into this further, because damn... that's a lot for a single card.
Do they start by saying "Counts as both ~ and ~." ? If so they are unlimited. If they have a tap symbol they are revised.

Either way, congrats on the find. If you want to pump up your decks, one of the easiest ways might be just getting store credit for them. Most stores hold the credit, so you don't have to use it all at once and the bonus makes it so it isn't as bad as just selling.

Selling online is always dangerous, as lots of people will attempt to rip you off, either saying they didn't get them or that they are counterfeit. Not trying to scare you, just watch out.

Boogiepop

Do they start by saying "Counts as both ~ and ~." ? If so they are unlimited. If they have a tap symbol they are revised.

Either way, congrats on the find. If you want to pump up your decks, one of the easiest ways might be just getting store credit for them. Most stores hold the credit, so you don't have to use it all at once and the bonus makes it so it isn't as bad as just selling.

Selling online is always dangerous, as lots of people will attempt to rip you off, either saying they didn't get them or that they are counterfeit. Not trying to scare you, just watch out.
Ah, they have the tap symbol, so Revised it is, then.

And thanks for the advice! I'll look into that, then, yeah.

at this caliber of cards no one reputable will buy them w/o asking for scans to check for counterfeits and requiring tracked shipping.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's awkward for sure, but having all Standard and Limited cards (after a certain point) say the right stuff and all cards' Oracle wordings will still be a big improvement in the long run.

I honestly don't think it is. There isn't an elegant solution because of the number of cards designed around either no planeswalkers or the rule specifically. I'm struggling to think how you could elegantly re-write the rule in a way that doesn't functionally change the rules.

Targeted effects will definitely still be able to damage planeswalkers, judging from Burning Sun's Avatar. Non-targeted effects are the big question mark.

they said as much but mtgo cards are getting errata'd on the displayed card except textless cards remain textless and if a player isn't paying attention to the rules update and points a bolt at a player as usual when he needed to target a PW now he'll be unable to undo it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My proposed solution: keep redirection rule but going forward include Planeswalkers in non-creature damage sources even though it's technically redundant, e.g. "CARDNAME deals 3 damage to target creature, player or planeswalker." It's a legal wording despite the theoretical redundancy. The only problem I would see with that is the fact that if something cares whether an effect targets a permanent you would have the theoretical possibility of rules-lawyering to target a player and then redirecting to get around it. That's also a problem for errataing cards as well, though since you right now you cannot cast Turn Aside ("Counter target spell that targets a permanent you control") to avoid your Planeswalker dying to a Lightning Bolt, but errata'ing out the redirection rule would allow you to do that.

My proposed solution: keep redirection rule but going forward include Planeswalkers in non-creature damage sources even though it's technically redundant, e.g. "CARDNAME deals 3 damage to target creature, player or planeswalker." It's a legal wording despite the theoretical redundancy. The only problem is the fact that if something cares whether an effect targets a permanent you would have the theoretical possibility of rules-lawyering to target a player and then redirecting to get around it.
that's a bad solution as the text would essentially be a trick as in most circumstances targeting the player is the better line revealing less information and even worse there's cards that only counter spells targeting you and spells that counter only spells targeting permanents you control

I'm struggling to think how you could elegantly re-write the rule in a way that doesn't functionally change the rules.

You can't, that's why you fundamentally change the rules. This is in the territory with things like the damage on the stack change -- significant change but one that addresses some issues once it's in place.

Angry Grimace

You can't, that's why you fundamentally change the rules. This is in the territory with things like the damage on the stack change -- significant change but one that addresses some issues once it's in place.
I am also struggling to come up with a big benefit of doing massive functional errata other than just saying you did it. It largely revolves around "but casuals" except it doesn't matter very much for casuals. They're playing at kitchen tables. Who cares if they get it wrong? It's not actually worth making it so every rando EDH player has to constantly check oracle to figure out how their cards work.

I'm glad to see the Scarab God doing work because I'm still pretty disappointed in the Amonkhet crop.

Hazoret's fine if you're in RDW and Rhonas is a useful combo piece, but when I think "God" I think "something you splash for in appropriate decks", not a middling maybe-include in very specific decks. I get they were still gunshy after Eldrazi, but hopefully the Grixis Gods are about right for where they settled on big splashy creatures sitting in Standard.

I am also struggling to come up with a big benefit of doing massive functional errata other than just saying you did it.

There's nothing that's better for long-term retention of a player than getting them into casual public play (i.e. store commander leagues, FNM, prereleases, etc.) and nothing that kills the interest of a kitchen-table player than getting owned by some fuckstick nerd with a rules interaction that doesn't appear on the cards. The number of cards already printed is always finite and the numberr still to be printed is infinite, so when you sit down to crunch it out it's almost always worth doing eventually if you can get away with it.

Now, in a vacuum this particular one maybe isn't quite enough even with that in mind, but Arena changes the math -- you absolutely can't have it work the way it does in paper in your new streaming-friendly digital platform, and once you acknowledge that the only real approach left is to bite the bullet and kill the rule in paper too.

I am also struggling to come up with a big benefit of doing massive functional errata other than just saying you did it. It largely revolves around "but casuals" except it doesn't matter very much for casuals. They're playing at kitchen tables. Who cares if they get it wrong? It's not actually worth making it so every rando EDH player has to constantly check oracle to figure out how their cards work.

Agree here. Even though it was 100% incorrect, when my friend taught me when we were 10 that Creature Bond did something differently because there was a woman painted on the art instead of a man, we still had fun playing magic:

9022_200w.jpg

Angry Grimace

There's nothing that's better for long-term retention of a player than getting them into casual public play (i.e. store commander leagues, FNM, prereleases, etc.) and nothing that kills the interest of a kitchen-table player than getting owned by some fuckstick nerd with a rules interaction that doesn't appear on the cards. The number of cards already printed is always finite and the numberr still to be printed is infinite, so when you sit down to crunch it out it's almost always worth doing eventually if you can get away with it.

Now, in a vacuum this particular one maybe isn't quite enough even with that in mind, but Arena changes the math -- you absolutely can't have it work the way it does in paper in your new streaming-friendly digital platform, and once you acknowledge that the only real approach left is to bite the bullet and kill the rule in paper too.
It's not really that hard of a rule to grok though.

Yeef

My proposed solution: keep redirection rule but going forward include Planeswalkers in non-creature damage sources even though it's technically redundant, e.g. "CARDNAME deals 3 damage to target creature, player or planeswalker." It's a legal wording despite the theoretical redundancy. The only problem I would see with that is the fact that if something cares whether an effect targets a permanent you would have the theoretical possibility of rules-lawyering to target a player and then redirecting to get around it. That's also a problem for errataing cards as well, though since you right now you cannot cast Turn Aside ("Counter target spell that targets a permanent you control") to avoid your Planeswalker dying to a Lightning Bolt, but errata'ing out the redirection rule would allow you to do that.
The biggest problem with this solution is the ambiguity it creates. With the redirection rule, I can say "bolt your Jace" as a shortcut to "bolt you, redirect to Jace on resolution." With this change, if I say "Bolt your Jace,"and you try to play Rebuff the Wicked in response, now it's ambiguous if I meant bolt you and redirect or if I meant bolt Jace directly. This leads to all sort of weird angle-shooting situations on both sides, but even if neither player is trying to do that, it will lead to a feel-bad situation for one of them. It gets especially hairy with damage prevention effects.

Lucario

In retrospect hascon was great. Tons of staff, great judges, events running on time, free stuff everywhere. Glad I went. Lines for major events were also handled better than most long running cons I've been to.

If the prices are more reasonable next year I'd definitely go back. The sheer amount of free stuff given out was, like, first years of PAX levels of ridiculous.

It still doesn't make any sense as a con, and I didn't care about anything but the Magic stuff, but, like... going to a convention with a huge MTG focus that isn't an overcrowded nightmare like a GP was nice.

tl;dr it was great because it was empty.

Also, are we allowed to trade in this thread? because I'm realizing I have no idea what to do with 9 playmats lmao

Wulfric

Villeneuve has been posting some alters on twitter, this one in particular is great.

That's pretty creative. I really like when the original artists alter their own cards

Also, are we allowed to trade in this thread? because I'm realizing I have no idea what to do with 9 playmats lmao

I'll trade cards/GP playmats for the Chris Rahn dragon playmat. You can find me on FurryGAF Discord.

Daedardus

In retrospect hascon was great. Tons of staff, great judges, events running on time, free stuff everywhere. Glad I went. Lines for major events were also handled better than most long running cons I've been to.

If the prices are more reasonable next year I'd definitely go back. The sheer amount of free stuff given out was, like, first years of PAX levels of ridiculous.

It still doesn't make any sense as a con, and I didn't care about anything but the Magic stuff, but, like... going to a convention with a huge MTG focus that isn't an overcrowded nightmare like a GP was nice.

tl;dr it was great because it was empty.

It's less of an actual convention and more of a direct marketing initiative. Hasbro uses this to spread word of their franchises, and you pay entrance and for the events to cover a part of their costs. However, they most likely intended to lose money on it and it doesn't matter to them, it bought them a bit of exposure. For them coverage online that they did an event is more important than those hundred people that attended it. Prices might have still been high relative to other cons, but I know these things aren't cheap to organise, especially when you can't get other advertisers on board.

Top Bottom