• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Santiako

Yeah, UW Control is good (even better now that they can have multiple Gideon in play), Jeskai control/tempo is great and Esper control is good but worse than the other two options. Even UB control put up some results in mtgo.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Rules Question:

I have a creature that my opponent uses Unquenchable Thirst on (Enchanted creature does not untap during its controllers untap step); can I use Act of Heroism (Untap target creature) to get around Unquenchable Thirst, at least for a turn?

Joe Molotov

Rules Question:

I have a creature that my opponent uses Unquenchable Thirst on (Enchanted creature does not untap during its controllers untap step); can I use Act of Heroism (Untap target creature) to get around Unquenchable Thirst, at least for a turn?

Yes, it can still be untapped by other spells and effects.

Unfortunately, modern pro tours skew towards constructed, with only 6 draft rounds and top 8 being constructed. Which is weird? When any player wants to build a competitive constructed deck, he/she would likely either trade or buy from the secondary market, which doesn't really benefit Wizards. Sure, third parties open a lot of product to sell singles, but I assume it's only a fraction of product sold worldwide. Therefore it makes sense to promote limited as much as constructed.

People just hate watching limited. It's possible there are ways to crack this nut but if so, WotC hasn't found them and may not necessarily be in a spot where they could plausibly apply them anyway.

I'd love to see non-team limited die at the PT level.

I'm very sympathetic to Firemind's position that being a top player should take into account your skill in draft, which is very hard to do with limited as a GP-only affair. That said: I literally never watch the limited rounds in any PT, so.

kirblar

I'm very sympathetic to Firemind's position that being a top player should take into account your skill in draft, which is very hard to do with limited as a GP-only affair. That said: I literally never watch the limited rounds in any PT, so.
I'm not a fan of formats where you can just be randomly hosed by other people around you. (see: me not being a fan of multiplayer) There's of course skill, but the variance involved there is a different type relative to either Sealed or Constructed.

Or even team draft, where half the point is to screw the people sitting next to you. :p

Firemind

I'm not a fan of formats where you can just be randomly hosed by other people around you. (see: me not being a fan of multiplayer) There's of course skill, but the variance involved there is a different type relative to either Sealed or Constructed.

Or even team draft, where half the point is to screw the people sitting next to you. :p
If everyone screws each other just a little bit, you can 3-0 with a bad deck. You just need to adapt and switch.

Draft is a more skill intensive format than Standard and arguing otherwise makes you wrong.

kirblar

If everyone screws each other just a little bit, you can 3-0 with a bad deck. You just need to adapt and switch.

Draft is a more skill intensive format than Standard and arguing otherwise is kind of wrong.
It emphasizes different skills. Not "more" skills.

I would be all for a Modern/Standard PT that axed limited.

watching a draft is exciting, watching limited decks being played is the most boring shit.

Seriously wouldn't mind if they just prerecorded all the drafts then analysed them for 8 hours instead and made the audience guess the records and such.
Heck I'd be fine if record didn't matter and instead a jury consisting of LSV, Huey Jennsen, Patrick Chapin and Patrick Sullivan rated their drafting skills, form and landing in a demeaning manner.

Firemind

It emphasizes different skills. Not "more" skills.

I would be all for a Modern/Standard PT that axed limited.
I think draft is the most comparable to Texas Hold em since you all share the same 'deck', which I agree requires different skills like you said.

I just don't agree that draft is where you can get randomly hosed when Modern has a bunch of hosers that completely screws a particular deck if you happen to draw it.

kirblar

watching a draft is exciting, watching limited decks being played is the most boring shit.

Seriously wouldn't mind if they just prerecorded all the drafts then analysed them for 8 hours instead and made the audience guess the records and such.
Heck I'd be fine if record didn't matter and instead a jury consisting of LSV, Huey Jennsen, Patrick Chapin and Patrick Sullivan rated their drafting skills, form and landing in a demeaning manner.
It's much, much easier to conceptualize what a gameplan is for a constructed deck is relative to a limited one as a viewer.

Tunoku

While Limited does indeed emphasize different skills, if you have to compare it to Constructed, I do believe that it's more skill intensive overall. Getting better at Limited just means you're getting better at the game in general. But with Constructed, you could grind away and become a Legacy Storm master. That doesn't necessarily mean you'd be crushing it with other decks. Ultimately, it's kinda pointless to argue about. Magic is hard, no matter what format you play.

Ashodin

out of my buy a box promo

dzfR0Ft.jpg

it was meant to be

It's much, much easier to conceptualize what a gameplan is for a constructed deck is relative to a limited one as a viewer.
because wizards sucks at providing you information, they finally after years managed to procure decklists to be displayed on the screen for limited decks. They don't have a tracking tool that can tell you what cards players have in hand, or what's on the battlefield but it's a baby step.

In constructed you see a couple cards and you already have a significant notion how the deck looks.

kirblar

because wizards sucks at providing you information, they finally after years managed to procure decklists to be displayed on the screen for limited decks. They don't have a tracking tool that can tell you what cards players have in hand, or what's on the battlefield but it's a baby step.

In constructed you see a couple cards and you already have a significant notion how the deck looks.
That's not it. It's that limited decks are pretty rando, while you can easily grasp what a constructed deck is doing. What you see as a downside is a big upside for viewers.

Zhi's IBC PT win is the epitome of what you can reward in Constructed that you can't in limited.

Justin

I pretty much exclusively play limited so I enjoy the limited portions of the GP/PTs here is what I want.

- chaos drafts! Let's get real janky. Chaos drafts using all standard sets
- cube drafts at PTs
- for team GP/PTs drop the Legacy person and make it a draft player.
- for sealed, film the teams opening their pools and building their decks. I want to see the deliberation

Now you can all tell me how wrong I am.

kirblar

I pretty much exclusively play limited so I enjoy the limited portions of the GP/PTs here is what I want.

- chaos drafts! Let's get real janky. Chaos drafts using all standard sets
- cube drafts at PTs
- for team GP/PTs drop the Legacy person and make it a draft player.
- for sealed, film the teams opening their pools and building their decks. I want to see the deliberation

Now you can all tell me how wrong I am.
#4 is good.

The rest are bad, #1/2 are casual content.

That's not it. It's that limited decks are pretty rando, while you can easily grasp what a constructed deck is doing. What you see as a downside is a big upside for viewers.
Why are you abbreviating Invasion Block Constructed as if that meant something, I was 7 years old.

Zhi's IBC PT win is the epitome of what you can reward in Constructed that you can't in limited.
limited decks are only random when you don't know the contents. You don't know the outs a player is playing towards, you don't know the strategy of the deck.
You're thrown into the unknown w/o resources to get a clearer picture.

Casters scratching their heads trying to identify cards in hand has no upside.
Also they should really document sideboarding, that's a really undervalued skill and gets barely any mention.

Can someone explain to me the appeal of those lands Ashodin posted? The artist?

Rebecca Guay used to be a frequent Magic artist, but she's made her name as a "proper" artist and is far too expensive for normal card commissions. She's only used for special art like this.

Plus, she's a very divisive artist, because some thought her art wasn't cool or manly enough, but her fans really liked her art. This is referenced in this Unhinged card.
61.jpg

Sandfox

I'm planning on starting back up and after looking around will probably try out a budget Ramunap Red deck to relearn with. Some of the new stuff looks like fun, but I don't really want to wait until the prices drop.

Justin

Pretty fun first day of the new standard. Lots of new cards improving old decks (Azcanta, Hostsge Taker) and a few new neat janky decks (Grixis Amulet). Approach is 9-0.

Edit: I also can't believe someone brought a version of Marionette deck we have been joking about for a few weeks here.

Repgnar

I forgot this Tezzeret existed, looked decent but he kinda had the nuts. Every card of his traded up while decandeo was flooding.

Emblems too strong reprint Karn.

I mean he ended the day 7-1-1 so obviously the deck is doing something right. Still have another day to go so we'll see how it does but it looks interesting.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Rebecca Guay used to be a frequent Magic artist, but she's made her name as a "proper" artist and is far too expensive for normal card commissions. She's only used for special art like this.

Plus, she's a very divisive artist, because some thought her art wasn't cool or manly enough, but her fans really liked her art. This is referenced in this Unhinged card.
61.jpg

Shit, that's awesome. Her cards are expensive, too.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

61.jpg

I don't think she is actually a big time gallery artist and refuses to do Magic.

I think it costs too much to afford to commission her for anything.

Ashodin

Pretty fun first day of the new standard. Lots of new cards improving old decks (Azcanta, Hostsge Taker) and a few new neat janky decks (Grixis Amulet). Approach is 9-0.

Edit: I also can't believe someone brought a version of Marionette deck we have been joking about for a few weeks here.

Marionette Affinity (basically) is no joke. It's basically the fixed version of what Affinity used to do.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

You might (not) be surprised just how many players absolutely despise draft. The fact it is legitimately hard as hell is probably why, but I know dozens of players and the only one that enjoys both constructed and draft is me.

Top Bottom