• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Justin

Thinking of picking up a couple of Vraskas tonight. I feel like she could go up if she sees play this weekend. She seemed really good when she got played at the SCG event last weekend. Vraska's contempt is also up a few bucks in the last few days.

bigkrev

Our store allowed that for Modern Masters 1, but they were also charging $15 a pack for MM1 and if they were sold out you were OOL

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think Vraska is particularly good.

If you're paying 6 mana for a Planeswalker it probably needs to do more when it comes into play than 1-for-1 your opponent.

DrArchon

Yeah, but 6 mana is an awful lot to hope she lives 2 turns.

I mean, if you don't kill something asap with her she comes down with 8 loyalty and a body. At that point she really only fears stuff like Never and Vraska's Contempt.

I can see her sticking around for a while if the opponent isn't playing black.

DrArchon

I want to try her out in an Abzan Tokens deck, just because flooding the board with 2/2 menace tokens and occasionally killing guys seems really good. Shouldn't be too hard to further protect her with stuff like Dusk either.

Not sure what other green cards I'd add though. Not-Gaea's Cradle is cool, but the front half is so lackluster. I wish there were more go wide green cards.

Our store allowed that for Modern Masters 1, but they were also charging $15 a pack for MM1 and if they were sold out you were OOL

Yeah I think this is kind of different for a Masters set where the potential upside scenario is enormous and it's clearly feel-bad to make people think about bouncing completely. For most standard sets there's so few cases where a whole booster is measurably bonkers (as opposed to just opening one crazy good card) that I feel pretty okay about just making someone burn their draft pick to get $100 or whatever.

kirblar

Like, stores shouldn't be doing redrafts, so insano-packs have always been fine. You get an insane card, so does your neighbor.

Ashodin

watching hoogland play tezzerator

Stream comment "Man The Scarab God is really good"

Can confirm it is some grade A bullshit

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There are pirates that make incidentally, treasures

There aren't any good ones.

Treasure isn't a constructed mechanic unless you're doing something that specifically requires using them to do something weird like playing Marionette Master.

watching hoogland play tezzerator

Stream comment "Man The Scarab God is really good"

Can confirm it is some grade A bullshit
If your deck is blue or black and can splash for another colour you should really be asking yourself why you aren't running old G to the Scarab.
There aren't any good ones.

Treasure isn't a constructed mechanic unless you're doing something that specifically requires using them to do something weird like playing Marionette Master.
This. A treasure deck wants a better rate than 6 mana and 2 turns for 2 treasures.

Ashodin

oh I mean Scarab Gangsta is super good in Tezzerator. When it comes down people are just like "aw fuck"

You know what stops Scarab G? Counterspell.

Can't recur it if it never hit the board in the first place ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

oh I mean Scarab Gangsta is super good in Tezzerator. When it comes down people are just like "aw fuck"

Can't recur it if it never hit the board in the first place ¯_(ツ)_/¯
That's part of the reason I've been subbing a couple negates with Jace's Defeat instead.

I didn't realize when Spell Pierce got spoiled that Dispel was leaving. Standard w/o Dispel seems crazy.

Angry Grimace

Can't recur it if it never hit the board in the first place ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The problem with Tezzerator is that why would you not just play Hostage Taker and Scarab God if you're UB and those are just random good cards that don't do anything specific with either Tezzeret or the required artifact theme.

kirblar

The problem with Tezzerator is that why would you not just play Hostage Taker and Scarab God if you're UB and those are just random good cards that don't do anything specific with either Tezzeret or the required artifact theme.
Tezzerator is definitely a meta call. It attacks from an angle other decks likely won't be prepared for.

Angry Grimace

I mean, I like SaffronOlive but the dude just punts obvious play lines sooooo much.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I received my Inked playmat today. Pretty fucking awesome...

22289942_914802351992348_3497968675073177204_o.jpg

Angry Grimace

I don't think I've ever seen a series of punts like SaffronOlive in this game. He spent 20 minutes laughing and ignoring the chat telling him specifically what he was fucking up so his opponent went to 75 life and he lost on time. Like, we were practically shouting at him to get rid of Anointer Priest and not let him embalm them with 2 Anointed Processions and a Hidden Stockpile out but he just ignored it and then couldn't kill his opponent.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I don't think I've ever seen a series of punts like SaffronOlive in this game. He spent 20 minutes laughing and ignoring the chat telling him specifically what he was fucking up so his opponent went to 75 life and he lost on time.
Sounds hilarious

It does if you cast it off the flipped Primal Wellspring.

I traded mine for Vance's Blasting Cannons. :)

I don't think I've ever seen a series of punts like SaffronOlive in this game. He spent 20 minutes laughing and ignoring the chat telling him specifically what he was fucking up so his opponent went to 75 life and he lost on time. Like, we were practically shouting at him to get rid of Anointer Priest and not let him embalm them with 2 Anointed Processions and a Hidden Stockpile out but he just ignored it and then couldn't kill his opponent.

That's exactly why he's so entertaining. Which stream was this btw, I only watch the Youtube channels.

Ashodin

have you not yet figured out he fucks up on purpose because that's a gimmick?

red13th

I can't stand watching SaffronOlive, which is weird since I generally like his articles.

Justin

I started the SO stream to see what everyone was taking about and the first thing I heard was him getting caught vaping.

Top Bottom