• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
why hello there future set plant
Lqym28I.png

Yes. It was also a common.

Just another simple, boring, but playable Khans rare. The world's best Vulshok Morningstar is still a Vulshok Morningstar.

It was a mistake at common. Modern Masters had it at common, but was something entirely different - it was fine there.

This makes all of your morphs into colorless 4/4s with upside. While Morph is supposed to help the limited format play a little smoother, this thing would be obnoxious as all hell at uncommon.

Firemind

Trusty Machete was fine at uncommon (unless you had a Nighthawk).

This may be playable in a near mono brown standard deck with ornithopters and phyrexian invokers. Just need a few more cheap artifact creatures and/or good morphs. The rares spoiled so far have been overwhelming though. Where are my efficient bears and one-drops?

bigkrev

Trusty Machete was fine at uncommon (unless you had a Nighthawk).

This may be playable in a near mono brown standard deck with ornithopters and phyrexian invokers. Just need a few more cheap artifact creatures and/or good morphs. The rares spoiled so far have been overwhelming though. Where are my efficient bears and one-drops?

Because Zendikar is so stupid fast of a format that Trusty Machete isn't overpowered shouldn't be used as a case for cards in a normal limited environment.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's a conditional 5cmc 6/8 flier with a conditional lifelink trigger. At 5cmc, it gets played only after a boardwipe (assuming we do get a 4cmc wipe in KTK) can get played which renders both of its abilities pretty useless.

There isn't a 4 CMC wipe. Its not designed as a control finisher.

ultron87

I like this uncommon morph cycle a lot. The "free" morph cost is very cool and they are all likely reasonable cards played face up. Solid stuff for limited.

en_ue6a29uv2f.png
en_qunnogdyqv.png
en_w9hnjwf5dz.png

en_xv2mtiyyy4.png
en_h2ossinml6.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I like how the art for this morph cycle has the creatures popping out of that Morph-fireball thing they've been using to signify morph creatures for this block.

Angry Grimace

Also, from the Uncharted Realms:

"Some say that Narset possesses a secret potential inside her, a power or calling that will drive her to a greater purpose, but she remains dedicated to leading her clan."

dat planeswalker spark tho

Angry Grimace

The red one needs to be a 2/1 for R :(

They've never made 2 power 1 CMC red dudes without drawbacks. The blocking drawback isn't really a drawback since you don't block much in a sligh deck.

sgjackson

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";128286386]I really like the Ruthless Ripper. It's a Gray Ogre, Sedge Scorpion and a shock all in one.[/QUOTE]

only hits target player. still a solid limited card but not as gross as "shock your dude, block your big dude" would be for 3

Angry Grimace

bm1LQuB.png

"Flying Crane Technique," a.k.a, Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fighting

Instant

Untap all creatures you control. All creatures you control gain flying and double strike until end of turn.

Jeskai fucking owns, guys.

Found a trade for my Mox! I'll be getting an uneven split of 60 shocklands (at least a playset of each) and 4 Force of Will. Not too shabby!

Crocodile

From Marshall's article:

"No morph, when turned face up, will outright trump another face-down morph in combat for anything under five mana, across all rarities.

That's right, if you block a morph with your morph, and your opponent has less than five mana available, the other morph is not going to kill your morph and survive whether it's turned face up or not. If your opponent has five or more mana available, then all bets are off. This is something that will be very useful to you in the early stages of your first Khans of Tarkir Limited matches.

Usually, the morph cost is some amount of mana or another form of payment. With the cycle we have today, getting them turned face up costs no mana at all."

I can understand commons and uncommons but applying this to rares and mythics? Good job knee-capping this mechanic WOTC :/ RIP Exalted Angel 2.0 hopes

As an aside, how many morphs have seen T2 or older format play? I can think of Exalted Angel, Vesuvan Shapeshifter, Brine Elemental, Blistering Firecat (I think) and Thelonite Hermit. Any others?

kirblar

From Marshall's article:

"No morph, when turned face up, will outright trump another face-down morph in combat for anything under five mana, across all rarities.

That's right, if you block a morph with your morph, and your opponent has less than five mana available, the other morph is not going to kill your morph and survive whether it's turned face up or not. If your opponent has five or more mana available, then all bets are off. This is something that will be very useful to you in the early stages of your first Khans of Tarkir Limited matches.

Usually, the morph cost is some amount of mana or another form of payment. With the cycle we have today, getting them turned face up costs no mana at all."

I can understand commons and uncommons but applying this to rares and mythics? Good job knee-capping this mechanic WOTC :/ RIP Exalted Angel 2.0 hopes

As an aside, how many morphs have seen T2 or older format play? I can think of Exalted Angel, Vesuvan Shapeshifter, Brine Elemental, Blistering Firecat (I think) and Thelonite Hermit. Any others?
Exalted Angel was miserable. I very much like this approach.

I actually think Blistering Firecat is a likely reprint.

sgjackson

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";128306678]Quick as lightning, there is nothing so sudden and frightening as an assault from the Jeskai.[/QUOTE]

ahahahahaha

yeah this is exactly what I want

Kacar

Do your creatures have to be flying when you declare your attackers or can you use the instant and switch them to flying before blockers are declared? I was always confused on that with the blue paragon in m15.

ultron87

Do your creatures have to be flying when you declare your attackers or can you use the instant and switch them to flying before blockers are declared? I was always confused on that with the blue paragon in m15.

You can do it anytime before blockers are declared to make them not blockable by ground guys. Once they've been actually blocked it doesn't matter if they have flying or not. They stay blocked.

Angry Grimace

The correct way to do it is to attack with Narset, then cast it for free.

I like those uncommon no-mana morph cards. The black one in particular looks like it could be strong. Ghostfire Blade is more interesting for its flavor than its effect, especially with the Planeswalker's Guide mentioning the ghostflame in the Jeskai section. BTW, I don't really like how the guide portrays the Jeskai as being so perfect, and it's interesting how they go far more into the particulars of individual characters in the Sultai section than the others.

bigkrev

I feel like we have had more global enchantments spoiled in 3 days than we had in the entirety of a 3 set "enchantment" block

JulianImp

Can't. Justify. Flavor. *collapses*

Borborygmos confirmed for secret leader of whichever wedge the card is depicting!

If you mean the overall flavor of the card rather than just its flavor text, then I'm with you. Your guys get stronger for some reason, and you can pay life for warriors to loot cards for you?

ultron87

Yeah I meant the mechanics. Why would you get cards when your Warriors hit guys and steal their stuff to eat but only if you pay life?

Angry Grimace

I remember when the "upkeep" phase involved actually paying to upkeep your creatures and such. Now it's just "phase where your opponent fucks you before you can draw anything."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom