• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering

so I randomly decided that I would learn how to play Magic: The Gathering today

I was told playing through the Arena app on PC is the best way to learn.

I'm a little confused as to what I should expect once I start investing money into this game. if I buy physical cards to play in person, is there a way to link them to my online collection? or by playing online would I essentially need to pay for 2 separate collections of cards? seems like that might get pricey

now that the Arena app is out and popular, is there a way to start collecting the newer physical cards and have them uploaded online? or is this something where I should find out whether I'll be playing online vs in person and just invest there?

also this game is pretty confusing for a newcomer. I'm hoping by playing online I'll eventually get the hang of it. I'm surprised kids play this shit.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
MTGA is honestly a really fair business model

I play the shit out of it and have only spent like $40 in a year or so. Just buy the battle pass and if you play it you will be showered with cards and money to buy packs. If you wanna add me Ill show you some stuff shoot me a PM.

MTGA is honestly a really fair business model

I play the shit out of it and have only spent like $40 in a year or so. Just buy the battle pass and if you play it you will be showered with cards and money to buy packs. If you wanna add me Ill show you some stuff shoot me a PM.
Thanks! I ended up googling codes for booster packs and got a ton, not really sure when I'll use them though

I finished the intro tutorial this morning and am currently working on doing the Color Challenge as Ajani Goldmane

I'll PM you my user name but I think my time is probably best spent for now doing Color Challenge first so I learn more? I'm learning a ton getting through it

If you want to play paper, a more casual format like Commander is the easiest and cheapest to get into. Just buy a preconstructed deck and you're ready to go. The new Kaldheim commander decks are $20. Watch a couple videos on YouTube of Commander games (or EDH as it's often referred) and see if it's for you. I haven't been keeping up with Arena but I don't think it supports the Commander format yet outside of special events.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I had a friend who entered my gaming group. Really wanted to play Magic the Gathering, so I spent like 300.00 buying cards and making a cool deck. Then... the guy left and we never played again.

So I have a commander deck that I never use.

Top Bottom