• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Main characters who aren't on the box art

Altazor

LPHqddQ.jpg

He's the main antagonist, though. He's still a "main character" - but he's not, obviously, the protagonist.

Synth

If there has to be a main character from the MK games, it's Sub Zero. When they made that crappy beat em up, it was Sub Zero's character.

I refuse to consider the guy that's busy getting killed in pretty much all promotional material the main character. Scorpion though? Sure.

As for spin-off entries. I don't see Nina Williams being the main character in Tekken either.

Altazor

Another one:

QGvQRtK.png

neither Henry not Eileen (nor Walter) appear in the cover. But that ghost's ridiculously ugly mug does. Would've been fine without it - just the door and the locks and the chains.

Nvzman

Really though, it's a perfect recreation of both main characters combined.

Snake doesn't have hair like what is shown on the box art, and Raiden does not have facial hair. The face looks like a mix of both as well.
No, it's always looked like Snake with this style-istic smoke rising from him because of the art style MGS has.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Every Japanese Final Fantasy box art ever made.

Except for I, II, III, IV (assuming the first dude is Paladin Cecil, because the second is definitely Rosa), V, and VI (assuming Tina/Terra is the main character).

Helpful Info Edit: Basically, the "logo on white field" thing only applies after VII.

Fanboy edit: I'd kill if the Japanese version FFXV package was the logo on an all-BLACK field. It fits the tone, and the logo looks so good against black.

Toxi

Banned
When I think about it, as the Earthrealm's greatest champion I never see Liu Kang on the front cover throughout the series beside Shaolin Monks

Mortal-Kombat-Cover.jpg
The main character of Mortal Kombat 9's story mode is Raiden. His visions drive the story, his mistakes cause it's pitfalls, and he is the hero who you fight as in the final battle to end Shao Khan once and for all. Even the sections where Liu-Kang is "the main hero," he's still acting under Raiden's orders.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140411161707/vgost/images/7/74/20121126175122!Far_Cry_3_PAL_box_art.jpg

Jason is supposed to be that head in the sand, isn't he? Or is that his brother?

In any case, boxart was a bait-and-switch on me. Vaas > Jason.

Baleoce

I started thinking about what other main characters are not on the cover of the box art. Going back to Smash, Robin isn't on the cover of Fire Emblem Awakening either, though you could argue he is the co-main character with Chrom.
18fhhv53m1k9ojpg.jpg

Robin was an avatar, I don't think putting a hooded figure on the cover would be very appealing. One of the bad things about customizable characters, you have to find clever ways to represent them in cut scenes and what not. Glad they just went with both default looks in SSB4.

I definitely love FE:A's cover though.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
These 2 absolutely don't count,
the logo in both are the main character....FFXIII-2 is lightning in the logo again with some random dude next to him....
For FFXIII, it's Lightning on top of its summon!
Heck FFX's logo is Yuna dancing! FF logo are always topical somehow.

13's logo is fang and vanille (you could argue that lightning isn't the main character of 13 at all though)

and lightning is a propped up side character in 13-2

Jedi2016

Has anyone mentioned Bioshock Infinite, which as we heard before release, pretends Elizabeth does not exist so as to not put off the dudebros who only like to play as other dudes:
Came here to say this. You might play as Booker, but Elizabeth is undoubtedly the protagonist.
Okay, glad I wasn't going to be the first to point this one out.. hehe.

(Re: Silent Hill 2) Hahahah holy shit I just realized at this very moment that that's not James at all.
Wait, what? I've always thought that was James...

Iceblade

RE OP: I'd argue that the main characters of Xenoblade are the two giants and the Monado blade. Shulk takes a backseat in my opinion to the world that you traverse in the game and the sword itself. He's just a shell, or a vessel, for the story, to me.

Top Bottom