• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Having just beaten Twinmold I can safely say I'm not a fan of any of these boss changes, it feels like so close yet so far with a lot of them.
Conceptually the new Twinmold fight is a lot more interesting but I wasn't even sure if I was on the right track for a lot of the fight, it took forever.

A few more musings from wrapping up Ikana...

- Nothing like fighting King Ikana and friends with 5 minutes before moon decimation, I was determined to get through the castle late in day 3. Good thing time effectively pauses during dialogue or I'd have been moon crushed while learning the elegy of emptiness which mercifully now allows the slight time saving of skipping the cloning process scene.

- Stone Tower Temple, I think I've finally settled on how I feel about this dungeon. Structurally magnificent and makes use of variety of abilities, unfortunately not as enjoyable to actually play through for me. I like its mini bosses and new enemies within though.

- That last stray fairy you get the chest for before the boss room might as well have been one big middle finger to me seeing as I'd already reflipped the dungeon to get up to 14 fairies, my mistake that it was just for that one (I briefly forgot how to actually reach the boss room and went back to the standard dungeon) but even so, you could at least not lock that one door back down in the central chamber that would save a few minutes getting to said fairy on a return to the normal dungeon. In any event seeing a fairy chest spawn upside down is never a happy feeling.

- The neat small touch of entering the music house post Stone Tower completion on a cycle without having done the Gibdo mask business and the little girl still booting you out the house since she doesn't have any reason to like you.

- What is this elaborate troll of a magic bean patch outside the flipped stone tower entrance? never noticed this before and I was rewarded with wasting my time getting spring water for the second bean in the chest. Actually I had to laugh really, did I miss something here or are those three chests all that they've got there?

Going to tie up a few loose ends before going to the finale, not going to nab all the heart containers but it's nice to know that there's still more to do anyway, heck I haven't even fished yet.

zigg

All you do is swim in a straight line. They even added small currents to help you jump out of the water. What was newly frustrating?
To be fair, the original design wasn't exactly wondrous, but if you took the wrong route then you pretty much immediately did it again. There was no switch-triggering with associated aggravating cutscenes, there was no chance of missing the jump, you just went for it. It was a meh dungeon design that managed not to offend through sheer efficiency, whereas the new design is meh and offensive.

Link leaving before a celebration is just what he does. He's a wandering hero: he comes upon a strange land, fixes its problems, and heads out to do it all over again.

And I'm not sure what makes the Happy Mask Salesman's dialogue "bland." His line about meetings and partings is probably one of the most memorable of the entire series. He didn't need to offer any game-changing line, just a summation of its themes.

Yeah, exactly.
Those lines by the HMS at the end are iconic now.

emb

Can you complete the Couple's Mask quest if you kill him? lol
I don't think you can even if you just hit him normally. I tried once and he never
showed up to go into his hideout later.

Maybe I just missed another part of the quest that time though.

Guru-Guru

Banned
If they were to make a spinoff which was just one Skulltula House after the other, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Love them.
There is something really satisfying about hearing that annoying scrunching noise, knowing that there is one more Skulltula in this room, managing to kill it, then finally silence.

I would have enjoyed 1 or 2 more Skulltula houses in MM for sure.

Effect

Finally started playing and kinda lost. So far I've gotten a few songs (Soaring, the one that slows down time and allows me to skip ahead to any hour I want.) though and went back in time once. So I should be okay to start exploring now right?

I had no clue you could slow time down. I always figured, all these years, you were constantly going back and in time and redoing events and had to work within the time flowing normally.

Speaking of which do you have to redo events every time you go back in time? Or is there a point where you've completed things? For example to stop the old woman from being robbed. Is that something I have to do every time I go back in time or is there a point I get something and then can just ignore that event? Meaning there is no true finished state for some of these things in the book?

zigg

I don't think you can even if you just hit him normally. I tried once and he never
showed up to go into his hideout later.

Maybe I just missed another part of the quest that time though.
He needs to show up at the Curiosity Shop with the bomb bag for Kafei to see him.

Mistle

Weird, I warped to the first day and the music from the final minutes kept playing! As well as the Day 1 clocktown music, they were both playing at once.

Roto13

Finally started playing and kinda lost. So far I've gotten a few songs (Soaring, the one that slows down time and allows me to skip ahead to any hour I want.) though and went back in time once. So I should be okay to start exploring now right?

I had no clue you could slow time down. I always figured, all these years, you were constantly going back and in time and redoing events and had to work within the time flowing normally.

Speaking of which do you have to redo events every time you go back in time? Or is there a point where you've completed things? For example to stop the old woman from being robbed. Is that something I have to do every time I go back in time or is there a point I get something and then can just ignore that event? Meaning there is no true finished state for some of these things in the book?

Every event and schedule entry has a finished state. It's when you get all of the rewards from that person or event. You keep those things when you reset time.

You can keep the rewards (bigger wallet, bomb bag, quiver, pieces of heart, all the usual zelda stuff) but the events always happen again once you reset. I feel a little bad knowing all the bad things that are happening to the people each cycle as I do dungeons, etc. :)

Once you beat a boss in a dungeon, a portal will permanently open up allowing you to jump straight to the boss room and re-play the boss during subsequent cycles, without having to play the whole dungeon again.

Having just beaten Twinmold I can safely say I'm not a fan of any of these boss changes, it feels like so close yet so far with a lot of them.
Conceptually the new Twinmold fight is a lot more interesting but I wasn't even sure if I was on the right track for a lot of the fight, it took forever.

If you didn't see my above post, the boulders made a fool out of me. And four cycles for phase 2...rly guys

braves01

Banned
- What is this elaborate troll of a magic bean patch outside the flipped stone tower entrance? never noticed this before and I was rewarded with wasting my time getting spring water for the second bean in the chest. Actually I had to laugh really, did I miss something here or are those three chests all that they've got there?

I couldn't find anything else there either. Really Nintendo, you made me warp to get spring water and beans for this ish?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Finished Majora's Mask 3D. I had a big grin on my face during the credit, such a beautiful game.... Now I am sad that my time in Termina has come to an end and I must move onwards to a new adventure. <(;____;)>

Gonna play Twilight Princess sometime soon

Effect

Every event and schedule entry has a finished state. It's when you get all of the rewards from that person or event. You keep those things when you reset time.

You can keep the rewards (bigger wallet, bomb bag, quiver, pieces of heart, all the usual zelda stuff) but the events always happen again once you reset. I feel a little bad knowing all the bad things that are happening to the people each cycle as I do dungeons, etc. :)

Once you beat a boss in a dungeon, a portal will permanently open up allowing you to jump straight to the boss room and re-play the boss during subsequent cycles, without having to play the whole dungeon again.

Thanks!

Is there a reason you'd have to go after the bosses again? Or is that a spoiler for the end of the game?

Peff

Thanks!

Is there a reason you'd have to go after the bosses again? Or is that a spoiler for the end of the game?

Killing a boss switches that area to its non-cursed status, which in turns creates new events needed to complete some of the sidequests.

Neiteio

New Twinmold is simple.

Chuck a boulder. Knock him to the ground. Swing dat shit. Spin the stick to deal more damage.

Repeat the above with the second boulder.

If you've been spinning the stick, it only takes one more round. He flies at you. You roll out of his way. You immediately roll back. Punch, punch, punch. He flies back for a second pass. Repeat. And then the third pass. Repeat.

Do this all before he goes underground, and he will crash. And you swing dat shit. You spin dat stick. You write "dat" instead of "that." And you win.

*crosses arms*

New Twinmold is legit.

quabba

I almost stopped going through great bay temple because I was running out of time and I made it into the boss room with 1hour left before warping out and resetting the timeline and when I got back to the temple the warp point was active!

So I guess technically you just need to use the boss key/enter the room to triggerthe warp.

I still need to go through again for the stray fairies.

If you didn't see my above post, the boulders made a fool out of me. And four cycles for phase 2...rly guys
The boulders is general are such an odd thing.
I effectively wasted mine seeing as I missed with the first and hit with the second after already landing many punches.
I'm still not even sure exactly what it takes to knock twinmold down fully for the big throw.

I couldn't find anything else there either. Really Nintendo, you made me warp to get spring water and beans for this ish?
I bet those designers were having a right chuckle implementing this cruel joke, those magic beans just don't have a good track record for me.
At least the red gem to invert the area is now hittable without having the shift the platforms, slightly less time wasted between warps.

Megasoum

Banned
I started playing the game for the first time ever yesterday and loving it so far (just got to the swamp area).

Is there anything that you can miss in the game? That's the only kind of thing that I hate in games.

I imagine the fact that you can rewind time helps avoiding this issue but I'm still wondering.

Just got up to Twinmold.

Wow, this new fight is super confusing. I was able to get past the first form, but once I had to go mega I became so confused. I threw the rock at it and attacked, but after that I had no idea what to do. There were no more rocks and enemies just kept attacking me. It became the final moments of the last day and I had to reset.

It's awesome to see the game not pull any punches and continue to challenge me. I thought the new look to the Giant's Mask variant of Link was a little goofy looking though.

The boulders is general are such an odd thing.
I effectively wasted mine seeing as I missed with the first and hit with the second after already landing many punches.
I'm still not even sure exactly what it takes to knock twinmold down fully for the big throw.

Like 20 punches :l

Just got up to Twinmold.

Wow, this new fight is super confusing. I was able to get past the first form, but once I had to go mega I became so confused. I threw the rock at it and attacked, but after that I had no idea what to do. There were no more rocks and enemies just kept attacking me. It became the final moments of the last day and I had to reset.

sad-i-know-that-feel-bro-l.png

I think the devs were a bit too in love with their own design.

"Instead of making it take six or eight punches, lets make it take like 15"

"Instead of making it two cycles like the first form, let's make it four"

"dammit, it took me months to get those new Giant Mask striking animations down and I'm going to make sure people see enough of them, what if they never find out you can hold B to deliver a shockwave strike or that there's two different throw animations depending on position?! with that in mind add another cycle with double the mooks!"

Shaanyboi

Banned
I feel like there are a lot more changes to quest design than originally revealed.... either that or I seriously don't remember as much of this as I thought.

"dammit, it took me months to get those new Giant Mask striking animations down and I'm going to make sure people see enough of them, what if they never find out you can hold B to deliver a shockwave strike or that there's two different throw animations depending on position?! with that in mind add another cycle with double the mooks!"

...what ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

Neiteio

Wait, even I didn't know there's a shockwave attack. And I know everything.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I think the devs were a bit too in love with their own design.

"Instead of making it take six or eight punches, lets make it take like 15"

"Instead of making it two cycles like the first form, let's make it four"

Agreed, it just draaaged on, ruined my plan for the rest of the day cause me to reset to tackle the last two side-quest.

Meh.

Sword>>>>giant fist, it will remain forever unseen by my eyes.

I expected a spinning lariat, instead I got a floor shaking strike that can unearth the mini twinmold mooks if they're close enough to Link's impact.
Unfortunately I don't think it does the same for the real deal when it goes digging, I certainly did try.

Wow, that's...useful...
(I just spammed rolls to kill the baby Twinmolds...where's that Dark Souls gif...)

Currently trying to think if there's any other Zelda bosses in series history that have a non-respawning environmental object to use that also doesn't end the phase.

owlbeak

So how do I get Kuome to offer me her target shooting game? I've completed woodfall temple but she is still offering me boat rides.

Neiteio

Twinmold is a bit opaque in that its hit counter seems to reset every time it burrows underground. So say it takes 10 punches to knock it down. If you get in nine and it digs underground, it's back to square one. Which is uncharacteristically cryptic of Nintendo.

Knowing how to fight him, he's a great battle and a spectacular finish to Stone Tower Temple. But I can see how he makes a rough first impression.

Twinmold is a bit opaque in that its hit counter seems to reset every time it burrows underground. So say it takes 10 punches to knock it down. If you get in nine and it digs underground, it's back to square one. Which is uncharacteristically cryptic of Nintendo.

Knowing how to fight him, he's a great battle and a spectacular finish to Stone Tower Temple. But I can see how he makes a rough first impression.

Can you even get more than nine hits on a single run? He always seemed to make three passes before burrowing, and I generally managed a three hit combo on each pass. Giant Link's gimped mobility didn't make getting into position very easy.

Neiteio

Can you even get more than nine hits on a single run? He always seemed to make three passes before burrowing, and I generally managed a three hit combo on each pass. Giant Link's gimped mobility didn't make getting into position very easy.
My "10-hit" number was pulled out of my ass for the purposes of an example. Although I think you can get four hits per pass, so possibly 12 hits per round.

Top Bottom