• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maka Wuhu is ruining Mario Kart 7.

Just put a damn fence in that part of Maka Wuhu.

The saddest part is, the Wuhu levels are the best levels in the game, in my opinion, but one of them is ruined by this glitch.

test_account

XP-39C²
From what I remember, the actual patching thing was recently implemented in development kits; so guess that to use them that way the games need to be made with that in mind (and Mario Kart 7 was in development since... at least last year).

Before that, the "trick" was to use Spotpass, since the games programmed for it, read data stored either in the unit or the SD Card; same way that Nintendo, Tecmo an a few others release data/downloads through Spotpass.

The "Wii way" is/was apparently possible too (either release a channel that downloads/fixes data like in Zelda), or get the game online and download the required patch/update to continue (even if it was to fix issues with the offline campaign like in Conduit 2).
I see, thanks for the info :) So Mario Kart 7 doesnt support Spotpass? I read something about that Street Fighter 4 supported patching, and that was 6-7 months ago.

I actually got 2nd place on the course without cheating, but since everyone else cheated and didn't win they all literally left the lobby. It was disturbing to know that people care that much about winning because they somehow put in the effort to cheat.

Not sure what kind of crowd plays MK online but these people have problems if they can't just enjoy the course.

I actually got 2nd place on the course without cheating, but since everyone else cheated and didn't win they all literally left the lobby. It was disturbing to know that people care that much about winning because they somehow put in the effort to cheat.

Not sure what kind of crowd plays MK online but these people have problems if they can't just enjoy the course.

I see the same thing in all the non-GAF communities. It's another thing that Nintendo should fix about the game because once all those players drop out you're left with two or three racers for the rest of the races. It would be much better to replace them all with bots until the cup is over.

how? not that i'm up to multiplayer skills yet, but i'm curious how you do this - just jump in games with gaffers on your friend list, yeah?

Nah man. Quote the first post in the OT for MK7 since the community code is hidden there. You have to manually add it.

You have to download "channels" first.

Jokab

I'm seriously clueless as to why people complain about snaking. It's a technique that requires immense amounts of skill, and if you can't do it then why are you even complaining? If you can't be bothered to put in the effort that is required to be good at a game then you really have no say about those kind of things. It's not a glitch just because the creators didn't intend for it to be possible, it just happened to be.

I realize this isn't what the topic is about, but people bitching about snaking just gets on my nerves.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
For anyone suggesting to just play on the GAF community... That's a laughable option. Communities are so broken - you can't join an existing game, it's hard to get an idea of how many people are on, it splits off into sub-communities when a game is already going.... Dumbest crap ever.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm seriously clueless as to why people complain about snaking. It's a technique that requires immense amounts of skill, and if you can't do it then why are you even complaining? If you can't be bothered to put in the effort that is required to be good at a game then you really have no say about those kind of things. It's not a glitch just because the creators didn't intend for it to be possible, it just happened to be.

I realize this isn't what the topic is about, but people bitching about snaking just gets on my nerves.

The snaking debate is old and thorny. It's kind of like this:

Yes, snaking was an intentional mechanic.

But the view against it is that it's like a fighting game that's so broken, that a single character with one move can beat everyone else in the game except for a mirror match against the same character using the same move. It's not about people being "too lazy to learn the game", which honestly, is a very condescending thing people who abuse snaking liked to say about those who didn't like it. People who are experts at the game didn't like snaking either, in concept.

It's more than it seems the MK team didn't realize how broken snaking was in the DS version, and didn't realize that people online would be drawn to the most broken tactic possible in order to rack up wins. They didn't realize that a snaking player was basically invincible against every other style of play on the relevant tracks. So the game online boiled down to "either play the game by doing NOTHING but snaking or don't play the game."

So. The general view against snaking is that it was a poorly though out mechanic regardless of how much skill was required to do it perfectly. Because it made the game play in a boring way that wasn't much like Mario Kart.

It's the same kind of debate you can find related to fighting games, as alluded above. Players who are experts with a particular broken character may not care if all they ever play is mirror matches of that character to see who can get the first hit in, then win. Everybody else may view that as a crappy situation though, and consider the game broken.

I want to know if a tester boosted off that ledge, it seems something you would test on every corner in the game to make sure laku is working correctly.

Oh Nintendo you and your lack of online ways.

For anyone suggesting to just play on the GAF community... That's a laughable option. Communities are so broken - you can't join an existing game, it's hard to get an idea of how many people are on, it splits off into sub-communities when a game is already going.... Dumbest crap ever.
I've somehow managed to squeeze into cups during the second race a couple times by joining another GAF member from my friend list but I'm sure that was some kind of glitch and it wasn't fun since I started at a point deficit. Usually when you join an existing communty race you end up having to spectate two or three races so that's not much fun either.

I think the decision to start community groups from scratch instead of tossing you into an existing group race was a good choice. Where they screwed up is they should have coded in group merging once one cup ends and a group is already waiting for more players.

M3d10n

I'm hoping that MK7 was built with the rumored patching support but that NOJ is still working on how retail game updates are going to be deployed and managed by the OS (probably in the same way as DLC in the next 2-3 months) and whoever in NOA replied to that e-mail has no clue about it.

Haunted

I see the same thing in all the non-GAF communities. It's another thing that Nintendo should fix about the game because once all those players drop out you're left with two or three racers for the rest of the races. It would be much better to replace them all with bots until the cup is over.
Auto-filling spots with bots until real players re-join is something a lot more online games should be doing, imo.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I've somehow managed to squeeze into cups during the second race a couple times by joining another GAF member from my friend list but I'm sure that was some kind of glitch and it wasn't fun since I started at a point deficit. Usually when you join an existing communty race you end up having to spectate two or three races so that's not much fun either.

I think the decision to start community groups from scratch instead of tossing you into an existing group race was a good choice. Where they screwed up is they should have coded in group merging once one cup ends and a group is already waiting for more players.

Their mistake was using cups in the first place. It should have been entirely running-total-point-based, so anyone could join at any point. Communities are such a huge disappointment. Even with a ton of planning, getting everyone together at the same time, all it takes is one douche to start the cup before everyone's in there.

Typing this stuff out is so depressing. How do you just not get any of this, Nintendo?

The Nintendo rep who responded on this issue clearly thought the question was about updating the cartridge, he doesn't really address the possibility of patching in a convincing way. Someone should pester them about this issue until they issue a fix.

Personally, this particular glitch has never been a big issue for me as I've only seen it happen a few times -- one thing I do try and make a point of doing though is being an asshole to people who try it. If someone keeps picking the course I make a point of trying to get to the ditch first with a weapon ready to distract him off course... if that fails and he pulls it off, I make a note of his character and his kart and I don't attack anyone else at all in other races until I have exacted a price in annoyance.

Their mistake was using cups in the first place. It should have been entirely running-total-point-based, so anyone could join at any point. Communities are such a huge disappointment. Even with a ton of planning, getting everyone together at the same time, all it takes is one douche to start the cup before everyone's in there.

Typing this stuff out is so depressing. How do you just not get any of this, Nintendo?

The ultimate frustration for me is that the way standard online play works outside of communities is all that was needed for the communities themselves! The perfect system is there in the game itself, and now you can't even make good use of the standard online due to the Wuhu glitch.

Cups could have been an option in the creation of a community if they were so desired but really it's pretty pointless. Another thing that sucks about them is losing players mid cup.

Dacvak

You're right about that, it should have had the option to play either style in community. Ideally it should have been like a private verison of WW where GAFfers could be paired up with other racers at their skill level and tournament cups are triggered every hour or so.

MKWii seemed to be better featured than MK7 with the addition of the MK Channel challenges and I'm kind of surprised by that.

Haunted

The snaking debate is old and thorny. It's kind of like this:

Yes, snaking was an intentional mechanic.

But the view against it is that it's like a fighting game that's so broken, that a single character with one move can beat everyone else in the game except for a mirror match against the same character using the same move. It's not about people being "too lazy to learn the game", which honestly, is a very condescending thing people who abuse snaking liked to say about those who didn't like it. People who are experts at the game didn't like snaking either, in concept.

It's more than it seems the MK team didn't realize how broken snaking was in the DS version, and didn't realize that people online would be drawn to the most broken tactic possible in order to rack up wins. They didn't realize that a snaking player was basically invincible against every other style of play on the relevant tracks. So the game online boiled down to "either play the game by doing NOTHING but snaking or don't play the game."

So. The general view against snaking is that it was a poorly though out mechanic regardless of how much skill was required to do it perfectly. Because it made the game play in a boring way that wasn't much like Mario Kart.

It's the same kind of debate you can find related to fighting games, as alluded above. Players who are experts with a particular broken character may not care if all they ever play is mirror matches of that character to see who can get the first hit in, then win. Everybody else may view that as a crappy situation though, and consider the game broken.
Well said.

Snaking in MK is using Akuma in Super Street Fighter Turbo. It eliminates every other playstyle from the game because it is simply better than everything else. It makes for a boring, uninspired experience, even if it was intended to be in there by the designers.

Berordn

I got ignored so I'll ask it again...

What's wrong with snaking? it seems to me that it takes skill to pull off so shouldn't be considered cheap...

The skill is mostly in knowing the proper character/kart matches and knowing exactly where to start and end your slide. The real problem is just how powerful it was. Even though anyone could learn to pull it off, those who didn't or those who just chose not to would be laps behind those who did.

edit: Kaijima said it way more eloquently anyway

genjiZERO

The skill is mostly in knowing the proper character/kart matches and knowing exactly where to start and end your slide. The real problem is just how powerful it was. Even though anyone could learn to pull it off, those who didn't or those who just chose not to would be laps behind those who did.

edit: Kaijima said it way more eloquently anyway

lols thanks. Didn't see that it had been answered because I just Command F'd for my name. I guess I can understand - it's just an overpowered move.

Really, what's the unfair advantage? It's fixing a broken stage, not handicapping some players.

I guess it would be handicapping the new owners of the game since they wouldn't have the opportunity to cheat in the same way that the old owners can. I say they should fix it and then make that a pre-order incentive for future games.

"Buy it now before we fix all the broken shit that ruins the online experience!"

Bullza2o

If I recall correctly, Ridge Racer 3DS got patched in one of the earlier 3DS updates several weeks after launch. Perhaps the same could be done with MK7?

If I recall correctly, Ridge Racer 3DS got patched in one of the earlier 3DS updates several weeks after launch. Perhaps the same could be done with MK7?

Ridge Racer wasn't patched. The 3DS itself had a problem which caused the game to do some weird stuff, so the system menu was patched.

(Unless you're talking about something completely different...?)

JWong

Banned
Mario Kart is about being fair? ;)

Well, at least the Rainbow Road jump and the Wario Stadium hop needed some effort.

-KRS-

Oh my bad. I didn't know it was a 3DS problem and not the game.

Still I think a firmware update is the most plausible thing to expect from Nintendo in regards to patching this game. It seems Mario Kart 7 was not made to be patch-able in the first place, so I think expecting a patch for it is not realistic. It's Nintendo in a nutshell really.

BiggNife

I hate snaking because it isn't fun. To me, it's repetitive and annoying and sucks the fun out of an otherwise great game. I can do it just fine, but I don't enjoy it at all.

Madao

We have video evidence of DD having exploitable glitches in this very thread.

1 glitch in 9 years doesn't compare to 2 glitches in 1 month.
MKDD's only glitched track is the one in the video (and it is a rather hard glitch to do). MKDS, MKW and MK7 have several glitched tracks each and with far easier glitches to do.

Well said.

Snaking in MK is using Akuma in Super Street Fighter Turbo. It eliminates every other playstyle from the game because it is simply better than everything else. It makes for a boring, uninspired experience, even if it was intended to be in there by the designers.

Nope. It's an advanced technique, so obviously people who use it will have an advantage.

But mini-boosts in MKDS are very overpowered and thus it's not much fun to snake. Snaking in Double Dash is so much more satisfying.

Madao

Nope. It's an advanced technique, so obviously people who use it will have an advantage.

But mini-boosts in MKDS are very overpowered and thus it's not much fun to snake. Snaking in Double Dash is so much more satisfying.

MK64 had the best version of that Mini turbo tech. it got worse with MKDD and MKDS.
in MK64, you had to time it carefully to get the speed boost and not lose speed and you had to space them out. in MKDD, it became closer to spamming the MTs while holding a good line and checking the speedometer. in MKDS it was just spam MT until your fingers fall off. taht's why i don't like thiose games very much nowadays.
i'm glad we have the current MT system.

Tain

Well said.

From an outsider to regular MK play, it looks to me like there was too much bitching about snaking players and not enough bitching at Nintendo.

Nairume

Banned
From an outsider to regular MK play, it looks to me like there was too much bitching about snaking players and not enough bitching at Nintendo.
Nah, there was obviously just enough bitching at Nintendo, because the oversight that allowed for it was corrected in both MKWii and MK7.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

That was kinda the point. In MKDS specifically, snaking was so overpowered, it became the Super Turbo Akuma of the game.

Snaking in general, as an advanced technique, was more balanced in MK64 and MKDD.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
It's really a shame. If this were an indie game on Steam the track would have been patched a week after the glitch had been found. Instead, a major title that's going to sell like crazy throughout the entire 3DS lifespan is going to have several track wrecking glitches for eternity.

But hey, at least Nintendo is giving us DLC in Fire Emblem right?

Emitan

It's really a shame. If this were an indie game on Steam the track would have been patched a week after the glitch had been found. Instead, a major title that's going to sell like crazy throughout the entire 3DS lifespan is going to have several track wrecking glitches for eternity.

But hey, at least Nintendo is giving us DLC in Fire Emblem right?

It would have been patched within the day judging by most high profile indie games.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I always wonder how someone found such a glitch... i mean, who would have thought about using a mushroom at that exact spot?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I always wonder how someone found such a glitch... i mean, who would have thought about using a mushroom at that exact spot?

People who are heavily into time trials are always testing tracks for glitches to get the best times. When you look at it like that, the Maka Wuhu glitch would have been extremely easy to find.

You don't even need a mushroom to do it (which is actually a good thing since anyone who doesn't do it has zero chance of winning).

Top Bottom