• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mamoru Hosada (Summer Wars, Wolf Children) talks about his next film - Mirai

duckroll

http://variety.com/2017/film/global...-discusses-next-project-exclusive-1202429514/

“Mirai” follows a 4-year old boy who is struggling to cope with the arrival of a little sister in the family, until things turn magical. A mysterious garden in the backyard of the boy’s home becomes a gateway allowing the child to travel in time and encounter his mother as a little girl, his great-grandfather as a young man and his sister has a grown woman. These fantasy-filled adventures allow the child to change his perspective and help him become the big brother he was meant to be.

What is the genesis of “Mirai”?

There is a common thread in the themes of my films: “The Girl Who Leapt Through Time” was about youth, “Summer Wars” was about family, “Wolf Children,” “Ame” and “Yuki” were about motherhood,” “The Boy and The Beast” was about the father, and my new film is about the relationship between brothers and sisters. “Mirai” is about a boy who is trying to reclaim the love of his parents.”

How personal is this new project, “Mirai”?

If I decided to tell the story of a brother and sister, it’s because after the birth of my second child, our eldest one got the impression that this newly arrived baby stole her parents, which made her ferociously jealous. I understood then what humans fundamentally desire, what they thirst for. It’s my child’s jealousy that gave me the idea to do this film.

Much more at the link.

Bonus:
From a Western point of view, the time in-between the storyboard and the completed film is so short in Japan.

This is due to the “auteur policy” that centralizes the power in the hands of the director. The director typically researches and thinks as much as he/she can during the writing phase of the storyboard, and then tries to be pragmatic when the film goes into production.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sounds great! Hope it's in the The Girl Who Leapt Through Time / Wolf Children tier and not the Summer Wars / Boy and the Beast tier (not that those are bad movies, mind).

EDIT:

Oh shit, he actually mentions this in the article!

”Summer Wars" and ”The Boy and the Beast" belong to a different category of film. It seems to me that this new movie is closer to ”Wolf Children" and ”The Girl Who Leapt Through Time."

To a certain extent, yes. One could classify my films in two categories: ”Summer Wars" and ”The Boy and the Beast" are more action films, whereas ”The Girl Who Leapt Through Time," ”Wolf Children" and my new film are more human dramas that talk about life and bring up the lived experiences of several generations. It's true that in ”Summer Wars," it is through action that the protagonist overcomes his problems. And it's true as well that this new film tells more of a human drama.

Excellent! :D

Sounds great! Hope it's in the The Girl Who Leapt Through Time / Wolf Children tier and not the Summer Wars / Boy and the Beast tier (not that those are bad movies, mind).
Looks like you're in luck.

“Summer Wars” and “The Boy and the Beast” belong to a different category of film. It seems to me that this new movie is closer to “Wolf Children” and “The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.”

To a certain extent, yes. One could classify my films in two categories: “Summer Wars” and “The Boy and the Beast” are more action films, whereas “The Girl Who Leapt Through Time,” “Wolf Children” and my new film are more human dramas that talk about life and bring up the lived experiences of several generations. It’s true that in “Summer Wars,” it is through action that the protagonist overcomes his problems. And it’s true as well that this new film tells more of a human drama.​

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Looks like you're in luck.

“Summer Wars” and “The Boy and the Beast” belong to a different category of film. It seems to me that this new movie is closer to “Wolf Children” and “The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.”

To a certain extent, yes. One could classify my films in two categories: “Summer Wars” and “The Boy and the Beast” are more action films, whereas “The Girl Who Leapt Through Time,” “Wolf Children” and my new film are more human dramas that talk about life and bring up the lived experiences of several generations. It’s true that in “Summer Wars,” it is through action that the protagonist overcomes his problems. And it’s true as well that this new film tells more of a human drama.​

:)

Let's hope this is a return to 'every Hosoda is a masterpiece', given Boy and the Beast was a lazy amalgamation of his past work and Ghibli tropes.

munchie64

Wolf-Children-childhood-animated-movie-heroines-39702306-400-225.gif

I really enjoyed Boy and the Beast, by this is great to hear.

Did you write the screenplay alone or with someone else?

This time I wrote it alone. But I always listen to the opinions and the experiences of the producers, so that the film becomes really universal doesn’t get made based my own personal experiences.

Good luck y'all.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How furry is it going to be from 1-10?

so1337

Every second Hosoda movie is basically sure to be god-tier, so buckle the fuck up for this one.

”Wolf Children," ”Ame" and ”Yuki"
Yes, I definitely loved all three of those movies.

ZoronMaro

I feel like I should have known, but I had no idea Girl Who Leapt Through Time was the same guy who did Summer Wars.

I liked both of those I should probably watch the rest of his stuff, although this new thing sounds more interesting than everything else.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Time traveling furries with themes of family.

UCBooties

I adore Summer Wars (which I guess puts me in the minority) and Wolf Children. I really liked The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and thought Boy and the Beast was a huuuuuge letdown. Fingers crossed for this one!

Top Bottom