• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man unaware of nail in skull, until 6 days later!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
A dentist found the source of the toothache Patrick Lawler was complaining about on the roof of his mouth: a 10-centimetre nail the construction worker had unknowingly embedded in his skull six days earlier. A nail gun backfired on Lawler, 23, on Jan. 6 while working in Breckenridge, a ski resort town in the central Colorado mountains. The tool sent a nail into a piece of wood nearby, but Lawler didn't realize a second nail had shot through his mouth, said his sister.

Following the accident, Lawler had what he thought was a minor toothache and blurry vision. On Wednesday, after painkillers and ice didn't ease the pain, he went to a dental office where his wife works. "We all are friends, so I thought the (dentists) were joking...then the doctor came out and said 'There's really a nail,'" his wife reported.

He was taken to a suburban Denver hospital, where he underwent a four-hour surgery. The nail had plunged about four centimetres into his brain, barely missing his right eye. "This is the second one we've seen in this hospital where the person was injured by the nail gun and didn't actually realize the nail had been imbedded in their skull," the neurosurgeon said. "But it's a pretty rare injury."

Despite his lack of medical insurance and hospital bills between $80,000 and $100,000 US, his wife Katerina said her husband is in good spirits.

"The doctors said, 'If you're going to have a nail in the brain, that's the way you want it to be,' " she said. "He's the luckiest guy, ever."

Source: CNEWS

Seriously, I don't understand how the fuck the guy couldn't have felt a nail shoot into his mouth, up through the roof of his mouth, into his brain!?!? Seriously.......I cringe just thinking about it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
story.xray.kusa.jpg

NohWun

I can sort of understand. A couple of times, I've hit my hand against something, but I was so distracted at the time that I didn't pay any attention to it, until later when I noticed the blood pouring down and wondered what caused it.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
NohWun said:
I can sort of understand. A couple of times, I've hit my hand against something, but I was so distracted at the time that I didn't pay any attention to it, until later when I noticed the blood pouring down and wondered what caused it.

Oh I've done that sorta thing too.... but this is a nail, through your mouth, piercing the brain!!! Sorta on a different level.

Gattsu25

Banned
Despite his lack of medical insurance and hospital bills between $80,000 and $100,000 US, his wife Katerina said her husband is in good spirits.

"The doctors said, 'If you're going to have a nail in the brain, that's the way you want it to be,' " she said. "He's the luckiest guy, ever."

us_flag2.jpg

NLB2

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
Wait, wait, wait - You're saying I should pay to help this guy? People who are stupid enough to shoot nails through the roof of their mouth into their brain don't deserve my tax money.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
NLB2 said:
Wait, wait, wait - You're saying I should pay to help this guy? People who are stupid enough to shoot nails through the roof of their mouth into their brain don't deserve my tax money.
He was a construction worker doing his job when a piece of machinery malfunctioned. How does that make him stupid?

Now, managing to walk around with a nail in your brain for a week...THAT might qualify as stupid, but the accident itself does not.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Surely working on a construction site without accident insurance is against the law! Get his nail-holed skull in jail!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom