• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man who paid $750 for photo of Xbox One gets free system

Hanmik

seems the story might change a little again.-.

http://www.one-gamer.com/news/4393/scammed-ebayer-gets-free-console-from-cex-scams-us-all

CEX Nottingham has stepped in and, out of the goodness of its heart, given big Pete the console that eBay jipped him out of.

“All I wanted was a refund. I cannot believe this,” Clatworthy told the Nottingham Post. “This shows there are some nice, kind people out there and it’s really overwhelming. I can’t thank them enough.”

CEX was simply happy to help. “We as a company are always looking to do a good thing for somebody,” said the store manager, David Draycott. “Hopefully Peter and his son will both be able to enjoy this together.”

“As soon as any new technology comes out that is hard to get hold of, you are bound to get a scam,” he added. “Many people are looking to take advantage of people shopping online and trying to get something for Christmas in a hurry.”

However, his words took on a more sinister turn as it was implicated that the situation was not as straightforward as it appeared.

Some have suggested that Clatworthy is the real scammer in this story, implying that he created the ruse to get a free console and to generate personal publicity (he was previously in the tabloids in 2007 for using Judo to stop a drunk driver).

“Plot twist. Free Xbox One lad sells in Xbox. Doubles initial money. Is original scammer. Credits roll”, posted one CEX employee on Facebook.

Others have gone as far as saying that the scam might have been engineered by CEX itself in order to boost Christmas business. And in all fairness, it would be a pretty clever ruse on either score.

Though personally, we still reckon it’s the age old story of a fool and his money being soon parted.

I have no idea if any of this is true.. but lol if true..

He has a 4 your old son...at 19? I dunno. I think he needs to work on his priorities. The guy is clearly ballin' too to spend that much money at 19...for a 4 year old son.

jmcoo7

Banned
it was implicated
Some have suggested
implying
posted one employee
Others have been saying
might have
it would be

Are you sure that's not an article by the Daily Mash?

Had people used Google to check his Twitter username, they would have discovered this, he has many profiles on dating sites and one had some interesting stuff as regards his "kid". Whole thing stunk and yet I was shouted down for suggesting this was the case. I'm sure the truth will come out and make some folk feel really stupid and gullible.

hadareud

The Translator

heh

Had people used Google to check his Twitter username, they would have discovered this, he has many profiles on dating sites and one had some interesting stuff as regards his "kid". Whole thing stunk and yet I was shouted down for suggesting this was the case. I'm sure the truth will come out and make some folk feel really stupid and gullible.

Any links?

Tabby

Still peed off.
He messed up because he can't read properly so he gets a free console AND a refund?
Never mind the fact that he has a child at 19. He should be taking care of the baby not buying consoles.

Marvel

could never

g65.gif

19 years old.
4 year old kid.
eBay posting clearly said photo.

Obviously this guy is a muppet, he should not reward his stupidity.

Speedloafer

Neo Member
Anybody who thinks CEX are rewarding his stupidity are just more stupider....

Its called advertising. For the grand total of £430 they get huge publicity. Far more than £430 could ever buy.

BowieZ

Banned
Please, GAF, we no longer need to be pointed out either the age he procreated or how stupidity was rewarded... please...

hadareud

The Translator
Said his kid was born dead.

Ah ok, I struggled to spot that because he clearly can't write.

That's horrible of course, but not really proof that the whole thing is an elaborate scam that he initiated himself. It's not like he could have predicted getting a free console out of it.

jmcoo7

Banned
Ah ok, I struggled to spot that because he clearly can't write.

That's horrible of course, but not really proof that the whole thing is an elaborate scam that he initiated himself. It's not like he could have predicted getting a free console out of it.

True, but this whole thing just makes my skin crawl. Instincts tell me all isn't how it looks, well I will wait and see what happens I suspect there's a few more twists and turns.

Speedloafer

Neo Member
True but at 19 all just seems a bit odd to me, anyway in time I'm sure all will be revealed.

I guess it depends where you are from. I had one friend who was a virgin up until 18 and had 3 kids by 2 different girls by the time he was 21. And at the time his third kid was born he was single. Its really not that unusual at all. Saying that not all my friends were like that, but in no way is it odd to me.

If he is lying though then yes he should be vilified.

For people suggesting he planned the whole thing. Setting up the auctions, then going to the paper and also hoping you get a free console is a bit of a stretch.

jmcoo7

Banned
I guess it depends where you are from. I had one friend who was a virgin up until 18 and had 3 kids by 2 different girls by the time he was 21. And at the time his third kid was born he was single. Its really not that unusual at all. Saying that not all my friends were like that, but in no way is it odd to me.

If he is lying though then yes he should be vilified.

Time will tell I suppose, if he is genuine then fair enough. But there are too many fly by nights around these days, people who can talk a good story and fool people.

Speedloafer

Neo Member
Time will tell I suppose, if he is genuine then fair enough. But there are too many fly by nights around these days, people who can talk a good story and fool people.

It should be already online if he is lying. I mean people that now him would be talking about it on facebook.

Dead Man

Are you related to him lol? Was beginning to wonder you seemed pretty determined to insult me over this and be rather aggressive or is that just your nature?

That post was addressed to the thread in general, if you feel otherwise, that's on you, mate.

jmcoo7

Banned
What am I looking at?

Just looks like a dating profile. I'm not sure what the relevance is, unless you wanted to put us off the guy because of his appalling grammar and spelling.

It should be already online if he is lying. I mean people that now him would be talking about it on facebook.

Well maybe the cex Facebook is the start of it, we shall see. Who knows, thing is there are many sick kids who would have loved a Xbox why not give one to them, he got his money back didn't need a freebie. Sorry but this story just set alarm bells ringing maybe I'm too cynical due to experiences, that's life i suppose.

Valnen

Still peed off.
He messed up because he can't read properly so he gets a free console AND a refund?
Never mind the fact that he has a child at 19. He should be taking care of the baby not buying consoles.
The fuck is this? So parents should never do anything for themselves? You realize how stupid and unhealthy that is?

In the original thread about this guy there was intrigue after it appeared the 19 year old foolish father himself posted in the thread. I don't think it was proven however.

muddream

Banned
This degenerate is 19, has a son who's old enough to play Xbox and supposedly bought a photo for $750. Let's reward him.

Hope Cex got scammed.

This degenerate is 19, has a son who's old enough to play Xbox and supposedly bought a photo for $750. Let's reward him.

Hope Cex got scammed.

The store is not scammed either way. They do not care either way, as long as the public is aware of what they did. The advertising is worth far more than the price of an XB1.

Also, he had a kid early. People make mistakes, and I would venture to guess many young parents wouldn't classify their children as a mistake. I'm not sure why being a young father who is still in the life of his child is viewed as a negative.

huxley00

Didnt know to wear a condom when he was 15, no surprise he bought a picture of an xbox. Anyway, glad that he got his money back.

Top Bottom