• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man with a bomb inside Atlanta bank situation influx

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/266358441-story

A man claims to have a bomb inside the Wells Fargo bank at 2675 Windy Hill Road, according to the Cobb County Police Department.

An Atlanta television newsroom claims that the man called their newsroom and spent more than 30 minutes talking and detailing demands. The man told the television station that is an Iraqi war veteran who is having financial trouble.

Police believe that only employees remain inside of the bank, and that they are not considered hostages.

"We're not saying this is a hostage situation," said an official on the scene. "We are saying that employees are inside that bank."

No one has been injured inside or outside the bank, according to officials. Authorities said that there are a "couple or a few" employees inside the bank.

SWAT, Bomb, and K9 have responded to the scene. Officials received a call about the incident around 9:30am on Friday.

"We have to be cautious that he may be monitoring social media and television right now because it is an active situation, said an official.

Vanillalite

Supposedly the dude called the TV station and just started rattling off demands like it's Rush Hour the movie.

Lol seriously. Why aren't they considered hostages? Do they think this is an inside job?

I guess what constitutes a hostage situation is people being forced to stay. If people are freely allowed to enter and exit the building, it's not really a hostage situation. Now, would a person with a bomb allow that condition to be true? What could he possibly want to allow that? It would have to be something like, he wants to blow up the building itself, but not kill anyone, so he is trying to tell people to leave. This is like the one situation where a person with a bomb in a building could also not be a hostage situation.

With all that being said I highly doubt that is the case. I'm guessing not calling it a hostage situation has to do with informational asymmetry and not wanting the public to panic.

They're on the clock.

I guess what constitutes a hostage situation is people being forced to stay. If people are freely allowed to enter and exit the building, it's not really a hostage situation. Now, would a person with a bomb allow that condition to be true? What could he possibly want to allow that? It would have to be something like, he wants to blow up the building itself, but not kill anyone, so he is trying to tell people to leave. This is like the one situation where a person with a bomb in a building could also not be a hostage situation.

With all that being said I highly doubt that is the case. I'm guessing not calling it a hostage situation has to do with informational asymmetry and not wanting the public to panic.

Well, that's an interesting point.

Here's a philosophical question. If they are "free to leave" (e.g., the bomber isn't keeping them there) but they have to stay (because they're on the clock), could we argue that they are being held hostage by Wells Fargo?

If the employees were allowed to leave but didn't (I don't know why that would be, but its not impossible), you wouldn't consider them hostages.

Afrodium

Banned

Here's a philosophical question. If they are "free to leave" (e.g., the bomber isn't keeping them there) but they have to stay (because they're on the clock), could we argue that they are being held hostage by Wells Fargo?

There is no way the bank manager is making people stay inside because they're on the clock, but I guess maybe you could argue this? I don't know, would the employees need some provision in the contract saying that they're free to leave in a dangerous situation in order for it to be illegal for Wells Fargo to keep them there?

Seeing as how only employees remain, another good guess at what is going might be that the person has a grievance with the bank because of some financial actions that were taken. He says he is going to blow the building up unless it gets resolved. Some bank members are bravely assisting despite knowing there is a fucking crazy guy with a bomb. (Who likely also has an incorrect stance on his financial grievance given that stupid people with money aren't a good combination).

If the employees were allowed to leave but didn't (I don't know why that would be, but its not impossible), you wouldn't consider them hostages.

What is this? A sequel to Dog Day Afternoon?!

rfTFjZz.gif

Peccavi

If they could freely leave the building but haven't done so, they won't have a job on Monday.

Vanillalite

Supposedly they got a big radius locked down. Like someone said they can't leave the CFA across the street per SWAT instructions.

Ron Mexico

As a branch manager who has been through a (less intense, yet still bomb-related) variation of this, the staff is well trained on how to approach the situation.

Now, that said, nothing compares to the real thing but these procedures are drilled so often to make the dealings as close to instinct as humanly possible given the circumstances.

Thoughts are with everyone in the area.

As a branch manager who has been through a (less intense, yet still bomb-related) variation of this, the staff is well trained on how to approach the situation.

Now, that said, nothing compares to the real thing but these procedures are drilled so often to make the dealings as close to instinct as humanly possible given the circumstances.

Thoughts are with everyone in the area.

What is the protocol on raising the alarm?

In the movies the person who presses the button is always ........something bad happens.......or the super elite robbers stop the alarm from being raised.

How does it work in real life?

Ron Mexico

What is the protocol on raising the alarm?

In the movies the person who presses the button is always ........something bad happens.......or the super elite robbers stop the alarm from being raised.

How does it work in real life?

You only pull the alarm when it's unquestionably safe to do so.

Essentially, nobody tries to be a hero. Vastly oversimplified but yeah.

I like to think that the employees are just going about their usual business as this guy is standing in the middle of the lobby waving a bomb around.

Ron Mexico

I like to think that the employees are just going about their usual business as this guy is standing in the middle of the lobby waving a bomb around.

That's how it happened for us. Normal day, we're going about our business when my assistant gets a phone call saying "my husband is deranged and going to your branch with a bomb". So in our case, we had the opportunity to alert the authorities and I was able to subtly get my people out of the building when he came in.

Again, they drill this stuff all the time but nothing compares to the real thing.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Police believe that only employees remain inside of the bank, and that they are not considered hostages.

"We're not saying this is a hostage situation," said an official on the scene. "We are saying that employees are inside that bank."

we can confirm there are twelve meat sacks in the way

Ganhyun

Fox 5 updated to claim the man is dead and police are still inside searching for explosives.

Edit:

Apparently when they went in they did see explosives on the suspect as well in his hand. At least, that is what is being reported.

Vanillalite

Fox 5 updated to claim the man is dead and police are still inside searching for explosives.

Edit:

Apparently when they went in they did see explosives on the suspect as well in his hand. At least, that is what is being reported.

Yeah I think they shot him. At least that's the reports I'm seeing.

Mulgrok

A few years ago the bank I frequented was destroyed by a bomber and 3 people died. Sincerely hope everyone comes out safe this time.

Top Bottom