• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manchurian Candidate - Buh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok movie I guess, but what was with characters looking right at the camera as they talked. It felt so creepy. Good thing I was with friends or it would have been a total wash.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I thought it was fairly decent -- here are some thoughts I jotted down about it after I saw it:

Although I've never seen the original, I thought that this version is quite good. It sort of reminds me of The X-Files back when The X-Files was actually a good show; replace David Duchovny with Denzel Washington and "alien government conspiracies designed to 'protect' the public and further political agendas" with "brain implant government conspiracies designed to 'protect' the public and further political agendas", and the comparison becomes pretty apt, with the movie being a bit more political than The X-Files ever really cared to be. The plot is familiar, but done in such a way that it avoids feeling too cliched, and the script does a good job of not falling victim to logical fallacies that plague so many other movies in which ONE MAN knows THE TRUTH and MUST BE STOPPED (but not before the duration of the movie). Denzel Washington plays his part very well, and Meryl Streep is perfectly detestable in a way that's almost assuredly intended to be Hilary Clinton-esque. Incidentally, that's another one of the movie's strong points -- it talks politics without playing politics; as far as I know, the party of those behind the conspiracy was never named (although it probably had more in common with the right side of the fence than the left), so those of you who bristled at the Hilary Clinton comment can find respite in other areas of the film if you so desire. Suffice it to say, if you enjoy complex, fairly intelligent films about government conspiracies, with a hint of sci-fi thrown in the mix, all written to be relevant to the present day political state, by all means see the movie. 3/4 stars.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I thought it was pretty good (Manchurian Candidate).
Very early and, also later on, it gave me a "Jacob's Ladder" vibe, but I thought it wasn't nearly as good.

human5892 said:
Incidentally, that's another one of the movie's strong points -- it talks politics without playing politics; as far as I know, the party of those behind the conspiracy was never named (although it probably had more in common with the right side of the fence than the left), so those of you who bristled at the Hilary Clinton comment can find respite in other areas of the film if you so desire.

It was the Democrats, because the reason she gave to win the nomination for her son was that they would gaurentee Califonia and New England but would have no chance in the south and would lose the swing states of middle America. I think she was just a centerist, which Hillary Clinton is quite liberal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom