• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT4| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
But "some people" will always fail to get an emotional attachment.

I have zero emotional attachment to anything AT ALL in Bleach, that doesn't mean Bleach failed as a manga.

I get "why" it can't be sold to some people, but claiming it's some sort of failed attempt is quite harsh for a scene that quite a few people loved.

I don't even get why the fact that it's an "inanimate object" is such a big deal, last I checked fiction is fake anyway.

Just because Bleach is about magical flying ghosts with superpowers doesn't mean that attaching emotions to them is pathetic. I really don't follow the logic behind that.

Well that's their fault. If someone keeps reading a manga and he has no emotional attachment to any character or any of the events then it's their problem for wasting their time.

The inanimate object problem is only for believing that a ship can get its own spirit and travel to save its nakama. For some people that might be hard to swallow even though this is OP and it has a history of doing that kind of shit. However as for the crew feeling sad about losing their ship and crying and all of that, it's normal. Loads of people have connection to objects like games or comics and so on so losing a ship, your second home, is a big deal.

Desmond

I so sick of seeing you with the same bullshit over and over .
Oda does not need to explain in detail how every move in OP works .
He has never done that and he never will , if you can't put certain things together that is not the manga fault .
OP was never base on training arcs and how powers work like some other manga .

When it comes to merry it's up to each person to decide if he fail humanize an inanimate object since a fair amount of people seem to like that part i would say he got the job done .

You don't know what the term "ass pull" means. I think that's the problem. Sanji's diable jamble is no more ridiculous than what the CP9 was doing. Zoro cutting steel had to do with hearing the "breath of things" which was talked multiple times before that point and it was even mentioned Mihawks ability to cut through elements. Luffy's gears were influenced by the CP9. They flat out said that.

Here comes the cavalry. ''Have an opinion we agree with or feck off''

Desmond

Lol, that's seriously the best you could do? No way to counter what I said so just whine about it? I guess that makes sense

No, I can do much better. I'm just not into puerile arguments about COMICS. You can never really have a civil discussion about OP. You can say one thing and then everyone throws their toys out of the pram.

Here comes the cavalry. ''Have an opinion we agree with or feck off''

Give me a break beam brings up the same shit over and over again .
People answer those question many times before but he does not like the answer or he does not think it makes sense so hear we go again .

He is the same person that says certain things about Bleach which he thinks is right but if people do the same for OP he has a problem with it .
Just a few weeks ago i see Beam say Ichgo said some he did not because he interpret that way .

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Love you guys.

Desmond, for some reason, my latest memory of your post activity was that of a rabid narutard. Forgive me for being wrong breh.

Desmond

Love you guys.

Desmond, for some reason, my latest memory of your post activity was that of a rabid narutard. Forgive me for being wrong breh.
Well I do post in the Shippuden thread a lot I must admit.

I'd never bad mouth OP anyway because I've never read it really. I got up to Luffy fighting Kuroda (? Cat-like dude) in the anime. but then stopped for some reason.

Wiseblade

I don't see why you guys bother a lot of the time. By know it's pretty obvious who wants to have a legitimate discussion about certain series and who just wants to take potshots.

Well that's their fault. If someone keeps reading a manga and he has no emotional attachment to any character or any of the events then it's their problem for wasting their time.

I think it's fine, I'm the last person to tell people what they should or shouldn't read.

Personally I'm interested in writing comics myself, so even when reading stories that don't engage me I'm extremely curious why this is the case. Sometimes I see people scold Big One or whatever for reading stuff he doesn't enjoy, but he obviously enjoys writing his reactions.

The inanimate object problem is only for believing that a ship can get its own spirit and travel to save its nakama. For some people that might be hard to swallow even though this is OP and it has a history of doing that kind of shit. However as for the crew feeling sad about losing their ship and crying and all of that, it's normal. Loads of people have connection to objects like games or comics and so on so losing a ship, your second home, is a big deal.

I completely agree with this, but it's also where my problem with some of the criticism stems from.

As you said, the problem has little to do with the ship being inanimate and more the way it showed up.

I think from a storytelling perspective you could say there's one or two things that are iffy about it, nothing worse than things I've seen in Bleach though.

In the end I feel like most of the things that are "iffy" are partly justified by the sheer fact that one way or another, Going Merry did come to it's expected end after all was said and done.

The "miracle" of Merry Appearing was dream-like and insane, but it didn't magically make it's inevitable fate of not surviving it's own wounds any less real.

/edit

Is Beam Phoenixcal-viking btw? I see people talking about "Beam" being leaped upon, so I figure that means they're the same person?

I have nothing to say. I just found it hilarious the you all leapt onto Beam like a pack of hounds.

I never really had a problem with beam until he said OP fans are the worst people on the earth because how some of them act towards OP.
When he no better when it comes to Bleach and ever worst than some OP fans on this board.

MCD

Fairy Tail

OH MY GOD

Why did Laxus give his power to Natsu?

WHY MUST NATSU FIGHT EVERYONE AROUND HERE

Fairy Tail

OH MY GOD

Why did Laxus give his power to Natsu?

WHY MUST NATSU FIGHT EVERYONE AROUND HERE

tumblr_m07hrqR7XF1qbs05mo1_250.gif
tumblr_m07hrqR7XF1qbs05mo2_250.gif

To look cool and since Natsu is the only one strong enough to beat such an insurmountable foe. Definitely one of his most epic powers to date. Lightning + Fire is one of the best combinations Ive seen.

Ceebs

The Large Breasted Aunt Who Demands Cousin Incest

It's like a train wreck I cannot look away from now...wait...Is he about to rape is cousin?

MCD

This is twice he ruined my favorite character.

First he turn him into a shitty looking super saiyan thingy and now this. Poor, poor Laxus.

It failed because the guys who hate OP to begin with didn't like it?

I don´t hate OP. I just think it´s way too overrated for an average manga. That scene was really ridiculous. I had no emotional attachment to the ship, because it was just a ship. The personification of a ship made for a good laugh though.

I so sick of seeing you with the same bullshit over and over .
Oda does not need to explain in detail how every move in OP works .
He has never done that and he never will , if you can't put certain things together that is not the manga fault .
OP was never base on training arcs and how powers work like some other manga .

When it comes to merry it's up to each person to decide if he fail humanize an inanimate object since a fair amount of people seem to like that part i would say he got the job done .
Yes he does or else it is shitty writing. It robs all the excitement and tension from a manga, since every time the main characters are about to be beaten they get new moves out of no where and win.
For the last time, i don´t give a shit about training arcs (except Naruto because they are so well thought of) if there is a training arcs or not, just an explanation of how they got and thought of these moves will be sufficient.

You don't know what the term "ass pull" means. I think that's the problem. Sanji's diable jamble is no more ridiculous than what the CP9 was doing. Zoro cutting steel had to do with hearing the "breath of things" which was talked multiple times before that point and it was even mentioned Mihawks ability to cut through elements. Luffy's gears were influenced by the CP9. They flat out said that.
I know the gears are influenced by the CP9, but what i don´t know is how Luffy thought of pumping blood into his body will give a very fast movement. Or how can he bite (the thought process) through his rubber skin to inflate his bones. I don´t need a training arc, just a fast explanation on how they thought about it would suffice.

I know the gears are influenced by the CP9, but what i don´t know is how Luffy thought of pumping blood into his body will give a very fast movement. Or how can he bite (the thought process) through his rubber skin to inflate his bones. I don´t need a training arc, just a fast explanation on how they thought about it would suffice.

He thought of it while on the steam train, it was said at some point. I doubt he realized the full extent of what he was doing. He simply say the train ran on steam and got faster because of it. Go back and read the chapters. While all of them were on the train Luffy specifically said he was going to go off to try some new moves he had been thinking of.

Also biting his skin to inflate his bones...well, explaining that would be like explaining how DFs work. We all have pores. Nothing is completely "solid" so I assume simply stretching a pore and blowing air into his body is what he's doing. That's not really an ass pull so much as it's a suspension of disbelief which shouldn't be too hard considering the world and the types of things possible

He thought of it while on the steam train, it was said at some point. I doubt he realized the full extent of what he was doing. He simply say the train ran on steam and got faster because of it. Go back and read the chapters. While all of them were on the train Luffy specifically said he was going to go off to try some new moves he had been thinking of.

Also biting his skin to inflate his bones...well, explaining that would be like explaining how DFs work. We all have pores. Nothing is completely "solid" so I assume simply stretching a pore and blowing air into his body is what he's doing. That's not really an ass pull so much as it's a suspension of disbelief which shouldn't be too hard considering the world and the types of things possible

That´s acceptable explanation. thanks.

Pfft pores.

Real powers require bigger holes than just pores as a proper explanation.

... Just look at Ichigo!

Big One

Banned
Ichigo´s power is fully explained/foreshadowed.
And because it is, Bleach is considerably worse than it is. Explaining shonen powers is always a detriment to the quality of the series, unless that explanation is genuinely interesting and unique. It's just unnecessary padding that isn't needed for the story itself, especially when entire arcs are focused on it like Bleach and Naruto.

ShinNL

Every Bleach power explanation was a smug moment of trying to sound smart when they really aren't. And with 'they' I actually mean Kubo Tite. And don't get me started on the timing.

Desmond

And because it is, Bleach is considerably worse than it is. Explaining shonen powers is always a detriment to the quality of the series, unless that explanation is genuinely interesting and unique. It's just unnecessary padding that isn't needed for the story itself, especially when entire arcs are focused on it like Bleach and Naruto.

What arcs? The only arc that comes close is the FullBringer arc.

Cousin Incest Manga

Pretty good. How frequently do chapters come out?

Funnily 'Love Train' came on when I was reading
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaNMQg2nYT4

This .....
I know Zoro trains all the time so him coming up with new moves should not shock anybody .
Sanji move is not a big deal compare to all the other stuff we see in OP before .

I thank god we don't have that shit in OP .

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Every Bleach power explanation was a smug moment of trying to sound smart when they really aren't. And with 'they' I actually mean Kubo Tite. And don't get me started on the timing.
Examples? Other than the over-explained-with-no-return Fullbring bullshit...

I can't believe I agree with this but... I agree. I hate shonen-power-explanation-chapters.

ShinNL

Examples? Other than the over-explained-with-no-return Fullbring bullshit...
It's actually hard to look up when most battles end abruptly and most enemies don't return, I'm having a hard time remembering who appeared where haha.

A quick glimpse through different chapters reminded me that ever since the beginning of the Arrancar arc, every battle had a power up during the battle of some kind. Almost every single one had no prior hint to such a power up, just random stuff out of nowhere, or the usual "I was always this amazingly strong, I just decided to be beaten up before I showed my true form". Almost every Espada battle.

Edit: Re-reading the scientist arrancar vs scientist captain battle: LOL, so heavy on the random elements. I guess I didn't notice it back then before Kubo Tite started milking this random element style of writing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

"Be mine, Hero" "I refuse!"

Typical DQ Hero goes to the Demon Queen's Castle to kill her and end the war between the Humans and Demons. Said Demon Queen, who of course is extremely hot, begins to teach the hero that WAR IS GOOD, and that without the war more humans would be dying than are currently dying in the war. She propisitions the Hero to become hers. Hero still refuses. Demon Queen offers herself up in exchange for him helping her and taking her on adventures. Hero accepts.

The hero of this story willfully joins The Demon Queen to continue a war of bloodshed and death for the greater good...... in the first chapter.

Also she prides herself at being awesome at Statistics.

51d362efe46f1c9f735d3e343a5f4fc0.jpg

Big One

Banned
What arcs? The only arc that comes close is the FullBringer arc.
There is at least two training arcs per major arc, sans Fullbringer. All of them sucked. I don't need to know why Ichigo can shoot lasers out of his swords, nor do I need to know the name of it other than "bankai." I don't even remember all of the random little details about the powers in Naruto and Bleach, cause none of it is investing or interesting whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom