• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beam reminds me of that fairy tale about the king's new clothes where they looked and were invisible. The king was told "only honest people can see them". Everyone lied acting like the king had fancy clothes until a young kid said "the king is in his underwear"!

Replace invisible clothes that only honest people can see with depth that only intelligent people can see. The only difference is that when the little boy aka a baited user points out the king/beam is not wearing clothes, instead of being embarrassed and learning a lesson beam throws on more invisible clothing.

Beam reminds me of that fairy tail about the king's new clothes where they looked and were invisible. The king was told "only honest people can see them". Everyone lied acting like the king had fancy clothes until a young kid said "the king is in his underwear"!

Replace invisible clothes that only honest people can see with depth that only intelligent people can see. The only difference is that when the little boy aka a baited user points out the king/beam is not wearing clothes, instead of being embarrassed and learning a lesson beam throws on more invisible clothing.

It actually took me a minute to figure out you weren't talking about a Fairy Tail arc.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Let´s not forget how shitty FMA´s ending is. The Greed thing, the back door thing, the no casualty thing. Massive disappointment all around.

I can't figure out GAFs obsession with cheap deaths for emotional response. FMA's ending was great. So sorry you can't deal with a happy ending.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Beam reminds me of that fairy tale about the king's new clothes where they looked and were invisible. The king was told "only honest people can see them". Everyone lied acting like the king had fancy clothes until a young kid said "the king is in his underwear"!

That's exactly what this is.

Besides in what universe does FMA have a bad ending? Jesus Christ.

That's exactly what this is.

Besides in what universe does FMA have a bad ending? Jesus Christ.

If the finale of Bleach is Ichigo's dad dying and everyone defeating the soul king/bach and the world becoming peaceful followed by a quick time skip to show Ichigo and Orihime married with kids you know Beam will cry and say it's the greatest and most original ending in the history of manga.

Terra formars v6 (-52)
tumblr_msnztnLcZp1qbxqfpo1_r1_1280.png

Fast chapter to read but at least everyone I cared about made it through. Alex and Marcos moment with the baseball out there was really funny and quite cool and then Akari being epic and such. I was a bit more interested in the background behind the pyramid activities as well as the plan that seemed to be implied that the roaches would take off and come to Earth. I figure that would most likely be a halfway point for the manga. Though what would the U-nasa conspirators there and the council want that for, if that is truly the plan and what are they after. More time ought to have been devoted to work on that storyline.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think Beam has a low tolerance for criticism so he just doubles down when someone says they don't like things he likes.

I can't figure out GAFs obsession with cheap deaths for emotional response. FMA's ending was great. So sorry you can't deal with a happy ending.

It's not even a gaf thing since so many people i know think the same .
Then years later they reread \ watch back stuff and say well that was stupid .
It's like the first time they read \ watch stuff they need death to feel some sort of emotion .

You talk about other yet, you can´t for the life of you dispute anything i said, since just don´t know how to discuss stuff. At the very least i back up my opinions, and i provide a lot of evidence to support it. while you throw attacks at me because you can´t rebuttal any of them. I pity you for having no opinion of your own and just follow other instead making your own arguments.

It´s not about cheap death. I certainly don´t want Harry Potter kind of bad cheap death. it´s about how the author made these cheap move to avoid them. Don´t tell that the back door thing was not a very bad plot device, that enabled Ed to save his brother without sacrificing himself. I can´t say i remember the rest.

I think Beam has a low tolerance for criticism so he just doubles down when someone says they don't like things he likes.
That´s not true, i have nothing against warranted criticism, but spouting bullshit that i have low tolerance for. You do almost the same thing with Naruto when people critic it you just do it in another manner. And you are right sometimes because people are too harsh or just want to shit on it for no reason.

mhs004

If the finale of Bleach is Ichigo's dad dying and everyone defeating the soul king/bach and the world becoming peaceful followed by a quick time skip to show Ichigo and Orihime married with kids you know Beam will cry and say it's the greatest and most original ending in the history of manga.
What will happen to kisuke?

Dresden

Hey dudes, just a friendly warning that it's getting close to the ban line. Discussing (and criticizing) manga = okay, attacking other members is not. And Beam isn't the only one to blame here.

They toss anything that's ever been a story element in everything into tropes. It's impossible not to "follow tropes".

That's not what I meant. Too many typical shounen tropes for protagonists.

And what the fuck at shitting on the gloriousness that is FMA.

King Bradley was manly enough to take on a goddamn TANK. A FUCKING TANK.

Assassination Classroom 57
tumblr_mso1u6i4Ue1qbxqfpo1_500.png

That skull and then the rose...with seven months remaining, I wonder if the Death is the new antagonist that can enter the stage to keep things fresh (beyond the asano family line). Though Id feel a bit sad if he did enter in as that would mean Class E would fail in this next endeavor :(/

reading the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga right now and I can't shake the feeling that the anime didn't have nearly as much bullshitting as this. I mean, it still had lots but they are practically making up 90% of the card effects as they go.

Maybe I'm just misremembering.

Kurita

reading the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga right now and I can't shake the feeling that the anime didn't have nearly as much bullshitting as this. I mean, it still had lots but they are practically making up 90% of the card effects as they go.

I think you are. It's always been like this, especially during the Duelist Kingdom arc!

You talk about other yet, you can´t for the life of you dispute anything i said, since just don´t know how to discuss stuff. At the very least i back up my opinions, and i provide a lot of evidence to support it. while you throw attacks at me because you can´t rebuttal any of them. I pity you for having no opinion of your own and just follow other instead making your own arguments.

And I wouldn't even bother trying, no amount of evidence I could present would change your opinion on Bleach. A lot of the things you post point out how Kubo does foreshadow things like Zangetsu having always been the remnant of Bach and evidence of Ichigo always having been half quincy and I agree with most of that. I thought Bach and Zangetsu looked strikingly similar the moment Bach first appeared, and while rewatching Bleach on Toonami seeing Zangetsu talk about things like "what you want to protect is not what I want to protect" it does fit for me at least.

My problem with Bleach has always been too many characters and poor pacing at times such as the later half of Hueco Mundo and the Arracar war. For about 100 chapters from the time Kenpachi shows up to fight the six armed Espada to the defeat of the final Espada leaving only Aizen an Gin left the plot does not move forward at all. It truly is fight after fight after fight and while any one of these fights is enjoyable, when there are so many put together in a row they get boring. Also I'm not going to touch on the "bad art/no backgrounds" complaint because I find art to be subjective on what people think is and isn't good art and I honestly can't think of a time when reading Bleach that I was lost due to poor drawings so for me it's good enough.

IMO The Soul Society arc worked along with the first half of Hueco Mundo because it focused on the "main characters" Ichigo, Rukia, Renji, Chad, Uriyu, and Orihime. Everyone loves to complain about the Fullbringer arc but I honestly enjoyed it because it largely focused on just those characters even going as far as pitting them against Ichigo. Even then when the "soul society" shows up it mostly consists of the better developments members of the SS in Kenpachi, Hitsugaya, Byakura, Rukia, and Renji.

I don't think Bleach is "the most awful things ever" and I don't think most of manga/anime/toonami GAF does either. I don't get why people irrationally hate Bleach, but I don't get why you or others irrationally love it either. If anything I feel like there are probably more people who are middle ground who just "enjoy" the series that are pushed into "hating" it simply because they can't agree with your very passionate feelings and views about the series. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Bleach is in my top 5 favorite ongoing manga that I enjoy reading weekly/monthly, yes I've been known to butt heads with Bleach fans when I've disagreed with their opinions good or bad.

Hey dudes, just a friendly warning that it's getting close to the ban line. Discussing (and criticizing) manga = okay, attacking other members is not. And Beam isn't the only one to blame here.

Apologies to Beam, looking back my comments were a bit unfair to him.

The duels in battle city pretty much are 1:1 manga -> anime. Duels in duelist kingdom more or less play out similarly with a few minor exceptions that the anime was trying a bit more to follow the rules of the actual card game when it could. Also don't forget duelist kingdom doesn't use "expert rules" IE real life ones

I think you are. It's always been like this, especially during the Duelist Kingdom arc!

huh

I thought that it at least somewhat resembled something that could be based on an actual card game even during that arc. Not stuff like Mai's "Shadow of Eyes" being based on pheromones and thus not working on cards of the same gender :lol

The duels in battle city pretty much are 1:1 manga -> anime. Duels in duelist kingdom more or less play out similarly with a few minor exceptions that the anime was trying a bit more to follow the rules of the actual card game when it could. Also don't forget duelist kingdom doesn't use "expert rules" IE real life ones

I knew it seemed somewhat strange! Not that I'm seriously complaining, I knew more or less what I was getting myself into but it's a different kind of bullshitting.

I knew it seemed somewhat strange! Not that I'm seriously complaining, I knew more or less what I was getting myself into but it's a different kind of bullshitting.

To be fair I don't think the real game/rules existed until he was well into the duelist kingdom arc. Even comparing the first few kaiba duels in the second volume and death to to duelist kingdom and the rules of the game change

Kurita

Man, Battle City... It is one of the best shounen arcs ever.

To be fair I don't think the real game/rules existed until he was well into the duelist kingdom arc. Even comparing the first few kaiba duels in the second volume and death to to duelist kingdom and the rules of the game change

Yup, the real cards didn't exist back then, so the author did whatever he wanted.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Duelist Kingdom was straight up bullshit being pulled from their asses.

Oh, I know, it just bugged me because I faintly remembered it to be different.

Man, Battle City... It is one of the best shounen arcs ever.

I won't say it was one of the best... but it was hella enjoyable.

Yeah but it was good bullshit! The floating castle crashing on the monsters, the weird boomerang/chain combo. Oh my...

The labyrinth tag-team battle. sogood.jpg

It's one of the reasons I like gx and 5ds (subbed) so much is that they didn't have to adapt an on going manga. Duels were way better in those shows

It's really pathetic how kishi pulls this huge world out of his ass and yet spent all his time focussing solely on Konoha. Tragic, really.

Imagine if, in FMA, the Ishvalans, Briggs soldiers, mustang's old unit from Ishval, and Grumman and the Eastern army all showed up to the final battle iwthout having been seen at all in the rest of the manga.

That's sort of what happened in Naruto.

Ha! Great point, I never thought of that. Just one of the many failures of that series post Part 1.

I thought Bleach was deep...when I was 14, lol. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Anyways.

Assassination Classroom 57

Aw, shit! Nagisa learning assassination straight from one of the pros. Loved Koro-sensei's hidey-hole, too.

Angry Grimace

That´s not true, i have nothing against warranted criticism, but spouting bullshit that i have low tolerance for. You do almost the same thing with Naruto when people critic it you just do it in another manner. And you are right sometimes because people are too harsh or just want to shit on it for no reason.

I don't know that I agree. A large percentage of the time the criticism towards Naruto is warranted; its only annoying when people generically complain about things without any well-thought out reasons just to be contrarians.

LeleSocho

Banned
The only thing i remember about Yu-Gi-Oh is the card's heart and that was some bullshit adaptation to explain how Yugi/Yami could pick the card he needed right before he was crushed...

"I believe in the heart of the cards!"
*picks up card*
"Just what i needed, thx cards. I WILL NOW ACTIVATE THIS CARD THAT'LL FUCK UP YOUR 999999 LIFE POINTS"

The heart of the cards. I remember being obsessed about About Yu Gi Oh. My first WTF was when he pulled dark magician girl, and i was thinking where did he get that card, hehe. I guess my favorite part was the one before the last one. The tournament arranged by Kiba. My favorite fight is either Yigi vs. Kiba, or Yugi vs. Yugi.

The heart of the cards. I remember being obsessed about About Yu Gi Oh. My first WTF was when he pulled dark magician girl, and i was thinking where did he get that card, hehe. I guess my favorite part was the one before the last one. The tournament arranged by Kiba. My favorite fight is either Yigi vs. Kiba, or Yugi vs. Yugi.

I don't recall in the manga but in the anime they have an episode where yugi and tea/anzu go on a date and he buys booster packs in the episode.

You should really watch ZeXal, wwwwwwwwwww.

I enjoyed it from what I saw, it just went by the way side and I've been sitting around 25ish episodes in. I do plan to watch all of it I just need to stop being indecisive and sit down and just read/watch one thing lol

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Let´s not forget how shitty FMA´s ending is. The Greed thing, the back door thing, the no casualty thing. Massive disappointment all around.

What was so shitty about the "greed thing?"

Greed softened Father's body to the point where Ed's next attack created an opening for all the souls within him to escape.

The back door thing was hinted at way back when Ed hypothesized that Al and his souls got mixed together, and flat out confirmed when Ed escaped from Gluttony ("Why are there two doors?"). I may be mixing up the order of events, but the two doors and an explanation for them were already provided.

Not sure what you mean by the whole "no casualty" thing, especially since there were casualties. Also, you don't seem to realize that most of the major protagonists and named characters are among the most elite fighters in the FMA universe. And everyone stationed at Briggs is basically special ops.

Just going by the military/ex-military members, I think the lowest-ranked named character in the story was Kain Fuery (Sergeant Major, which is E9, the top military rank for an enlisted), and he was one of the nation's top communications/surveillance experts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom