• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mao Zedong, one of the most evil men in history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiteSeer

... very rare to see Native Americans living next door.

ask a native and he'll probably say andrew jackson, mr. $20 bill, is as evil as a hitler or a mao. i mean his policy of driving out the natives east of the mississippi is straight up ethnic cleansing.

The situation with modern Native Americans is easily one of the most swept under the rug conspiracies in the United States. So many shifty things involving their communities.

SiteSeer

my friend who did a native studies program in college told me some stories from a rhode island tribe who's had trouble with the us gov't in recent years. basically the gist is, whenever the gov't need some extra revenue they would 'lean' on the tribe for this or that and negotiate hard for it (taxes on tobacco, say), but when the tribe needed something in return, maybe programs in health or education, the gov't would basically stonewall them and flat out deny any responsibility over their 'tribal governance'.

south american natives plight also seem to be totally ignored by everyone.

_Xenon_

Banned
He made China independent from foreign influence, he started the nuclear project. Just because of these 2 points he's a great leader to China and a sand in the eye to the west. He made a couple of huge mistakes later on but you can't deny the fact that without him today's China won't be the same (no I don't view Taiwan, Japan or Korea as a better version).

remnant

Banned
He made China independent from foreign influence, he started the nuclear project. Just because of these 2 points he's a great leader to China and a sand in the eye to the west. He made a couple of huge mistakes later on but you can't deny the fact that without him today's China won't be the same (no I don't view Taiwan, Japan or Korea as a better version).

His policies murdered 35 million people but starting a nuclear project wipes that clean?

And why is "foreign influence" a bad thing. China is just as , if not more involved in the global economy now than they have ever been, and it seems to be working out well.

Slavik81

GDP per capita (2010):
Japan - $40,780
Sourth Korea - $18,647
Taiwan - $18,545
China - $3,920

Mao wasted decades worth of potential economic development, and achieved to make up for it. A more competent government could have achieved much more.

Fighting an ideological and political battle against Deng Xiaoping was a particularly bad move. The pragmatic economic shifts instituted in the 1970s after his death are the real foundations of China's modern success.

_Xenon_

Banned
His policies murdered 35 million people but starting a nuclear project wipes that clean?

And why is "foreign influence" a bad thing. China is just as , if not more involved in the global economy now than they have ever been, and it seems to be working out well.

The Chinese people today are not suffering from his bad policies, and the Chinese people today are benefiting from China's influence (if we didn't have an nuclear project, with today's situation your government would claim they found OBL in China), so from a today's Chinese pov he did all right.

As for "foreign influence", I'm not talking about closing up and doing nothing globally, I'm talking about building a country in its own way.
GDP per capita (2010):
Japan - $40,780
Sourth Korea - $18,647
Taiwan - $18,545
China - $3,920

Mao wasted decades worth of potential economic development, and achieved to make up for it. A more competent government could have achieved much more.

Fighting an ideological and political battle against Deng Xiaoping was a particularly bad move. The pragmatic economic shifts instituted in the 1970s after his death are the real foundations of China's modern success.
If I were a 90yo man then yes those 3 are better because the moment right now is all that matters for me but sorry I'm young and I'd like to look at the future. Sure today they have higher GDP than China but they simply cannot get rid off the influence either from the US or China, which means their future are pretty much controlled by others not themselves. Case 1: Japan's currency and Japan's economy. Case 2: ECFA.

Besides, if there were not a strong China, you think the US would give 2 shit about those 3? A country that killed the US car industry and 2 regions that killed the US consumer electronics industry. You think the US wouldn't do something to them if it didn't need the help of those 3 to "balance the force"? Case 3: Hillary's recent visits in SEA, including the old rival of the US: Vietnam.

numble

By foreign influence, he's most likely talking about foreign control/power--Communism, after all, is also "foreign influence." Control/power over China was given to Japan, UK, USA, Russia, France, Portugal, etc. stemming from the so-called "Unequal Treaties." Many in China would also include the Qing dynasty as "foreign" control, as the emperors were not ethnic Han Chinese.

rpmurphy

By foreign influence, he's most likely talking about foreign control/power--Communism, after all, is also "foreign influence." Control/power over China was given to Japan, UK, USA, Russia, France, Portugal, etc. stemming from the so-called "Unequal Treaties." Many in China would also include the Qing dynasty as "foreign" control, as the emperors were not ethnic Han Chinese.
Also, part of China was being actively colonized by Japan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchukuo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom