• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MapleStory 2 is real. Beta in 2014.

JordanN

Banned
MMO Site said:
ib11ykbnhj1FTB.jpg

MapleStory 2 finally surfaced today. Developed by N Square, a development studio that cooperated by NCsoft and Nexon, MapleStory 2 released the teaser site in Korea. This is the first time that we hear the official news about MapleStory's sequel.

MapleStory 2's background story happens earlier than MapleStory's. The 3D MMORPG will have many familiar monsters from MapleStory, but it has its own unique gameplay and settings.

MapleStory 2 is planned to kick off beta test in Korea next year. Besides MapleStory 2, N Square is also developing Mabinogi II : Arena, Project K etc. More information about MapleStory 2 will be unveiled by Nexon soon. However, we will not get anything about the game from Nexon at the upcoming G-Star.
http://news.mmosite.com/content/2013-11-06/maplestory_2_debuts_beta_test_coming_next_year.shtml

The Teaser site:
http://maplestory2.nexon.com/

The first Maplestory is probably the only MMO I've actually progressed far enough in so I guess I'm going to have to take a look at this one as well.

RPGCrazied

I played the first one for a bit, but hated the store so much. All you are doing is basically renting the item for 3 months, then you have to buy it again? I think not.

Not sure about the whole 3D thing, but it will be interesting to see.

I played MapleStory a lot when I was younger, but then I got bored of it because of the store.

Laieon

Maple Story was the first MMO I ever played, quit shortly after they added that alien section to lego land. I can't say I've ever had the desire to go back, I remember it being insanely grindy.

...also, I completely agree with RPGcrazied. The store system was god awful.

HardRojo

I really enjoyed my 2 years playing MapleStory, it had such a charming setting and many of my friends played it too, then it became a Pay a lot 2 Win game and people who spent lots of money on the game started feeling like they owned it, I ended up quitting.
I remember I got a haircut, pet and some other stuff but that was it :/ The music still makes me a little bit nostalgic.

Edit: Just read about 3D... They're sending it to die already, 2D is perfect for this game.

FluxWaveZ

No way.

I will not give in to the temptation to get addicted to this again. I'll... try it out when I get to, though. 3D will probably ensure I spend little time with it, though.

leakey

MapleStory 1 quickly went down the toilet with Pay to Win BS taking over. I really did like the 2d art though. Now the sequel plans to throw it away and go even more generic.

If it's streamlined significantly, I'll give Maple another go. They made a good effort to trim fat with the Big Bang update, but just about every update since then has made the game more bloated than ever.

FAQ translated

http://orangemushroom.wordpress.com/2013/11/06/maplestory-2/

Q1. What is the difference between ‘MapleStory’ and ‘MapleStory 2′?

‘MapleStory 2′ is a full 3D MMORPG with a quarter view. It is being developed as a distinct game.

Q2. Will ‘MapleStory’ and ‘MapleStory 2′ have the same worlds, characters, and monsters?

‘MapleStory 2′ takes place in a world from a previous time period. Some monsters and areas from ‘MapleStory’ might show up but ‘MapleStory 2′ is being developed to have different and interesting characteristics.

Q3. Will ‘MapleStory’ and ‘MapleStory 2′ have connected service between the two games?

As said before, ‘MapleStory 2′ is a completely different game and will not connect services with ‘MapleStory’. However, users might be able to enjoy some of the same content or events in both games.

Q4. Do ‘MapleStory’ and ‘MapleStory 2′ have the same development team?

They are different. ‘MapleStory’ is being worked on in the Maple headquarters while ‘MapleStory 2′ will be developed at another headquarters.

Q5. When is service scheduled for ‘MapleStory 2′?

Next year (2014) will see the release of the first user testing.

Q6. When ‘MapleStory 2′ comes out, will ‘MapleStory’ end?

No. ‘MapleStory’ and ‘MapleStory 2′ are different games and you will be able to have distinct experiences with both. Nexon plans to continue to support and grow both games.

Q7. Now that ‘MapleStory 2′ has been announced, where can I keep up to date about news?

The ‘MapleStory 2′ teaser page which is now open to the public will have all the latest about the game’s development.

so, its a separate game... and overhead? hmmm...

MapleStory 1 quickly went down the toilet with Pay to Win BS taking over.

I didn't feel it was that bad. Probably because I was playing Gunbound before MS. Now THAT one really went overboard with the Pay 2 Win shit and became literally unplayable.

Played it hardcore for 3 years.

Watched as it became a pay to win game.

Watched as it got hacked to hell every 2 months.

Watched the economy fall apart monthly.

Watched as classes were 'rebalanced' once a year and not really balanced.

Watched as the end game was ruined by the absolute shit community aside from a few exceptions.

Don't know if MS 2 will change anything, and I certainly will look into it with very humbled eyes.

I didn't feel it was that bad. Probably because I was playing Gunbound before MS. Now THAT one really went overboard with the Pay 2 Win shit and became literally unplayable.

Yeah, once Ijji had their hands on the NA version of the game, it certainly fell apart.

Man did THAT hurt.

I tried going back to Gunbound recently on their Asian servers and it....is often dead. Even more pay to win shit. Thor's Hammer has had its coffin ripped into and re-massacred.

I miss using my Ice bot.... I still remember all my formulas :D

I enjoyed MapleStory quite a bit around '06-'09. The community was great, everything seemed fair from a balance perspective, and even though grinding was the main focus of the game, it never really felt tedious to me.

I feel like the game became something it wasn't after the Big Bang patch. They introduce so many classes now a days that I can't even keep up, and the cash shop now equals Pay2Win, as opposed to Pay2LookCool like it was back in the day.

I'll probably give it a shot, but I'm not going in with high expectations.

qazqaNii

One of my most played games in the history of my life if not most, probably somewhere in top5 with counterstrike, r.o.s.e online xxx servers being there also.

Had some awesome moments, will probably not play the 3d version because the charm with maplestory was the 2d.

Damn ye good old times.

I enjoyed MapleStory quite a bit around '06-'09. The community was great, everything seemed fair from a balance perspective, and even though grinding was the main focus of the game, it never really felt tedious to me.

I feel like the game became something it wasn't after the Big Bang patch. They introduce so many classes now a days that I can't even keep up, and the cash shop now equals Pay2Win, as opposed to Pay2LookCool like it was back in the day.

I'll probably give it a shot, but I'm not going in with high expectations.

Yeah.

The focus went from leveling one character and making it strong to..... take as many new characters to 200 as possible. The game was never originally designed for this and it shows.

starmud

I sadly blew so many hours playing maple >.> I made some great friends through the game though. Ill try it.

May be fun until cash shop utterly destroys it.

yeah... cubing fucked everything up. people that spends $1000s of real life bucks can easily do 10x the damage of someone using no money.

And the funny thing is the high level bosses impossible for even the best of the best.

Game is wack in other ways too. recent patch really buffed up their censor filter. the word 'party' is censored for fuck sake lol. Many legit folks were getting banned too this summer for no reason, or due to be possessing hacked mesos (what can you do if someone buys your shit with hacked mesos? )

Apparently many of the prominent voices of nexon over there have left too... so yeah this game is probably done real soon unless they do some drastic stuff.

Popnbake

Played it hardcore for 3 years.

Watched as it became a pay to win game.

Watched as it got hacked to hell every 2 months.

Watched the economy fall apart monthly.

Watched as classes were 'rebalanced' once a year and not really balanced.

Watched as the end game was ruined by the absolute shit community aside from a few exceptions.

Don't know if MS 2 will change anything, and I certainly will look into it with very humbled eyes.

It's a shame because players have become so invested into the game (especially after Unlimited) that they are reluctant to try out Maplestory 2 after spending so much money on their characters.

Keyouta

I want a Ragnarok Online 2 and Maplestory 2 with the same style as the first games. Higher res, new stories, new enemies, new world etc. I don't know why these MMOs feel the need to go 3D.

funny enough this made me log on ms today. neat that they finally added widescreen... and for some reason my battlemage's damage has nearly doubled since i last logged on. balance updates... jeesh.

ms.png

Still no where near the new 50mil damage capt hough.

injurai

Banned
I don't think middle school still has a myspace crowd that this game would interest. Scene died when facebook began.

Shoyz

No 2D Complaints! They obviously aren't going to make a 2D sequel to run alongside the 2D original.

I never really cared about the 'P2W' aspects of MapleStory since it's not like I needed to buy 2x to enjoy the game. Royal Hairstyles where you had to pay $4 for a like 1/10 -chance- at getting the hair you wanted and their $1-$3 mystery boxes with a tiny chance at the pet I wanted is where I drew the line and ended up quitting. They also scammed me out of $20 with a technicality in a marriage event. :/

The old aspect of MapleStory I really missed though was the heavy emphasis on PQs, I remember spending all-nighters rushing through Ludi PQ over and over when we had nobody auto-clicking our channel and managing to get an entire level up out of it. Good times..somehow they cut the amount of EXP needed to level and killed PQs in the process, ghost towns nowadays.

No 2D Complaints! They obviously aren't going to make a 2D sequel to run alongside the 2D original.

I never really cared about the 'P2W' aspects of MapleStory since it's not like I needed to buy 2x to enjoy the game. Royal Hairstyles where you had to pay $4 for a like 1/10 -chance- at getting the hair you wanted and their $1-$3 mystery boxes with a tiny chance at the pet I wanted is where I drew the line and ended up quitting. They also scammed me out of $20 with a technicality in a marriage event. :/

The old aspect of MapleStory I really missed though was the heavy emphasis on PQs, I remember spending all-nighters rushing through Ludi PQ over and over when we had nobody auto-clicking our channel and managing to get an entire level up out of it. Good times..

you haven't logged on in a while eh? Game is pure p2w.

Shoyz

you haven't logged on in a while eh? Game is pure p2w.

No joke: Spent $100+ in NX on the Pink Bean boxes and got nothing. I spent a month grinding up a Dual Blade to level 100 during the launch event where hitting 100 in the first month gives you a special white mask. Did it within the final hours with a huge all-day all-night stretch. First thing I did was use a 90% potential scroll..and broke it.
Gave Mercedes a quick try later on but that was pretty much the end of the game for me.

GulAtiCa

Man, I forgot all about the first game. A few friends of mine played it a lot back in college. Like 6 or so years ago.

v1lla21

Man, I remember when I used to play MS. My sisters still play it. I got a blue and red snowboard and people would always try to buy them from me but I never sold them.

Village

I avoid all Nexon games because Nexon is the greediest uncaring video game company out there.

Can I have some context, I have seen them around. I was a teen on the web, but I never played any of their games. I have heard similar things, any reason why though?

Spinluck

Me and my friends used to get on this around the time Vista first came out. Had no idea it is still out lol.

They waited this long for a sequel?

Can I have some context, I have seen them around. I was a teen on the web, but I never played any of their games. I have heard similar things, any reason why though?

piss poor customer service (still have a few tickets open from 3 years ago). it being a korean service, the NA team can't do shit about bugs balance issues or anything.

there hasn't been a more play to win game yet imo.

In maplestory, if you spend $1000s of real life money, you can outdamage people your level by 10x easily, and yet even then you will have a hard time taking on the hardest bosses in the game because of a recent rebalance.

Also the game is extremely prone to hacking and gold duplication, where if some fake money ended up on your character somehow, even from legit purchases, you have a chance of being banned.

It really is just a huge clusterfuck.

Village

piss poor customer service (still have a few tickets open from 3 years ago). it being a korean service, the NA team can't do shit about bugs balance issues or anything.

there hasn't been a more play to win game yet imo.

In maplestory, if you spend $1000s of real life money, you can outdamage people your level by 10x easily, and yet even then you will have a hard time taking on the hardest bosses in the game because of a recent rebalance.

Also the game is extremely prone to hacking and gold duplication, where if some fake money ended up on your character somehow, even from legit purchases, you have a chance of being banned.

It really is just a huge clusterfuck.

Oh god that sounds horrible, do the people behind just do not care. Or is it just incompetence.

Well either way they are doing MS2

Top Bottom