• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Margot Robbie, Pirates Reboot, Birds of Prey Writer ??? When did this happen?

GymWolf

Well, this is the internet, and there are plenty of photographs around of these women you find hotter than Margot.
Post some and we may decide.

Your post above just smells of "sharp knees" and made me laugh a bit to be honest.
Onestly?? 99,99% of the redhead topic is far better than robbie for my tastes.

Last edited:
it's funny, only 30 years ago i was actually at the Pirates of the Caribbean ride watching animatronic privateers auction off women as sex slaves.

now, those pirates are super woke!

Is Disney open again? Is Johnny Depp still part of the ride? Or have they used Covid as an excuse to shuffle him off into the archives?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i dont know. never saw it with Depp! i was going to visit my grandma in Florida earlier this year but VID stopped that from happening. no that we would have gone to Disneyland... but maybe!

i do have the vinyl record, which is really dope. the first side is a narrated trip through the 60's og ride. side two is a guy singing old tyme pirate shanties. i went during the second time i visited Disneyland, probably 30 years ago.

the original pirates ride was the best. back when Disney used to do more traditional/folk oriented IPs. that's what i fell in love with as a kid: Aladdin, Cindarella, Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, all these were based on really old stories that were more folkloric in nature. everything they make now super corporate, either based a modern IP or a remake of their own property. imo Pirates is actually still one of the last remaining vestiges of original fantasy programming from the big D. based not on a comic or book or movie but a general folkloric idea.

on vacation recently i watched through the first 3 movies again with the family, and they really hold up. Depp of course the centerpiece and star of the show, but it was a good series in itself, with many good character actors, lots to appreciate when he wasn't onscreen. the leads were great young action heroes in the classic Hollywood vein. i also like the dynamic of the two down-on-their-luck pirate friends, one with a glass eye that is always comedically falling out or being stolen by a monkey, it was kind of C-3PO/R2 style friendship, but with pirates. the villains were always unique and very well done and even iconic in a classic fantasy way -- Geoffery Rush's rotting Ghost Pirate Barbosa being the closest thing to a live action LeChuck we will ever see, and the strange Lovercraftian creatures of Davy Jones' crew from the 2nd were particularly memorable.

MVP of the whole series i would say isn't even Depp himself but character actor Kevin McNally, who puts in a lot of time pulling a lot of dramatic/expositional weight. some of the movies even end on a close of up of this guy saying an awesome piratey thing. dude is highly underrated and i hope he shows up in any future movies they do.

walt-disney-pictures-presents-pirates-of-the-caribbean-dead-mans-chest-kevin-mcnally-keira-knightley-PM4MNG.jpg

it is a series that celebrates the classic serialized fantasy that Indiana Jones and Star Wars always hearkened back to, but it is original and unique to Disney, so i think there is a lot of magic still in there to mine, if they do it smartly. Pirates is almost the last of Disney's wholly original classic b-movie pulp fantasy franchises.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
So we’re just collectively forgetting about Elizabeth Swann’s character arc from pseudo damsel in distress to total pirate by the end of the original trilogy?

Just like how we collectively forgot all the black superhero movies that existed before black Panther.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Just like how we collectively forgot all the black superhero movies that existed before black Panther.

Forgetting about Blade or even Blade 2 is a crime.

But I'll forgive people if they don't remember Meteor Man or Blankman. I bet some people reading this comment haven't thought about either of those two movies in years or even decades.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Of course.. and Margot Robbie was a standout in the hugely successful Wolf of Wall Street. She was also basically the top billed star/aspect of Suicide Squad, a movie that made $750 million worldwide and made her character Harley Quinn a household name and super common halloween costume.

You write like you are a PR agent in the employ of either Disney or Margot.

#Phonepunk#

Banned

But I'll forgive people if they don't remember Meteor Man or Blankman. I bet some people reading this comment haven't thought about either of those two movies in years or even decades.
Meteor Man is an awesome movie with a good message too. shame how it gets ignored.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
You write like you are a PR agent in the employ of either Disney or Margot.
No; I write like I'm describing the reality of how a Hollywood star became a Hollywood star.

Is there anything untrue about what I said? She was huge after Wolf of Wall Street.. her performance was talked about a lot.. and one particular scene became infamous. And while I thought she was annoying as fuck as Harley Quinn, that was clearly another big performance for her.

An all female pirate ship could make for a great movie if Hollywood wasn't up its own ass with social justice and female empowerment.

Futaleufu

I remember this mid 90s western with Madeleine Stowe and Drew Barrymore where they go from harlots to cowgirls. It was "women power" without pandering, the women had to overcome their weaknesses to stand up against the bandits (patriarchy) and earn that victory. No recent movie has been written like that.

cryptoadam

Banned

Your racist for forgetting Steele.

Shaq was robbed of his oscar. Best movie since Kazzam

Top Bottom