• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

TheNatural

My Member!
Thinking of getting a 3DS and this game before baseball season starts. Got my radio ordered, and one of my favorite time killers is to listen to baseball and play a mindless game that I don't have to listen and read things in the game and be distracted from what I'm doing in the game or listening to the game.

Anyone have any insight on how it compares to other Mario Karts? I actually haven't played one for a while, the last I had was Double Dash a couple years ago, which was okay, but nothing special IMO. Never played the Wii or DS one. Mario Kart 64 has been my favorite.

Also, how well does the online part do? Does the fact that one of the courses can be glitched to skip ahead now fuck you up completely if you ever want to play a fair game? Can you prevent others from picking that course if you don't want to play it? Just wondering how badly the online is nerfed now. Thanks.

Lingitiz

Thinking of getting a 3DS and this game before baseball season starts. Got my radio ordered, and one of my favorite time killers is to listen to baseball and play a mindless game that I don't have to listen and read things in the game and be distracted from what I'm doing in the game or listening to the game.

Anyone have any insight on how it compares to other Mario Karts? I actually haven't played one for a while, the last I had was Double Dash a couple years ago, which was okay, but nothing special IMO. Never played the Wii or DS one. Mario Kart 64 has been my favorite.

Also, how well does the online part do? Does the fact that one of the courses can be glitched to skip ahead now fuck you up completely if you ever want to play a fair game? Can you prevent others from picking that course if you don't want to play it? Just wondering how badly the online is nerfed now. Thanks.

I've only been playing for over a day now but I like the item selection alot more than past MKs. I feel like there's a lot less cheap shots and more skill involved. I'm not an expert in any way though.

TheNatural

My Member!
I've only been playing for over a day now but I like the item selection alot more than past MKs. I feel like there's a lot less cheap shots and more skill involved. I'm not an expert in any way though.

Ah okay. I've read various reviews, it seems some people are lukewarm on it because it's more of the same type of stuff, but I've literally played no recent Mario Kart. I got a Double Dash Gamecube bundle years ago on clearance and played that, but never played the Wii or DS courses which I understand are the "retro" courses in this one. So it would be all new to me.

How does the online work though, is it possible to avoid playing people on that glitched course?

TheNatural

My Member!
I've been playing WW a lot and there's way less people spamming it now. Everybody knows about it and everyone knows how to do it so the advantage has kind of been lost.

Yeah but if someone does it and you don't aren't you kinda fucked? That's the thing with online game exploits, it basically comes down to either use the exploit or hope no one does.

Also looking at videos online, are all the races just one off races over and over again? There's no online aggregate scoring for a Cup racing event?

Yeah but if someone does it and you don't aren't you kinda fucked? That's the thing with online game exploits, it basically comes down to either use the exploit or hope no one does.

Also looking at videos online, are all the races just one off races over and over again? There's no online aggregate scoring for a Cup racing event?

I've seen people exploit the glitch and still get beaten by someone who didn't but usually the guy that comes in first is someone who glitched. The best course of action unfortunately is to just do the glitch with everyone else. I do feel bad when someone in the group doesn't do it though.

For cup races you have to join communities. The GAF community isn't as active as others but there's (almost) no glitching and very few intentional dropouts.

TheNatural

My Member!
I've seen people exploit the glitch and still get beaten by someone who didn't but usually the guy that comes in first is someone who glitched. The best course of action unfortunately is to just do the glitch with everyone else. I do feel bad when someone in the group doesn't do it though.

For cup races you have to join communities. The GAF community isn't as active as others but there's (almost) no glitching and very few intentional dropouts.

Ah cool. So the cup races are just like the typical Mario Kart ones? Like getting points for first, second, third, etc and then adding up for the winner after the races?

Ah cool. So the cup races are just like the typical Mario Kart ones? Like getting points for first, second, third, etc and then adding up for the winner after the races?

Exactly, They're a lot of fun but I've yet to find a community aside from GAFs where everyone in the bottom tier doesn't drop out after the first race. It really ruins things as there are no bots unless someone get disconnected during the current race and the points drop with fewer racers. Basically whoever wins the first race wins the cup.

We've prayed for Nintendo to patch some of this stuff but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. Don't let me get you down though, the game is still tons of fun.

TheNatural

My Member!
Exactly, They're a lot of fun but I've yet to find a community aside from GAFs where everyone in the bottom tier doesn't drop out after the first race. It really ruins things as there are no bots unless someone get disconnected during the current race and the points drop with fewer racers. Basically whoever wins the first race wins the cup.

We've prayed for Nintendo to patch some of this stuff but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. Don't let me get you down though, the game is still tons of fun.

Well if I get in on it I'll join you guys. It might not be for a few weeks though, unless a really good deal pops up soon. Then again, I don't know if people here will even be interested in playing a month or so from now too. :p

Zero148

yeah, I think I have to play single player a bit more to get better carts. I hadn't quite a chance in one on one against you ;) Or I have just to practice lol. It couldn't be the chosen charakter.

But it was fun and your absolutely right about the amount of people. For me its quite hard to find opponents in the community at the moment, becaused based on the times of most race related posts in this thread, the majority of Mario Kart Gaffers (or Gaffers in general) lives in the united states ^^

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
yeah, I think I have to play single player a bit more to get better carts. I hadn't quite a chance in one on one against you ;) Or I have just to practice lol. It couldn't be the chosen charakter.

But it was fun and your absolutely right about the amount of people. For me its quite hard to find opponents in the community at the moment, becaused based on the times of most race related posts in this thread, the majority of Mario Kart Gaffers (or Gaffers in general) lives in the united states ^^
Haha, nah you definitely had me on the ropes a couple of times but it seemed like the Slick tires you were using messed up your handling at the worst possible times during our races. ;P

I don't think it's just you having trouble finding matches, just that overall activity is pretty low. Going by the 100 player number on the Community leaderboard-thing, it looks like there's a lot less people playing in the gaf community in general. When I last played the game, shortly after my file got corrupted, the number on the gaf community was at 500-ish.

Prinny

-closed-

Edit: I felt bad when I used that blue shell in Mario Circuit :(

Edit2: Is it a double post if your last post was more than one hour ago?

Edit3: Why is it always disconnecting :( Anyway, it was fun to play with you Mak :)

Robin64

Does information saved in Communities reset after a while?

I ask because, despite having played matches in the NeoGAF community back in December and scoring points, I now have 0 points.
Similarly, the community my close friends and I set up (there's only a few of us in it) still exists but nobody is on the leaderboard there at all and I, once again, have 0 points.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Does information saved in Communities reset after a while?

I ask because, despite having played matches in the NeoGAF community back in December and scoring points, I now have 0 points.
Similarly, the community my close friends and I set up (there's only a few of us in it) still exists but nobody is on the leaderboard there at all and I, once again, have 0 points.

yea, it resets. They want you to keep on your game.

Dr Prob

Banned
Oh. The thread is over here now. AHA!

I think we should set up a scheduled meet up time, so the community can have some semblance of a community for at least half an hour each day.

Make it happen dude. No one is ever on when I check, and worldwides hurt my brain. It's either a glitch-fest or retro RR again and again with the Japanese Players. Why!?

I support having scheduled races, everytime I look at the community it's empty :(

this.

i'm on EST , weeknights and afternoons are good for me, though i sometimes play randomly in the morning haha

Is this real life? I just played a Maka Wuhu match where three players voted for the map but nobody used the glitch.

i've noticed that to lately, nice to see since that map is growing on me and without glitchers its fun.

Revven

I'm on EST as well, though lately I've been mostly playing UC3 (Uncharted 3) multiplayer so... I don't know when I could get on but generally anytime in the afternoon typically works for me.

Prinny

Did someone get hit by the banana on the shortcut jump at the end of wario shipyard?

Sorry Greg, I 'accidently' pressed the brake while I was holding a red shell behind me in Dino Jungle.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Slipped on my own banana, of all things. I threw it ahead of myself after getting inked by someone's blooper!

I was glad just to be there after how many times I got hit. I ran right into that peel Prinny left on the glider launch even though I saw it.

Haha, yeah it happens. I know it too well!

Top Bottom