• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

Cyanity

Banned
Incredible. I can't justify buying it at full price, already having it on Wii U with the DLC, but if it somehow ever becomes a "Greatest Hits" (or whatever Nintendo calls them) I'll definitely pick it up.

MK 8 Deluxe edition will never go down in price.

edit - the original Mario Kart 8 is STILL selling for full price

double edit - okay, you'll probably be able to get it $10 off on amazon or something like that

Davey Cakes

I'm just going to say it. I'm jealous of anyone jumping into MK8DX as their first experience with the game.

The amount of content and polish, plus the option for fully portable play make for a mind blowing package IMO.

This game was (is) fantastic on Wii U. I generally don't care much for the MK series (thought 64 was alright, didn't enjoy DD much, thought Wii was junk) but I really love this game. Still play it regularly online with the wife.

Anyone who hasn't played this before, make sure to give it a go even if you don't usually care for Mario Kart.

Can't wait for this to come out next week! Extremely jealous of people who are going to play this for the first time. Can't wait to play as my favorite boy, Dry Bones!

Anyone knows if it's possible to play 8 players in two switches, 4 in each one? (TV mode of course, not in the Switch screen)

Thanks!

I also want to know about this, this was the best feature of Double Dash.

No, I think it's two players max per Switch in any network play (either local or online).

Do you know this for sure? If someone else has confirmation I'd love to hear it.

We used to play 8 player Double Dash with the LAN adapter basically 3-4 times a week. This type of functionality makes way too much sense for the Switch's form factor, I do hope it gets added if it's truly not there at launch.

Also there is way too much Double Dash hate on this page. Double Dash is easily my second favorite behind MK8. MKWii was such a let down between those two.

I also want to know about this, this was the best feature of Double Dash.

Do you know this for sure? If someone else has confirmation I'd love to hear it.

We used to play 8 player Double Dash with the LAN adapter basically 3-4 times a week. This type of functionality makes way too much sense for the Switch's form factor, I do hope it gets added if it's truly not there at launch.

Also there is way too much Double Dash hate on this page. Double Dash is easily my second favorite behind MK8. MKWii was such a let down between those two.

It's 4 players split screen if you are only playing on one screen, if multiple Switches are connected then it's​ restricted to only 2 players for console.

tolkir

New players when they listen the courses themes of the soundtrack.

0JWdD.gif

Tyeforce

Do we know if it's possible to play wirelessly between multiple Switches, with at least one Switch being docked and the others in handheld mode? Or is wireless local multiplayer limited to handheld mode for all Switch systems?

stoke1863

Double Dash is the best Mario Kart, then 8. The worst is easily Wii.

giphy.gif

Agreed!

Cant wait to pick this up, i haven't played MK8 as i skipped on the WiiU

Ive got friends coming around on launch just to play, I have my Pro controller ready!

How noticeable is the 30fps split screen? we will be playing 3 or 4 split

Thinking of getting a switch in the summer.

Does this game support the pro controller? Want to make sure a good number of games support it before buying.

trixx

I think Double dash is second after 8. Mario kart ds only beats DD because it had more tracks and single player mode.

I think from local multiplayer standpoint double dash is only second to mario kart 8. DD multiplayer is extremely competitive if you have two people that are quite good. Double items/specials and the character/vehicle variety combinations are sooo goood.

Not to mention its the first game to have 2 player grand prix. Mario kart wii is terrible.

MK8>DD>DS>7>Super/Super Circuit>64>Wii

I think Double dash is second after 8. Mario kart ds only beats DD because it had more tracks and single player mode.

I think from local multiplayer standpoint double dash is only second to mario kart 8. DD multiplayer is extremely competitive if you have two people that are quite good. Double items/specials and the character/vehicle variety combinations are sooo goood.

I rocked the Diddy and Red Parakoopa combo. Gaint Bananas and Three Red Shells for days

Steejee

Double Dash was great - when you had some non-gamer types with you it was the perfect multiplayer game. They'd take the back of the karts, gamers the front, and mayhem ensued.

Seeing a review thread threw me off - thought I had the release timeframe in my head wrong.

Now to just decide if I'll get Physical or Digital...

It's 4 players split screen if you are only playing on one screen, if multiple Switches are connected then it's​ restricted to only 2 players for console.

Right, 4 players split screen on one console of course but I'm a bit surprised they don't even allow 4 player split screen for two locally connected consoles.

I really hope that gets added.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Double Dash was great - when you had some non-gamer types with you it was the perfect multiplayer game. They'd take the back of the karts, gamers the front, and mayhem ensued.

Seeing a review thread threw me off - thought I had the release timeframe in my head wrong.

Now to just decide if I'll get Physical or Digital...
I'm paying the digital premium so I have access to the game at all times.

trixx

Toadette + Parakoopa for life.
My brother will always use this combination, every time. It's really good.

Also the switch mechanic is so tactical. If you're in like 4th-8th place you have toadette/toad or baby mario at the back to get gold mushroom/chain chomp respectively so you can catch up. Then in earlier placed 4th-2nd have someone like diddy/koopa/bowser jr/yoshi/mario and so on to get their specials.

then you have to consider heavy vs light, speed/acceleration, turning..

Love that game

Any of the reviews talk about how it felt with the single joycons in tabletop mode?
It obviously isn't as comfortable as a proper controller but it feels pretty good, feels great with gyro on.

It's basically like a smaller Wii Remote with an analog stick.

J@hranimo

Banned
I'm glad to see the Double Dash peeps see that Paratroopa + (insert Diddy Kong/Toad,Toadette, Bowser JR.) is the way to go.

But honestly Toad is best with Paratroppa because wahahaha!

I used to use Paratroopa + Bowser Jr for no other reason than I thought it was fun to have the minion drive around Bowser Jr

And also the giant Bowser shell was a cool item

They should have brought Paratroopa back as an alt for Koopa

I did run Luigi + King Boo for quite some time, but big karts were kind of bad in DD, so I switched to light racers.

Top Bottom