• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

KHlover

Banned
I would not get any major game digitally until some form of backup saves have been implemented.
Saves are not stored on the cartridge, so that doesn't make a lick of a difference. If the storage fails you're fucked either way and you can't continue your saved game on a buddy's console.

TS-08

I'm actually surprised by the reviews so far. I know 8 was considered an awesome game, and that this version has new content and some upgrades, but I figured most reviews would hang around the 8 mark almost out of principle due to being an enhanced port/remaster/whatever term you prefer. Regardless, I'm happy to see this version delivers the goods because I'll be buying it and I didn't own the original.

Also, this thing is going to be huge. Just massive. This will, in my opinion, ultimately outsell 8 on the Wii U and will make sure the Switch continues selling like crazy for a while.

AerialAir

Banned
Nice seeing this getting fantastic reviews, hopefully it will allow the Switch to keep its momentum since we need a healthy Nintendo in the Market.

ChaosXVI

I mean the reviews are basically just a formality. Of course the game is amazing, as it was 3 years ago. The real test for it will be to see how many go and double dip on it.

They've got my sale. Battle mode was actually my favorite thing from the SNES and 64 Karts. Me and my wife played 8 on Wii U to absolute death. Probably played it 5 days out of any given week for like a year and a half.

jonno394

Diddy Kong Racing single player mode is amazing.

Agreed, even if all the adventure mode really a mounts to is "collect balloons and race"

Agreed. They finally have the core gameplay down for the most part, but it still seriously lacks in the sp content department. God I hope they finally make a serious attempt at a good single player mk experience with MK9.

I had hoped MK8 would examine the single player mode of Sonic all stars racing transformed, maybe for MK 9....

The king is back!

TheseAgreeableDragon.gif

DisguisedTangibleLaughingthrush.gif

14333560744_a0e489d9f2_o.gif

Can't wait for all that battle mode.

Zalman

Mario Kart 8 was already the best kart racer ever made when it launched. With the DLC and extra content added for this one, it's going to be even better.

Best racing game in forever easily deserves it. Anyone who hasn't played it needs to. Especially if you're tired of the parade of all too similar realism fetish racers that saturate the market.

I won't be grabbing it because my Wii U version is perfectly good for my needs.

Yoshi88

DualShockers - 80
At the end of the day, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a Mario Kart game and (predictably) fantastic. With a fully upgraded Battle Mode and all the portability that comes with Nintendo Switch, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is undoubtedly the definitive version of the game -- maybe even the series. However, with limited offerings for Mario Kart veterans who shelled out nearly $100 on the last experience, the title will be significantly less rewarding.

Who shelled out nearly 100 $ ?
Even if you bought it at full price point of 60 $ (which was rarely the case, at elast here in EU with Wii U games), the season pass was only 12. Weird.

I also think this correlates greatly to one of the points someone mentioned here about factoring in price point/ new content into a port review (but even then MK8 DX has much more of new content than several other ports of this gen).

Agreed, even if all the adventure mode really a mounts to is "collect balloons and race"

I had hoped MK8 would examine the single player mode of Sonic all stars racing transformed, maybe for MK 9....

Yeah I'm with you. MK8 was a phenomenal game (and MK8D will be too) but it really is missing a huge opportunity to include some decent single player content. It's something that would've kept me coming back to MK8 on the Wii U far longer.

correojon

I always had doubts on claiming MK8 was the best MK ever because of the lack of a real Battle Mode. Everyrhing else was far superior to any previous installment I´d played. This seems to have a Battle Mode up to standards to the rest of the game, so it´s not surprising it´s getting those awesome scores.

Metro Gamecentral gave it 10/10

http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/20/mario-kart-8-deluxe-review-kart-dor-6586488/

In Short: The definitive version of one of the greatest multiplayer games ever, with a vast array of courses, characters, and the best Battle mode since the SNES days.

That line alone makes me hyped as hell. For me MK means escaping red shells by jumping over barriers with the feather in Battle Circuit 1 on the SNES, so being able to do it again with the awesome MK8 engine is all I could´ve asked of the Battle Mode.

If my wife and I want to play 2 player on this, can we use the pro controller and the Joy Cons with grip as our two controllers?

Even if you bought it at full price point of 60 $ (which was rarely the case, at elast here in EU with Wii U games), the season pass was only 12. Weird.

I also think this correlates greatly to one of the points someone mentioned here about factoring in price point/ new content into a port review (but even then MK8 DX has much more of new content than several other ports of this gen).

Yeah that's weird, I paid 72 total and got mk8, wind Waker HD, and the season pass. I don't know any way to spend $100 on mk8

Arkeband

Banned
The amount of 100's seem ridiculous, surely there must be something to dock a point or two over, for example the FPS being capped back down at 30FPS for 3-4 player modes, or the wonky way online play works.

jonno394

Yeah I'm with you. MK8 was a phenomenal game (and MK8D will be too) but it really is missing a huge opportunity to include some decent single player content. It's something that would've kept me coming back to MK8 on the Wii U far longer.

I doubt adding a "world tour" where you have specific challenges across the 48 tracks would require that much effort.

eg.

1) Finish lap in time x
2) Finish at least 3rd when all items are blue shells
3) Finish at least 3rd in entire race as shrunken characters
4) Perform 5 tricks in a race

Phamit

Maybe with with the limited edition + Season Pass + taxes? Idk how they got the 100$ otherwise

Irminsul

The amount of 100's seem ridiculous, surely there must be something to dock a point or two over, for example the FPS being capped back down at 30FPS for 3-4 player modes.
What makes you think fps would play into review scores, like, ever? Especially when they're locked 30 fps.

Some positive scores so far.

I'm in a weird place because I already have MK8 and feel like I won't get much mileage out of this. Good for those other folks tho.

phanphare

Banned
damn, a lot more 100's than I expected. I mean, it is the best kart racer ever made with more content so it makes sense I'm just not used to seeing late ports score so well.

Have to agree with everyone here saying that it's the best kart racer made. The game is just as much fun now as it was when it released three years ago

The amount of 100's seem ridiculous, surely there must be something to dock a point or two over, for example the FPS being capped back down at 30FPS for 3-4 player modes.

Sure, every game has something you can nitpick. But if that nitpick does nothing to diminish the quality of the game it would be pointless to dock points. Very few perfect games exist, but that doesn't mean 100s shouldn't be given to games that set standards in a genre.

Last of Us has some ugly textures here and there, it's a 100.
Resident Evil 4 has some frustratingly designed sections, it's a 100.
Resogun has....something wrong with it I'm sure, but it's a 100.
Tropical Freeze has long load times, it's a 100.
Breath of the Wild has frame rate drops, it's a 100.

etc. etc. etc.

Some positive scores so far.

I'm in a weird place because I already have MK8 and feel like I won't get much mileage out of this. Good for those other folks tho.

I agree that this doesn't seem to be that different from MK8 but what will really wind up being the x-factor for this release is the instant mulitplayer out of the box you get with the Switch. That's why I'm super excited for this game, I can just bring the Switch to a friend's house and we can be playing split-screen instantly.

What makes you think fps would play into review scores, like, ever? Especially when they're locked 30 fps.

FPS plays into review scores quite often.

It's just that docking points because 4 player mode is 30 FPS when it actually provides a 4 player split-screen mode and none of it's modern competitors do is quite stupid.

mindatlarge

Played the hell out of the Wii U version both online, single player and against friends. The new version sounds worthy of another purchase with the added content, especially since I never purchased any of the DLC, and slight improvements to the graphics.

kswiston

damn, a lot more 100's than I expected. I mean, it is the best kart racer ever made with more content so it makes sense I'm just not used to seeing late ports score so well.

Enhanced late ports for great games typically score well.

Edit: unless thet have performance issues.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Just hoping to see a nice boost in online gaf tournaments. Double dipping mostly as an excuse to jump back in :p

Of course, mk8 portable and battle mode are great selling points as well

Top Bottom