• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

Is ad-hoc multiplayer a thing on Switch? If it isn't it should be as this game would be the perfect use case.

I've never understood the use of "ad-hoc" in regards to multiplayer, what's the definition of that supposed to be? Either way, it allows local multiplayer between multiple consoles.

OK, I'm double-dipping. I'll trade in the Wii-U version to help soften the blow. Nintendo games usually hold a good trade-in value, but with the sure-to-be flood of MK8 Wii-U trades coming in I wonder what the value will be.

Plum

I haven't followed the sales thus far, but are there that many more Switch owners already than there were WiiU owners at that time?

Not already, but there very likely will be. The Switch is tracking to beat Wii U in lifetime sales by the end of 2018 at the very latest. Considering that Mario Kart's historically been an "evergreen" title (to Polygon's dismay) we can assume that MK8D deluxe will sell more copies in its lifetime.

I hope playing on a single joycon isn't too bad. I'm ready to try some four player split screen.

Haven't played it yet, but this is one of the few games I feel won't be hampered at all by single joycon play (although you might want to use the wrist strap with the heightened L and R buttons for drifting).

88 Was too low for what was clearly the game of the gen uptil BotW though.

I think a lot of initial reviewers were probably like "fantastic, but ultimately still Mario Kart", but then when they were still playing it six months later were probably more like "okay this is pretty fucking great".

I loved mk 8, probably my most played wii u games, but the battle mode was a huge loss as someone with very nostalgic memories of it from 64 and double dash

tuffy

I've never understood the use of "ad-hoc" in regards to multiplayer, what's the definition of that supposed to be? Either way, it allows local multiplayer between multiple consoles.
Ad-hoc multiplayer is direct peer-to-peer multiplayer via a local connection, as opposed to requiring each console to have internet access.

ElNino

MK is a game that sells during an entire gen. Even the 3DS version still sells.
Not already, but there very likely will be. The Switch is tracking to beat Wii U in lifetime sales by the end of 2018 at the very latest. Considering that Mario Kart's historically been an "evergreen" title (to Polygon's dismay) we can assume that MK8D deluxe will sell more copies in its lifetime.
Of course, MK always has long legs. I'm just not sure if I see the Switch getting that much ahead of of the WiiU for MK8D to sell that much more. While there are likely people who skipped the WiiU and might be now getting the Switch, there are also people who owned the WiiU who are waiting on the Switch (this is where I am... although I'm tempted to double dip for MK8D battle mode).

J@hranimo

Banned
Of course, MK always has long legs. I'm just not sure if I see the Switch getting that much ahead of of the WiiU for MK8D to sell that much more. While there are likely people who skipped the WiiU and might be now getting the Switch, there are also people who owned the WiiU who are waiting on the Switch (this is where I am... although I'm tempted to double dip for MK8D battle mode).

To put it in simple terms:

A new Mario Kart on a new Nintendo console in Month 2.

Month. 2.

Ad-hoc multiplayer is direct peer-to-peer multiplayer via a local connection, as opposed to requiring each console to have internet access.

That's what I figured! I just haven't seen anyone use that terminology lately and looking it up didn't really help. The latin translation of "Ad-hoc" really didn't do me any favors. Thanks!

Forkball

You guys remember how meh was Mario Kart Wii? The jump in quality from that to 8 is freaking huge.

Wii was my favorite MK game before 8. Don't you dare insult Moo Moo Meadows or Koopa Cape.

Anyways... yeah it's Mario Kart 8. The battle mode looks like a lot of fun, it should be a blast online. All the characters are unlocked, though you still have to unlock car parts. Just gimme the Master Cycle and I'm set.

But any new tracks and characters?

That will be the decider for me.

Three returning MK vets (King Boo, Dry Bones and Bowser Jr) and two new racers (Inkling Boy, Inkling Girl). Along with Gold Mario, as an unlockable variant for Metal Mario (which is a returning feature from the arcade version of Mario Kart)

Crazyorloco

Great reviews and i'll be buying.

This is the reason why the Mario Kart series has been surpassed by the likes of Diddy Kong Racing and Sonic an All Stars racing transformed for me. Great single player experiences.

Yeah I'm surprised there isn't a story mode by now. Diddy kong racing was made better because of it.

I guess they can add this to Mario kart 9. Even without this Mario kart 8 deluxe is the definitive mario kart experience.

Bunch of new characters (Inkling Boy, Inkling Girl, King Boo, Dry Bones and Bowser Jr) which means new karts, wheels and (presumably) gliders as well.

No new tracks but all Wii U DLC is (thankfully) included.

Okay :( Miss for me then unless they do a lot of DLC with new tracks. Most important thing.

Wut...How do u play a game with a friend online then?

When you go into the online menu there's an option to view your friends list. If a friend is currently in a lobby, you can join that lobby if there's an opening. You can also choose to create your own lobby, in which case you should text your friends and say, "Hey, the lobby is open." You can choose to make that private if you wish I believe. So while there is no invite option in-game, you can definitely play with friends.

Damn those are great scores. I was on the fence about hunting down a Switch for bbq season looks like I’ll see you all launch day in line hopefully they decide to have consoles available.

Crom

But any new tracks and characters?

That will be the decider for me.

16 new tracks (the Wii U DLC tracks)
6 new characters (Wii U DLC)
6 new characters (exclusive to Switch)
Palette swaps
New vehicles
New Battle modes (5 modes)
8 Battle mode courses
1080p
60 FPS

jxN3

You can't invite your friends? Is this forreal? So a private match amongst friends isn't possible? Or can they join with a code or something, and I just can't invite them?

TS-08

If the Switch sells, say, 35 million lifetime, that would probably be a big disappointment to Nintendo. But it would still be more than 20 million more units sold than the Wii U. Now maybe you don't think the Switch will come close to that. I wouldn't have predicted it before the release. But now I (and I'm assuming others in here) think reaching that number is more than possible. In fact, I'm pretty confident at this point it will do more. That leads me to believe Deluxe will surpass the Wii U version, and I don't think it'll be all that dependent on double dipping (even though I do think there will be a decent amount of that).

Sevenfold

bricktop-snatch-goodie-gumdrops.jpg

Fliesen

"ad hoc" means that two consoles in close vicinity do not need to be both connected to a wireless network / wireless access point, but they form an ad-hoc device-to-device network. It's like "System-Link" vs. "Xbox Live"

It's the proper use of "ad hoc networking"

Revven

You can't invite your friends? Is this forreal? So a private match amongst friends isn't possible? Or can they join with a code or something, and I just can't invite them?

You just can't invite them. You create a Friend's Only room and you have to message them on your Switch and/or other medium telling them to join your room.

happy to see it reviewing well though not surprised. i'm a bit shocked it doesn't get as dinged for it's basic single player campaign as much. i feel like other titles get criticized harder for less, where MK rarely makes significant improvements. but what cna i expect it's got that nintendo kart racer magic that everyone holds near and dear

Top Bottom