• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 is beautiful.

MisterM

It's a nice enough looking game and Nintendo have done well with it to make it 720p/60 but I can't believe people are saying it's the most beautiful game they have ever seen.

munchie64

Self-fellating isn't exactly looked down upon here is it? Because every developer/company under the sun gets something of the sort now and then (usually when they deserve it mind you!).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Maybe it's because I only have a 32'' HDTV, but the jaggies are barely noticeable in this game. And i'm the guy that couldn't stand the jaggies on Wii games like Xenoblade, Mario Galaxy and Zelda Skyward Sword on the same TV.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Indeed, they really put a lot of effort into making the game look good but also adding the small extra detail that you wouldn't even look at in a racing game.

Just imagine how a current gen Mario Kart will look like, when Nintendo finally releases a current gen machine.

Bad post is bad, Wii U is current gen ergo Mario Kart 8 is current gen.

You mean like a 30 fps/720p game? I'm pretty sure Mario Kart is there.

Another bad post Mario Kart 8 is 720p/60fps unless you do 4 player races then it goes down to 30fps.

phanphare

Banned
it really does look amazing. it's the lighting, color palette, and animations coming together in perfect harmony. so good. the jaggies are unfortunate because they make screens look not as good but in motion it looks fantastic.

Self-fellating? Have you ever been to a Naughty Dog related thread?

Well to be fair, Naughty Dogs threads aren't really self-fellating. They tend to be more focused on bizarre anal insertions.

MK8 was the most beautiful current gen game that I'd played before playing TLoU:R though. I haven't played Ryse but Second Son can't get the nod because there were just to many performance sacrifices made to achieve its graphic fidelity imo.

MK8 and TLoU get the balance just right between artistic and technical performance to me.

Jigolo

Haha yup it looks amazing. Makes me wish I had a 60 inch TV to immerse myself in. But I'm just here playing on my tiny 32 inch TV

Stopped playing it for a month and came back to it a few days ago and it's pretty refreshing to see it have the same effect on you as it did the first time you play it. Such a good looking game.

Haha yup it looks amazing. Makes me wish I had a 60 inch TV to immerse myself in. But I'm just here playing on my tiny 32 inch TV
I play it on a 65" and yes, it's amazing to see. Maybe it's just my set's video processing but it's really hard to notice the jaggies and shimmering at any other point but while waiting at the starting line. I never notice them during races or when watching replays.
Stopped playing it for a month and came back to it a few days ago and it's pretty refreshing to see it have the same effect on you as it did the first time you play it. Such a good looking game.
Yep, the really special games are the ones that you leave for a while and then come back and it shocks you again. Coincidentally MK7 had this effect on 3DS. It's still one of the best looking 60fps in 3D games on the system.

Ya definitely and it looks even better in motion. Add that with its amazing soundtrack, and its level of presentation is absolutely phenomenal.

Self-fellating? Have you ever been to a Naughty Dog related thread?
I have, and I feel same way about them.

I was tired and I've not been feeling well and should have maybe kept my opinion to myself. For that I apologise.

So I shall leave this thread with a positive. My two and half year old shouted Me-me-o before I left the house this morning. We proceeded have a couple games of Mario Kart. Me driving - him honking the horn on the pad screen remorselessly at everyone I passed in online. It's not just about the graphics.

scitek

I just got the game, and oh my fucking dog. This is the best-looking game I've ever played. It's like dreaming with my eyes open. My only complaint so far is that a few of the stages should have less bloom.

And to people complaining about jaggies: calibrate your display. I game on a monitor, and jaggies are way worse on the vast majority of PS3 games. It's barely noticeable in MK8.

From Mario Kart Wii to this...holy fucking shit. I can barely believe my eyes. Mario Kart isn't supposed to look this good.

The game having no AA whatsoever has nothing to do with display calibration.

nkarafo

So far this is the console game that impressed me the most. I played Second Son and i didn't care for it that much, visually. My eyes feel better with MK8, for some reason. Maybe its the fluid 60fps. Maybe its the fact that it looks like a Pixar movie with almost no imperfections or glitches. Maybe its the little graphical touches here and there. Maybe its the animations. Dunno.

Soi-Fong

Art style and color palette is amazing. Nintendo has always been amazing at these two aspects.

Really makes me salivate at what they can do with better hardware.

Davey Cakes

The lack of anti-aliasing is the ONLY problem with the game, visually.

Everything else about it is astoundingly gorgeous, colorful, detailed, and full of personality.

It's just about a perfect looking game from an art direction standpoint.

I'm trying to think of what tracks really sell the prettiness of it all. Perhaps Sweet Mountain is a good example. But hell, why even try to pick? The vast majority of the tracks look phenomenal.

Good to see Nintendo getting to grips with HD.

Really too bad this wasn't out at Wii U launch. It would have made people view the Wii U differently. Stuff like NSMBU had a whiff of previous gen.

Leatherface

Mario Kart 8 isn't perfect (I do notice the jaggies and that takes it down juuuuust slightly), but Nintendo did such a great job with effects that everything in the game has this weird fantasy land realism to it and things just pops to life. Everything from the perfect sheen of a turtle shell to puddles on the road and the superb lighting, it just seems that the development team really are masters of getting the most out of their hardware. It's really impressive to see. As someone who is a "graphics whore", I am very impressed with what Nintendo continues to get out of that little WiiU. :)

Yep, it's astounding. I have a hard time thinking of a game with more visually interesting environments. You can race on those tracks a hundred times and notice new details each time.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like something out of Pixar to me. That's the highest compliment I can give a game with that artstyle.

All technical considerations aside, in terms of art direction MK8's visuals are just so fresh and invigorating, coming from playing mainly PC with a GTX680, (so I'm maxing almost all games at 1080p + 60fps,) MK8 was still breathtaking to behold.

I'm playing MK8 on a fairly old 26" 720p TV, so maybe being a smaller TV and close to native res helps, but MK8's graphics still hold up to the best of what PC 1080p 60fps has to offer in terms of a HD gaming experience for me, despite the vast technical gulf between them.

Of course it's on a much weaker system in the Wii U, but it just goes to show that a simpler style of art direction can go the extra mile.

phanphare

Banned
It seems to be a slow paced game. I wouldn't rule out 1080/30... like WindWaker? It doesn't seem to involve fast paced action where timing is crucial.

I'm just assuming 60fps because 3D World was 60fps and this game looks to have much smaller levels than 3D World did so I think they could pull off 720p/60fps with AA and lighting upgrades. at least that's what it looks like to me but I'm not super savvy with video game technology or techniques.

is there an archived twitch stream of Captain Toad on Treehouse Live @ E3? I think you'd be able to tell if it's 60fps from that.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm just assuming 60fps because 3D World was 60fps and this game looks to have much smaller levels than 3D World did so I think they could pull off 720p/60fps with AA and lighting upgrades. at least that's what it looks like to me but I'm not super savvy with video game technology or techniques.

is there an archived twitch stream of Captain Toad on Treehouse Live @ E3? I think you'd be able to tell if it's 60fps from that.

Toad looked very smooth on the Treehouse's stream, I think it will be 60 fps.

Davey Cakes

I never actually watched that Captain Toad trailer until now.

But yes, "comically good looking" sounds pretty apt to me. They should be able to do a lot more with the visuals and IQ considering the smaller scale of the stages, too.

Nintendo just makes good looking games. I think another great example is Nintendo Land, which is severely underappreciated.

It is indeed gorgeous. The various details and animations help sell it as well. The art really helps give off a bit of that "Pixar" look that I always wanted the series to take on when going "HD".

Never has the Mushroom Kingdom been more beautifully realized in my eyes. ...And this is from a Mario Kart game! XD

OmegaFax

Toad Harbor and N64 Rainbow Road are two tracks where I noticed some aggressive changes to the level of detail at a short distance ahead of my racer.

For example, the tracks of the trollies or the outer edge of the track (in Rainbow Road). Textures will become crisper in rapid stages very close to your racer. Tend to notice this more because my eyes follow the edges when I'm racing competitively.

Coins and spectating characters will pop in. Toad and Yoshi have low polygon versions utilized at even a very short distance. Large crowds are billboarded in there.

For a racing game, even under insane scrutiny, the detail is absolutely fantastic. Even things that probably won't be seen 99.9% of the time like the wood backing (with nails) on the back of the fake Goombas in Piranha Plant Slide or Peach's statue off in the distance on N64 Rainbow Road.

phanphare

Banned
I never actually watched that Captain Toad trailer until now.

But yes, "comically good looking" sounds pretty apt to me. They should be able to do a lot more with the visuals and IQ considering the smaller scale of the stages, too.

Nintendo just makes good looking games. I think another great example is Nintendo Land, which is severely underappreciated.

yep. they may get shit on to no end about their hardware choices but they are unparalleled on the software side.

Top Bottom